04-03-2011, 04:59 PM
I'm liking the look of this hat now

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/7050/imagewkp.jpg

RCSignals
04-03-2011, 06:37 PM
It really suits you

djd
04-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Ta mate! I'm torn between this one and my raiders AB for my orient express lunch later this month. When my suit arrives from Magnoli I'll know better

Renderking Fisk
04-03-2011, 09:35 PM
It's great to put a face to your posts. Akubra was my favorite fedora for a while. I still think they're terrific.

djd
04-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Theyre certainly great value for money hats. My Schubert SoC is my absolute favourite but the dragged from s truck look is not what I'm aiming for this time ;)

Renderking Fisk
04-03-2011, 09:54 PM
What size is it, just wondering...

djd
04-03-2011, 10:04 PM
60cm

djd
04-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Have to decided this is the one I'm wearing for my orient express trip tomorrow. Part of the reason is the threat of possible rain... I don't want to risk my AB. Sad I know

deadseascrolls
04-14-2011, 01:54 PM
I don't want to risk my AB. Sad I know

Not sad at all DJD. I fully understand that decision and given the wait-times as well as high price for one now, it's MUCH HARDER to replace an AB than it is an Akubra. The AB is a nice dress hat but I wouldn't want to risk the chance of rain or other watery elements either. So :goodjob: on your decision to go with the AB. If I ever can find enough time to just "sit down" for awhile and upload pictures, etc. I've got a couple hatters I'd like to recommend and think everyone here might be interested in. They're relatively "unknowns" to most of the fan realm, but their quality and pricing is out of this world.

Stay Tuned!

djd
04-14-2011, 05:43 PM
Cheers DSS

When you look at Fedoralounge and other vintage sites you do realise that outside of the Indy universe there are a lot of skilled hatters about. Not that theres anything wrong with the ones we have ;D

RCSignals
04-14-2011, 06:39 PM
True djd, except at Fedora Lounge there seems to be mostly one hatter in favour.

But there are more hatters about than generally known. They don't all start with raw bodies though, some are more hat 'stylists'. That isn't to insult them, but there is a difference I think.
I wonder if there are any who do it all from felting to finished hat?

djd
04-14-2011, 06:46 PM
You know far more about it than I do RC. I guess as my horizons have started to expand into other vintage style things I've just started to realise some more of the options. That said, I think JPs vintage styles are hard to beat

RCSignals
04-14-2011, 07:07 PM
There have been some great hats and people getting involved. Fedoraiders, Gunslinger both have done some great work.
JP has been doing great work on his hats always improving and expanding well beyond Indiana Jones. I think he always was with the other styles but we mostly saw the I-J styles from people.
It's nice to see a return to custom hats. For a while all there were was the big company mass produced types and even those were waining. Stetson isn't what it used to be, neither is Biltmore. Has Dorfman ever offered a higher end hat? Other than the 100% Beaver special edition KotCS hat they had?
I guess even in Britain and Europe the custom hatters became fewer and far between.
There is a slow return to the 'Fedora' and more traditional style hats, and not just on 'older' guys.
It always amases me the huge back log of orders some of these hatters have. Someone has to be wearing them!