PDA

View Full Version : My new todd's fedora & magnoli bag syle shots

HENRY JONES JR.
05-31-2013, 11:06 PM
Here are style shots of my new Todd's fedora & MAGNOLI bag.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4136_zpsf9a046de.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/steven-spielberg/media/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4136_zpsf9a046de.jpg.html)

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4134_zps3aa46854.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/steven-spielberg/media/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4134_zps3aa46854.jpg.html)

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4132_zpsf2fbb433.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/steven-spielberg/media/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4132_zpsf2fbb433.jpg.html)

I spent several hours late last night changing my new Todd's fedora to suit me, and make it look more like a hat Indy wore.
It CERTAINLY did NOT look like this out of the box. I recommend this hat ONLY if you do what I did to it, and beat the liv'in crap out of it, sit on it, throw it against the wall, twist it, abuse it, and basically, treat it like you don't care about it. I made the pinch tighter, and the bashes deeper. The back of the brim was void of a little uplift, or duck tail, so I gave it one. I tried to make it look somewhat like a RAIDERS hat.

The photos came out really well for a change. The color of the hat felt is a bit darker than it appears in the morning sun, and the same goes for the ribbon. It's not that dark, yet in the photo, it looks like it.

The Magnoli bag worked out great for my hike. The non-Magnoli bag strap did stain my shirt (hopefully it will come out in the wash), but that's not the fault of the bag. The bag worked like a champ! I HIGHLY recommend the bag.

HENRY JONES JR.
06-01-2013, 06:24 AM
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4136_zpsf9a046de.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/steven-spielberg/media/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4136_zpsf9a046de.jpg.html)

This is my favorite of the photos. I took several shots, but I thought this one came out the best, and looked the most accurate. I almost didn't take the photo, but when the others didn't show the growth under the rocks, I backed up a bit and took this shot. It turned out pretty well, and looks very "INDY-LIKE". :whip:

JeffDJ
06-01-2013, 11:16 PM
So glad you managed to get the hat! It looks great, and I like the colour! Too bad about that angled crease (?) across the front of the ribbon. Did it come like that or was that a result of you manhandling it? Also, Todd's site says the hat has a "nice stiffness" -- how stiff was it, and did that make it more difficult to smash and crush it? :D Also, could you take a side view photo when you have a chance so we can see the profile & ribbon? Overall, it looks pretty great HJJ. Congrats on your new acquisition! :)

Louisianna James
06-02-2013, 02:45 AM
Awesome hat HJJ!! That hat looks screenused :D

HENRY JONES JR.
06-02-2013, 07:12 PM
So glad you managed to get the hat! It looks great, and I like the colour! Too bad about that angled crease (?) across the front of the ribbon. Did it come like that or was that a result of you manhandling it? Also, Todd's site says the hat has a "nice stiffness" -- how stiff was it, and did that make it more difficult to smash and crush it? :D Also, could you take a side view photo when you have a chance so we can see the profile & ribbon? Overall, it looks pretty great HJJ. Congrats on your new acquisition! :)

I must admit, I like this hat. It was well done, and seems to be well made. Looks like they did thier homework.

I really don't want my two problems with Todd's to make me unfairly judge their products, so I took a couple of days away to just judge the quality on it's own. I'ts great. Out of the box (It's sent in a beautiful hat box) it fit too tight, but I've never bought a brand new hat, and I thought it may need a break in period like shoes. I did beat the hell out of it on purpose, as I was going to anyway as that was the look I was going for. Being unhappy about the shipping problem made the decition easier on me. lol

The felt feels like a nice quality felt, and gives the impression that it is going to be as durable as a fur felt can be. It's not too thin, or too thick of felt, but seems correct to a non pro like me. The crown's hight seems right (the width around the crown seemed too big for my small head out of the box(looking like a helmet on my head, but after sitting on it, crushing it, adding a pinch, and a little deeper bashes, it took on the look I wanted. You may, or may not get the same results as I, so take that into consideration. It will not look like an Indy hat out of the box new.

The crease on the ribbon might have been done by me by it's abuse, or when I wet the hat to make the pinch in front, but I actually don't mind it, and it gives it lived in character. It was somewhat stiff, but not overly so. It bounces back to original shape easily. It was not hard to crush at all. Not like an over starched shirt collar or anything like that. It feels soft to the touch.

