PDA

View Full Version : Todd's Boots

Raider S
08-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Here's an oldie but a goldie: Todd's boots on the trail. My only pair of shoes during a couple weeks in Peru. Lots of hiking and slippery stones but they did great and the rough use totally shifted my original opinion of them. Absolutely a great purchase. By the way, I'm wearing a couple pairs of thick socks if the boots look small; kind of cold in the mornings at altitude that time of year.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/tacophoto/todds_mp.jpg

Probably should have given this guy my boots...
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/tacophoto/todds_pis.jpg

RCSignals
08-05-2010, 12:57 AM
They look good.

But do you have them laced properly? What kind of knot did you tie them with? ;)

jasonalun
08-05-2010, 01:20 AM
Sweet! Great background in that first one, too. I love my Todd's. With how far apart the eyelets are, though, you must have some thick socks on under there! I initially put gel insoles in mine, fearing they wouldn't be comfortable enough, and mine were stretched apart a bit like that too. I finally took them out and they turned out to be comfortable enough without anything inside.

Nefarious
08-05-2010, 06:45 PM
holy smokes....i didn't know these were YOUR boots! ha ha, i just want to let you know that those pics inspired me to get a pair of my own.......much to the shigrin (sp?) of my wife who was asking me why i needed another pair that looked exactly the same as the 3 i have.....LOL

crismans
08-07-2010, 02:09 AM
Those look really good. I've had trouble dropping the cash for Aldens (there's so many jackets and hats out there) but I've been really tempted by these before. After this, it looks like I'll have to get a pair.

Raider S
08-07-2010, 02:20 AM
Get two pair, they're small! Really, you'll like them for the price. I've never been a fan of what I feel are overpriced shoes.

jasonalun
08-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Yes, C - you won't be disappointed. I wasn't sure what to expect (but was hopeful after reading a couple good reviews) but those are some of my favorite shoes now, and they do look Indy! Especially if you get them dusty and dirty. I did some rough work in them one day and they were covered in cement dust and general dirt, and man, they looked just like they came off Harrison's feet in Last Crusade or something!

Kt Templar
08-07-2010, 04:03 PM
I really hate to be a damp squib here. But from The Character's experience, some of the Todds boots suffer from not being made of strong enough material.

His lasted less than 6 months and that is with reheeling and resoles.

Raider S
08-07-2010, 04:38 PM
KT, from a couple different sources, this has been a problem with some of the boots. Might depend on what batch they came from.

If people recall, Todd offered to pay for having new soles put on boots from the second batch. There was also a sizing issue with the first ones - they ran a size or two small - then people starting talking about the soles on the next ones.

Personally, mine have been worn for several winters now and other than normal/minor heel wear they've been great. I like mine so much I got a second pair that I've not worn yet. Hopefully they will be as good as the first.

jasonalun
08-07-2010, 05:52 PM
KT, I know there were some big problems with the first batch or two, but I haven't heard of any that purchased from the same time as I did (last fall I believe) that had those kinds of issues. Not saying it hasn't happened, but I haven't heard of them, and I've seen a number of reviews of people who have boots from around the same run as mine who's boots seem to have held up as well as mine. So my guess would be he's gotten the kinks worked out of them for the most part. It depends, too, on how they are used - I wear mine casually, as shoes, some want to use them as all-purpose boots. Todd had stated (I believe) that they are not work boots. They are shoes that look like boots. If they are treated as such they should hold up well for a $70-some dollar shoe. They are not Aldens, however, and will eventually come apart if they are treated harshly like Aldens can be.

Not trying to argue with you, KT - you're right there have been problems with Todd's boots - but I think they have been worked out for the most part.

The Character
08-08-2010, 12:05 AM
I really liked my Todds but literally wore them for around 2 weeks solid initially ... Just walking around ... Noticed that the heel was wearing quickly so I then took them in to be realise for a cost of about 27 pounds ... Heels and soles.

I got them back and had them for another three weeks wearing them off and on .. Again nothing heavy duty. I had one trek around London with KT and then the following week noticed the leather uppers were detaching from the sole. This was in the snows and I decided to take them in the following week but on arrival at the cobblers ... I noticed the actual uppers had ripped apart leaving nothing to attach. I then glued them the best I could but to no avail and so they went in the trash. All in all I probably got two months out of them.

