PDA

View Full Version : Just enjoying wearing the gear

crismans
10-03-2010, 04:48 PM
It's fall here in KY (or at least it's done a good impersonation the last few days) and I've gotten to wear a couple of jackets. I've worn my Todd's Standard a little and took out my Nowak 747 today. Unfortunately, I've (and I catch myself still wondering how it happened) been privy to a dark undercurrent that runs through our little hobby (in all honesty, I've probably even inadvertently added to it) and sometimes I wonder if I don't just need to move on. Days like today, though, when you can just enjoy wearing the gear reminds me why I got into this hobby in the first place.

The Last Crusader
10-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Thanks for sharing this, cris. I certainly understand your feelings as I have experienced similar feelings lately. My love for Indy and the gear has not diminished, but for me, the "fun" of the Indy Boards has certainly been impacted. I guess I'm a bit disillusioned by how folks have been allowed to be treated. (Elsewhere.)

For me, most of the fun has always been centered around learning about the gear, ordering it, distressing it, learning the techniques of other fans, sharing the finished products and wearing it! I still enjoy those types of threads, but lately, it seems that these simple threads about gear have become few and far between. Almost as if that kind of talk "has been done to death" and only the more sensational information gets any press nowadays. Perhaps Jerry Springer has finally found his way into the Indy community.

This "falling away" doesn't seem to be an unusual process, as I have watched other members who were once excited to contribute, sort of fade into the background, as the "going's on" in the spotlight have become somewhat distasteful.

Again, these observations are describing "another place" and are not aimed at this site or it's content. I still visit both places and still try to contribute positively, but find myself showing up less and less. My sweetheart has even noticed the "change" as I speak less about the "cool gear" and more about the "people issues." Now I pretty much don't talk about it at all with her; why make her feel bad, as well?

I'm always going to be an Indy fan and will always enjoy talking and sharing gear with other Gear Heads; but for now I'm adjusting my perspective on the rest of it.

Cris, it makes me smile to imagine you walking through the trees of Kentucky as the leaves change color and the air grows crisp, wearing your jacket and enjoying God's beauty. I've been enjoying my Novak and even wore my new 403's to church this morning. Still wearing them as I write this and focus on what's really important. And it's not the gear or the sites or even the fans; focusing too much on any of that throws the whole hobby out of balance and we can lose perspective. Tony was right; "It's just a @#$% jacket." And at his service, when I saw the enormous crowd of family, friends and loved ones, I finally understood what that much quoted statement really meant.

Thank you for sharing your feelings, cris. If you do decide to "move on," I certainly understand. Just remember to drop in and say hello every now and again. ;)

Michael

djd
10-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Well said guys!

I've booked lunch on the Orient Express for a wedding anniversary treat in April. The train only goes down to the Kent coast and back but its the 1930's British Pullman carriages and a 5 course meal with wine and champagne. Seems like an excellent excuse to wear one of my fedoras ;D

The Character
10-04-2010, 01:29 PM
Hey Crisman

I took that as meaning that occasionally you put your gear on and go out into the big wide world and it instantly makes you realise that its about enjoying your gear and the company of like minded folks .... it kinda puts it in perspective. For me .. i like the films and i love the gear and its good to chat about .... its only a movie and its only a jacket, which is not to detract from the skill of the people out there making money or a career out of it at all, but is it really worth the upset and infighting when everybody .. and i do mean everybody has a different opinion and perspective ... I'm always interested to hear other peoples thoughts .. i may not like em or agree with em but its also not my place to tell them what is or is not correct. In the end its just another point of view..... IMO ... lol.

'You dolt! ... D'you think my boy would be shtupid enough to bring his opinionsh here?'

'You didn't did you?'

'You did!'

'I should have shent him to the Marx Brothers forum!'

crismans
10-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. TC, you're absolutely right that it's just a movie and just a jacket. It's a fun diversion for me (and for most people, I expect). And there are a lot of great people that I have met through this hobby that have made up for the negatives brought on by some "personalities".

And I didn't bring this up to bash anyone (and thanks everyone for realizing that) but just to say that it's good to enjoy the gear and realize that's where the fun's at.

