PDA

View Full Version : My new Downtowner from Todd's

JeffDJ
06-13-2013, 11:57 PM
Okay, at long last, here are the pix of my new fedora from Todd's!

First up, here's my cat helping out to open the very nice hat box:
http://imageshack.us/a/img692/3362/img0548of.jpg

Next, a couple of shots of the hat in natural daylight (not direct sunlight - got home too late yesterday for that!):
http://imageshack.us/a/img14/4298/img0553ug.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img837/3392/img0554uo.jpg

And here's me, the man with the hat:
http://imageshack.us/a/img40/3532/img0560o.jpg

My history of Indy hats!
http://imageshack.us/a/img690/738/img0567gr.jpg

Far left is the one I got circa Temple of Doom, company name on the inside is Westerner. Middle hat is by Biltmore and the colour of that was called "Harrison Brown" (but became quite faded). And the new Coyles on the right, in shadow there however, hence the darkness.

And finally, this is one I took today in direct sunlight. Love the colour!
http://imageshack.us/a/img841/1333/img0568il.jpg

Overall, I'm very happy with the hat and the felt is very soft. As I mentioned in HJJ's thread, the turn of the brim at the back was already there when I took it out of the box, but I discovered today that I can easily "turn" the brim up or down without any problem.

It's quite amazing how different lighting conditions change the colour of the hat, compared to its darker, out-of-the-box colour. I used to be convinced that the hat Indy wore in once scene versus another scene couldn't possibly be the same hat because of the apparently drastic colour change of the felt (such as inside the plane cockpit vs. Indian village in TOD, or Venice pier vs. scene at crossroads on motorbike in LC), but now I can see with my own eyes how the colour of one hat can look so different! :D

HENRY JONES JR.
06-14-2013, 03:52 AM
GREAT PHOTOS!! You look awesome in your hat pal, as I knew it would. Yep, in the sun, (especially in morning, or before noon) it looks lighter, like in my avatar.
I'm happy you got a pinch in yours when it was delivered, as I didn't have it. It was completely void of one when I got mine.
Yeah, the felt isn't really stiff at all, is it? It's pretty soft, and does jump back into shape. Of all the fedoras that you own, this one looks closest to it. The higth of the crown looks correct. It looks and feels like quality felt.

THANK YOU for taking the time to take, and post your photos!

CHEERS JeffDJ!!

Your pal,

HENRY JONES JR.

djd
06-14-2013, 08:34 AM
Jeff I think that looks great. Good bash! Looks good on you. I was quite impressed with my old Uptowner from Todd. A bit stiff but side by side with theHenry I also had at the time it wasn't easy to tell them apart.

neutronbomb
06-14-2013, 01:28 PM
Sometimes the vibration of shipping causes the bashing etc to shake out. This happened to me with the AB Deluxe. Since then I've asked the vendor to hit it a bit with some stiffener after they bash it and work the hat. I'd be willing to bet that Your hat was originally bashed.

Ram Man
06-14-2013, 07:17 PM
If I'm not mistaking I do believe that this particular batch of hats were supposed to be from Todd's "Raider" line. According to his blog they were not to his satisfaction so he reblocked each hat himself and sold it as the Downtowner.

That being said it looks very good JeffDJ especially on your brain box. Sorta makes me want to get another.....for those tough winters here in Alberta.

HENRY JONES JR.
06-15-2013, 04:50 AM
Sometimes the vibration of shipping causes the bashing etc to shake out. This happened to me with the AB Deluxe. Since then I've asked the vendor to hit it a bit with some stiffener after they bash it and work the hat. I'd be willing to bet that Your hat was originally bashed.

I still haven't taken a picture of the fedora on my head, but I will. I looked in the mirror with it on just a minure ago, and thought, "ya know, this looks pretty good on me!"

The bash on my hat was there, but the pinch was not. It was well packaged, and with foam. If the pinch got pushed out during shipping (the box would have been crushed as good as it was packaged in it's box) it would have bounced right back, as everytime I sat on it, or crushed it, it just went right back into shape.

