PDA

View Full Version : Just so we are understanding the structure here...

theman
08-09-2010, 01:47 AM
I am guessing that forum members shouldn't be posting pictures of their Indy jackets in 'The Jacket' forum and instead we should all post our jacket pictures in the 'Reviews' forum much further down, correct?
I will try to add/write reviews to go with the jackets I post so that they will fit better in the 'Reviews' section if that is the case.

crismans
08-09-2010, 01:57 AM
As it's been explained to me, if you are using your jacket to explain a point about the movie jacket (such as Kurt using his to illustrate the striations), then it can go in the jacket section (which is for discussion of the jackets we see on screen). If you're doing a review of a new jacket, then it goes in the jacket review section. I believe the thought is to have all of the reviews in one place so that people can use them when they're deciding/looking to buy a new jacket. It was felt that reviews might get lost in the jacket shuffle as the postings increase.

admin
08-09-2010, 02:05 AM
Thanks, C! Beat me to the punch. Here's the "official announcement" on it but Crisman explained it perfectly.

http://www.fortuneandglory.org/index.php?topic=68.0

RCSignals
08-09-2010, 04:13 AM
I don't think there is a rigid review format here, and what you wrote works well in the jacket reviews section. They are just trying to keep the jacket section for talk of the movie jacket I believe, and keep the other jackets of 'today' in a place that is easy for people to find.

crismans
08-09-2010, 12:47 PM
I don't think there is a rigid review format here, and what you wrote works well in the jacket reviews section. They are just trying to keep the jacket section for talk of the movie jacket I believe, and keep the other jackets of 'today' in a place that is easy for people to find.

That is my understanding. I don't think there's any kind of structure to reviews either. You can give a massive desertation or say "Have a look at my new purdy jacket!" Either one is fine!

theman
08-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Aaaah, well I can understand the review point of view, but in my usual point to posting pictures of any jacket I display is to show what a proper jacket is supposed to look like...this is so other members can easily see that the correct jacket is attainable from certain sources. Myself being a member looking for the same type of info would first hit the jacket section of any forum before bothering with culling through the reviews section further down. Once I found the correct looking jacket there, then I may go to the reviews for further research on the maker.
Maybe I should use movie reference shots in tandem w/ my pics as to better illustrate my point. I generally don't even like doing reviews as the pics say more and better than I do, and won't be misread in any way.
So in other words I feel the jacket section should be a resource to find good jackets for yourself as well as disussing the original. Because let's face it, you can debate for decades, and write specs out til the COWs come home, but until you get a decent rendition of the jacket in question on your back what good does any of that stuff do?

I don't want to go against the grain if I am alone in the way I browse a forum, but just thought i'd put that out there in case others have the same process.

Btw all puns intended. :)

admin
08-09-2010, 02:25 PM
FWIW, I think we are used to the structure of "another board" and that is the primary reason for our impulse to put our gear pics in the "Jacket" or "Hat" section. When I first came to a certain Indy gear board, I had never been on one before and I had no such inclination. I didn't know where to find reviews of gear I could buy and it was a problem finding them at first. I've heard this complaint from many a newcomer to another board as well, so I don't think I'm alone in my experience. Hence the reason for trying this new structure here. I think once we get "re-trained" it will no longer seem odd to us, and new members will have an easier time finding reviews of gear they might want to buy. And as stated, it's not as if you can't talk about your gear in the Hat, Jacket, etc. areas - just as long as the thread is driven primarily by a discussion of some aspect of the movie props, rather than just showing off your gear.

theman
08-10-2010, 02:26 AM
I by no means think this should mimic any other forum. Starting from the ground up in a fresh way is definitely a good idea... I would hope to help make sure this place comes up in the best way possible.
As far as showing off gear, I have no desire to show off gear, except when it pertains to showing off a replica jacket as correct as possible. If I just merely show a jacket worn with a random t-shirt and jeans many dimensions of the jacket can be overlooked or not seen in their correct ratios. Bottom line is I am trying to match up as closely as possible to how the original jacket is seen in the movie so that people can see that jacket is attainable. I feel this goes more towards confirming jacket specs, and proper leather used in the originals, than it does towards just showing off gear or reviewing a jacket.
I have been part of many different types of forums, Cars, Props, Weapons, Jackets, Style, TV, movies, comics, etc... so I am not by any means having another Indy forum site in mind when I look at this place. I would urge us to all help in growing and structuring this place in the best way possible and really think about what areas threads really fit in or bridge over.
If I thought my posts about these particular jackets were a review type I would have definitely looked at putting them in that section first.