Just again to reiterate, the hat in my favorite photo that I took of it doesn't look exactly like what the color looks like, as it's darker than a real Herbert Johnson, but it's a better color than many out there which are usually way too dark. In the photo, in harsh, direct morning sunshine, it looks like a lighter brown than it actually is. Look at my other shots of the hat in the shade, and you'll see what I mean. The ribbon also looks really dark in the photo, but it is not anywhere near that dark in real life. It's ligher than that, but the sun on the ribbon most likely reflected in a way that makes it look darker I guess. Not sure. Once again, make sure to check out the other photos of this hat in the shade, as that is closer to the true color.

One getts the impression that this hat will last. No, it's not a beaver pelt, and I don't mean it's durible in that way, but It looks to be well made, and should last for quite a while.

It's not too stiff, and holds it's shape well. Even after smashing the hat, and sitting on it, it didn't feel like it had too much stiffener in it, and popped right back into it's original shape, and that which I shaped it with water.

I believe this hat will serve it's purpose, and that is to wear this hat, and not worry about what could happen to it, like an expensive Herbert Johnson. I'm happy with it, and others may be happy with it as well.

For the money, I doubt one could be found that is better. This is a very nice quality hat, for little money.

Am I happy with the hat? Yes. Very.

The decision is yours. As a wise old knight once told me, "Choose wisely".

djd
06-02-2013, 07:20 PM
Sounds a bit like a Fed IV then..... Whatever you do to it it goes back to its original shape

HENRY JONES JR.
06-02-2013, 07:32 PM
Awesome hat HJJ!! That hat looks screenused :D

Thanks buddy! I'm certainly impressed with your hat too!

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds a bit like a Fed IV then..... Whatever you do to it it goes back to its original shape

From what I've read from members here, the Fed IV is one wonderful, durible hat that is made to the highest standards. I've nothing but respect for it, and it's owners from choosing them.

HENRY JONES JR.
06-02-2013, 11:43 PM
I must admit, I like this hat. It was well done, and seems to be well made. Looks like they did thier homework.

I really don't want my two problems with Todd's to make me unfairly judge their products, so I took a couple of days away to just judge the quality on it's own. I'ts great. Out of the box (It's sent in a beautiful hat box) it fit too tight, but I've never bought a brand new hat, and I thought it may need a break in period like shoes. I did beat the hell out of it on purpose, as I was going to anyway as that was the look I was going for. Being unhappy about the shipping problem made the decition easier on me. lol

The felt feels like a nice quality felt, and gives the impression that it is going to be as durable as a fur felt can be. It's not too thin, or too thick of felt, but seems correct to a non pro like me. The crown's hight seems right (the width around the crown seemed too big for my small head out of the box(looking like a helmet on my head, but after sitting on it, crushing it, adding a pinch, and a little deeper bashes, it took on the look I wanted. You may, or may not get the same results as I, so take that into consideration. It will not look like an Indy hat out of the box new.

The crease on the ribbon might have been done by me by it's abuse, or when I wet the hat to make the pinch in front, but I actually don't mind it, and it gives it lived in character. It was somewhat stiff, but not overly so. It bounces back to original shape easily. It was not hard to crush at all. Not like an over starched shirt collar or anything like that. It feels soft to the touch.

Just again to reiterate, the hat in my favorite photo that I took of it doesn't look exactly like what the color looks like, as it's darker than a real Herbert Johnson, but it's a better color than many out there which are usually way too dark. In the photo, in harsh, direct morning sunshine, it looks like a lighter brown than it actually is. Look at my other shots of the hat in the shade, and you'll see what I mean. The ribbon also looks really dark in the photo, but it is not anywhere near that dark in real life. It's ligher than that, but the sun on the ribbon most likely reflected in a way that makes it look darker I guess. Not sure. Once again, make sure to check out the other photos of this hat in the shade, as that is closer to the true color.

One getts the impression that this hat will last. No, it's not a beaver pelt, and I don't mean it's durible in that way, but It looks to be well made, and should last for quite a while.

It's not too stiff, and holds it's shape well. Even after smashing the hat, and sitting on it, it didn't feel like it had too much stiffener in it, and popped right back into it's original shape, and that which I shaped it with water.

I believe this hat will serve it's purpose, and that is to wear this hat, and not worry about what could happen to it, like an expensive Herbert Johnson. I'm happy with it, and others may be happy with it as well.

