PDA

View Full Version : Gussets - something to ponder

RCSignals
11-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Some people are suggesting that gussets on the Raiders jacket is not 'correct', not SA
So, gussets are not SA? Here is the thing. The jacket Tony had to duplicate "they" (editorial they) all want to say was made by Cooper, and was THE HERO jacket. Also that it was the Iman's jacket.

Now the US Wings 'Legend' is supposed to be a 100% Cooper pattern, so should be EXACTLY the same as the TN Raider. Does that make sense?
I read that the 'Legend' does not have gussets. Hopefully someone will confirm if it has or not.

The TN Raider has gussets because 'the jacket' which was given to Tony Nowak to duplicate had gussets. That jacket is one of the jackets worn by Ford, in the Hawaii scene and some think the Iman's scenes, possibly other scenes.

crismans
11-12-2010, 12:25 AM
After seeing pictures of the Legend jacket, while it is a nice jacket and the closest Raiders jacket Wings has put out, I can't point to any scene in the movie and say there it is, that's the Cooper jacket. This isn't saying that a Cooper's pattern didn't make it to screen (personally, I think the jury's still out as to the validity of the whole story), but it isn't shown in such a way that it "jumps out at you". I can't remember where I saw it (it may very well have been in the Hawaiian scenes) but gussets are visible in at least one scene in Raiders.

HWaltonJonesJr.Phd
11-12-2010, 01:23 AM
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i370/ojnabanjo/2870596092_499b666034_o.jpg
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i370/ojnabanjo/2870609916_a7eb714918_o.jpg

Edited by Admin to add updated link to image

Weston
11-12-2010, 01:44 AM
Now the US Wings 'Legend' is supposed to be a 100% Cooper pattern, so should be EXACTLY the same as the TN Raider. Does that make sense?
I read that the 'Legend' does not have gussets. Hopefully someone will confirm if it has or not.

Well, at this point there aren't a whole lot of "someones" who can confirm this, so I'll do it. No, the Legend jacket does not have gussets.

As to the Cooper jacket being THE hero jacket, I don't think anyones pushing that line anymore, at least not in any threads I've read elsewhere. As I said in another thread, those topics are no longer a source of amusement or interest to me, so I haven't dug into them much here. In other forums, I haven't even seen the topic brought up in several weeks, though it's possible I've overlooked them.

Weston

RCSignals
11-12-2010, 03:06 AM
Thanks for clarifying that Weston. You weren't the someone I was thinking of but then you are the only one who would have the courtesy to and bother confirming.
It's not a big deal and just a curiosity. I can see reasons why, even if the original pattern did have them, a factory mass produced line would eliminate them. Not suggesting that is what has happened, just thinking aloud.

RCSignals
11-12-2010, 03:08 AM
Thanks HWaltonJonesJr. I'm sure all the 'Hero' jackets had them, but given their location they aren't always going to be obvious. They are almost a necessity on jackets with trimmer sleeves and higher fitting arm holes.

Ravenswood
11-12-2010, 06:04 PM
This is a fascinating subject! I started doing research on this with the thought in mind that I read somewhere (can't recall exactly where) that some of the screen used jackets had gussets, some didn't. They are clearly evident in the action scenes, as represented in the pics above.
My thought is that the Imam jacket did not have them, for what that is worth.
Thanks Weston, for jumping in on this. Especially since you own the Legend Jacket, I figured you'd be the ultimate authority, and I stopped just short of emailing you this question to confirm. Not trying to be discourteous though! :o
Hope you don't mind me chiming in. It's good to be here, especially after my brief hiatus from all things Indy jacket ;)
Ravenswood

RCSignals
11-13-2010, 06:58 AM
Why would anyone mind you chiming in? Good to see you here Ravenswood.

Basically if the Iman's did not have gussets, the TN Raiders would not be the Iman's.

What do you base your thought the iman's did not have gussets on? Just curious.

Ravenswood
11-13-2010, 07:17 PM
Thanks RC :) Great to be here!
About the gussets: I am just trying to reason through that quote (which I still don't have the time to find, much apologies, but it left a mark in my mind) about some screen used jackets having gussets, and others not. It was a while back before we narrowed it down to (what is it now?) three (?) screen used jackets. I really wish I had something more concrete at this stage in the game. Don't mean to spin wheels, just more to ponder in the hopes that someone else might have something to offer on this.

The Last Crusader
11-13-2010, 11:56 PM
It's not a big deal and just a curiosity. I can see reasons why, even if the original pattern did have them, a factory mass produced line would eliminate them. Not suggesting that is what has happened, just thinking aloud. Gibson and Barnes has gussets (as everyone here probably already knows.. :-[) I just mention it as I wonder what constitutes a "mass produced line." G&B are factory made, (I've been there and watched the process.) There's a guy using metal patterns with which he stamps out the leather pieces. These are them placed in a bin with the other jacket components and passed along to the seamster who sews everything together.

Is there a more "mass produced" way of doing this?

Michael

RCSignals
11-14-2010, 08:32 AM
That's a good point Michael. I don't know if there is a more 'mass produced' way than that.
My point though was that eliminating gussets would be eliminating a (small almost insignificant) piece that doesn't have to be dealt with. I'd think that would make mass production that much simpler. Maybe not.

crismans
11-14-2010, 02:02 PM
Ravenswood, I remember it being said that some jackets had gussets and some did not as well. It also left an "impression" on my mind. Coming back to it though, I don't remember if there was any "facts" to support that assertion or not. I seem to remember that it was being discussed back in forth, but I'm not sure there was any evidence to back it up.

So, I'm not saying that it isn't true, but I can't vouch for the validity of the statement.