PDA

View Full Version : I am a hat newbie - What's good that's out there discussion

Raider S
11-22-2010, 11:32 PM
I've never owned a decent fedora (yeah, I have a DP and a crushable DP that came with a USW jacket) as I've never been too much of a hat person, but more and more I'm wanting to get a passable one.

I like the rather extreme Raiders bash (might be getting ahead of myself on that) and what I'd like to know is what's a good hat that can stand up to some wear at a reasonable price (price is an issue as I already mentioned I'm not a hat person).

Suggestions?

RCSignals
11-22-2010, 11:45 PM
First John Penman

Also have you looked at all that Miller hats offers? I think they have a sale on now too

RCSignals
11-22-2010, 11:56 PM
another source for a lower priced hat might be Hornet's Hats

Gunslinger
11-23-2010, 12:03 AM
If you're not really a hat guy then a Christys may be all you need. If you don't wear the thing night and day, I honestly think all the talk about how they taper was a bit overstated by the competition.

Problem is, if you want a Raiders look specifically.... how much do you want to spend?

deadseascrolls
11-23-2010, 12:19 AM
Problem is, if you want a Raiders look specifically.... how much do you want to spend?

That's the real question.

I've never owned one of John's as the price is a little out of my range at this stage in life, but I'm really working on cooking the books to order one. So I'd recommend him if you want a really nice quality hat.

I have a friend who refurbishes old Stetson cowboy hats into Indy fedoras and has gotten rave reviews on them. In fact, the first fedora I ever bought was one of his redone Stetsons and I'll never part with it --- it's THAT good! So if you're interested in a decent, tough hat, look him up on Ebay. He goes by "Wyowilliam" and has 2 Raiders fedoras up for sale right now. I also have another of his hats in THE PERFECT CS color that I've decided to part with in order to work towards, you guessed it, a Penman. As well, I have the last Keppler pure beaver fedora he'll ever sell that I've sent to him to have stretched that I'd sell at a fair price.

Now, back to vendors. The fellow above I mentioned who refurbishes hats swears by the Todds Uptowner. In fact, he's exclaimed that he'll NEVER sell that hat as he feels it's the perfect Raiders hat as far as quality, etc. goes.

Lastly, I have another friend whose in the hattery business and I swear by him 100% for quality, craftsmanship, attention to detail, etc. The color felt he sent me seems perfect for a Raiders look and his pricing is unbelievable! $250 for a pure beaver, and $140 for a pure rabbit!!!! :o PM me if interested in that route and I'll set you up with him. However, I'd rather not divulge his name or business name here as I consider him my hidden gem. Sorry folks - I've gotta keep at least one or two secrets for myself. ;)

I could go on and on about hats, so once I know what you're willing to spend, perhaps I can help you out better.

DSS

Gunslinger
11-23-2010, 12:48 AM
Don't know why I didn't think of the other option - DIEGO!

http://www.steele-jones.com.ar/en/galeria.htm

Raider S
11-23-2010, 01:22 AM
Thanks DSS.

Forgot about Todd's. Any more opinions on them?

bendingoak
11-23-2010, 01:37 AM
I would go with the fed 4. It's a good hat for a good price. I have decided I don't want to be anyone first hat. I want to be everyones last hat 8) ;D

deadseascrolls
11-23-2010, 01:48 AM
An Akubra would also work nicely. I've owned one but sold it as quickly as I got it as I just didn't like the color of it. Otherwise, I couldn't complain on the texture, styling, etc. of them.

DSS

crismans
11-23-2010, 02:09 AM
Nothing against any of the other choices, but, if I was getting a first hat to decide if I liked wearing hats, I'd probably go with a Fed. Very nice hats and super tough. If you get the Deluxe, they have a good luxurious feel too (although the regular Fed is a nice feeling hat).

djd
11-23-2010, 05:42 AM
I was very impressed with my new fed IV. Good value for money and good customer service :)

Marauder
11-23-2010, 06:04 AM
Yes Diego and Steele

In the low price criteria the Todd's uptowner may fill the first hat bill too

indyclone25
11-23-2010, 01:54 PM
todds has two nice hats uptowner ( $149) and the downtowner ($99)
todds costumes fedoras review (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ0FA694JR4#)

Indiego Jones
11-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the reference and trust!