I also hope I don't come off as argumentative either, sometimes I am just about the topic... I feel good truthful debate and threads progressing naturally are a great way to get ideas to the surface for all to see.

Gunslinger
08-10-2010, 02:52 AM
I think everyone here appreciates the input Dan - and is open to ideas and observations about all of this stuff from all members - these debates need to be thrashed out, and sooner is better than later.

admin
08-10-2010, 02:58 AM
I don't wish to be argumentative either, theman, and I do see where you are coming from. :) But I hope you can see where I am coming from as well. When I see a post entitled "My Nowak TOD jacket" that consists solely of photos of yourself posing in your Nowak jacket, with no accompanying dialogue or "hook" into a conversation about the jacket in the film, I would classify it only as a post showing off your jacket, whether this was your intent or not. If you wish it to be a lead-in to a conversation about the movie jacket, you probably should add some dialogue stating so. I have tried to make it clear that it is fine for members to post photos of their gear in the movie prop discussion section, but they should be clearly a lead-in to some conversation about the movie prop. I just feel as though if I let posts like your stay in the movie prop discussion area, everyone will start posting their gear there and the whole purpose of having a separate "gear showing"/review area will be lost. Now, if everyone on the site is frustrated and confused by having a separate gear-show/review board, I will give thought to abandoning it - I want to do things the way that makes sense to me, but not at the cost of frustrating all my members. Perhaps I should run a poll. So far I feel I have some support for doing it this way, but perhaps it is just deference to me because this is my site. Feedback, everyone?

Chewbacca Jones
08-10-2010, 03:41 PM
I like the separation. It will keep things less cluttered for research purposes. If you want to know about a film prop, you go to one place. If you want to know about the reproductions, you go someplace else.

I also think that discussion of replica "accuracy" should be in the Show Off areas, because that is part of what people will want to know about the replicas.

What I think does need to be established is where do we go to post questions about the various replicas. For example, a thread like "I live in a very rainy area. Which Wested hide would be best for my jacket?" Or "Who has experience buying from Penman Hats?"

admin
08-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Good question, Chewy! I would say for vendor-specific questions, if the vendor has a board (like Penman and Wested do here) you might ask in their respective boards. That is partly what they are there for. If it is more general gear questions, you can probably ask in the Gear FAQ or prop section. I'm not going to be too fussy about where such questions are asked, because I think most people here will jump on the question and help wherever it appears and the person will get the help they need. Does that answer your question?

RCSignals
08-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Maybe the title of this section should be expanded and not be simply 'The Jacket'?

crismans
08-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Maybe the title of this section should be expanded and not be simply 'The Jacket'?

Maybe the Film Jackets or some other qualifier?

jasonalun
08-11-2010, 01:14 AM
That's a good idea, Crisman. I'm going to go with that if no one has objections.

Chewbacca Jones
08-11-2010, 01:26 AM
Good question, Chewy! I would say for vendor-specific questions, if the vendor has a board (like Penman and Wested do here) you might ask in their respective boards. That is partly what they are there for. If it is more general gear questions, you can probably ask in the Gear FAQ or prop section. I'm not going to be too fussy about where such questions are asked, because I think most people here will jump on the question and help wherever it appears and the person will get the help they need. Does that answer your question?

Works for me. I guess if it proves to require more structure it can changed later, rather than risking overkill now. :police:

Weston
08-11-2010, 03:43 AM
Sounds good to me, so long as I never, ever see anything referred to as "SA" again! :rolleyes: Who am I kidding, that will never happen!

By the way, great looking forum, and; howdy folks!

Weston

Gunslinger
08-11-2010, 04:00 AM
Don't worry, we promise we will ALWAYS use the full phrase, and never hypenate. :)

crismans
08-11-2010, 04:20 AM
Sounds good to me, so long as I never, ever see anything referred to as "SA" again! :rolleyes: Who am I kidding, that will never happen!

By the way, great looking forum, and; howdy folks!

Weston

Glad to see you around, Weston. And I can't guarantee you'll never see that abbreviation, but no one will hold it against you if that's not your cup of tea! ;)