PDA

View Full Version : Multiple jacket conundrum

Ashy1
08-08-2014, 11:46 AM
After deciding I wanted an Indy jacket just over 15 months ago, i've ended up with 6 Westeds, a Bill Kelso and anxiously waiting for a Steele & Jones.

2 are 40's and ideal for winter as slightly too big, so not needed for a while, but the others are all great for different reasons (types of leather - shrunken lamb, crispe lamb, goat etc).

Justified new purchases by intending to sell on previous jackets, but then became sentimentally attached to them (first one, present etc).

Can't show photos as away from a computer for few weeks (this via a PS3).

Wondered how others deal with their jacket collection - on rotation order, or newest most often ?

HENRY JONES JR.
08-08-2014, 05:20 PM
After deciding I wanted an Indy jacket just over 15 months ago, i've ended up with 6 Westeds, a Bill Kelso and anxiously waiting for a Steele & Jones.

2 are 40's and ideal for winter as slightly too big, so not needed for a while, but the others are all great for different reasons (types of leather - shrunken lamb, crispe lamb, goat etc).

Justified new purchases by intending to sell on previous jackets, but then became sentimentally attached to them (first one, present etc).

Can't show photos as away from a computer for few weeks (this via a PS3).

Wondered how others deal with their jacket collection - on rotation order, or newest most often ?

My problem is huge, and unique, as I collect jackets and blazers. I have tons of WWII flight jackets, replicas, lucasfilm / skywalker ranch jackets, vintage armani blazers, cast and crew jackets, cold weather down jackets, College football letterman jackets, etc.. My closets are so cluttered with them, that the weight collasped one section that needs to be repaired now, and it's laying on the closet floor as a result. I bought extra clothes racks from Target that are with wheels to move around the room, and two have leaned, and broken due to the weight. I have many in my storage unit. I'm like a hoarder (although they are neatly placed in closets and boxes laying flat, and not like junk depicted on the TV series Hoarders where you have no living space. I just collect jackets. It's one of my hobbies. I have two Indy jackets, and just can't part with anything. It's a growing problem. My family keeps telling to sell my stuff, but it's hard for me to part with them, as everything is unique, which is why I bought them in the first place.

My problem is huge. Keep what you have. I'm happy with my stuff, it's just that nobody else in my family is happy with my stuff.

If I'm in a store, in a thrift store, on ebay and I'm caught viewing it, or looking at a jacket, I'm told sternly, "YOU DON'T NEED ANY MORE JACKETS!" They are correct, of course, but I just get a rush out of owning rare or unique jackets, as it sets me appart. It's my "thing."

I've been good lately, but only because of money problems due to surgery, and not much money coming in, but alot going out. I do my best to not look at things to buy, as I need the money for important things. The last "major" purchase I made was the rare HERBERT JOHNSON Grey Clipper fedora. I didn't have the money for it, but I just did it anyway, as I absolutely could not miss the opportunity.

I say keep your jackets. Each has meaning, and is a bit different, and can be worn for different reasons.

Ashy1
08-09-2014, 12:13 PM
Wow HJJ, that's an amazing collection. Thanks for the validation on jackets.
Kudos on the Clipper fedora, as you say, that's a 'must have'.

crismans
08-09-2014, 02:43 PM
I was the same way. I had wanted an Indy jacket for years so, when I began to do research and realized they were out there, I went nuts. I bought all sorts of jackets and then sold the ones that didn't "flip the switch" in order to purchase others. Slowly, I've gotten jackets that do it for me and have cleared out those that don't.

But it's an ongoing process (it's almost like I'm in jackets anonymous). I've said several times that I wished I could be one of those people that get one jacket, one pistol, what have you, and have them grow into old friends. But, I'm afraid I'm one of those who's never satisfied. There always seems to be another jacket, another something, out there.

HENRY JONES JR.
08-09-2014, 04:23 PM
Wow HJJ, that's an amazing collection. Thanks for the validation on jackets.
Kudos on the Clipper fedora, as you say, that's a 'must have'.

I just had to have it. Could really have used that money to pay bills, as EDD hasn't paid me much disability yet, but....this was too rare to pass up. I'd kick myself if I hadn't done it, wondering what could have been.

I was the same way. I had wanted an Indy jacket for years so, when I began to do research and realized they were out there, I went nuts. I bought all sorts of jackets and then sold the ones that didn't "flip the switch" in order to purchase others. Slowly, I've gotten jackets that do it for me and have cleared out those that don't.