However, if price is too tight and delivery time must be fast, I will definitely recommend Christies Adventurer(throught hornet hats site).
Akubra is a valid option too, but I found it less soft and not floppy. Wich is way I prefer the Christies.

Cheers!
Diego.-

Raider S
11-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Too many choices! There was supposed to be an easy answer!

By the way, I didn't see an uptowner at Todd's. Only the downtowner.

deadseascrolls
11-23-2010, 03:42 PM
Too many choices! There was supposed to be an easy answer!

By the way, I didn't see an uptowner at Todd's. Only the downtowner.

I know what you mean! When I first started searching out fedoras, I couldn't find hardly anything. In fact, I was tempted to by the open crown Miller hat and have someone bash it for me. I had a fellow in SD (the closest hattery I could find at the time) who works with western hats who'd said he'd do it, but the total investment with shipping, etc. would've been over $200 for a pure rabbit fedora. Even then, I didn't know if I'd get exactly what I wanted. Now, I have a HUGE list of vendors and I WANT THEM ALL!!! With a little searching and calling, it's amazing at what you can find out there. And I'm happy to divulge my information to you in the hopes of you acquiring that very special piece - your first real fedora. There's nothing like it --- ask Indy... he's STILL got the same hat that Fedora gave him in his house! :D

As for the Uptowner. I've checked the site as well and can't find it. He (Todd) is running low on stock as the year draws to a close, so he might be out of them for awhile. If a Todds is what you REALLY want (and I would vote for it as I've seen and heard many good things about it), I'd give him a call to get the scoop on them. Your first hat is a VERY IMPORTANT decision that should not be made lightly, and is, in fact, the equivalent of the spot you choose to ask your girlfriend to marry you. You'll always remember and cherish it, so don't rush into this until you know EXACTLY what you want and can sleep easy with the decision. Just a word of encouragement from someone who almost cries everytime he holds his first hat in his hands he's so happy and excited with it.

DSS

djd
11-23-2010, 07:56 PM
I have an uptowner for sale at a reasonable price. It's a 61 though and thats too big for most lesser men! Sorry, spent too long on COW recently.... ;)

Barney Ross
12-12-2010, 11:47 PM
I think the Akubra is a great Indy hat to start off with. Built like a tank, and won't break the bank.
Barney

Raider S
12-24-2010, 04:17 PM
Stetson - Do they still make fedoras? Do they still have an agreement or licence for any "official" hats?

RCSignals
12-24-2010, 07:25 PM
They do still make Fedoras, but I don't think they have a license anymore for Indiana Jones hats.
They still make/sell the hat they made under license as the 'Temple' though but I've only found it at Miller hats.

crismans
12-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Ah, I remember the happy, happy day when I found my Indy Stetson in a local shop. Totally out of the blue and it took a fair amount of talking (read begging hysterically) to get it home. But bring it home I did.

indydude1
12-25-2010, 11:04 PM
What do you all think of Miller hats the 257? Do they taper bad? And any oppinion will help.

RCSignals
12-26-2010, 12:13 AM
they aren't bad. a factory made hat. I have one and it hasn't tapered. They are a rabbit felt. Any felt will taper if you get it wet through the core.
I think Miller has a sale going on now.

indydude1
12-26-2010, 12:42 AM
Ok thanks I will check it out. I wrote them I was wanting to get one with a 3 inch brim all around for a YIJ hat and change the ribbon myself.

Deputy Jedi
12-28-2010, 03:28 AM
The hat itself looks pretty good, but the specs seem to limit brim width to 2 3/4. That may be too short if you need a 3 inch to replicate YIJ. I have never used Miller, but they seem to get pretty decent marks from those who do.

Deputy Jedi
12-28-2010, 03:31 AM
I was actually going to buy a Stetson Temple as my first Fedora after KOTCS I went to a local hat shop, but they did not have my size. I decided to do some more research on hats and found COW and then it started. I ended up with an Akubra Fed IV as my first hat.

