PDA

View Full Version : Quick Reply from Vic Armstrong

The Character
09-16-2010, 05:45 PM
I left a message on Vic Armstrong's website forum/discussion area and he kindly got back with the below:

Hi Vic,

Great fan of your work and particularly on the Indiana Jones movies … I was wondering if you ever do any of the conventions or signing sessions such as London Comic Con etc? These are very popular and i’m sure some of your recollections and anecdotes would go down a storm.

On a different yet tricky subject as there is some debate over this do you happen to have answers to the following:

1/ How many leather jackets were used in the making of the Raiders of the lost Ark film?…

2/ Was the jacket used for the ‘truck drag’ sequence in anyway different from the others?.. tougher or a different material?

3/ Were any of those reused in Temple of Doom? There is a story that Harrison Ford hated his Temple of Doom jackets so much he nicked one you’d kept from Raiders to do most of the scenes in Temple?

I know weird questions but there is a whole mass of Indiana jones fans out there who would love to know the answers to this plus … we might as well ask someone who was actually there and wearing them.

Anyway I hope your filming career is still belting along at its usual breakneck pace and i’d love to see an interview with you on your site sometime with fan submitted questions?

Best regards

Al

Vic Says:
August 19th, 2010 at 11:17 pm
Hi Al, thanks for the questions and will try and answer a few of them.

I would do signings and I have been asked a lot of times but i never seem to get the time off, I did one in Germany and it was great fun meeting and chatting with all you action fans.

We had loads of jackets for the movies as the action sequences tend to tear them up a bit as far as different style between movies I honestly do not know and cannot remember any changes.

The Jacket Terry used under the truck was a regular one and he had the ground dug instead of reinforcing the jacket which would have looked wrong.

I do know the hats changed from Indy 2 to Indy 3 the originals were made by Herbert Johnson in Bond St and the Indy 3 hats were made by Stetson.
Hope this helps and we may meet at a book signing yet as I have a book coming out next year.

There ya have it! .... all the same.

link below

http://www.vicarmstrong.com/2007/07/28/indiana-jones-3/

RCSignals
09-16-2010, 06:04 PM
Thank you for that.

Interesting read that doesn't really advance us much. I think Terry Leonard had to be using a jacket that was slightly different, it appears quite different, (more ike the Bantu wind and has even been suggested it was one of the infamous cowhide Wilsons jackets) but maybe at the time it's differences weren't noticed by everyone, and Vic was not aware of it.
I think he has the hat info off by one sequence of movie.

jasonalun
09-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Whoa! I wonder if Vic got his numbers mixed up there. We know Stetson made fedoras for Indy "2" (Temple of Doom), but there was never any question that Herbert Johnson made the fedoras for Indy "3" - The Last Crusade. You can even see the burgundy HJ logo on the hat liner twice in the movie.

Hollywood
09-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the inquiry I enjoyed reading it. As I stated earlier peoples memories fade or change with time. Interesting though.

Hollywood
09-16-2010, 08:22 PM
Thank you for that.

Interesting read that doesn't really advance us much. I think Terry Leonard had to be using a jacket that was slightly different, it appears quite different, (more ike the Bantu wind and has even been suggested it was one of the infamous cowhide Wilsons jackets) but maybe at the time it's differences weren't noticed by everyone, and Vic was not aware of it.

Interesting. Both DB and Western have confirmed that the Wilsons jackets were never used in the film. Of interesting note. One of the Wilson's jackets was on display at Planet Hollwood Las Vegas. It was labled by the plaque as coming from Paramount Studios, and was worn in Raiders. the jacket evern had the elastic cuffs. Unreal.

RCSignals
09-16-2010, 09:02 PM
Thank you for that.

Interesting. Both DB and Western have confirmed that the Wilsons jackets were never used in the film. Of interesting note. One of the Wilson's jackets was on display at Planet Hollwood Las Vegas. It was labled by the plaque as coming from Paramount Studios, and was worn in Raiders. the jacket evern had the elastic cuffs. Unreal.

Yes Nadoolman has indicated in Interviews that the Wilsons were left here. I think the story of a Wilson's being used in the truck drag stunt were made up to explain the differences seen in the jacket from the screen and production stills. It was also intimated that the jacket used for the stunt was cowhide, now with the revelation of the jacket made by Neil Cooper having been thick cowhide I wonder if that wasn't the jacket used in the truck drag stunt. Just an assumption. Although there does also seem to be indication of shared details of that truck drag stunt jacket with the "Bantu Wind" jacket, as already discussed.

That is interesting about the Wilson's jacket at Planet Hollywood having elastic cuffs. Didn't Nadoolman indicate it was based on an A-2 with knits removed?

Hollywood
09-16-2010, 09:20 PM
I believe she did say that, but this one had them. So who knows.

Kt Templar
09-16-2010, 09:28 PM
One thing it does confirm: The guys who wore the stuff are likely not to remember what it looked or felt like. It was a LONG time ago. Very easy for stuff to get muddled together. He did remember Stetson were involved and that HJ were involved, that is pretty impressive in itself. I bet Ford couldn't tell you who made his hats for CS if he didn't have one to hand!

Hollywood
09-16-2010, 10:26 PM
One thing it does confirm: The guys who wore the stuff are likely not to remember what it looked or felt like. It was a LONG time ago. Very easy for stuff to get muddled together. He did remember Stetson were involved and that HJ were involved, that is pretty impressive in itself. I bet Ford couldn't tell you who made his hats for CS if he didn't have one to hand!

They never do. It was just another movie to them.