PDA

View Full Version : Todd's new "Downtowner"

JeffDJ
05-25-2013, 01:07 PM
I had read a while back that Todd's would be discontinuing the Downtowner and that the "Raider" would be the main hat they would be selling in the future. However, I popped in there the other day and was surprised to see a series of brand new photos for the Downtowner, which I thought was an odd thing to do for a hat they were going to be dumping. I inquired about it, and Sue over there said the photos are of "the new hat" and also noted the reduced price and different quality from the previous hat.

Here are a couple of pix of the new Downtowner, which I think looks pretty darned good compared to their previous version:

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/3503/toddsnewdwntwnr.jpg

For what I'm looking for, this looks perfect to me both in look and price. I think I see one of these in my future...

djd
05-25-2013, 01:41 PM
Looks good. Would like to see it on a head though. I had one of his Uptowners which was a good shaped hat. A bit stiff but great value

HENRY JONES JR.
05-26-2013, 02:57 AM
I had read a while back that Todd's would be discontinuing the Downtowner and that the "Raider" would be the main hat they would be selling in the future. However, I popped in there the other day and was surprised to see a series of brand new photos for the Downtowner, which I thought was an odd thing to do for a hat they were going to be dumping. I inquired about it, and Sue over there said the photos are of "the new hat" and also noted the reduced price and different quality from the previous hat.

Here are a couple of pix of the new Downtowner, which I think looks pretty darned good compared to their previous version:

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/3503/toddsnewdwntwnr.jpg

For what I'm looking for, this looks perfect to me both in look and price. I think I see one of these in my future...

Looks pretty good. The price is sure right. Hope it's not too stiff.

Anyone know if the felt color is close to the film version? How about the ribbon?

HENRY JONES JR.
05-26-2013, 04:49 PM
I ordered one. I elected to have two day shipping, so with sunday (today) and Memorial day (monday), I hope to have it Thursday.

Anyone else order one?

JeffDJ
05-26-2013, 11:20 PM
Alas, it appears they're already out of the 60cm size (figures!), so I'll have to wait till they're back in stock. Looking forward to seeing pics of yours when you get it, HJJ! :)

HENRY JONES JR.
05-27-2013, 03:58 AM
Alas, it appears they're already out of the 60cm size (figures!), so I'll have to wait till they're back in stock. Looking forward to seeing pics of yours when you get it, HJJ! :)

Ahhh JeffDJ.....that sucks! I'm sorry dude.

I hope they have my size in stock. I had a problem with them the first time I tried to order from them with something listed as in stock (with order number), but later, I was told it wasn't. Hopefully, giving them a second chance will prove it was just a one time big mistake.

I'll take pictures, of course! (sadly, pictures of my fedoras generally don't turn out so well...go figure.)

crismans
05-27-2013, 01:28 PM
Looks good! I'll wait on your guys' review and I might have to get one. I've been looking for a decent, inexpensive hat to work in and this might just be the ticket.

HENRY JONES JR.
05-27-2013, 04:50 PM
Looks good! I'll wait on your guys' review and I might have to get one. I've been looking for a decent, inexpensive hat to work in and this might just be the ticket.

My thoughts exactly. I want one to wear when hiking, adventuring etc., and not worry if it gets dirty or banged up, as unlike my expensive Herbert Johnson, it would be inexpensive, and easier to replace. In fact, I DO want it to get a used look, and get bumped around. I'm hoping it fits well, and has a RAIDERS look to it.

I'll let ya know!

crismans
05-28-2013, 02:42 AM
Yes, please do. The thing is we have so many options now (which is much better than no options, I'll grant you!!). You start thinking about the Downtowner and then you start thinking that a regular Federation isn't much more and I know those things are built to last. And the wheels on the bus go 'round....

HENRY JONES JR.
05-30-2013, 05:38 AM
My fedora is scheduled to be delivered by UPS on Thurday may 30. Hopefully, I'll like it, it fits, and I can take pictures to show everyone. I'm curious how it will look.