Indiana Bugs
01-12-2011, 01:04 PM
I have three Feds, two IVs and a III.

The III is simply huge, size-wise along the lines of the Downtowner. The DT is very stiff as sent from Todd's. The Fed III, much less so, but they arent available anymore so its moot, anyway.

The Fed IV, currently available from Hatsdirect.com, is a wonderful hat for the money. I got mine before the US dollar fell to where it is currently so the hat would be more expensive now. The IV is not especially floppy, but I find that once I wet-style it, it stays the way I want it to, which is very important to me. I dont like a brim that flops around. It is not so stiff, though, that a strong wind would blow it off my head. The brim gives way before the hat takes flight.

Theres lots of talk on Indy sites about 'screen-accuracy' (SA). I dont go for screen accuracy. I go for what I call 'screen-reminiscent.' My Raiders hats generally resemble Raiders hats, but I dont work in every detail. I like a tight pinch, center dent, and full straight sides, but I dont worry about brim breaks, mushrooming, or dirt and sweat stains.

I reblocked one of my IVs on an old #52 block I bought from someone on Fedora Lounge. That hat is now settling into a look that comes from wearing, or forced artificial aging. My III, being older, looks even more worn in.

Basically, I think Feds make fine Indy hats, and are great hats in general, especially since they are factory-made, and relatively inexpensive.

Deputy Jedi
01-13-2011, 01:50 AM
I have to agree with the others regarding the Federation 4. It is a fine hat. I own one in Tawny Fawn. It is tough enough for adventure and pairs well with casual or business attire. Hats Direct is great to do business with. The Fed 4 sizes just a little differently, so email them with your head measurement and ask them what size they recommend if you go that route.

For custom, call Penman. Garrison Hatters also appears to make a sharp Indy Fedora, although I have not held one in my hands. I agree with the above post; Don't worry so much about screen accuracy. Make it Indy-esque, but shape it to you. Then it is your hat, not a characters.

RaidersBash
01-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Thanks DSS.

Forgot about Todd's. Any more opinions on them?

I like Todds. They're a fun little hat. Stiff like a cowboy hat, blocked and bashed to kinda look like SOC. I ruined one (that's a story for the wrecked gear thread), but did by one for my Dad. They're on sale right now for $20 off (so $79.95) and he's changed the ribbon to be more SA.

If you like cowboy style hats (stiff) it's a great great hat. bullitproof and can hold up really well to elements. I went camping, hiking and horseback riding in mine many times.

Indiana Bugs
01-15-2011, 03:06 AM
I did a search for 'wrecked gear' and came up with your above post. Where is this thread? Thanks.

djd
01-15-2011, 10:19 AM
It's a shame that he doesn't do the uptowner any more . It's a better shape than the downtowner. Side by side with my old AB Henry it was very hard to tell them apart.

bendingoak
01-15-2011, 12:12 PM
Sorry DJD, but you need to look a bit closer.

RaidersBash
01-15-2011, 12:22 PM
I did a search for 'wrecked gear' and came up with your above post. Where is this thread? Thanks.

;D There isn't a section, but it has been joked around a bit that we should start one. The up side is I'm sure it would be very informational for people to learn what NOT to do...

the down side is all the painful memories for those of us who have wrecked gear in our attempts to learn :'(

Indiana Bugs
01-15-2011, 01:43 PM

;D There isn't a section, but it has been joked around a bit that we should start one. The up side is I'm sure it would be very informational for people to learn what NOT to do...

the down side is all the painful memories for those of us who have wrecked gear in our attempts to learn :'(

So howd you ruin it? What did you do? Is that posted somewhere or could you relay it here? Or start a new 'wrecked gear' thread . . .

RaidersBash
01-19-2011, 07:12 PM
how did i ruin it...

well, that's a long story with many things I think that attributed to it, but mostly my OCD.

In the end, a grabbed the "WRONG" cat litter for fuller's earth, and the "CLUMPING" stuff has chemicals in it that kinda do bad things to the felt.

I couldn't get it clean, and my OCD about getting the bash right made me want to just start over, plus I wanted to start learning about felt and hats.

So I said, "what happens if you WETBLOCK a hat?" and maybe then I can scrub those chemical burns out.