Noah
10-05-2010, 02:00 AM
When I first got into collecting Indy Gear it was all fun. Now there seems to be a lot of arguments and sorts going on. I still do enjoy watching the movies, getting gear, discussing it, learning and sharing. We just need to remember to sit back and enjoy. That's what this all should be about.

deadseascrolls
10-05-2010, 02:36 AM
When I first got into collecting Indy Gear it was all fun. Now there seems to be a lot of arguments and sorts going on. I still do enjoy watching the movies, getting gear, discussing it, learning and sharing. We just need to remember to sit back and enjoy. That's what this all should be about.

I agree with Noah. I still think it's enjoyable to collect and to learn about what's SA/what's not, where to get the items from as far as vendors go, how to properly take care and display the items, and to see other peoples' collections. Junior has some incredible SA gear, Michael does a heck of a job as a Renaissance man (I mean c'mon, who can do as good of a job dyeing pants to SA colors, working with leather of different types, and distressing items), and DJD makes me so envious with his drawing talent. And that's just a few of the things I've noticed on this forum. I'll admit that I was one of those individuals that suffered about a year ago at "the place that shall not be named" because of the infighting and attacks because people felt empowered to attack other people's comments and suggestions because they didn't like them. I'll also admit that I also can get hot-tempered and what's so dangerous is how easily accessible it is for emotions to shoot through the intellect, down through the arms, into the fingers, and resulting in posts that, while written in the heat of passion, can become detrimental later on. I was listening to John Tesh on the radio the other day and he was saying how more people are getting fired because of the easy access to emails and the distance we have by not actually "seeing" the person. How many people would actually say the things they do on these forums when angry if they had to look the actual person in the eye? Now don't get me wrong - I'm just as guilty of this as well. There's "Constructive Criticism" and then there's just plain old "Criticism". We here at this forum fall under the former and everyone is so sensible and kind here. I'm just so blessed to be a part of this forum and to meet all of you.

But when there begins the nashing of teeth between fellow members who no longer see this as just a hobby but an obsession, then I personally feel it's time to re-evaluate the foundations and bylaws of the forum or simply pull the curtain down on it. I'd hate to see it happen to any forum, especially one that's been around and been such an integral part of our collecting as "that which should not be named", but if it's purpose is no longer to establish meaningful relationships and a safe and friendly environment for all those involved, then it becomes a damaging entity that must be changed or stopped.

What's more important - a SA Raiders leather jacket that many times than not only the person who owns it themselves really cherishes, or the person whose self-esteem and hobby you've either hurt or killed because they don't take it "quite" as seriously as they do?

I choose the person... how about you?

DSS

The Last Crusader
10-05-2010, 03:10 AM
I just want to apologize for pulling cris into my post, when it was of such a sensitive nature. Reading cris' words just pricked the surface of a ball of resentment in my belly that I am obviously still working through.

In re-reading my post, I can see how I was including cris as if he were a fellow traveler through my issues.

I apologize, cris.

Michael

Zane
10-05-2010, 03:31 AM
I just want to say I agree 100% with all of you! I just had a crazy experience today at the “other place”. I think its time for me to spend some more time around here. I will never give up my gear; also the hobby has I’m afraid taken a turn for the negative “else where“. Please don’t get me wrong my intentions is not to bash “else where” this is just my true honest feelings.

Crismans, I’ve been a huge fan of your posts for a long time and I hope to still see you around. Your humor, and jackets has always been just a adventure to read and look at. Thanks for all you have done!

RC Signals, Wow where do I begin to say thanks for helping me with all my jacket help with Tony Nowak & Riley. Your posts and threads are always a blast to read! I have been a huge fan as well before I got to know you.

Tudraider, you are the most genuine person I would have to say! Your kind thoughts and passion are truly one of a kind. I enjoy it when Tudraider gets new gear because you always write the best reviews ever!

Anyways I hope to see all of you around here! Even though I don’t know most of you face to face I still consider you great friends!

Zane 8)

deadseascrolls
10-05-2010, 03:49 AM
I just want to say I agree 100% with all of you! I just had a crazy experience today at the “other place”. I think its time for me to spend some more time around here. I will never give up my gear; also the hobby has I’m afraid taken a turn for the negative “else where“. Please don’t get me wrong my intentions is not to bash “else where” this is just my true honest feelings.