This is actually a pretty good hat, and is a great value. Todd's did a great job with this hat. I recommend this fedora.

neutronbomb
06-15-2013, 02:24 PM
I meant the vibration of the truck or plane, but just a theory for what happened to yours. On mine the vibration took out the pinch, brim work, and one side of the bash, and all the "memory".

JeffDJ
06-15-2013, 08:09 PM
I noticed that Todd has a video in the hat section of the website showing what to do if you get your hat and the pinch and/or dent on top has pushed out by the time it gets to you. Basically he says pinch the front as you would if you were going to put it on, then give it a nice karate chop on top, and voila. :)

In other news, I wore my hat as I went out and about today and couldn't help but sneak peeks at my reflection in windows or bus shelters as the sun was beaming down, and I must say the hat colour looks awesome in the outdoors (and really, the colour outside is where it really matters, right?). It was also quite breezy out, but I'm happy to report that the hat remained on my head and didn't budge one bit in any of the stronger gusts -- yet it wasn't so tight that it was cutting off blood circulation in my head. :D

HENRY JONES JR.
06-16-2013, 03:15 AM
I noticed that Todd has a video in the hat section of the website showing what to do if you get your hat and the pinch and/or dent on top has pushed out by the time it gets to you. Basically he says pinch the front as you would if you were going to put it on, then give it a nice karate chop on top, and voila. :)

In other news, I wore my hat as I went out and about today and couldn't help but sneak peeks at my reflection in windows or bus shelters as the sun was beaming down, and I must say the hat colour looks awesome in the outdoors (and really, the colour outside is where it really matters, right?). It was also quite breezy out, but I'm happy to report that the hat remained on my head and didn't budge one bit in any of the stronger gusts -- yet it wasn't so tight that it was cutting off blood circulation in my head. :D

Yeah, I've seen the video. But being my hat didn't have a pinch to begin with, there was nothing to bounce back, as it never had one. I had to make one by wetting it down.

I liked his video on how to put on the leather strap on an Indy bag. I followed the video instuctions with my magnoli bag and strap. Nice to have that video.

Hey Jeff, nothing wrong with checking out sneak peeks of how you look with a very nice Indy hat. (who amoung us can say they have never done the same? I do.) The color really, really looks great outdoors! Glad you like your fedora as much as I do!

I love my fedora!

JeffDJ
06-18-2013, 11:03 PM
I had mentioned back in HJJ's thread that I had also bought the hat stand from Todd's, so here's a pic I took a little while ago with the hat, you know, on the stand, showing the clearance it has.

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/9550/yh8n.jpg

HENRY JONES JR.
06-19-2013, 02:21 AM
I had mentioned back in HJJ's thread that I had also bought the hat stand from Todd's, so here's a pic I took a little while ago with the hat, you know, on the stand, showing the clearance it has.

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/9550/yh8n.jpg

I think you forgot to post the picture buddy! Then again, I've been having problems with my eyes lately.....could be me. ;D lol

HENRY JONES JR.
06-20-2013, 04:51 AM
Thanks for adding the picture, your Fedora looks AWESOME! The stand also works great for the hat.

You know something JeffDJ,.....our Todd's Fedoras look really, really good!

JeffDJ
06-20-2013, 10:58 PM
They do indeed, HJJ, they do indeed. :)

PS: The photo was always there -- perhaps for some reason it wasn't loading for you yesterday?

HENRY JONES JR.
06-21-2013, 05:14 AM
PS: The photo was always there -- perhaps for some reason it wasn't loading for you yesterday?

Hmmm...It never loaded for me. Even when I posted my message and added your post, it wasn't there. Oh well, obviously the problem was on my end.

Are we the only ones on this site who own these newest versions of the Downtowner Raiders fedoras? I just absolutely love mine.

