PDA

View Full Version : Ensuring accurate measurements for Riley.

Indysmall
01-24-2011, 10:13 PM
Having 4 Indy Jackets, none of which fit me perfectly, I am going down the Riley Barrie / TNO route. Naturally I want to get a perfect fit.
One of my Wested raiders is a reasonable fit except that the arm holes seem too small particularly under the armpits, another is just too small all over. I have a Wested Last Crusade which is comfortable around the arms but is too short and the US Wings is too big and baggy!

I have seen the post by Riley on placing an order, but is there a diagram to illustrate
A -> B Front Wind Flap
C -> D Chest Across etc
so I can see exactly what and where to measure.
Any tips on achieving the right fit would be gratefully received. :help:

Gunslinger
01-24-2011, 10:34 PM
First, don't worry about anything like arm holes or anything to do with pattern. All you need to worry about is getting your measurements right. Or, I should say, the measurement of your jacket, not yourself.

What I would do is grab your existing jackets and take the measurements off the PARTS that work. And where they don't, picture in your minds eye how much extra or less distance would be needed to get that measurement spot on. If you want a match for the movie, use screen grabs and pose in the same positions. It will show you exactly where your current fit is going wrong and allow you to adjust.

The key measurements are:

Front stormflap height.
Back height (should be the SAME as front - don't bother measuring!)
Pit to Pit
Waist side to side
Shouldertip to tip.
Shouldertip to cuff.

Get those right and Riley will nail it. If need be, post your shots online and we can help.

neutronbomb
01-24-2011, 11:05 PM
Yeah, for sure don't use any of your actual body measurements.

Use jacket measurements that you know like as Gunslinger pointed out. Also, take pictures of you wearing the jacket(s) that you will be using for the measurements and email to Riley. I'm sure he'll then call to discuss.

And yes, please post pics here as Gunslinger mentioned and you can get help. Gunslinger offering his advice to work with you on this in this thread is invaluable.

HWaltonJonesJr.Phd
01-24-2011, 11:12 PM
his screen name should be 'The Wizard of Aus' :D