PDA

View Full Version : Color Comparisons of SIX possible Indy Pants!

Chewbacca Jones
10-30-2010, 02:33 AM
I realized today that I had a great sampling of "close enough" trousers, all of different colors... along with two true Indy trousers. I decided to take a comparison photo for color choices.

I took 3 photos, all showing, from top to bottom;
LL Bean Dark Khaki Dress Chinos (old, discontinued color)
LL Bean Driftwood Dress Chinos (replacement for dark khaki, less green, more tan/brown)
Magnoli Dark Khaki Wool Blend
LL Bean Taupe Microfiber Chinos (same pattern as Dress Chinos)
LL Bean Brown Double L Chinos (don't have pocket flaps)
Noel Howard 100% Wool Raiders

1. With Flash
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4038/5127611114_120fe73a80.jpg

2. With Flash, light source at slightly different angle
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1135/5127612050_d665324972.jpg

3. No Flash
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1065/5127612666_6e056e8326.jpg

I really like the color on the Brown ones. If a darker color is more important to the wearer than pocket flaps, they are the ones to grab.
I hope this helps people somewhere along the line. :TOH:

neutronbomb
10-30-2010, 02:40 AM
Ah...Chewie. Wish I had the Noel Howards. Nice collection. I'm assuming the Noel's are your favorite. What do you think of the Noel's though. Is the wool too hot, scratchy. Thanks for taking the different sets of photos under different lighting conditions. Much appreciated.

RCSignals
10-30-2010, 03:45 AM
the Noel Howard colour really stands out against the others

Kt Templar
10-30-2010, 10:52 AM
The cavalry twill stands high above the rest.

deadseascrolls
10-30-2010, 02:51 PM
As someone whose spent nearly every free second of their life they have on researching, analyzing, and obsessing about the trousers (trousers are what people wear, pants are technically underwear if you're living in the UK :D), my vote has to go towards the Noel Howard's as well.

How do the NH's compare to the Wested's color-wise? The Wested's, while a very nice pink, seem to be a little darker than what can be considered SA. Still, a GREAT deal for 100% wool cavalry twill trousers at $140 US (buying the fabric ALONE runs $300 to make 1 pair of trousers for the regular joe). These look like they'd be a nice light pink/beige color, which seems to be the generalized color he wore in all the films (although lighting, camera shades, etc make the coloring look different).

And, along the same lines as what Chewy pointed out about the pocket flaps on the other one, the NH's don't have the SA pocket flaps, and are more along the lines of regular officer pinks styling.

But overall, if I had to choose one of yours Chewy, I'd DEFINITELY go for the Noel Howard's!

Thanks for posting this! It's a wonderful supplement to my thread on the Indy trousers and has been a help already to me.

DSS

Marauder
10-30-2010, 09:56 PM
The cavalry twill stands high above the rest.

I agree, the pattern of the weave is distinct.

Chewbacca Jones
10-31-2010, 08:24 PM
Ah...Chewie. Wish I had the Noel Howards. Nice collection. I'm assuming the Noel's are your favorite. What do you think of the Noel's though. Is the wool too hot, scratchy.

Surprisingly, the Noel Howard's wool is not scratchy at all. It can feel a little itchy after a while in hot & humid conditions, though. But that's normal for heavy wool. Also, I don't find the NH pants to be overly warm in the heat, which is saying a lot because I have a low tolerance for heat. I think the humidity is the main problem.

By comparison, the Wested's that I no longer own were much scratchier and itchy, and all I ever did was try them on and walk around around the house in them.

How do the NH's compare to the Wested's color-wise? The Wested's, while a very nice pink, seem to be a little darker than what can be considered SA.

As I just mentioned, I had a pair of Westeds... briefly. The color, next to the NH, is not so much darker or lighter. Just "different." Sort of in the way that a dye lot can be different. Bonehead me, I never took a photo. I sold them off because the legs tapered too much. In a big size like mine, I ended up looking like MC Hammer Jones :D

deadseascrolls
10-31-2010, 08:51 PM
Chewy,

Thanks for the info on the NH's vs. the Westeds. I know what you mean by the tapering. One thing I've mentioned in another forum on those is the question I still have as to why they are so tapered. If I understand right, Wested bases their trousers off the MBA/NH trousers as far as general specs, width, etc. goes. Yet they are more tapered in the leg than the NH's, which, I understand, have a wider leg body to them, making them more "baggy". When I put my Wested's on the first time (when they were unhemmed), the opening was 8.5" and you could definitely see the taper in them. However, when I got mine hemmed and shortened to me, the opening ended up at 9" which is THE LEAST one would want their leg opening to be in order for the rest of the widths to be in spec for the proper baggy fit. So now they drape more properly. But that's for another time in another thread.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to answer my question. If you know the answer(s) to the question I've just posed above, I'd be very interested to hear your take on it as I've always been curious about that.

DSS

jones the whip
11-06-2010, 01:01 PM
It really is astonishing how the NH's jump off the page at you. Canyon was kind enough to bring a pair to the RMS gathering and even at a glance they are unlike any other Indy trousers I've seen, absolutely perfect.
I'm surprized no one has taken a pair of these to be copied by a tailor. There are several good quality cavalry twills currently available and I'm sure a realistic match can be made.
If I owned a pair of these, that's what I'd be doing.

Cheers,
JTW.

Chewbacca Jones
11-07-2010, 12:01 AM
Well, as I understand, that color/twill combo is hard to get. It took Magnoli a lot of work to finally get it. He now offers it. But, I suppose if one happens to look in the right place or have the right connections, you can get something good.

I know of at least one person (forgot who) that did have the NH pants copied by a tailor in a fabric they chose. I don't think the color was much different than the LL Bean stuff, though.