JeffDJ
06-22-2013, 05:54 PM
Nobody else has chimed in yet; maybe they want to weigh the reviews before they give it a go. I like mine too! I had hoped to wear it today when I went out, but it was drizzly and I didn't want to get it wet. :(

JeffDJ
06-23-2013, 09:06 PM
New pix! These are a couple of side-view shots, with one giving a good look at the turn at the back that can be flipped up and down easily. And if I'm allowed to nitpick, I wish the brim was flatter on the sides and didn't wow upwards so much. Perhaps that's a combo of the thicker felt of the brim & the stiffener that's used to keep the shape. And I suppose the back of the brim turning up aids in that whole effect as well. Still... :D

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/3848/3z4q.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img850/5671/3yjv.jpg

HENRY JONES JR.
06-25-2013, 03:08 AM
New pix! These are a couple of side-view shots, with one giving a good look at the turn at the back that can be flipped up and down easily. And if I'm allowed to nitpick, I wish the brim was flatter on the sides and didn't wow upwards so much. Perhaps that's a combo of the thicker felt of the brim & the stiffener that's used to keep the shape. And I suppose the back of the brim turning up aids in that whole effect as well. Still... :D

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/3848/3z4q.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img850/5671/3yjv.jpg

Great pictures dude!! The sides of mine doesn't sweep up quite like yours, mine is much more subtle, but then again, I shaped my own. Have you tried shaping yours JeffDJ? I use a water sprayer, like the kind to mist plants. I spray just where I want, and shape it the way I want little by little.

Hey guys, these new Todd's fedoras are really awesome! I recommend getting one.

djd
06-25-2013, 05:46 AM
Still waiting to see it on your head....

HENRY JONES JR.
06-25-2013, 06:06 AM
Still waiting to see it on your head....

Geeze. I promise I will, I just haven't got to it yet...

JeffDJ
06-25-2013, 11:47 PM
Great pictures dude!! The sides of mine doesn't sweep up quite like yours, mine is much more subtle, but then again, I shaped my own. Have you tried shaping yours JeffDJ? I use a water sprayer, like the kind to mist plants. I spray just where I want, and shape it the way I want little by little.
I thought about giving that a try, actually. The sides don't actually curve like that until I put it on. At first I thought maybe the hat was a size too small after all, but I went over to the AB site and followed their 1"-above-your-eyebrows sizing guideline (Todd's doesn't actually have any similar guidelines on where to actually measure your head) and my 59cm was pretty much on the ball. 60cm would have been too big for sure, but maybe if Todd's had half-sizes, 59.5 would have been better. Ideally, I would've liked the brim to be just above my ears, though I can get it there if I jam it down on my head a bit more, though it's a bit too snug that way. Regardless, I like the fit as is so I won't gripe about that, and I can still make adjustments on how it's worn to get the best comfy fit.

So yeah, I'll give the shaping trick a try and see if I can flatten out the sides. Stay tuned, more pix will follow if all goes well! :D

HENRY JONES JR.
06-27-2013, 05:10 AM
I thought about giving that a try, actually. The sides don't actually curve like that until I put it on. At first I thought maybe the hat was a size too small after all, but I went over to the AB site and followed their 1"-above-your-eyebrows sizing guideline (Todd's doesn't actually have any similar guidelines on where to actually measure your head) and my 59cm was pretty much on the ball. 60cm would have been too big for sure, but maybe if Todd's had half-sizes, 59.5 would have been better. Ideally, I would've liked the brim to be just above my ears, though I can get it there if I jam it down on my head a bit more, though it's a bit too snug that way. Regardless, I like the fit as is so I won't gripe about that, and I can still make adjustments on how it's worn to get the best comfy fit.

So yeah, I'll give the shaping trick a try and see if I can flatten out the sides. Stay tuned, more pix will follow if all goes well! :D

More pictures? YEAH!!

One of my original complaints with this fedora was my size which seems fine with other fedoras, was a bit small for me out of the box. When I beat the hell out of it, I stretched the inner leather headband around my forehead to give it a more oval shape. I used my hat stretcher a little too. I pulled on it with my hand, and now it fits much better.