But it's an ongoing process (it's almost like I'm in jackets anonymous). I've said several times that I wished I could be one of those people that get one jacket, one pistol, what have you, and have them grow into old friends. But, I'm afraid I'm one of those who's never satisfied. There always seems to be another jacket, another something, out there.

I don't know of anyone who has a total number of jackets that comes close to me. I've heard of women who have tons of purses, or shoes, and can never get enough. I guess I'm that way with jackets. I've never sold one. I have given a few to goodwill, but never sold one. I might sell some of my WW II jackets, like my EASTMAN LEATHER A-2 jackets, or my vintage WW II genuine A-2, as they would bring in some nice money. I dunno.

Just like you, there is always another jacket out there. I admit, I can't quit. Two of my dining room chairs have about 9 jackets each draped on them for further space. I'm not joking.

Think I have a problem? :D

KidHuevos
08-09-2014, 09:16 PM
This is kinda off-topic, but still relevant: I can't criticize anyone here for their obsession- although I have a cotton Wested jacket, I don't have any other Indy jackets... but I understand the drive that tells us, "It can't hurt to have ANOTHER, can it? Of COURSE NOT! What the hell are you going to do with all that money anyway?"

In my case, it was the Blade Runner gun. Way back in 1989 I bought a replica for $125 and adored it for years. After studying the laserdisc, I realized how inaccurate my copy was, and hungered for another one. Then in 2005 or 2006 (don't remember which) I found a used but better replica on EBay going for about $200 with several bids on it.

Ruthlessly I jacked the price up to $300 (I wasn't going to lose that auction, no matter what) and drove away my competitors. 24 hours later I won the auction and had a slightly battered Blade Runner gun in my possession.

Yet, it still wasn't enough. Around 2010 I found a third version going for $275 that was even MORE accurate and better designed (for those unfamiliar with the specs, the gun had 4 LED lights on the bottom that my second gun needed a toothpick inserted into a tiny crevice to activate. The third gun had a handy switch on the side.)
so I plunked down my cash and waited breathlessly by my mailbox for the next ten days.

I thought I was done, but I see there are all-metal versions with more functional LEDs and light-up barrels to simulate gunfire... but these are rare and also run into the 4-digit figures, costwise. I have to be satisfied with the three I own... for now.

FYI, this is a pic of version #2:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/Glurrk/BRnewguncomp.jpg

HENRY JONES JR.
08-10-2014, 02:35 AM
This is kinda off-topic, but still relevant: I can't criticize anyone here for their obsession- although I have a cotton Wested jacket, I don't have any other Indy jackets... but I understand the drive that tells us, "It can't hurt to have ANOTHER, can it? Of COURSE NOT! What the hell are you going to do with all that money anyway?"

In my case, it was the Blade Runner gun. Way back in 1989 I bought a replica for $125 and adored it for years. After studying the laserdisc, I realized how inaccurate my copy was, and hungered for another one. Then in 2005 or 2006 (don't remember which) I found a used but better replica on EBay going for about $200 with several bids on it.

Ruthlessly I jacked the price up to $300 (I wasn't going to lose that auction, no matter what) and drove away my competitors. 24 hours later I won the auction and had a slightly battered Blade Runner gun in my possession.

Yet, it still wasn't enough. Around 2010 I found a third version going for $275 that was even MORE accurate and better designed (for those unfamiliar with the specs, the gun had 4 LED lights on the bottom that my second gun needed a toothpick inserted into a tiny crevice to activate. The third gun had a handy switch on the side.)
so I plunked down my cash and waited breathlessly by my mailbox for the next ten days.

I thought I was done, but I see there are all-metal versions with more functional LEDs and light-up barrels to simulate gunfire... but these are rare and also run into the 4-digit figures, costwise. I have to be satisfied with the three I own... for now.

FYI, this is a pic of version #2:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/Glurrk/BRnewguncomp.jpg

I'm one of the few who still haven't seen Blade Runner. I will, but I just haven't yet. Looking forward to it.

That is a bad ass gun! Sounds like a cool collection! I can certainly see why you wanted it. It's beatiful, and awesome!

JeffDJ
08-10-2014, 05:04 PM
I've always loved the Blade Runner gun and can definitely understand your obsession with it, KidHuevos! Over the years I've Googled "Blade Runner gun prop" in semi-serious searches for the rare (and rarely-done-well) replica of that gun, but could never justify forking over the cash for one. It is a beautiful piece though.

