PDA

View Full Version : My Faithfull Old Wested

Weston
03-04-2011, 03:08 AM
As requested, here's my Wested Raider's jacket, darn near old enough to get it's drivers license.

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/9237/dsc0351m.jpg

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/8189/dsc0356ys.jpg

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/4672/dsc0354r.jpg

It was spanking new in 1997. No custom options were available at that time, this was Wested's pattern, free of fan influence, and COA'd by Peter Botwright. He was very pleasant to talk to over the phone, and freely talked about recent projects, including the latest Bond movie at the time (Tommorow Never Dies). Great memories; it's had a full life so far, and alot of life left in it. It even survived my obsessive nit-picking over details, and has recently been rebuilt by the great folks at Wested.

Weston

crismans
03-04-2011, 03:46 AM
Thanks for posting these, Weston. Beautiful jacket with that great look that you can only get in a jacket by wearing it!

It is the pattern I was thinking of with the "rounder" pockets and strap attachment at the pockets. The Blue Label jacket that Wings came out with a couple of years ago (supposedly based on an unused Raiders stunt jacket) looks very similar in the details. Sebas posted a jacket with the same pattern. I think his was made in the early 90s? If so, we have this pattern running from the early 90s to 97 at least.

As I've talked about before, I wonder why (if the story we've heard is correct) Peter made a jacket more like what we think of as the hero (based on talks with Lee Keppler) then switched to this pattern and then switched back? I'd love to hear Peter's take on this, but I can understand his reticence as he's been burned a lot.

RCSignals
03-04-2011, 04:37 AM
Great jacket Weston.

It is also very much like Faststreetsofhongkong's Leather Concessionaires jacket.

New Yorker Jones
03-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Nice looking jacket, I love it!

kramstaar
03-05-2011, 12:03 AM
Mateā€¦ That's a simply brilliant Jacket!!!!

Cheers for sharing

Kind regards

MARK

HWaltonJonesJr.Phd
03-05-2011, 01:50 AM
SO many details that should have never been changed... that is a great old Wested, Weston

Weston
03-05-2011, 02:20 AM
Thanks everyone! It really has gotten better with time. Glad you like it.

Weston

Kt Templar
03-05-2011, 08:03 AM
The return to the appreciation of these older Westeds/Leather Concessionaires is very nice. They are like old friends to many of us.

I had one of these and sold it and still regret it. It was probably form about 2000.

My oldest one now is from 2005 it still feels fantastic whenever I wear it.

Tibor
03-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Wow. One of the all-time best I've ever seen. Is it all natural distressing? Really, just brilliant. Details could be argued, but the overall vibe is all Raiders, right off Ford's back.

Oh, and of course, should you feel the need to make room in your closet and sell it, please don't hesitate to contact me... ;D

Weston
03-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Thanks Tibor! It is pretty much all natural, though recently I hit it with with some fine grit sandpaper to blend in some areas. There was a spot where my in-laws psycho cat tried to shred it, and a spot on the back where some chemical had made an unsightly splotch that leeched some color out. There is a difference between looking worn and looking ratty, and it was heading towards ratty until I used the sandpaper to blend it in. It didn't take much at all. Mostly, it just took 14 years of wearing it to make it look like it does now.

Weston

Kazim
04-11-2011, 01:03 AM
Weston, what is the weight of the leather like ? It looks light, maybe not as light as a Todd's but on the lighter side. That's one of the best I've seen, congrats on it.

Weston
04-11-2011, 05:00 AM
Thanks Kazim!. The Wested is just a bit heavier than the Todd's, but not by much. Bpth of them are very lightweight, but strong. If your gathering information for a purchasing desicion, keep in mind that the leather that both makers use has probably changed since my jackets were made.

Weston

Garzo
04-19-2011, 08:02 AM
Great looking jacket. Is that lambskin?

Unlucky Berman
04-19-2011, 09:35 AM
And it aged proudly. If it would be a watch then it would have the right amount of patina. ;) I hope my own Wested looks as good with that age and yeah 1997, seems so long ago. Why do our clothes sometimes look better with the years while we always become victim of the "mileage" and may even don't fit into them anylonger? :hairguy:

Weston
04-23-2011, 05:45 PM
Yes Garzo, it is Wested's Dark Brown Lamb.

Thanks Berman! It is true that the patina on a well worn leather jacket is more attractive than the patina on well worn people. Such is life!

Weston