Well, wetblocking this hat caused it to SHRINK a lot...too much to reblock into anything but maybe a kids sized Indy hat, or a hat with a full crown but a short brim, or a full brim and short crown...

Anyway...all of this was done after having had the hat for almost a year, wearing on every camping trip i went on, hiking trip, horse riding and horse training and everything else I did nearly every day.

It was a great hat, lots of fun and lots of character, and like I said, I even bought one for my dad...figured he'd always really been my hero so he should look the part.

Indiana Bugs
01-20-2011, 06:06 PM
Well, wetblocking this hat caused it to SHRINK a lot...too much to reblock into anything but maybe a kids sized Indy hat, or a hat with a full crown but a short brim, or a full brim and short crown...

I was looking at the DTer a little more seriously because of the reduced price, but I need to be able to reblock my hats as needed. If this model doesnt take to that Im gonna have to pass. Thanks for the info.

RCSignals
01-20-2011, 07:21 PM
Miller hats is having a sale if you are looking for a lower priced hat and didn't see this post http://www.fortuneandglory.org/index.php?topic=1420.0

neutronbomb
01-21-2011, 12:02 AM
Dude, I'm sorry you shrank your hat. Maybe we should do a wrecked gear thread. I seriously shrank the crown of my AB Deluxe Beaver from Marc. I don't know how Gunslinger got it back out to normal again. It's a miracle.

RaidersBash
01-21-2011, 11:53 PM

I was looking at the DTer a little more seriously because of the reduced price, but I need to be able to reblock my hats as needed. If this model doesnt take to that Im gonna have to pass. Thanks for the info.

Well, I think the hat could take a reblock...just not a wetblock...or not at least how I did the wetblock (which consisted of getting it soaking wet and stretching it over the block).

That said, it's a durable hat like a cowboy hat and how often do those need reblocking? A soft hat yes, a stiff stiff hat not really.

indyclone25
01-25-2011, 06:35 PM
heys guys i'm back!
with the price of Todds downtowner now 79.95 its a good starter hat that will look the raiders hat , yes it is to bad they are no longer making the uptowner but he will have another great hat to replace that one i'm sure, i have had my downtowner for over a year or year and half , wow has it been that long? anyways it still has held it shape and looks great , this is a pic from last years c2e2 in chicago
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/indyclone25/c2e2%202010/25767_381813194052_641319052_387738.jpg

New Yorker Jones
02-25-2011, 04:14 PM
heys guys i'm back!
with the price of Todds downtowner now 79.95 its a good starter hat that will look the raiders hat , yes it is to bad they are no longer making the uptowner but he will have another great hat to replace that one i'm sure, i have had my downtowner for over a year or year and half , wow has it been that long? anyways it still has held it shape and looks great , this is a pic from last years c2e2 in chicago
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/indyclone25/c2e2%202010/25767_381813194052_641319052_387738.jpg

Is that with the ribbon it came with? Or did you replace it?

indyclone25
02-26-2011, 12:10 AM
i replaced the ribbon with the todds ribbon sold seperately.

indyclone25
02-26-2011, 12:13 AM
i also bought another downtowner for my sons 15th birthday and this is what it looks like
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/indyclone25/hats008.jpg

Bullwhip Jones
11-23-2011, 03:59 PM
I am wondering which hat would be the best to save for. I really want to save up for a Raiders hat, and I think that a true Raiders hat has these qualities.

Tall, straight crown.
Single straight dent (top).
High tight pinch.
Raiders turn/swoop.
Rabbit felt.

I wish to save my money for a QUALITY hat and have narrowed it down to these two.
I wish to share my opinion about these two hatmakers.

STEELE & JONES '36 EXPLORADOR 2.0 $223 shipped
1. Quality hats
2. Great price
3. Moderately water repellant.
4. Has all qualities of my ideal Raiders hat.

PENMAN HATS RABBIT RAIDERS $345 shipped
1. Excellent hats
2. Fair price
3. BULLDOG TOUGH
4. Has all qualities of my ideal Raiders hat.