Looking forward to your next post JeffDJ!

JeffDJ
06-28-2013, 04:58 AM
My first attempt didn't work. I flattened the sides of the brim nicely, but it still curves up when I put it on. In fact, even if I'm holding it in my hand and apply a little outward pressure on the front & back of the headband, up goes the sides of the brim--essentially what happens when I put it on.

But then I thought if I could somehow maintain that pressure and *then* wet/flatten the sides, that would do the trick. In theory.

So with a little ingenuity and most of a cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels (serving as my makeshift block, as it were), that's what's setting now overnight.

JeffDJ
06-28-2013, 08:10 PM
Okay, some success!

Here's a before and after photo of the side of the brim:

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/4610/fvi3.jpg

As you can see it's a big improvement, though the brim still curves upward just a smidge. But at least it's not obscuring half of the ribbon like it was before. Also, the lines of the brim aren't quite as smooth as they were before my tampering, but perhaps that's something I can refine with further treatments.

HENRY JONES JR.
06-29-2013, 04:43 AM
Okay, some success!

Here's a before and after photo of the side of the brim:

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/4610/fvi3.jpg

As you can see it's a big improvement, though the brim still curves upward just a smidge. But at least it's not obscuring half of the ribbon like it was before. Also, the lines of the brim aren't quite as smooth as they were before my tampering, but perhaps that's something I can refine with further treatments.

Looks much better! Don't worry about the the brim not being as smooth as it was before. Do it in increments. That's what I did. Do a little here, do a little there. I just wetted the brim a little bit, and run my fingers around the brim to smooth it out, and let it dry overnight. Little tweaks will get you the desired results faster than trying to do it all at one time.

Nice job buddy!

Keep showing your improvements as you do them!

Indiana Bugs
06-30-2013, 04:47 PM
I think the reason for this is that you're putting a regular oval hat on a long oval head, causing brim distortion. The brim will most likely go back to the way it was as you wear it.

JeffDJ
07-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Here's a quick snap I took off my iPod Touch showing how nice the brim looks now -- a lot smoother and pretty much no curving up on the sides. Yay!

http://imageshack.us/a/img843/1299/hlv9.jpg

I do wish the "default colour" of the felt was the lighter colour that appears in this photo, rather than the dark brown it actually is, but I guess what's important is how it looks in the daylight. (Also, interesting how the brim has a bluish tinge here, compared to the shots I took from my actual camera a few posts up.)

HENRY JONES JR.
07-06-2013, 03:53 AM
Here's a quick snap I took off my iPod Touch showing how nice the brim looks now -- a lot smoother and pretty much no curving up on the sides. Yay!

http://imageshack.us/a/img843/1299/hlv9.jpg

I do wish the "default colour" of the felt was the lighter colour that appears in this photo, rather than the dark brown it actually is, but I guess what's important is how it looks in the daylight. (Also, interesting how the brim has a bluish tinge here, compared to the shots I took from my actual camera a few posts up.)

Your Fedora looks AWESOME! Great job! It looks even better now. Your tinkering has paid off!

As for the color of the fedora, don't worry, when it's outside, we both know what it looks like (look at my avatar). It's totally bad ass! Artificial light does make it look a bit different, and yes, the ribbon does have a bit of a bluish tinge in artificial light, but when it's in the sun, (when everyone sees it) it looks just sooo perfect! The ribbon almost looks black in the sunlight, or a very dark brown.