Another one I like, which also includes LEDs, is Kiera's sidearm from the series Continuum:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/Worf2DS9/keiragun_zps25dbe9ae.jpg

It's definitely a cool piece, especially on the occasions when it sprouts the CG targeting feature.

But back on topic, I've never felt the urge to get multiple jackets once I finally got my Wested LC. Well, actually that's not true. The first one I got, I felt it was a little too short on the body (not their fault, they followed my custom specs). It was fine as far as leather jackets go, but not for me. A week later I decided to order an identical one, just 2 inches shorter, and that's the one I've worn to this day. That first one is still in my closet; I've wanted to try selling it, but haven't gotten around to it. I love the second one though, so I have no interest in getting another.

Although, when Diego showed us that gorgeous "Raiders II" jacket he's going to make... :D

HENRY JONES JR.
08-10-2014, 05:09 PM
I love the second one though, so I have no interest in getting another.

Although, when Diego showed us that gorgeous "Raiders II" jacket he's going to make... :D

I know, tell me about it!:)

KidHuevos
08-10-2014, 11:28 PM
I've always loved the Blade Runner gun and can definitely understand your obsession with it, KidHuevos! Over the years I've Googled "Blade Runner gun prop" in semi-serious searches for the rare (and rarely-done-well) replica of that gun, but could never justify forking over the cash for one. It is a beautiful piece though.

Looks like I need to start a Blade Runner Props thread! ;)

Ashy1
08-11-2014, 04:37 PM
Thanks guys. Great to see people with their own collections.
Quick illustration of how my jacket obsession has developed is yesterday I wore my new Kelso. Walking on cloudy, slightly chilly day turned into being thoroughly drenched in a torrential thunderstorm.
Returning home, soaked through, I hung up my forlorn looking and saturated Kelso. I caught myself thinking 'well that's ruined, I'll have to get another'.
I was serious and if I had the money I would have ordered straight away. Thankfully came to senses and didn't (but that's coz think Diego's new offering has tempted me).

HENRY JONES JR.
08-11-2014, 06:09 PM
Thanks guys. Great to see people with their own collections.
Quick illustration of how my jacket obsession has developed is yesterday I wore my new Kelso. Walking on cloudy, slightly chilly day turned into being thoroughly drenched in a torrential thunderstorm.
Returning home, soaked through, I hung up my forlorn looking and saturated Kelso. I caught myself thinking 'well that's ruined, I'll have to get another'.
I was serious and if I had the money I would have ordered straight away. Thankfully came to senses and didn't (but that's coz think Diego's new offering has tempted me).

Hopefully, it should dry out just fine, and be fine to wear. I'm guessing once it's air dried, it'll be like new again.

crismans
08-11-2014, 07:51 PM
No reason to get rid of it! It should be fine when it dries. Actually, it should be better than it was because the rain will pop out some more of the grain and start the process to having that distressed, lived-in look that Indy's jacket had. You might need to apply some leather conditioner to it if the leather stiffens some, but I bet you'll be pleased with the character it's developed when it dries out. If you get the chance, wear it when it's still wet/damp and it'll mold to your body and develop some awesome wrinkles and creases.

Weston
08-12-2014, 06:36 AM
No reason to get rid of it! It should be fine when it dries. Actually, it should be better than it was because the rain will pop out some more of the grain and start the process to having that distressed, lived-in look that Indy's jacket had. You might need to apply some leather conditioner to it if the leather stiffens some, but I bet you'll be pleased with the character it's developed when it dries out. If you get the chance, wear it when it's still wet/damp and it'll mold to your body and develop some awesome wrinkles and creases.

Yeah, I agree 100%! A lot of us have deliberately put our jackets through the water treatment for exactly the reasons Crismans mentioned. It's worth noting that every Indy jacket seen on screen gets soaked at some point.

As to the multiple jacket problem at the top of the thread, if the idea of having a lot of leather jackets bugs you, try to drill down on what it is that you really love about the jackets you already have. For what it's worth, after accumulating a number of jackets I found that the first one I ever bought way back in the 90's was my favorite. Since then, I've whittled my collection from 12 or so down to 4.

That said, there is always another temptation brewing, and I'm sure I'll be adding to my modest collection again.

Ashy1
08-12-2014, 07:27 AM
Cheers guys. Thanks for the reassurance.
Checked it last night and seems to be drying ok - bit rubbery but looking very creased & wrinkled.

neutronbomb
03-31-2015, 05:17 PM
How about a photo to see how it looks now ???

Ashy1
04-01-2015, 08:05 PM
I'm sorry but I don't have the facility to post photos.

I use the ps3 to access the forum.