Shame really as I liked them but the fault seemed to be that the steel slug in the sole made it so inflexBle that it put too much strain on the leather upper. Just check along the join between the upper and sole IDE suggest to make sure all is well.

jasonalun
08-08-2010, 01:20 AM
I don't discount what happened to you Character. That's a shame for sure. I just know people who have worn them and worn them worn them and some had to re-sole them after several months but after that they held up great. I guess here it isn't very expensive to get a shoe re-soled. I think one guy said he paid $15 or something. 27 pounds - ouch! I guess I would be pretty miffed if I had that happen to mine.

The Character
08-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Like I said i did like them but .. they were never the most comfortable shoe .... As a fan of distressing i then bough a pair of Wrangler boots from Amazon that were kinda similar but much more comfortable .. distressed the hel out of them and used a soldering iron to add in the 'stitch lines on the front ... so the new ones are a lot more practical and to be honest .. thats more important if you're walking around all day ....

I've had a ton of other stuff from Todd though and all excellent so i'm not gonna dis the guy over some faulty boots!

jasonalun
08-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Glad to know you're still on board with Todd. He works really hard to make great stuff at an affordable price, which is a boon for people on a budget like me. ;D I plan to get his gloves and belts, and maybe a gun.

indyclone25
08-10-2010, 03:49 PM
i love my todds boots i have had them since feburary, and i put a sole guard on my shoes to keep them a bit longer , when the guard starts to wear i will take them in to be re-guarded , only 20 bucks a small price to pay to keep the shoes in tip top shape ;D

deadseascrolls
08-14-2010, 03:15 AM
Here's an oldie but a goldie: Todd's boots on the trail. My only pair of shoes during a couple weeks in Peru. Lots of hiking and slippery stones but they did great and the rough use totally shifted my original opinion of them. Absolutely a great purchase. By the way, I'm wearing a couple pairs of thick socks if the boots look small; kind of cold in the mornings at altitude that time of year.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/tacophoto/todds_mp.jpg

Probably should have given this guy my boots...
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/tacophoto/todds_pis.jpg

Nice pair of boots! The first pair I bought (and wear) are that exact same color. At that time, I was like most of you (and still are), not feeling right about spending $400 on a pair of Aldens I wanted an alternative. Also, after reading all the "warnings" by past customers about the boots breaking and ripping apart, I wanted to make sure I had a nice backup set. Granted, I rarely wear them (they tend to hurt my feet more than help them), but I've been thinking of wearing one pair around the yard as everday work boots.

So what's the consensus out there about them holding up to the daily grind of the equivalent work that Harrison Ford used his Aldens for?

pilgrim_in_an_unholy_land
09-23-2010, 03:25 AM
are the soles just flat? i mean, do you get any traction out of them, or do they slide around like dancing shoes? From what I've seen, Aldens have smooth soles, but I'd rather get something with some grip.

Raider S
09-23-2010, 03:41 AM
They are smooth soles, but like a pair of cowboy boots you get used to walking in them. Some have tried to claim smooth soles are just as good as a tread for traction, but that's a load! Of course a tread will give better traction on wet surfaces, smooth stones, etc.

People have been mentioning comfort and I must agree these are not so comfortable right out of the box. I took my gel inserts out the other day and wore the boots for a couple hours and my feet, at the heels, were killing me! They really need some cushioning so inserts are a must for me.

pilgrim_in_an_unholy_land
09-23-2010, 08:59 AM
Yeah, I've got a pair of ostrich skin cowboy boots with smooth soles, and while they're probably the most comfortable shoes I own, I often find myself slipping and sliding. I mean, even if the shoes indy wore did have smooth soles in the movies, there's no way indy would actually wear a smooth sole, ya know? And I won't either.

RCSignals
09-23-2010, 04:37 PM
I think it depends on the composition of the soles. If it's smooth leather it will tend to slip, but not always.
I've been told the Alden soles are not slippery, and these Todd's versions duplicate that. I don't own either so I can't testify to it. I have owned smooth sole shoes though with non-leather soles that definitely did not slip.

Kt Templar
09-23-2010, 04:41 PM
Aldens on smooth supermarket floor.

Lots of leg moving and staying in the same spot.

Not very adventurey.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

RCSignals
09-23-2010, 05:49 PM
so Aldens slip on highly polished supermarket floors? ??? :laugh:

The Last Crusader
09-24-2010, 10:27 PM
so Aldens slip on highly polished supermarket floors? ??? :laugh:
Let's keep this under wraps...If George gets wind of it, he might see a potential "gag' scene in it for Indy 5! :-[