PDA

View Full Version : Whip question for you all!

Midland Whips
10-11-2010, 07:28 PM
OK guys,
I'm always aiming to improve my whips in performance and looks. Here is my question,

What do you guys see and think is SA for the trilogy whips. Forget all the stuff you have read and been told and just tell me what you think is SA and what you see. I know this is a hard question but when I look at the doom whip I don't see a tapered handle and when I look at the crusade I see the same whip as the doom but only aged more. In some scenes I see a slightly thicker looking whip but for the most, still the same as Doom and Raiders. The doom looks like an aged Raiders to me also. I'm sure some of you have screen grabs to show and compare and I thought this would be a good way to go about it.

I'm looking forward to reading your views and comments.

Graeme

jasonalun
10-11-2010, 09:05 PM
This is a great question Graeme and I'll be interested to hear the answers people give. I myself couldn't answer because, to be embarrassingly honest, I've never really paid that close of attention to Indy's whips! :( I was too busy admiring his hat. ;D But I'm trying to learn more about whips and so I'd love to hear what everyone thinks on this topic.

faststreetsofhongkong
10-11-2010, 09:07 PM
I would say to pic an iconic screen grab or still from each film and model off of that. Of course each film had many different whips, that is why I say choose an iconic moment from each of the films, get a still, and go from there.

If you are exactly match a still from the movie, in a moment that everyone likes ... how can you go wrong?

My iconic moments would be:

Raiders: Streets of Cairo, Indy pulls whip from whip holder (and a great still to grab as well at 38:50 mark).

Temple of Doom: Bridge Scene (1:44:50 mark)

Last Crusade: Removing from whip holder on the window in Castle (47:22 mark)

MOTB: Exiting the pick up truck in the snow (2:39 mark)

KOTCS: ? (many good shots)

Noah
10-12-2010, 12:54 AM
I posted my thoughts on other forums, but I'll share them here too. When I think of a TOD whip, I think of a longer, tapered handle and thin thong. When I think of an LC whip, I think of it being a little thicker, and very little taper in the handle. I think of the Raiders whip being thin, with no taper in the handle except right before the turks knot. Also the butt knot is different from the TOD and LC whips.

:)

Midland Whips
10-12-2010, 08:09 AM
I would say to pic an iconic screen grab or still from each film and model off of that. Of course each film had many different whips, that is why I say choose an iconic moment from each of the films, get a still, and go from there.

If you are exactly match a still from the movie, in a moment that everyone likes ... how can you go wrong?

My iconic moments would be:

Raiders: Streets of Cairo, Indy pulls whip from whip holder (and a great still to grab as well at 38:50 mark).

Temple of Doom: Bridge Scene (1:44:50 mark)

Last Crusade: Removing from whip holder on the window in Castle (47:22 mark)

MOTB: Exiting the pick up truck in the snow (2:39 mark)

KOTCS: ? (many good shots)

I agree my friend, you need to find a scene with the whip you like, and thats SA for you. The opening scene in Raiders when Indy whips the gun out of Barrancas hand is my all time favorite opening to a movie and my favorite whip from Raiders. In Doom I like the whip on Indy's belt when he and Shorty are trapped in that room about to get squished. In Crusade I like the whip right through the tank chase scene.