PDA

View Full Version : Silver or Brass or Painted

neutronbomb
01-20-2011, 11:48 PM
For the movie jacket(s) maybe it's just the way the light is reflecting off the zippers at certain angles. Where did the painted yellow story come from?

Same uncut scene.

Silver color:
http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt235/neutronbomb_photos/ROTLA%20-%20The%20Airplane%20Jacket/airplanejacket_silver1.jpg

Yellow color:
http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt235/neutronbomb_photos/ROTLA%20-%20The%20Airplane%20Jacket/airplanejacket_yellow1.jpg

On a separate side note, Riley did mention that many "silver" zippers are a coating/plating over brass.

RCSignals
01-21-2011, 12:00 AM
Nickel can appear slightly yellowish.

According to Tony, the zipper was a nickel one, and had a left hand pull.

crismans
01-21-2011, 01:07 AM
Where did the painted yellow story come from?

Where most of the stories came from I believe. That's what I've been saying about trying to get to the history of the jacket. It's hard to build when you don't know how firm the foundation is.

Kt Templar
01-21-2011, 07:57 AM
The Raiders ones were silver coloured, as were the ToD. Where it sometimes looks yellow that is colour temperature or reflecting ambient light. I believe the Raiders were a nickle plated metal, so a shiny silver. (the word tambac comes to mind but I'm not sure why) And I know that the ToD were a aluminium alloy, a sort of matte silver.

From some of the hi res studio shots out there I actually think the LC zipper was a light gold or brass, rather than an antique brass. So that's what I picked out for mine.

djd
01-21-2011, 09:57 AM
They certainly look silver in Raiders and ToD to me. The zip on my Magnoli is silver but in some lights it does look yellow coloured- so much so that I have to check it again to convince myself that it is indeed silver coloured!

Mac
01-21-2011, 05:45 PM
I’ve noticed that, under the right lighting conditions, a nickel silver zip can reflect the brown in the jacket and appear ‘brassy.’

This is an A-2 with a nickel zip that one might swear was brass:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c39/Mac0/Jackets/USAA-2Zip-2.jpg

This is the same jacket, but here the zipper appears more silver/nickel. Still a bit brassy on the top right, reflecting the brown in the jacket.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c39/Mac0/Jackets/USAA-2Zip-3.jpg

Same jacket revealing the true color of the zip:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c39/Mac0/Jackets/USAA-2Zip-1.jpg

I’m sure the effect is exaggerated by a polished/glossy finish on the zipper (as opposed to matte or brushed) and may be magnified by the fineness of the teeth.

- Mac

neutronbomb
01-30-2011, 09:23 PM
Where did the painted yellow story come from?

Where most of the stories came from I believe. That's what I've been saying about trying to get to the history of the jacket. It's hard to build when you don't know how firm the foundation is.

Indiana Holt wrote:
yes, we were told by Neil Cooper himself that he made the jackets with the zipp on the right.

HWaltonJonesJr.Phd wrote:
I must be lost... which jacket in the film has a RH zip?

Cheers, H

Patterson wrote:
I gotta tell ya - I'm tenuous about this myself. It's possible both are correct, but it's a stretch.

I know Ian H. Told me zipps were swapped out and some were painted brass. Possible the script supervisor spotted something that small and actually cared? I don't know. I have emailed him and he's good about responding. Also, he's a nut about writing down the work that was done.

But I don't see a right-handed zip either. Something (the only thing he ever said on the topic that I can remember) Steven said when looking at one of my jackets was "it's not American vs European - the pull belongs under the flap where you can't see it." Anybody who's worked with the man n details knows when he says something like that, that it's not an opinion but an "order." But that was just a couple years ago.

I'm having problems with the left zip.

Ian H responded that he never touched the hero's zip. The reason they painted the aluminum stunt jackets zips brass was because the hero has a brass zip.

Looking at the imam scene (thanks Bink) I clearly see a bulge under the storm flap. I see no pull on the right side. I don't have my laptop handy so I cannot check my production schedule - but I believe the imam is the first scene shot.

I have to assume Neil is somehow mistaken. The extensive story about Ford and the zip bother me.

I'm shaking my head because of the promises. I know what I know and have corroborated. Doing this for 10+ years I've learned not to trust something completely unless I get some form of trustworthy backup. Ian has been rock-solid since I made his acquaintance.

I believe Neil made the jacket. I believe it because I corroborated it with what I consider the highest ranking source - the man himself, Steven. I've also learned to highly distrust sources with elaborate stories that are contradicted by multiple sources. Remember Peter? There is always a story behind that elaborate and unsupported story. There is always a motive.

I believe this will be a great jacket to own. I'd suggest brass zips with masculine UK pulls.

I'm gonna unsubscribe because I have a bad taste in my mouth...

Gunslinger
01-30-2011, 09:35 PM
Here's what it all this looks like to me. You have a bunch of people that haven't really seen a nickel zipper and how it can react under differing lighting conditions and so they theorise out of ignorance, coming up with dumb theories like painted zippers. To back themselves up they come up with even more dumb claims that Spielberg gives a shit about which side a zipper is on when shooting a low budget action movie, let alone able to discuss it in this sort of detail 30 years later. I mean re-read the S.S. quote and tell me it could possibly be real. No-one talks like that.

Then, as the second quote above makes abundantly clear, stories suddenly move around and excuses made when the heat is on.

How people can believe such obvious lies never ceases to amaze me. But there are always convenient sources to back up the bullshit, and a convenient tie-in to the latest product. And some people question why certain things are important to point out. Never mind that all of this is so clearly bad behaviour, it makes many of the real goals of the hobby impossible.

I wonder how the COW apologists teach their children to behave? That lying and deception is ok? It's shameful.

Long story short - nickel zipper. :D

PLATON
01-31-2011, 03:45 PM
That aside, it sounds ectremely stupid to paint a zipper. If you want it to appear brass, replace it with a brass one.
If you paint it, it won't work, and you need to zip it once in a while.

The most mostrous lie (story) I ever heard was that they built a set with a cargo vessel, dock, and shore cranes at a moment to shoot the La Rochelle scene, when all above was available for free....

djd
01-31-2011, 09:19 PM
Oh yes ! That wonderful blue screen story. The really high tech blue screen that you couldn't detect by looking at it...

PLATON
02-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Yes they built everything (while on a tight budget) for a scene that lasted 10 seconds.

K-Wad
02-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Long story short - nickel zipper. :D

:agree:

Having been a knife collector for many years, I have had much experience with nickel alloys (it is used as bolsters on higher end knives). The nickel bolsters will go from a bright silver, to a brassy/yellowish color in a matter of days just from the exposure to the oils in your skin. It sure does not look like brass paint when they oxidize......