For the money, I doubt one could be found that is better. This is a very nice quality hat, for little money.

Am I happy with the hat? Yes. Very.

The decision is yours. As a wise old knight once told me, "Choose wisely".

I forgot to mention that I added the upturn of the back of the brim on the hat myself, as it only curves on the edges, not the back of it. Check the Todd's website photos of the hat, as that is the shape that comes. I don't recall much of, if any front pinch on the hat when it arrived. I added one to my hat.

Another thing I forgot to mention is (thankfully) the complete absence of ribbon tacks, or sewing that sews down the ribbon band on the hat! Another plus!

I'll post a photo of it's profile when I can.

JeffDJ
06-03-2013, 12:28 AM
I measured my head after my haircut and it now comes in at 59cm--not too tight, not too loose--so think I may take the plunge and order one in this size, which they do have in stock.

HENRY JONES JR.
06-03-2013, 12:43 AM
Here's more brand new photos. Tell me what you think.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4149_zps833923c9.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/steven-spielberg/media/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4149_zps833923c9.jpg.html)

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4147_zps4c33074e.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/steven-spielberg/media/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4147_zps4c33074e.jpg.html)

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4148_zps11ed3c30.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/steven-spielberg/media/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4148_zps11ed3c30.jpg.html)

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4142_zps98a1cb0b.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/steven-spielberg/media/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4142_zps98a1cb0b.jpg.html)

djd
06-03-2013, 03:22 AM
I think we need to see it on your head. All my indy hats have looked great until I've put them on.....

HENRY JONES JR.
06-03-2013, 04:23 AM
I measured my head after my haircut and it now comes in at 59cm--not too tight, not too loose--so think I may take the plunge and order one in this size, which they do have in stock.

Cool JeffDJ! Let us know how it goes! And, of course, show pictures!

- - - Updated - - -

I think we need to see it on your head. All my indy hats have looked great until I've put them on.....

Yep, I hear that! They all look different on one's head. I agree.

JeffDJ
06-03-2013, 05:57 AM
HJJ, your latest batch of pics look great! I do quite love the colour of the felt.

JeffDJ
06-03-2013, 11:20 PM
Cool JeffDJ! Let us know how it goes! And, of course, show pictures!
Okay, the hat has been ordered! I also got their hat stand too since it's so cheap. Looking forward to getting it! :D

HENRY JONES JR.
06-05-2013, 04:41 AM
HJJ, your latest batch of pics look great! I do quite love the colour of the felt.

Okay, the hat has been ordered! I also got their hat stand too since it's so cheap. Looking forward to getting it! :D

CONGRATS JeffDJ!!

I should have ordered a stand too, but thankfully, I can get the same one locally at a hat shop.

PLEASE SHOW PICTURES!!! Out of the box pictures would be appreciated. Please remember, don't be shocked if it doesn't look how my hat looks, as I made it look the way it does. It did not come that way. With that said, I'm REALLY looking forward to your thoughts on it when you get it, and of course....PICTURES!!!

Your Pal,

HENRY JONES JR.

djd
06-05-2013, 12:59 PM
We still need to see pics of you wearing your hat HJJnr! No idea how good it actually looks until we see it on. Come on, don't be shy....

HENRY JONES JR.
06-11-2013, 04:29 AM

Jeff, did you get your fedora yet?? Dying to see yours, and hear your personal views on it.

JeffDJ
06-11-2013, 11:18 PM
Hey, I just came on to say that it did indeed come today -- but of course I was at work and wasn't available to accept it. So I'll have to drop by the postal outlet on the way home to pick it up (and pay the duty charge). Then pix! I'll probably start a new thread of my own, so keep watch! :D

PS: I notice you changed your profile pic to feature your new hat! :)

HENRY JONES JR.
06-12-2013, 03:56 AM
Hey, I just came on to say that it did indeed come today -- but of course I was at work and wasn't available to accept it. So I'll have to drop by the postal outlet on the way home to pick it up (and pay the duty charge). Then pix! I'll probably start a new thread of my own, so keep watch! :D

PS: I notice you changed your profile pic to feature your new hat! :)

DUDE! I'm so glad that your getting it today. I forgot that your in Canada, which would take longer for it to be delivered. I'm very much looking forward to seeing it. (please take pictures of the box, and what it looks like out of the box without doing anything to it first, members will want to see that.)

Starting a new thread on your new hat is cool.