JeffDJ
07-12-2013, 08:08 PM
So I wore my fedora to work for the first time today and my boss complimented me with "I like the hat" seconds after I walked in. It did look pretty awesome in the sunshine, I must say. This was my cool look for today:

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/79/ef4i.jpg

djd
07-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Good picture! Suits you

HENRY JONES JR.
07-13-2013, 04:36 AM
So I wore my fedora to work for the first time today and my boss complimented me with "I like the hat" seconds after I walked in. It did look pretty awesome in the sunshine, I must say. This was my cool look for today:

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/79/ef4i.jpg

Wear it with pride my friend! I'll be wearing mine to work in the winter time (when it's over 100 degrees, it's just too hot for me). I wore my Todd's reciently to a redwood forest near the California coast. I also wore my satchel. I see your satchel in the background. Did you bring it to work, or was it just in the photo?

I still think we are the only two members here who own this particular fedora from Todd's (Yeah, yeah djd, I know I haven't posted a picture of it on me yet....;))

JeffDJ
07-13-2013, 06:17 AM
I see your satchel in the background. Did you bring it to work, or was it just in the photo?
Just in the photo. It's still undergoing its daily sunshine treatment. :D

JeffDJ
07-13-2013, 11:28 PM
Also, I see the ribbon looks quite light in that photo. If I'm brave enough, I might consider trying your mink oil darkening technique, HJJ. :D

HENRY JONES JR.
07-14-2013, 04:26 AM
Also, I see the ribbon looks quite light in that photo. If I'm brave enough, I might consider trying your mink oil darkening technique, HJJ. :D

This ribbon reacts differently to light depending on light source, and even time of day. My avatar picture was taken in the morning around 11 am or noon. It looks darker than your photo, but, it's still the exact same hat and ribbon as yours. I love my Todd's fedora!

Who made your satchel? Mine is the current Magnoli model.

JeffDJ
07-17-2013, 12:42 AM
^ Mine is from Todd's. It also came with their new strap that doesn't have the grooves; updated, I guess, after blu-ray scrutiny of Raiders indicated there weren't any grooves on the strap after all. :)

HENRY JONES JR.
07-17-2013, 04:14 AM
^ Mine is from Todd's. It also came with their new strap that doesn't have the grooves; updated, I guess, after blu-ray scrutiny of Raiders indicated there weren't any grooves on the strap after all. :)

My strap also doesn't have grooves. I'm not sure how the grooves thing got started in the first place. I only thought it had grooves because I was told it had it, and straps were made for fans with them. Archival photos I don't recall showing them either. I have absolutely no idea how the whole thing got started.

neutronbomb
07-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Once upon a time..in a strange and bizarre land far, far, away..a place where a troll with silly putty for a brain took charge..and a place where the leaders and authorties of that land sung this troll's praises and gazed upon him with loving, worshipful eyes...........many grandiose, delusional tales of utter bullshit were spun and forced upon the population...of which this was probably one.

HENRY JONES JR.
07-18-2013, 12:18 AM
Once upon a time..in a strange and bizarre land far, far, away..a place where a troll with silly putty for a brain took charge..and a place where the leaders and authorties of that land sung this troll's praises and gazed upon him with loving, worshipful eyes...........many grandiose, delusional tales of utter bullshit were spun and forced upon the population...of which this was probably one.

LOL. I thought perhaps one of the film poster artists drew it first, and somehow it just was accepted to be correct.

Kt Templar
07-18-2013, 06:55 AM
I think that VHS and possibly the DVD versions suffered from some edge enhancement that caused a double image on some hard edges giving the impression of a groove. And people convinced themselves that it was grooved.

neutronbomb
07-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Or that :)

HENRY JONES JR.
07-19-2013, 04:47 AM
I think that VHS and possibly the DVD versions suffered from some edge enhancement that caused a double image on some hard edges giving the impression of a groove. And people convinced themselves that it was grooved.

That's a good enough explanation for me!

