PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Indy Fedora

jasonalun
08-08-2010, 07:00 PM
Hey everyone! I thought I'd conduct the ultimate unscientific Indy Fedora poll! Vote for your absolute favorite! I know I'm voting for that awesome TOD cockpit hat! :laugh:

Noah
08-08-2010, 08:49 PM
How can I pick just one! I like 'em all. Those are some nice choices up there. I'll have to think about this one.

crismans
08-08-2010, 09:11 PM
I went for the Idol grab hat. There are a ton of great ones, but that is the one I think of when I think of Indy's hat.

If you want to get real geek-specific, it's when he's looking at the idol and rubs his chin. The way the hat looks at that moment is my absolute favorite.

bendingoak
08-08-2010, 09:23 PM
I went with idol grab myself. Looks well lived in but not like you couldn't wear it anywhere. It took just a few minutes for me fall in love with the hat and I think that the scene that did it.

Noah
08-08-2010, 09:36 PM
You know what, that's my vote too. I was going to vote for that at first but I hesitated. I really love the idol grab hat. The tight front pinch is awesome.

Gunslinger
08-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Yep. Idol grab here too. Though as I've indicated before, I do actually have quite a fondness for the Flying Wing / Truck Chase hat - it's just beaten up & dirty enough to look really cool without it looking like its started to disintegrate in the SoC scenes. Of course being in those 2 scenes doesn't hurt!

jasonalun
08-09-2010, 01:02 AM
I was able to change the poll to make it multiple choice! You now have three votes! I think if you already voted you are "stuck" with one, though. Would everyone like me to "reset" it so you have three votes?

bendingoak
08-09-2010, 03:32 AM
If we went best made hat, I would have to change my vote but when it get to the idol grab scene I was so hooked. I also knew it was going to be a great movie after seeing the first 15 minutes.

Noah
08-09-2010, 03:42 AM
I was able to change the poll to make it multiple choice! You now have three votes! I think if you already voted you are "stuck" with one, though. Would everyone like me to "reset" it so you have three votes?

I would, although of course you don't have to if others don't want to.

Tyderium
08-09-2010, 03:53 AM
It has to be Well of Souls for me. Not a real world, walk around the streets sort of hat but there's something about it. Those camel humps, the brim distortion and the thing is beat up. Perhaps the pivotal scene in Raiders for me as well.

neutronbomb
08-10-2010, 08:23 PM
WOS all the way for me. It could be the angle or lighting, but I just dig the top and front bashing, camel humps, brim curl, tight pinch.

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt235/neutronbomb_photos/Yojimbo%20-%20ROTLA%20Hat%20Replicas/th_Well-of-Souls-Top.jpg (http://s615.photobucket.com/albums/tt235/neutronbomb_photos/Yojimbo%20-%20ROTLA%20Hat%20Replicas/?action=view&current=Well-of-Souls-Top.jpg)

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt235/neutronbomb_photos/ROTLA%20SCENES%20-%20WELL%20OF%20SOULS/th_Raiders-of-the-Lost-Ark-indiana--17.jpg (http://s615.photobucket.com/albums/tt235/neutronbomb_photos/ROTLA%20SCENES%20-%20WELL%20OF%20SOULS/?action=view&current=Raiders-of-the-Lost-Ark-indiana--17.jpg)

crismans
08-11-2010, 01:47 AM

Still have to go with the idol grab. That is the be-all, end-all look for me. For both hat and jacket.

The Last Crusader
10-12-2010, 02:23 AM
Hard to choose one favorite, as I like so many for so many different reasons!

The fedora in the Last Crusade Promo shots is certainly one of them.

http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv94/tundrarider/indy.jpg

I love the "chunky" pinch and the overall battered appearance.

On the other hand, what's not to love about the SOC and WOS Raiders hats? Unfortunately, I don't think that the excessively battered look of the SOC will look very good on an older guy. (Like Harrison and myself.) Personally, I believe that is why Bernie changed the look of the hat for Crystal Skull. This hat is much neater and in better shape overall, regardless of how dusty it gets.

A battered hat on a younger man looks rakish and adventuous. Put the same hat on an older guy and he looks like a hobo. JMHO. :)

So, though I love the SOC, I don't think it's the best hat for me.

Michael

jasonalun
10-12-2010, 03:17 AM
Very good points, Michael. I agree 100%. You and I share the same love of that LC hat! I do think it would have looked poor on Harrison at his current age, but then again I think the pristine look of the KOTCS hat didn't look like Indy very much, so I'm torn. I love your hat on you, although I think it would look good a little more battered on you as well. Those Henry's are fantastic hats (I had one), but being 20% beaver they do tend to resist distressing more than a 100% rabbit hat, so yours looks more pristine than Harrison's in that promo photo, though I'm sure that's what you want. Your hat looks great on you, I'm not saying it doesn't, just saying I think you could wear that hat Harrison is wearing without looking like a "hobo."

The Last Crusader
10-12-2010, 03:54 AM
Thanks, Doc. :)

Actually, I may have not been as clear as I wished in my last post. It was the battered Raiders hat that I didn't feel would suit an older guy. (SOC or WOS)

The LC hat in that Promo shot, (though battered) is nowhere near as beat up as the Raiders. If I could get my Henry to do the "Promo look" I'd do it in a heartheat. That hat would still look good on us older gents. ;)

Michael

RCSignals
10-13-2010, 09:47 PM
I agree with Michael

Noah
10-24-2010, 04:03 AM
I also like the Mystery of the Blues hat. I don't really like how the back is higher than the front, but I like the bash. Looks like a Raiders and LC mix.

Raider S
11-14-2010, 04:52 AM
Short Round's hat...

Weston
11-14-2010, 05:20 PM
Alright, scorn if you must, but I'm going to stand up for the ToD cargo plane fedora. The reason being, ToD was the first Indiana Jones movie I saw when I was a kid, so what do you think was the first Indiana Jones fedora I saw? That's right. I'm really talking about the scene where he first emerges from the back of the plane in his gear for the first time, to when he pulls the hat down over his eyes, dismissing Willie. To this day, I love everything about that look, the gear in that scene just looks more realistically beaten up, adventured in, and natural than in any of the other movies. I've never really gotten into the game of replicating SA Indy gear by movie and scene, but if I ever went for it, that is the look I'd try to pin down, including the fedora.

Hey, that's just me, I know there's alot of nostalgia and imprinting going on there. It's funny; maybe it's the camera angle and lighting, but my love for this fedora only lasts until Willie wakes him up. From there on, it doesn't look the same to me. That is the much maligned "cockpit" fedora. I don't know if any of you guys make that distinction, but there is a big difference to me.

As to my favorite? I don't know if I could pin that one down. That's why I've bought so many hats over the years!

Weston

RCSignals
11-14-2010, 08:37 PM
I know what you mean about that ToD scene Weston.

I wonder if that hat was one of the Stetsons?

djd
11-14-2010, 09:45 PM
As a hat that makes me think Indiana jones it's got to be SoC. As a hat to wear regularly on a day to day basis, the grey travel hats really do it for me. Im hoping to get a grey fed IV for Xmas....

crismans
11-21-2010, 12:22 AM
I actually thought the Cairo hat would win this hands down (even though I love the idol grab myself). It might be a case of the hat you associate with Indiana Jones versus you own personal preference for the hat.