PDA

View Full Version : Price of USW jackets

Raider S
02-07-2011, 10:54 PM
I received an oversized postcard from USW in the mail today with a glossy color photo of the Legend bison jacket on one side and a long paragraph describing the details on the back. While I'm not a fan of the bison based on the photo (the splotches on the leather reminds me of a painted canvas backdrop you'd see in a photo studio) the thing that caught me was the price; $595 plus $19.95 shipping. I haven't been on the USW site recently but that certainly seems to be a premium for a non-custom jacket.

Anyone else getting the postcards? They must have some marketing money because it's a nice card and has a first class stamp on it.

G-MANN
02-07-2011, 11:00 PM
On the US Wings site the price has gone up to $684.00 for the Bison and $569.00 for the US Made Lamb Legend Jackets.

bendingoak
02-08-2011, 01:40 AM
When you quite prices can you put a date as well. That would really help. :(

crismans
02-08-2011, 01:55 AM
The problem is (maybe this was what you were alluding to, Bendingoak) is that the prices--both advertised and promised--have jumped around so much that it's hard to keep up with it. I used to say that Wings (based on price and construction) was the best deal on the market. I don't believe that claim can be made any more. With the introduction of these other leathers and the dropping of their value goat (which was a great deal), they are have outstripped G and B, haven't they? And you can get a custom jacket from Magnoli for less than a Wings off the rack now (and despite whatever shortcomings, do not leave out Wested who can still turn out a winner).

I know that their management has been telling us for a while about the rising price of leather. But to jump around $100 in a month (for the US made lamb legend, for example) seems a bit extreme. Especially when I haven't seen a comparable jump anywhere else.

K-Wad
02-10-2011, 05:05 PM
The Import SL Legends reappeared on the website, then three days later the price jumped up by $59.
Why is this only happening to Wings?

You can still get a CUSTOM made Wested for LESS that a Pakistani made OTR Wings. ???
How is that possible?

G-MANN
02-10-2011, 05:10 PM
Wings prices are jumping around like a horny Jackrabbit these days. Glad I'm done with them.

crismans
02-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Wings prices are jumping around like a horny Jackrabbit these days. Glad I'm done with them.

Seconded on both points.

And again, why is it only Wings prices that are being sporadic? And why no outcry from those defenders of the consumer who have railed against price increases before.

bendingoak
02-10-2011, 11:12 PM
The problem is (maybe this was what you were alluding to, Bendingoak) is that the prices--both advertised and promised--have jumped around so much that it's hard to keep up with it. I used to say that Wings (based on price and construction) was the best deal on the market. I don't believe that claim can be made any more. With the introduction of these other leathers and the dropping of their value goat (which was a great deal), they are have outstripped G and B, haven't they? And you can get a custom jacket from Magnoli for less than a Wings off the rack now (and despite whatever shortcomings, do not leave out Wested who can still turn out a winner).

I know that their management has been telling us for a while about the rising price of leather. But to jump around $100 in a month (for the US made lamb legend, for example) seems a bit extreme. Especially when I haven't seen a comparable jump anywhere else.

Yep, that's it. Im just to confused on the whole thing. You need a score card.

Weston
02-10-2011, 11:23 PM

Seconded on both points.

And again, why is it only Wings prices that are being sporadic? And why no outcry from those defenders of the consumer who have railed against price increases before.

I'll pitch in a comment on this one. I have no idea why the price increase, but from the many e-mails I've echanged with them I've picked up on a few items that may help explain it:

1. A factory closure
2. Negotiations with labor unions
3. Changes at the uppermost levels of management

I don't know if any of you were aware of these things, and while it doesn't explain everything it might at least help answer the question "why them, and no one else."

Weston

Tibor
02-10-2011, 11:42 PM
That's unfortunate. Those are business problems that should not be allowed to become customer's problems. They simply are not in the same league as G&B, and absolutely out of line when you consider Magnoli's custom work.

crismans
02-11-2011, 12:45 AM
Thanks for posting this, Weston. It was very odd since Sarge had been talking about the price of leather going up and Boom! you have these price jumps that aren't happening anywhere else.

Bad for the company as I think the new pricing will hurt them in the long run considering all of the other options. They were, at one time, one of the best bargains in the hobby.

Gunslinger
02-11-2011, 09:32 PM
Ahhh, sweet karma.

RaidersBash
02-12-2011, 12:56 AM

I was done awhile ago myself. After the Imported SL's were sold out from under all those who signed up on the INFAMOUS LIST. :lies: and Sarge PROMISING he would take care of ALL THOSE who were one that list :lies: I guess Sarge and company decided that selling those couple dozen jackets for the promised $195 to certain fan club members was just too cheap.

That's okay. I don't think the jackets look that good anyway, and certainly not the MOST SA jacket it was originally touted as being (original patterns and all). JMO.

Marauder
02-19-2011, 03:04 AM
a Company can charge whatever it wants for whatever they sell. They shouldn't have to justify it.

What I find odd is some companies are criticised for raising their prices, chastised for it, asked for justification, yet others get a free pass from the same people 'upset', not a word said, even when prices are raised from about $200 to about $600 over 6 months or so.

McQueen
02-21-2011, 08:22 AM
Mags lamb has gone up by 100. Goat has remained the same

crismans
02-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Mags lamb has gone up by 100. Goat has remained the same

Thanks for the heads up!

The fact remains, however, that a totally custom jacket from Mags is still less than an OTR from Wings. As a matter of fact, I can think of several quality custom jackets you can get that are cheaper than Wings now. They've gone from one of the best bargains in the (at least) Indy gear arena to, arguably, one of the worst.

RCSignals
02-21-2011, 06:02 PM
True crisman, but lets not forget that that Mags custom jackets are made in India or Pakistan. There is a production cost difference from other manufacturers.

crismans
02-21-2011, 06:55 PM
True crisman, but lets not forget that that Mags custom jackets are made in India or Pakistan. There is a production cost difference from other manufacturers.

Granted, but when I was looking at getting a Surrogates jacket, I talked to Johnson leathers in S.F. who have a good reputation and they could do the jacket in cowhide, totally to my measurements, for around $650. Which is about the same price for a Wings OTR in Bison. And let's not forget that Wested, while they have had some QC issues, can turn out a good custom jacket for around $200-$300 less than the OTR Wings now.

I'm just saying that it's quite a swing that Wings has made and not necessarily in the right direction.

RCSignals
02-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Oh I understand. There is still a difference however in what Johnston leathers can charge/mark up assuming their jacket is US made, and what Mags can charge/mark up.
US wings US made jacket mark up should be far less than Mags.

RCSignals
02-23-2011, 09:38 PM
For anyone who wants a Legend (Import) in cowhide, Wings has them 'on sale' right now for $195.

the cow Hero too

http://www.uswings.com/ijlegend.asp#LGND
http://www.uswings.com/ijhero.asp#IJACOW

crismans
02-24-2011, 01:19 AM
For anyone who wants a Legend (Import) in cowhide, Wings has them 'on sale' right now for $195.

the cow Hero too

http://www.uswings.com/ijlegend.asp#LGND
http://www.uswings.com/ijhero.asp#IJACOW

And without me being a member somewhere else? I'm touched!

But, without a trace sarcasm intended here (and for only this sentence!), Weston does look good in those pics.

DeWayne
02-25-2011, 12:46 PM
Too bad I have even less of an interest in cowhide than I do their lambskin version.