PDA

View Full Version : Whip holders & slippage

JeffDJ
08-18-2013, 03:03 PM
So, I brought this up up in Indiana Bugs's thread about his "idol grab/boulder reenactment" and I wondered what everyone else used to keep their whips from slipping when attached at your hip. Do you use a standard whip holder with some clever modifications, or perhaps one of the other holders out there that have a different design that guarantee a no-slip whip, such as those from Joe Strain, Wade Egan or Benjamin Scott?

I have my own slippage issues, so was just curious what everyone else does to get around the problem. :)

djd
08-18-2013, 03:09 PM
The best ones are the type with enough leather to loop twice around the whip. Wade certainly used to make them like that. Of course, in the films there's often fishing wire holding them in place!

IfAdventureHasAName
08-18-2013, 04:13 PM
I own several of Wade Egan's non-slip double wrap whip holders with no problems of slippage whatsoever.

Survived a day of walking through a crowded convention center at San Diego Comic Con with no worries or concerns. :whip:

But, due to the uncertainty of the production of his products now, I would look into Joe Strain's product or "Make it Jones" products both who offer similar designed non-slip double wrap whip holders.

Monkey Brains
08-18-2013, 09:48 PM
Hey guys, thanks for sharing your knowledge! I've been collecting Indy gear for a few years now and have always found F&G very helpful. I own one of Joe Strains whip holders and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. It loops around the whip twice and holds it nice and tight, no slippage at all. Can't really go wrong with any of Joe's stuff in my experience!

JeffDJ
08-19-2013, 12:41 AM
That's the one I was thinking about getting and the price is very reasonable.

KidHuevos
08-19-2013, 11:23 PM
The whip holder I swear by is from Todd's Costumes:
http://www.toddscostumes.com/costumes/movie-costumes-indiana-jones-costume/indiana-jones-bags-belts-holsters-ect/indiana-jones-whip-holder/

His whip holder is adjustable with Velcro; you can tighten it as much as you need.

JeffDJ
08-20-2013, 12:17 PM
^ From the pictures, it's hard to tell how it actually works, despite the explanation in the description. It doesn't look like that whip is that secure.

KidHuevos
08-21-2013, 12:19 AM
^ From the pictures, it's hard to tell how it actually works, despite the explanation in the description. It doesn't look like that whip is that secure.

Let me shed some more light on this; assuming the product hasn't been changed since I bought mine:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/Glurrk/Part%20II/ToddsWhipHolder_zps6281b80b.jpg

You can see how the Velcro section can be adjusted according to your need. When I first got mine, I pretty much ran all over the house, jumping, spinning and kicking, trying to dislodge it- I failed.

JeffDJ
08-22-2013, 01:40 AM
That's quite an endorsement! And thanks for that photo. It gives a better idea how it works. :)

makeitjones
10-18-2013, 09:25 AM
Press studs (pop studs, snap studs) can take a lot of pull or weight in a downwards direction, but it’s ‘outward pull’ that will pop it open. The studs on whip holders are strong but they have their limits – they can hold up well to moving about in some directions but not so well in others (upwards push or outwards pull).

I think there are two main factors at play – the leather and the fit.

Supple leather will absorb movement in the whip before it gets to the press stud, whereas stiffer leather will act like a lever against it.

A looser screen accurate fit on a whip holder is less likely to outward pop but you can get the slippage – here the amount of friction between the inner surface of the whip holder and the whip thong comes into play. Shiny shellacked whip and low grip inner surface on the holder just won’t grip very well. Roughening the inner surface with some fine or medium grade sandpaper then giving it a coat of light moisturiser can help improve grip.

A tighter fit on the holder helps stop slippage but I think it can make it more susceptible to suddenly popping open as you’ve always got a bit of outwards pull on the press stud – but then it depends on the leather. If your holder is stiff then flex it between the fingers until it loosens up.

If you can stand sacrificing a bit of screen accuracy there’s three options:

Double wrap is definitely a good solution to slippage as the weight of the whip pulls the second loop of the holder down and you have twice the surface area for grip.

Double wrap with double snap (two press studs) gives you maximum grip and hold – it’s not going anywhere until you want it to but you’ll have to pop the studs with your opposite hand if you need the whip out in a hurry.

Tight fit double snap is a regular style whip holder but with two press studs – sized smaller than usual but any outward pull is counteracted by the extra stud.

I've made over 500 whip holders so have had the opportunity to figure this out both in theory and practice.