PDA

View Full Version : Surrogate jacket options

crismans
01-03-2016, 06:29 PM
I've been wanting a Surrogates jacket for a long time now. I always meant to get one from Tony before his passing. I bought one of the filmjackets versions and, while I really liked the jacket, I could never get used to the leather (a very shiny buffalo). Now, I'm wondering what options I have for getting one of these. I love the one that Gunslinger got from Johnson Leathers, but I recently had them quote me on another style (similar) and it was over a grand. Might very well be worth it, but I don't want to drop that much on a jacket right now.

Any other recommendations?

neutronbomb
01-04-2016, 01:57 AM
That's a tough one. I would say your best and possibly only option would be to sell the film jackets and put the money towards a Johnson leathers. It might take a while to save, but other than getting one of Tony's, that may be the only way to get a good one. You could hit up hatch(?name), the photos of his Nowak I used to post on filmjackets, and see if he'd be willing to sell or if not possibly send to Johnson leathers to copy. I think he may even be your size.

Gunslinger
01-04-2016, 10:10 AM
Hey Crisman, it's possible Johnson have jacked the price of their customs up, but it's worth hitting them up. I think mine cost $690 or so, and that included a cloth mockup. Alan said he was basing mine off one of his standard patterns. (Can't remember the name sorry, but it's s biker one) So it's possible although the other quote was similar, it may have necessitated more drastic changes or be based on a different pattern that's trickier or something. Also the hide choice will come into play, but I don't need to tell you that.

I truly love my Surrogates from them, and their lightweight horsehide is just about my favourite leather ever.

crismans
01-04-2016, 08:56 PM
I'll probably contact Johnson on making me a Surrogates jacket. I thought your jacket was around $700 and that was the ballpark I expected the last quote to be. But it came in around $1,100, and I balked at that much. But there's nothing to be lost by asking them about a Surrogates.

TheExit148
01-08-2016, 11:47 AM
Bill Kelso jackets offer the jacket as well. They have a TN Surrogates copy and an original Californian vintage jacket copy. A whole bunch of different leather options to choose as well.

crismans
01-09-2016, 02:44 PM
I'd remembered that BK was supposed to make a copy, but I couldn't find it on their website. I found a couple of California replicas but the not the Surrogates' copy. Maybe I'm just not looking close enough?

neutronbomb
01-09-2016, 04:29 PM
If it were me, I'd try that. I hadn't heard they made a surrogates.

TheExit148
01-11-2016, 11:46 AM
They don't have it posted on their site for some reason, but they've posted them on their facebook page a bunch of times. I'd email them and inquire. They have a lot of nice vintage inspired linings as well, some may even be new old stock I think.