PDA

View Full Version : Todd Coyle Standard, how does it look?

New Yorker Jones
03-22-2011, 03:26 AM
What do you guys think of its fit? I have the straps cinched all the way. Granted this is not the belt I will wear when Indy but I wore my LL Bean Indy pants to work today. ;D As of now this is my only Indy jacket, $149 shipped off ebay :)

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/JimCem99/Todd%20Coyle%20Standard/

RCSignals
03-22-2011, 04:26 AM
The arm length is good. It might be a bit big especially if you have the straps done up tight. Is it from Todd Coyle eBay page?

You can probably wear it in the rain and let it dry on you and it will take up a bit.

djd
03-22-2011, 08:12 AM
It's looking like a TOD type fit to me- good though. I'd be inclined to shrink it a tad by washing it

New Yorker Jones
03-22-2011, 10:59 AM
Thanks guys. Reason why I bought this is that I have a Todd Coyle custom that shrunk too much by washing it. If I wear it in the rain and wear it dry, how much would it shrink?

djd
03-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Maybe a little. It's the application of heat during the drying process that seems to cause the greatest shrinkage though. You could try only soaking particular areas to see if you can just get shrinkage where you want it?

Kt Templar
03-22-2011, 11:25 AM
It looks like a reasonable fit.

One of the things that I hate is the 'frankenstein's monster' pose. It bears no relation to real world usage and it just ends up with people getting sleeves that are too long. The longer your arms are the more you will need the sleeves to be long in the rested position as they have further to travel when your arms are bent.

Bend your arms in a normal driving position, a nice fit is when the cuffs just brush your wrist bone. But sometimes you can't have it all. Sometimes it drowns at the 'rest' position or it rides up the arms at drive the difference can be as little as 1/2 an inch.

Frustrating I know, heck the time of day and the temperature can change the way a jacket fits!

RCSignals
03-22-2011, 05:40 PM
One of the things that I hate is the 'frankenstein's monster' pose.

Agreed. the other nonsense test for fit people use is the extreme arms crossed in front. Not just arms folded in front but but forced as far as possible with elbows passing each other.
who does that in real life? The result is choosing a much too large jacket in the chest and back.

New Yorker Jones
03-22-2011, 10:45 PM

Agreed. the other nonsense test for fit people use is the extreme arms crossed in front. Not just arms folded in front but but forced as far as possible with elbows passing each other.
who does that in real life? The result is choosing a much too large jacket in the chest and back.

Well I guess I did that since everyone else does that in pics. That and it was late, didn't give it much more thought. But you and KT are right, it doesn't seem to make sense when you think about it. But I never did the arms crossed.

Other than that, the fit looks good except perhaps a bit big in the body? I don't want to shrink it since I can't lose any room with my long arms and torso, and being at 6'4".

RCSignals
03-23-2011, 05:19 AM
Sorry I didn't mean you did the extreme arm cross thing. Just that it seems to be something that is done often by people.

I can understand the sleeve length issue, and right now yours looks perfect. I'd suggest as I said, wear it out in the rain, le tit dry while wearing. Don't put it in the dryer unless it is just on 'air' Heat will shrink it, and may shrink the lining differently or leave it 'too large' for the shrunken jacket.

It's lamb so it should have some stretch, so if part feels like it is going the wrong direction give it a tug.

RaidersBash
03-23-2011, 12:25 PM
I think it looks PERFECT and SCREEEEEEEAMS Raiders.

I wouldn't change a thing. The Todd's Standard does shrink A LOT when given a water treatment, and I think the fit of yours is spot on.

Just normal wear will have it conforming to your frame in no time.

PLUS, if you give it a water treatment, all that butter softness of the leather goes BYE-BYE!

The benefit of the water treatment though, is that as the leather tigtens from shrinking, it does become much much tougher (hence the loss of softness).

Kt Templar
03-23-2011, 12:36 PM
NYJ, please don't take that criticism personally! It's just the pose that has become 'embedded'. If you know what I mean!

:)

K-Wad
03-24-2011, 12:47 AM

It seems to have replaced the "Airplane" pose (that's where you zip your jacket up, stick your arms straight out to the sides and face the camera, thus showing that your new jacket does/does not have the "flying squirrel thing" going on). I remember that was a popular pose for a while.

NYJones,

I think the new jacket looks good on you.

Zane
03-24-2011, 01:23 AM
Jim,

I think your jacket looks absolutely marvelous! I love mine! Enjoy that bad boy and talk a walk in a light rain shower and it should help like RC mentioned. Raiders all the way! :banllama:

Zane :afro:

New Yorker Jones
03-24-2011, 02:29 AM
Thanks guys! And RC/KT, no worries. Nothing personal taken; I know you guys meant well and there were no bad intentions.

crismans
03-24-2011, 02:43 AM
Looks really good. The sleeves are great. It might be a bit too big in the body, but nothing that detracts. Maybe wear it in the rain or a quick spritz in the shower.

Even though I know it has happened to others, I have never had a jacket shrink from washing it, nothing that a good tug here and there would fix (and I've washed a ton). But I was always washing to knock off some shine. So I would use cold/cold and then air dry. So maybe get it wet and then wear it and it should mold more to you for even a better look.

RaidersBash
03-24-2011, 03:09 AM
I've watered a few myself, and my Todd's Standard is the only one that REALLY shrank.

When I bought it, I was in Todd's shop and tried on several. I wanted one that was quite roomy even with my hoodie sweater which I was wearing. Found one that was great and allowed for plenty freedom of movement.

Not so after the shower treatment. The backpanel creeped up 2-3 inches. The sleeves probably about the same in length, but also in width so it became rather tight and binding with any sweater, not to mention the shortening of the jacket then made any sweater I wore with it stick out the bottom quite a bit....and looked pretty dumb.

I've since re-wetted the back of the jacket, used 6 or 7 quick clamps for woodworking attached to the bottom and a rod through the middles with weights attached, that gave me back SOME of the length in the back panel.

I later wetted the sleeves, hung the jacket and used gatoraid bottles in the sleeves to get some length back.

My Todd's is my favorite jacket because it's so raiders, but it's not the same jacket since the water treatment i guess is my point

BUT IT STILL ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crismans
03-24-2011, 03:19 AM
Understood, and yours is the opinion that I would go with as you have the experience. I've washed a Todd's custom but never my standard.

PLATON
04-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Looks good,
what is the size?
measurements?