REFERENCE PICTURES

Penman Raiders Rabbit
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/DausinDavis/PenmanRaiders2002.jpg

S&J Explorador 2.0
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/DausinDavis/Untitled234.png

DISCLAIMER: I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST EITHER VENDOR. BOTH PRODUCE GOOD QUALITY FEDORAS.

My ideal Raiders hat:
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/DausinDavis/Untitled34.png
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/DausinDavis/SOC010-1.jpg

DISCLAIMER: THE TWO HATS ABOVE (S&J AND PENMAN) ARE NOT BASED OFF OF THE CAIRO HAT.

Indiego Jones
11-23-2011, 09:27 PM
SAVE FOR A PENMAN 8)

He has been making hats long before us, therefore has more experience.
And offcourse there is your "laundry list" of details you demand on your fedora.
I think is going to be quit a challenge for John too, but he can do it.

(and please, put a better pic of an Explorador than that one :mad: are tons of pics in our website)

Good luck.- :whip:

RCSignals
11-23-2011, 09:57 PM
Now there is a humble answer form an honest man.

Bullwhip Jones
11-24-2011, 02:52 AM
http://www.steele-jones.com.ar/galeria/02/17.jpg

Indiana Bugs
11-24-2011, 05:26 PM
Quite honestly, it depends what you want. You also have to know what your upper limit is. I know mine. To me, a better buy is one that costs significantly less without sacrificing quality to below what is acceptable to me. A better buy could also be the one you want a lot more, regardless of price. Either one of those hats would be more than acceptable to me. The S&J is significantly less expensive. So monetarily, that is the better buy. But I'd love a Penman. So, for desirablity, that is the better buy. You just have to come to terms with what is more important to you.

Bullwhip Jones
11-24-2011, 10:39 PM
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

OK, that does it for me, desirability wins.
Now I make the decision of SOC VS standard Raiders... :help: :help: :help:

Bullwhip Jones
11-24-2011, 10:46 PM
I mean, I like this Penman a lot. It's Jnicktem's. :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:
:hail: http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/DausinDavis/IMG_4489.jpg

But THIS hat takes the cake as my IDEAL Raiders fedora.
:P :P :P :P :P :P http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/DausinDavis/SOC010-1.jpg

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/DausinDavis/SOC009.jpg

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/DausinDavis/Untitled5678.png

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/DausinDavis/ScreenUsedFedora4a.jpg

jnicktem
11-24-2011, 11:19 PM
To be fair that picture of my Penman Raiders was from when it was brand spanking new. It looks much different now... much more worn.

Bullwhip Jones
11-25-2011, 01:42 AM
:lies: :lies:
No, I'm sure it looks much better now! Pics???

jnicktem
11-25-2011, 01:52 AM
Well for instance the front pinch is much sharper now that I have worked it. Plus it has been squashed, rolled up, sat on, etc... numerous times. That is one tough hat!

I will try to get some updated pics.

Bullwhip Jones
11-25-2011, 07:49 PM
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

OK, that does it for me, desirability wins.
Now I make the decision of SOC VS standard Raiders... :help: :help: :help:

Make that SOC in pecan VS Idol Grab in pecan.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/DausinDavis/IMG_0589.jpg

Bullwhip Jones
11-25-2011, 09:06 PM
Why pecan? Well, I think that the particular hat above in pecan is very close to the shade that the Raiders hat turned when outside or under sunlight/artificial light.

As a retired hatmaker once said,

The felt Herbert Johnson used back in the day is really weird when photographed. Although the modern Sable felt looks the same in most lighting conditions, when you use a flash, there is a difference between the old and new felt. It would seem to be the same in other lighting conditions too - The old stuff comes out much lighter, as you see in these pics; where the modern stuff wants to hold the same darker tone. To achieve that lighter look with modern felt, you have to use a lighter felt colour, as I did with the hat pictured.

jnicktem
11-25-2011, 11:06 PM
What you must understand, however, is that the shade of brown John uses for his Indy hats is a bit darker, so the felt can lighten over time and eventually be perfect. All felt will lighten throughout time and wear.

