PDA

View Full Version : An authentic, vintage way to display our Indy Gear

The Last Crusader
10-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Hi Guys and Gals!

There has been some interest around here recently regarding different ways to display our Indy gear and some members are creating their own unique display racks.

I like the idea of displaying the fedora, jacket, whip, belt and bag as you might see in Doctor Jones' actual home. Here's a pic of his gear closet from Crystal Skull:

http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv94/tundrarider/holsters002.jpg

Here's how I display mine; the framed mirror was my Grandmother's. The idea is there, but I want something more substantial.

http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv94/tundrarider/009-5.jpg

Anyway, I'm always on the lookout for an antique "Hall Tree" that looks like something from Indy's house. I've found some, but the prices are always through the roof. If the piece were "just right," I'd find a way to justify the expense, but haven't found the "perfect one" yet! :P

So, I thought I'd share this "Homestead Hall Tree" which I found in a "Plow and Hearth" catalog. This one is very affordable at $450.00 and looks to be of good quality. All "hardwood solids and veneers".

http://www.plowhearth.com/plow_assets/images/shop/catalog/34935e.jpg

Try to ignore the "Mary Engelbreit style" bags in the photo and instead, imagine Indy's gear hanging there; perhaps with his Rucksack perched on top of the chest.

Here's a link to the site for more information. I may actually go for this... :)

http://www.plowhearth.com/product.asp?pcode=11670

Michael

jasonalun
10-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Thanks for posting this, Crusader! This is a great, economical idea. If I had a place in my cramped house for it, I'd definitely be going for it. ;D I like what you've done with your gear, too.

The Last Crusader
10-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Glad you like it, Dr. Jones! It's actually smaller that I originally thought by looking at the pic.

40W" x 19"D x 64"H

I had measured the spot in my house for the 40" wide, but didn't pay attention to the height. At 64" tall, it is shorter than I had imagined. And the 40" wide is probably at the widest point, like the base.

Still think it looks great though!

Michael

crismans
10-03-2010, 03:41 AM
That's a great idea, LC. Something like that would be perfect. Now, if I can just do some maneuvering in my man cave to get a piece like this in.

djd
10-03-2010, 10:51 AM
Very nice idea! Sadly my man cave is just about full :rolleyes:

faststreetsofhongkong
10-03-2010, 12:51 PM
I had an Indy closet before, and I think that is a great way to store your stuff (as most of it is out if direct sunlight most of the time):

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu359/sparksr_2009/IMG_0759.jpg

However, Tony once told me that hanging a jacket will slowly stretch it, so he helped me to design this case:

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu359/sparksr_2009/IMG_0592-1.jpg

I Love both ways actually ... the most important thing is that you enjoy your Indy items.

crismans
10-03-2010, 04:43 PM
I wonder if some type of antique (or antique-looking) warddrobe would fit the bill?

The Last Crusader
10-03-2010, 07:25 PM
However, Tony once told me that hanging a jacket will slowly stretch it...
Good to know; I hope he was right, as my jacket could use some more stretching! :D

I wonder if some type of antique (or antique-looking) warddrobe would fit the bill?
Certainly an antique wardrobe would be a cool way to house the gear. The more vintage, (and masculine) the better. But storing my gear in a closet or wardrobe would defeat the purpose for me; I want my gear out, displayed Indy fashion, so it can been seen, handled and enjoyed by all.

Thanks for all the great replies and ideas!

Michael

faststreetsofhongkong
10-03-2010, 07:43 PM
My Indy closet was in my home office area, and would simply open the doors when I was in there. It is also a good way to stop guests from just handling your Indy items without your permission when you have to go out for ice (or whatever).

Frankly, I think that it is just about enjoying your pieces. I think it was Canyon's post, I saw a home set up recently here somewhere ... It was pretty incredible!

The Last Crusader
10-03-2010, 08:35 PM
My Indy closet was in my home office area, and would simply open the doors when I was in there. It is also a good way to stop guests from just handling your Indy items without your permission when you have to go out for ice (or whatever).
I totally understand your point! I only wish that my guests would handle my Indy items!!! This stuff is so incredibly cool to me, I am always mystified when guests walk right past my gear without noticing or uttering a word. Even after I point it out, often it gets little appreciation. So, for me, a little "handling" would not be a problem!!! :P I realize that to most folks, "Indiana Jones" is just a character they may have seen in a movie or two a long time ago. But even so, the gear in itself is so vintage and unique...you would think it would just cry out to be " oohed and ahhhed" over!!!

Frankly, I think that it is just about enjoying your pieces.
You are so right, and I tip my hat to you! :)

Michael

Gunslinger
10-04-2010, 02:20 AM
No-one I know really seems to notice or care about the gear much. Even when I convey with enthusiasm why item X is very cool! It was almost shocking last week when I ran into someone who flipped out at my jacket and Mk7 bag and they actually got awe-struck / excited about seeing them in the flesh. Good to know there are OTHER nuts out there at least! :D

RCSignals
10-07-2010, 03:04 AM
Michael. I liked your mirror, but I like the Hall tree too. I'm relieved those are not your new Indy bags :laugh:

The Last Crusader
10-07-2010, 03:45 AM
Michael. I liked your mirror, but I like the Hall tree too. I'm relieved those are not your new Indy bags :laugh:
:D What? I know they're not SA, but they're close enough!!! :D How 'bout my new zip-up Indy boots on the floor there?!?!? :P

Michael