PDA

View Full Version : Wings - Antique Cowhide Indy-style Hero Jacket

kramstaar
01-10-2011, 09:01 AM
I posted this on COW yesterday and I hope it might be of interest to members here. I would like to say that it was through the kindness of some members on COW that I acquired the jacket but I must stress that this was not free and neither was it discounted so there is no dubious motive on my part for wanting to share with the good people of F&G...

I've owned a number of jackets over the years:- Terminator Harley style, fantastic leather bombers, my army kit - all of which I've enjoyed (or still enjoy) immensely - but in the end, its the Wings Antique Cowhide that's done it for me.

Personally, I don't give a toss if its SA or not because to be frank, its the toughest, easiest to wear jacket I've ever owned.

In the relatively short time I've owned it, its already been to many countries and on a lot of adventures and next week, it goes with me to Africa for some robust bush duty. In all honesty, its not jacket weather over there but I will certainly find an excuse to wear it…

http://www.markraats.com/Raats_Downloads/Wings_Jacket002.jpg

http://www.markraats.com/Raats_Downloads/Wings_Jacket003.jpg

http://www.markraats.com/Raats_Downloads/Wings_Jacket001.jpg

Cheers for the opportunity and kind regards

MARK

djd
01-10-2011, 09:05 AM
Mark- that's really nice. Very last crusade... It's certainly a lovely hide. Could be thirty years old already to look at it. Congratulations

Gunslinger
01-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Lookin' good mate - thanks for sharing.

...And for introducing our American members to the phrase "I don't give a toss..."

Zane
01-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Your jacket is a beauty! It seems to have a custom look! Enjoy and thanks for sharing!

RaidersBash
01-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Yep, that's one good looking jacket. I'm pretty sure that's the best I've seen so far off the Wings offerings (aside from the promo SL).

Real world style and real world lighting,and it really does look like it's seen many years of adventuring already.

Congrats.

G-MANN
01-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Great looking jacket Mark. Excellent broken in look.

Cheers,
John

HWaltonJonesJr.Phd
01-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Yeah that is one tough look you are pulling off Mark... a bit scary. That jacket suits you very well... enjoy!

Mac
01-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Congratulations, that's a beautiful jacket. I love the color and hide and it's a perfect fit.

- Mac

RCSignals
01-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Great jacket Mark, with a great fit. I know the pattern for the Hero was tweaked from the regular Wings adventure jacket, and for you it is perfect. Suits you spot on.
It wouldn't matter if you did receive it for free. I take it from what you said you didn't order it directly.

crismans
01-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Great looking jacket, Mark, and it fits you terrifically.

kramstaar
01-11-2011, 12:12 AM
I take it from what you said you didn't order it directly.

Cheers very much everyone. Sorry about the face but its the one my mother gave me and I'm stuck with it. My kids call me GOF (grumpy old fart), so I guess I've gotten used to it :D. The feedback has been very generous - many thanks.

RCSignals, yep quite correct. I didn't deal with WINGS directly, but have had subsequent (brief) communications with Sarge which revolved mainly around tours of duty..

Kind regards

MARK

Weston
01-11-2011, 06:37 AM
Mark, that jacket suits you like crazy! It has a great Last Crusade look to it, and I agree completely with your description. Excellent!

Weston

bigrex
01-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Kinda got an Arnold Schwarzenegger thing going on there, looking good.

Mitch LaRue
01-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Yep... I'm definitely a fan of the great look you're getting out of this jacket... it's just a natural match for you, Mark.
May you always wear it in good health (whether you're being a "grumpy old fart" or otherwise)
;)

New Yorker Jones
02-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Wow Mark, looks great! I love the look of it. Did you do any weathering to it or is that how it aged? Also is it US made or made in China? Just that it looks better than my chinese made one.

kramstaar
02-26-2011, 03:28 AM
Wow Mark, looks great! I love the look of it. Did you do any weathering to it or is that how it aged? Also is it US made or made in China? Just that it looks better than my chinese made one.

Cheers mate….!

I'm still lovin' this jacket but regrettably with the temps well over 100 degrees here and humid as hell, its certainly not jacket weather at the moment. I'll need to wait a little before I wear it again seriously..

In answer to your questions, I would be talking **** if I was to say I hadn't attempted a little weathering, but it started off with two total soakings in the rain - after which I wore it until it dried. The rain was not contrived it was while I was busy outdoors so it started off well. I then tried a little rubbing on some of the exposed edges but I have to admit I didn't get very far because besides it being really tedious and I was a little worried I might damage the jacket. I'm not a gentle fellow so the threat of robust weathering treatment did cause me a little concern. It should be mentioned though that even out of the box, the leather sports some fairly market patches of varying color which in my mind enhances the overall 'weathered' look….

This jacket has been worn a lot and as I mentioned in the opening post, its been to more places in the world than most people! I wear it hard, its been scuffed scraped and battered and I've thought nothing of sitting in a bar with the elbows in beer-rings left on the table so in short, I regard it less as an Indy jacket and more as an item of work clothing.

Its the US made version by the way…

For those interested, Here are two straight views shot in natural light…

http://www.markraats.com/Raats_Downloads/Wings_Jacket004.jpg

In this back view you can see two distinct patches of discolouration in the leather I was talking about - one on the right-hand shoulder above the seam and the larger patch right at the bottom of the jacket. Normally, this kind of defect would have driven me nuts but in this jacket's case, it actually looks even more worn and weathered than it actually is. The bottom edge of the jacket looks like its warped but its because its resting up on the flaps of the two back pockets on my fatigue trousers.

http://www.markraats.com/Raats_Downloads/Wings_Jacket005.jpg

The front view from square on.

Kind regards

MARK

RCSignals
02-26-2011, 05:24 AM
It really is developing a great look