jnicktem
11-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Here are some updated pics of my now 1+ year old Penman Raiders in Beaver:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/jnicktem/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_1592.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/jnicktem/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_1591.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/jnicktem/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_1594.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/jnicktem/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_1601.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/jnicktem/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_1603.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/jnicktem/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_1597.jpg

Indiana Bugs
11-29-2011, 01:32 AM
Mang, that is one sharp, sharp-creased lid!

jnicktem
11-29-2011, 09:36 PM
Thank you! That is what I was going for! I managed to get it that way after it got soaked from rain, and then it easily formed that sharp pinch and stayed that way.

neutronbomb
11-30-2011, 12:19 AM
Nice hat. I'm digging what you've done with the bashing. The color looks very much like my raiders beaver from Marc. I wonder if they use the same felt.

jnicktem
11-30-2011, 02:07 AM
Thank you! I am proud of the bash job I have done. I know Marc gets his felt from a factory in Portugal, and John uses Winchester felt. Although I do admit it does look a lot like some of the older ABD's I have seen.

PLATON
03-20-2012, 08:38 AM
Hi,
Not really a newbie, but haven't followed the hat story that much for too long. And with so many hats around, lost count.

Any of you hat experts can make a recap of what hats are available and from where ?
Please present a list sorted according to hat SAness. Like a top 10.
I will appreciate.

RCSignals
03-21-2012, 12:39 AM
Penman Hats. Unless you want to buy from Europe then Adventurebuilt

Gunslinger
03-21-2012, 03:31 AM
Still in business? My vote goes to Steele & Jones - great block shape, felt is South Amercian just like the Cury, AND they're very resonably priced, too. http://www.steele-jones.com.ar/en/galeria.htm It's the only one that ticks all the boxes for me.

RCSignals
03-21-2012, 06:17 AM
Yes Steele and Jones is another good option. I didn't think they had them available at the moment though

PLATON
03-21-2012, 08:05 AM
what happened to Steve Delk?

PLATON
03-21-2012, 09:42 AM
Ah, I see
price went so high that not even an archaeologist who discovered the lost ark can afford it.

PLATON
03-21-2012, 09:44 AM
ah...
and to buy the European version have to be an investment banker.

Indiego Jones
03-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Thanks GL for your kind words.

Yes Steele and Jones is another good option. I didn't think they had them available at the moment though

Lately we've been very involved with the jacket project.
That's why you have not seen news about hats. But still working on them! :whip:

Ah, I see
price went so high that not even an archaeologist who discovered the lost ark can afford it.

ah...
and to buy the European version have to be an investment banker.

LOL!!!! This 2 lines just crack me up! :D

We are placing an order for felt this days.
If someone orders a hat from us this week, the waiting time will be reasonable.

Regards.-

PLATON
03-21-2012, 04:35 PM
Hi,
I think I 'll buy your hat, it's nice. Do you offer variations, i.e. idol grab hat, raven bar, Cairo hat?

When is your jacket gonna be ready? Will it be cheap or expensive?

Indiego Jones
03-21-2012, 05:14 PM
Hi,
I think I 'll buy your hat, it's nice. Do you offer variations, i.e. idol grab hat, raven bar, Cairo hat?

When is your jacket gonna be ready? Will it be cheap or expensive?

Yes, we offer variations, just contact me through e-mail (pedidos@steele-jones.com.ar) so we can sharpen the details.

About the jacket, well, it will be great, that's for sure ;)
We are working on getting the correct leather choice, not an easy task...
Only then we'll be able to inform the price range.

IfAdventureHasAName
03-21-2012, 06:41 PM
"Indiego Jones", concerning the jacket are you looking at producing just a "Raiders" jacket or are you also looking at the jackets from "Temple of Doom" and/or "Last Crusade"? If you would prefer to keep the information "under wraps", I completely understand. But, any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry about taking the thread "off topic", "Platon".

Indiego Jones
03-21-2012, 07:11 PM
"Indiego Jones", concerning the jacket are you looking at producing just a "Raiders" jacket or are you also looking at the jackets from "Temple of Doom" and/or "Last Crusade"? If you would prefer to keep the information "under wraps", I completely understand. But, any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry about taking the thread "off topic", "Platon".

Let's not hijack PLATON's thread, I'll send you a PM.