JeffDJ
07-27-2013, 11:51 PM
This ribbon reacts differently to light depending on light source, and even time of day. My avatar picture was taken in the morning around 11 am or noon. It looks darker than your photo, but, it's still the exact same hat and ribbon as yours. I love my Todd's fedora!
I think you're right about even the time of day having an affect on the colour of the ribbon. Here's a pic I took this morning with my iPod while waiting for the bus, which would have been between 11:30 and noon:

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/5237/unwn.jpg

As you can see the ribbon actually looks like a dark brown instead of that bluish tinge in a lot of the photos, and is actually pretty close to the colours in your avatar photo, HJJ. And I've noticed before that the camera itself can change the colour too. I was lining up a shot of the hat with with my camera the other day and the colour showing in the camera's display screen was not at all what it looked like to the naked eye. Strange fun with hats! :D

In other hat news, a panhandler complimented me on my hat the other day ("Hey, nice hat!"). He may have been short on change, but not good taste! :)

HENRY JONES JR.
07-28-2013, 03:40 AM
I think you're right about even the time of day having an affect on the colour of the ribbon. Here's a pic I took this morning with my iPod while waiting for the bus, which would have been between 11:30 and noon:

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/5237/unwn.jpg

As you can see the ribbon actually looks like a dark brown instead of that bluish tinge in a lot of the photos, and is actually pretty close to the colours in your avatar photo, HJJ. And I've noticed before that the camera itself can change the colour too. I was lining up a shot of the hat with with my camera the other day and the colour showing in the camera's display screen was not at all what it looked like to the naked eye. Strange fun with hats! :D

In other hat news, a panhandler complimented me on my hat the other day ("Hey, nice hat!"). He may have been short on change, but not good taste! :)

Excellent post!

Great photo again! The level of the sun will most certainly make a difference on the color of the fedora and ribbon. Your hat in the photo does look like a film used hat!

Your correct, the begger did have good taste. Your fedora looks great. (I was hoping, and was glad that you posted another photo and post).

I look forward to the further adventures of your fedora! :whip:

JeffDJ
08-10-2013, 06:10 PM
New photo! Same location as the last time, but this time I dipped my head down a bit more so more of the brim was showing at the front. The hat still looks great!

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/8359/jy6b.jpg

Maybe next time I'll turn to the left (my left) so the sun will be on the whole of the front rather than just the side. :)

HENRY JONES JR.
08-11-2013, 03:08 AM
New photo! Same location as the last time, but this time I dipped my head down a bit more so more of the brim was showing at the front. The hat still looks great!

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/8359/jy6b.jpg

Maybe next time I'll turn to the left (my left) so the sun will be on the whole of the front rather than just the side. :)

Thanks for posting again! I never get tired of seeing the hat!!

It sure looks great in the sun, doesn't it?

Looking forward to your next photos!

cropdustdair
08-11-2013, 02:46 PM
Does anyone know how the current version of Todd's Downtowner compares to their old version of the Downtowner? I heard the old version was stiff f and not very easy to bash. Is the current version easier to bash? Thanks!

HENRY JONES JR.
08-12-2013, 01:50 AM
Does anyone know how the current version of Todd's Downtowner compares to their old version of the Downtowner? I heard the old version was stiff f and not very easy to bash. Is the current version easier to bash? Thanks!

I never had the old version, but the new version holds it's shape, and bounces back, but I had no problem bashing, or crushing mine. Also, spraying it with water while doing so helps to shape it. I have a feeling that with regular wear and handling, it will soften even more, but I wouldn't call this fedora stiff.

JEFFDJ, want to chime in with your thoughts?

cropdustdair
08-12-2013, 03:19 AM
Thank you for your info Henry Jones Jr.!

JeffDJ
08-12-2013, 04:24 AM
As noted early on in the thread, I was able to reshape the sides of the brim using water and it turned out rather well. I too would not call the hat "stiff", but it's not floppy either. Like the porridge in The Three Bears, it's juuuust right. :D

HENRY JONES JR.
08-13-2013, 01:32 AM
As noted early on in the thread, I was able to reshape the sides of the brim using water and it turned out rather well. I too would not call the hat "stiff", but it's not floppy either. Like the porridge in The Three Bears, it's juuuust right. :D

Ditto! LOL!

Thank you for your info Henry Jones Jr.!