Yeah, I did put up a new avatar to feature my new hat, and bag. I am pretty proud of them, so I wanted to show it off!

Looking forward to your photos, and review Jeff!

djd
06-12-2013, 03:43 PM
And pics of it being worn please! Impossible to judge it otherwise

Ram Man
06-12-2013, 10:03 PM
And pics of it being worn please! Impossible to judge it otherwise

Agreed, pics of it on yer noggin would be appreciated:agree:

JeffDJ
06-13-2013, 12:36 AM
Okay, update: Picked up the hat today, and took a bunch of pics (yes, even a couple of me wearing it!). It's darker than I expected, but it looks great and the fit is perfect too. And it came out of the box pretty much ready to go -- no HJJ-like bashing or smashing necessary, and the back of the brim was already turned up nicely as well.

Aaaaanyway, the point of this post was really to say I won't be able to post the pix today. Stay tuned tomorrow!

HENRY JONES JR.
06-13-2013, 03:23 AM
Okay, update: Picked up the hat today, and took a bunch of pics (yes, even a couple of me wearing it!). It's darker than I expected, but it looks great and the fit is perfect too. And it came out of the box pretty much ready to go -- no HJJ-like bashing or smashing necessary, and the back of the brim was already turned up nicely as well.

Aaaaanyway, the point of this post was really to say I won't be able to post the pix today. Stay tuned tomorrow!

I'm sooo happy for you Jeff, and yet a tad bit confused. The back of the brim on mine was exactly as it shows on thier website, so I made my own upturn, and deepened the already existing bashes, and made my own pinch. I'm happy that you didn't have to do it, but am confused as to why I had to do it to mine. You'd think they'd all be the same.

As I stated in my earlier posts, the color of the hat is darker than a Herbert Johnson, but if you bring it out in the sun, it will look MUCH lighter.

I'll try and take a shot of me wearing the hat. My problem is I have a small head to go with my small frame, and the hat looked like a helmet when I got it (no real pinch when I got mine new) so it was a more rounder looking helmet type thing, but with the crushing, deeper bashes and tight pinch, it looks better on me now than it did when I got it. With someone with a normal sized head, it would look better than on me with a small head, but it fits! Jeff most likely has a normal sized head, so it most likely will look even better on him. I really, really like my hat! I wore it today!

djd
06-13-2013, 09:11 AM
But that HJJ, is the crucial thing.... I've had a host of indy hats that look great on a hat stand (Magnoli HJ, AB Henry, Todd's Uptowner, AB, Fed IV, schubert etc) but the trick is one that looks like an Indy hat on your head.... That is about the proportions of the hat in relation to your face and is much harder to get right in my experience

Ram Man
06-13-2013, 06:53 PM
But that HJJ, is the crucial thing.... I've had a host of indy hats that look great on a hat stand (Magnoli HJ, AB Henry, Todd's Uptowner, AB, Fed IV, schubert etc) but the trick is one that looks like an Indy hat on your head.... That is about the proportions of the hat in relation to your face and is much harder to get right in my experience

Well said djd. My experience has been the same. After all the money that I spent on cheaper hats I should have learned my lesson.

HJJ in my opinion you can't beat a good handmade hat and the guys at Steele and Jones offer a top of the line hat for a very reasonable price. I only say this because I couldn't afford a more expensive one and was by no means disappointed with what I received from S&J. And like the other vendors Diego is all about good service.

I am not suggesting S&J above the rest, I am only going by my own personal experience with them specifically and can say that I was very pleased.

Have a Vintage HJ coming from S&J soon and would be happy to post pics when I get it.......

HENRY JONES JR.
06-14-2013, 03:42 AM

Well said djd. My experience has been the same. After all the money that I spent on cheaper hats I should have learned my lesson.

HJJ in my opinion you can't beat a good handmade hat and the guys at Steele and Jones offer a top of the line hat for a very reasonable price. I only say this because I couldn't afford a more expensive one and was by no means disappointed with what I received from S&J. And like the other vendors Diego is all about good service.

I am not suggesting S&J above the rest, I am only going by my own personal experience with them specifically and can say that I was very pleased.

Have a Vintage HJ coming from S&J soon and would be happy to post pics when I get it.......

I agree with you both. Hats in general, (including baseball caps) don't look good on me. The Herbert Johnson looks good on me. I like the Todd's, and it looks ok on me. I guess I just have a smaller head than the average person! :D