PLATON
03-21-2012, 10:23 PM
no guys feel free to say whatever
I m interested

Indiego Jones
03-21-2012, 11:01 PM
Thanks PLATON.

But until we get the leather, we'll keep it silent.

Regards.-

RCSignals
03-22-2012, 06:52 AM
Thanks for clearing up about the hats Diego

PLATON
05-27-2012, 02:57 PM
Is the current Poet hat SA?
If not what's wrong with it?

djd
05-27-2012, 03:03 PM
Ive seen people get very SA looking hats out of a well bashed Christies Adventurer so good question. I'm guessing the poet makes a better ToD or LC hat than a raiders (where most of us are fixated)

Indiana Bugs
05-27-2012, 04:18 PM
The standard story is that after Raiders, the block used for the pre-1980-or-so hats was 'lost.' Another block was used to produce the Poet from that point on. This hat, along with maybe a Stetson, was used for ToD. So, unless the block has been changed again in the intervening years, the current Poet should be able to give you a good post-Raiders look right out of the box.

PLATON
05-27-2012, 04:48 PM
so the Poet once sold my Magnoli and some other Indy fans was off for Raiders?
I recall the magnoli version was competing with AB.
No?

fenris
05-27-2012, 05:08 PM
Please, somebody correct me if I'm wrong... I think the Poet Magnoli was selling were reblocked by Steve Delk to look more like a raiders hat. As far as I know, he's not selling any Poet-AB hybrids anymore.

djd
05-27-2012, 05:16 PM
You're correct mate. It was a poet reblocked by AB. I used to have one. Nice but quite stiff compared to my rabbit AB or super floppy Schubert (not intended as an insult!)

DocWeeks
05-27-2012, 05:28 PM
My mag HJ is VERY stiff even after two years of wear, even compared to my AB Beaver. But it looks very similar.

djd
05-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Does your HJ run a little small? Mine did which is why I sold it in the end. I'm usually a 60 but I really would have needed a 61 in the AB HJ.

Interesting to note (well I think it is), that although the Schubert is really floppy felt its still maintained every crease and dent it came with

fenris
05-27-2012, 06:51 PM
For some reason I found myself chuckling while reading your posts...

I guess the words "HJ" and "stiff" just shouldn't go hand in hand... If you get what I mean! Sorry!

:D

kiltie
05-27-2012, 07:02 PM
Is the current Poet hat SA?
If not what's wrong with it?

I'd like to add, if you're fishing because you're considering a purchase: go a size up.
I'm basing this statement on owning two Christys' Adventurers. I understand that they are essentially the same hat, in terms of construction. I got one in my usual size, and it got really snug, really quickly. Went a size up, added a spacer, but within two weeks it was a perfect fit.
I think they make a solid hat for any of the movies ( I was always partial to the Raven hat, and the Adventurer did that one well enough, to my eye ).
Also, though I've been an advocate for this hat's 'pass-ability' as a good Indy hat, it will not stand up beyond the lightest exposure to the elements. Only after two reblocks at my local hatter and lots of kitchen tomfoolery did my Christys begin to stabilize. By then, it was starting to look pretty gnarly.

jlee562
05-30-2012, 12:00 AM
I think the HJ Poet/Christy's Adventurer makes a fine looking LC lid, with kiltie's caveat that it is not the most durable of felts.

The Pawn
06-04-2012, 12:43 AM
I'm in the market for a new lid while I wait for my Kelso jacket. Should I go with a Penman, Garrison or Steel & Jones. All offer the Cairo bash, but I'm undecided. Any thoughts?

fifthchamber
06-04-2012, 12:45 AM
Penman.....

Always, absolutely, and totally, if you have the cash, and the wait time is not an issue, Penman everytime...

Nothing else needs to be said..The man is a genius with hats.

The Pawn
06-04-2012, 02:12 AM
What's the wait time for the Penman?

fenris
06-04-2012, 02:45 AM
Of all the three, I think the Penman is the most beautiful. But I think Garrison and Steel & Jones have the shorter wait times.

fifthchamber
06-04-2012, 03:27 AM
It's at 5-6 months currently...