My pleasure! :toast:

cropdustdair
08-14-2013, 04:50 AM
Hey JeffDJ and Henry Jones Jr., what do out think about this Downtowner in this thread?
http://www.fortuneandglory.org/forums/threads/2162-Todd-s-Downtowner-Sz-58-70
I was wondering if you guys think it's the version that Todd's currently offers or is it the old version?
If it's the new version, I really wouldn't mind having it, as it looks great. I heard that the old version was very stiff and not easy to bash. But this one looks really good and I love the color. However this one is already sold. I messaged the seller and he wasn't sure which version it was.
Any help on this one guys? Thanks in advance!

JeffDJ
08-14-2013, 11:01 PM
I'll hazard a guess and say that's the previous version of the Downtowner. I remember the old product photos on Todd's site showed the front of the brim with that severe downward dip, just as the hat in the photos has.

Of course, I could be wrong. :)

HENRY JONES JR.
08-15-2013, 01:29 AM
I'll hazard a guess and say that's the previous version of the Downtowner. I remember the old product photos on Todd's site showed the front of the brim with that severe downward dip, just as the hat in the photos has.

Of course, I could be wrong. :)

I'm not sure either, but I also think it's the older version. As far as we know, JeffDJ and I are the only ones on this site that has this new version. Perhaps you might want to buy the brand new verion too!

JeffDJ
08-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Got another compliment on my hat today as I was coming out of the grocery store! This time it was an elderly lady in her mid- to late-sixties. :)

And I couldn't take a new pic while I waited for the bus, since there were already a couple of people waiting there and I didn't want to be taking selfies with other people standing around, lol. :-[

HENRY JONES JR.
08-18-2013, 02:51 AM
Got another compliment on my hat today as I was coming out of the grocery store! This time it was an elderly lady in her mid- to late-sixties. :)

And I couldn't take a new pic while I waited for the bus, since there were already a couple of people waiting there and I didn't want to be taking selfies with other people standing around, lol. :-[

Yeah, that might be awkward standing there taking photos of your face while people are standing there watching you. :D Can't help but like our fedoras!

Hey JeffDJ and Henry Jones Jr., what do out think about this Downtowner in this thread?
http://www.fortuneandglory.org/forums/threads/2162-Todd-s-Downtowner-Sz-58-70
I was wondering if you guys think it's the version that Todd's currently offers or is it the old version?
If it's the new version, I really wouldn't mind having it, as it looks great. I heard that the old version was very stiff and not easy to bash. But this one looks really good and I love the color. However this one is already sold. I messaged the seller and he wasn't sure which version it was.
Any help on this one guys? Thanks in advance!

One thing I should mention, the felt is a much thicker felt than say a Herbert Johnson or a Christys felt. The Todd's is a heavier, and hotter hat to wear, which in the winter is ideal! The felt is a very nice quality.

JeffDJ
08-20-2013, 11:44 PM
All right, time for another episode of "Jeff and the Hat"! :D

So last week I wore my Indy pants to work, and when I got home I decided that before I changed out of them I'd put the rest of my gear on and take a bunch of pix. Why not, right? :D

This one was taken with my real camera, a nice shot also showcasing my Wested LC:
http://imageshack.us/a/img59/399/qwkj.jpg

A couple of iPod pix next. I like the colour of the hat here:
http://imageshack.us/a/img534/1607/6rek.jpg

And hamming it up a bit. Clearly I'm raising a torch and finding something truly disgusting & frightening hanging from the ceiling. :D
http://imageshack.us/a/img825/4533/81ib.jpg

HENRY JONES JR.
08-21-2013, 02:31 AM

So last week I wore my Indy pants to work, and when I got home I decided that before I changed out of them I'd put the rest of my gear on and take a bunch of pix. Why not, right? :D

This one was taken with my real camera, a nice shot also showcasing my Wested LC:
http://imageshack.us/a/img59/399/qwkj.jpg

A couple of iPod pix next. I like the colour of the hat here:
http://imageshack.us/a/img534/1607/6rek.jpg

And hamming it up a bit. Clearly I'm raising a torch and finding something truly disgusting & frightening hanging from the ceiling. :D

You look great buddy! I must admit, I love the last photo the best. :D

The color of the Fedora still looks good, even though it's inside, and not in the sunlight.

