PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Raiders Jacket!

Zane
12-23-2010, 03:01 AM
Talked with Riley today while he's on vacation in Idaho.(I called to wish him a Merry Christmas) Had a nice chat with him talked about ordering me a Raiders Jacket. Now which leather to choose?

IfAdventureHasAName
12-23-2010, 03:35 AM
Fortune and Glory member "Zane",
Cool deal. :) There is a post on what leathers he had available but, have no idea if his inventory of leathers have changed recently. Did you happen to ask Riley what leathers are available?

For me personally, from the post stating what leathers are available, if I had the funds, the shrunken Lamb. But, I am diggin' the 747 Cowhide along with the Mocha Cowhide.

Now if he had any goatskin available, ALL my Indiana Jones jackets would be made of goatskin. LOVE my Wested washed goatskin jackets. IMHO, perfect weight, supple, and has a nice grain to it.

Or you can go the way of Fortune and Glory member "Gunslinger" and source some leather of your choice and collaborate with Riley.

Man, I was no help whatsoever. But, it all comes down to what YOU want out of YOUR jacket. Good luck with your endeavour and please keep us up to date. Can never get enough of a TNO Riley Barrie Jacket.

crismans
12-23-2010, 03:54 AM
If you want the original, then it's the shrunken lamb. If you want something that might be a bit more durable (not saying shrunken lamb isn't, but it is lamb) but has the Raiders vibe in spades? I'd go for the 747.

That said, I know that Raiders S loves his two goat Raiders and I'm not sure of the leather inventory at this time. Did Riley tell you what he had on hand?

Raider S
12-23-2010, 04:15 AM
I have one goat and one 747. 747 is a beautiful alternative to shrunken lamb - lots of texture, great color and durability of cowhide. But the goat is fantastic as well and the ultimate in durability. I have a natural liking of goat leather others may not - I like the slightly tougher, stiff, somewhat waxy feel.

If I had to choose one it would be 747 for the overall look (it's a premium leather and should be even more popular) and goat if what I want is a hard wearing jacket that's made to last.

By the way, the goat I had was something Tony only made two jackets from but the others are just as nice.

Zane
12-23-2010, 04:21 AM
I didn't ask what type of leathers are in stock. I really just called to say Merry Christmas and he ask how my jackets are. Then he told me if I wanted to place a order for the Raiders we talked about this spring I should probably think about getting it soon. I really like Shrunken Lamb and I'm thinking of that as my first choice. While I was there in early march he had some ( I think ). Anyways 747 will be my second choice then after that I don't know. Crismans is your Raiders in 747? I think Rc has a Raiders in Shrunken Lamb. I remember seeing your guys jackets a while ago. Oh well I'll keep you posted on my progress. Riley is going to be staying with on me the way home from Idaho and maybe I can ask him more about the choices then.

RCSignals
12-23-2010, 04:33 AM
Zane my Raiders are in shrunken lamb. I like the lamb, it isn't 'delicate' but it is lamb so keep that in mind.
My second choice would be the 747.

crismans
12-23-2010, 04:33 AM
Dang, Raider S, I'm just getting old. That's all there is to it. I knew that you had a 747 because you're the guy that pretty much sold me on the leather !! :rolleyes: And I knew that your goat was very rare (I'm thinking you and Han Jones have the only two jackets made from it), but I had gotten it in my mind that you had another goat as well.

Anyway, Zane, yes, my Raiders is in 747 and it's my favorite leather that I've handled, hands down. I love the stuff. I had a shrunken lamb, mark II. It had the finger-puckered look and I could never warm to it (the striateds, which are my favorite, hadn't come out yet). Bending Oak also has a Raiders in 747 that he's posted about here, I believe.

Really though, when it comes to either shrunken lamb or the 747, you can't go wrong. It's all a matter of what you want. Both are exceptional leathers.

RCSignals
12-23-2010, 04:38 AM
Good luck with the decision Zane. But really you can't go wrong with whatever you choose, as long as it isn't pink.