I can say from experience that the time actually flies though...I'd expected a loooooong wait, but it felt far shorter than I'd expected...

If time is an issue, then yeah, Garrison or Steele and Jones make decent hats with shorter waits....

But, if you're asking, there's not much out there that could be a Penman, wait time or no...And yeah, I'm biased....But Penman makes BLOODY amazing hats...

So it's "fair" bias....

fifthchamber
06-04-2012, 03:28 AM
"beat a Penman", not "be a Penman"...Whoops..

Oh, and since the Kelso Jackets look so great, I'd suggest, if time isn't too much of an issue, that you save for a hat that matches the quality of the jacket....And Penman is that and more...

Regards.

djd
06-04-2012, 03:29 AM
Wait time on a penman is 4-5 months. Is fedoraraiders still going? His hats are great too

crismans
06-04-2012, 03:36 AM
I've not seen a Garrison or a Steele and Jones, but I've owned several Penmans (and still have a Raiders). His hats are absolutely top quality and he's a pleasure to deal with.

fifthchamber
06-04-2012, 06:05 AM
It's also well worth keeping an eye of the "for sale" section here and on other sites..Since you'll often get great hats coming through by great makers at insane prices, and with no wait time needed...

Although it's not "yours" as such, it's still one great way to find a good deal....

But, since you say this'll be the "one" for you, I'd still suggest JP....

adirondack jones
06-06-2012, 01:36 PM
I know Penman makes a great hat, but Steele and Jones is reasonably priced, has a reasonable wait time, and is a beautiful hat. And Diego and Roberto are great gentlemen to deal with. Plus I think there is a certain cachet to having a custom made lid from Argentina.....

Weston
06-08-2012, 05:31 AM
Wow, I am really finding some good stuff with the recent shake up of the site!

If you order a Miller, get the #257 Open Crown Miller Fedora Hat. It was originally the Stetson "Nostalgia", and though it's sold through Miller, I believe it still comes with the Stetson "Sovereign" label. It's listed under "Dress Hats", not the "Indiana Jones Hats". I bought my last one in 1996, and it was a very good fedora. It would have lasted longer if I wasn't both ignorant about hat care, and obsessive about shaping the darn thing. I still have it, but I gave it to my boy, who loves it dearly.

Weston

deadseascrolls
06-10-2012, 10:41 PM
For custom made hats, I'd like to mention my good friend/hatter Parker Melvin of Falcon Park Hattery in McHenry, Illinois. Technically not my "first" ever Indy hat, but my FIRST fur felt Indy hat with all the bells and whistles came from a fellow who redid Stetson cowboy hats and old Stetson fedoras and made them into Indy fedoras. The hat I got from him was his first attempt at it and so it was nice but needed some more work done to it. I asked Parker if he could refurbish the hat and do a good overhaul of it and he said he could (and for a great price too). The hat also had some small holes in it and, inspired by the conversation in "The Army of the Dead" book, I asked him if he could also patch up holes in the felt. Again, he said no problem.

Long story short - he did a PHENOMENAL job and if you check this link out, you can see my hat before the cleaning/reblock and after (the top hat): http://www.falconparkhattery.com/Cleaning___Restoration.html

I have yet to sit down here and write up a story of this hat as it is what I truly consider my first actual "Indy" Indy hat and I have a hard time justifying selling it as I've got some very close connections with the fellows who both sold and worked on it and who have become my friends as a result. If I can find some good quality "bored out of my mind" time, I'll sit down and try to write something up.

Indiego Jones
06-11-2012, 12:20 AM
It's an honor to be considered next to Penman.
HE IS A MASTER. You won't regret, will last forever, and worth the wait.

Thank you very much.

bendingoak
06-12-2012, 04:35 AM
It's an honor to be considered next to Penman.
HE IS A MASTER. You won't regret, will last forever, and worth the wait.

Thank you very much.

Thank you very much for saying that. You are to kind.

adirondack jones
06-20-2012, 01:26 PM
(See, that's what I meant about Diego and Roberto being good guys-- real gentlemen)

bendingoak
09-29-2012, 06:55 PM
You got my price wrong for my Indy rabbit hat offerings.