I see your Jacket is a wested, but who is the maker of the shirt? Todd's? Everything looks like Indy.

Great job with the photos!! I enjoyed them pal.

Keep 'em coming!

Indiana Bugs
08-23-2013, 05:08 PM
I love the shape of your hat. Accuracy is nice, but overall the shape and how an individual hat looks on an individual head is what is more important to me.

Mr. Furious
08-23-2013, 06:50 PM
And a guy who really comes thru as just enjoying his hat.....that beats screen accuracy anytime!
Cool pics!

djd
08-23-2013, 06:50 PM
Very true Bugs

HENRY JONES JR.
11-18-2013, 04:57 AM

Well JeffDJ (Just had to post your funny picture again! lol), I darkened my Todd's Downtowner ribbon with the mink oil. It seemed to work. Outdoors, it still looks dark, but now indoors, it's just a bit darker. I'm letting it dry, and kind of sink in to the ribbon, but I'm happy with the results. It's not as dark as my Christy's of London fedora ribbon (My Christys is just...perfect), but I still like the results.

http://www.fortuneandglory.org/forums/threads/2027-NEAT-TRICK-TO-DARKEN-YOUR-FEDORA-RIBBON!-(without-dye)-(photos!)

KidHuevos
11-19-2013, 12:15 AM

I've said it before, but it's worth repeating: This forum needs a "like" button. :)

JeffDJ
11-19-2013, 11:45 PM
Well JeffDJ (Just had to post your funny picture again! lol), I darkened my Todd's Downtowner ribbon with the mink oil. It seemed to work. Outdoors, it still looks dark, but now indoors, it's just a bit darker. I'm letting it dry, and kind of sink in to the ribbon, but I'm happy with the results. It's not as dark as my Christy's of London fedora ribbon (My Christys is just...perfect), but I still like the results.

http://www.fortuneandglory.org/forums/threads/2027-NEAT-TRICK-TO-DARKEN-YOUR-FEDORA-RIBBON!-(without-dye)-(photos!)

Don't forget to post some pics of your updated Todd's fedora when the newly-darkened ribbon dries!

And glad you still like that photo, heh-heh. :)

Gunslinger
11-20-2013, 04:03 AM
It's up the top of the page! :)

JeffDJ
05-25-2014, 07:00 PM
It's been a while since my last "bus stop selfie," so I wore my Todd's fedora on its first official outing of the year yesterday. The sun wasn't out in full force at that particular moment, so the hat colour isn't popping as much as it could be, but it still looks great and I'm still quite happy with it. :)

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/Worf2DS9/hatoutside3_zps9af881e5.jpg

djd
05-25-2014, 07:25 PM
So difficult to judge a hat with an arms length selfie... I'd like to see it from a little distance so the shape isn't distorted...

HENRY JONES JR.
05-25-2014, 07:33 PM
It's been a while since my last "bus stop selfie," so I wore my Todd's fedora on its first official outing of the year yesterday. The sun wasn't out in full force at that particular moment, so the hat colour isn't popping as much as it could be, but it still looks great and I'm still quite happy with it. :)

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/Worf2DS9/hatoutside3_zps9af881e5.jpg

Your a cool dude JeffDJ. Love that your rock'in the Indy hat!

JeffDJ
05-27-2014, 11:16 PM
So difficult to judge a hat with an arms length selfie... I'd like to see it from a little distance so the shape isn't distorted...
This is one I took last Halloween. It's still arm's length (my cat hasn't learned how to use my camera yet), but it's further back, beyond just head & shoulders.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/Worf2DS9/oct31bb_zps3159040c.jpg