Crismans, I’ve been a huge fan of your posts for a long time and I hope to still see you around. Your humor, and jackets has always been just a adventure to read and look at. Thanks for all you have done!

RC Signals, Wow where do I begin to say thanks for helping me with all my jacket help with Tony Nowak & Riley. Your posts and threads are always a blast to read! I have been a huge fan as well before I got to know you.

Tudraider, you are the most genuine person I would have to say! Your kind thoughts and passion are truly on of a kind. I enjoy it when Tudraider gets new gear because you always write the best reviews ever!

Anyways I hope to see all of you around here! Even though I don’t know most of you face to face I still consider you great friends!

Zane 8)

My sentiments exactly! I have found that the other place is wonderful to be at to sift through all the topics and threads to find the answer(s) one needs, but I have only recently started a thread there with a question I've also posted here and got some uneasy vibes from those answering. As my friend has mentioned, it's getting to be a "good ol' boys" club where if you haven't been around for as long as these guys/gals, you really honestly shouldn't belong there in the first place. Or at least that's the vibe I've gotten there. I find it more useful now for, besides what I mentioned above, the vendor discounts and For Sale Classifieds. If F&G had the same in's with the vendors that the other place does and could offer those same discounts to us, F&G would be THE ULTIMATE forum in my view. We're on a rolling start though with Sarge Hack! :) Keep it up folks! We'll have the other forum beat in no time! Not that I'm aiming at that by participating here :-\ ;)

P.S: Speaking of which - I wonder if Sarge would offer the $100 discount he offers the other place for the CE Wings jacket? I'll have to call and ask about that. Wouldn't that be sweet! Will keep all of you posted.

IfAdventureHasAName
10-05-2010, 04:07 AM
To all my fellow "Indiana Jones" fans here on "Fortune and Glory"

Official and non-official websites and message boards, along with those members, will come and go. But, your love for "Indiana Jones" will live on forever. It may wane now and then but, it will always be there inside of you.

For whatever reason you have for being an "Indiana Jones" fan, stay true to that reason, stay true to yourself. :)

crismans
10-05-2010, 03:32 PM
I just want to apologize for pulling cris into my post, when it was of such a sensitive nature. Reading cris' words just pricked the surface of a ball of resentment in my belly that I am obviously still working through.

In re-reading my post, I can see how I was including cris as if he were a fellow traveler through my issues.

I apologize, cris.

Michael

No apologies needed for my end! And, yeah, you were very right that we have the same issues on a lot of topics! ;)

I was just wanting to clarify that I wasn't using the thread to bash any particular board or other fans (and I don't think any of you were doing that either). And I appreciate the votes of support very much, but also to clarify, I wasn't saying "poor, pitiful me. I'm thinking of leaving". I've seen that type of thing go on several times before and I don't want to engage in it.

I was just saying that I've let the actions of some "characters" have a negative effects on my enjoyment of the hobby (this occurring primarily when you dig into the history of these jackets) and the enjoyment of wearing a piece of gear helped remind me of why I got into this hobby in the first place.

I hope all of you (and myself!) can let other's agendas wash off your back and just enjoy the gear.

RCSignals
10-07-2010, 03:27 AM

Tudraider, you are the most genuine person I would have to say! Your kind thoughts and passion are truly one of a kind. I enjoy it when Tudraider gets new gear because you always write the best reviews ever!

Zane 8)

thank you Zane. The feeling is mutual.

While I obviously am not directly privy to what goes on where you refer, I was made aware of the situation you mention. I do still have friends.
Unbelievable stuff. Especially the accusation toward "members who started another site after being banned " feeding information from there to a certain CEO.
What's that all about? Time for that kind of innuendo and paranoia to end, shouldn't it be?

Who cares if someone owns jackets or any piece of kit from different makers? Lets just enjoy and share what we have and knowledge we gain.

The Last Crusader
10-07-2010, 10:18 PM

Zane 8)
Thank you, Zane! I am truly touched by your warm words. And I'm glad you are here, as well! :)

Michael

P.S. Tud-raider?... :D