JeffDJ
05-30-2013, 07:22 PM
I'm waiting with rapt anticipation!! :D

Actually, I just got a haircut today, so maybe I'll re-measure my head and see if it comes in at a size they have! :D

HENRY JONES JR.
05-30-2013, 09:29 PM
I'm waiting with rapt anticipation!! :D

Actually, I just got a haircut today, so maybe I'll re-measure my head and see if it comes in at a size they have! :D

It's scheduled to be delivered today, but a UPS truck dropped off something for my neighbor, and didn't return. Makes me a bit nervous, however, the tracking says it's to be delivered before the day is over. It's 2:30 now, perhaps another truck is on the way.

In a possible royal flush, I got my Magnoli Indy bag today! I'd be a great day if they both showed up on the same day!

HENRY JONES JR.
05-30-2013, 10:02 PM
STRIKE 2 FOR TODD'S COSTUMES! :mad:

UPS tracking website states that Todd's Costumes left off my apartment number, and can't deliver until it finds out what it is.

My official info to Todd's site shows that I DID include my apartment number, and they somehow didn't add it to my delivery address. :doh:

I called up UPS to see if by any chance they can clear this up and deliver today (I paid extra for two day delivery) when I gave them my apartment number. They took down my phone number, and said they will call to let me know what they can do for me.

TWO mistakes by Todd's Costumes on the first two times I've tried to do business with them? Are you kidding me?????:doh::doh::doh:

Perhaps you may recall the first ever time I tried doing business with them...

http://www.fortuneandglory.org/forums/threads/1958-Disapointed-with-todd-s-website-mistake/page2

UPDATE:

UPS says it can't deliver today, as the driver is now out of the area, and I now have to drive to a different city to pick it up at the UPS will call between 9-10pm. I won't be able to sign for it on Friday's delivery, so if I don't pick it up tonight, I'll have to wait till monday until they can return (providing I'm available monday to be at home to sign for it).

DARN YOU TODD'S COSTUMES!

JeffDJ
05-31-2013, 01:09 AM
Wow, that sucks, HJJ! I've had nothing but great experiences with Todd's, so it seems luck just isn't on your side with them. UPS doesn't make things any easier either, do they? Fortunately my packages from Todd's come by USPS, then they're handed off to Canada Post for the rest of the journey. Even if I'm not at home when the package is delivered (which is usually the case), I can just pick it up at my local postal outlet the next day.

Here's hoping you won't have to wait until Monday! Too bad these mess-ups always seem to happen right before the weekend!

HENRY JONES JR.
05-31-2013, 04:17 AM
Wow, that sucks, HJJ! I've had nothing but great experiences with Todd's, so it seems luck just isn't on your side with them. UPS doesn't make things any easier either, do they? Fortunately my packages from Todd's come by USPS, then they're handed off to Canada Post for the rest of the journey. Even if I'm not at home when the package is delivered (which is usually the case), I can just pick it up at my local postal outlet the next day.

Here's hoping you won't have to wait until Monday! Too bad these mess-ups always seem to happen right before the weekend!

I'm not happy with Todd's. I wasn't before, and I'm certainly not now. I really made myself take another chance with them, and they blew it again. I don't think there will be a third try.

I did get the fedora tonight, and well, it doesn't look great out of the box. (sorry, no photos of it's arrived state) It looked too big on my head. My HJ looks right on my head, the Todd's looks massive, like a helmet. The felt is darker than a real HJ, and the ribbon is a lighter brown than the HJ. It fits a little tight for my size. Pissed at the hat, not to mention the trouble I've had with todd's, I just beat the hell out of it. Figured It certainly could not hurt. I beat the living crap out of it, sat on it a few times, re formed it back, sat on it again, and then sprayed it with water to form it the way I wanted. I gave it a tighter pinch, and a turn in on the front brim. I'll darken the ribbon and bow, and am going to stretch, and beat the living crap out of it. It's going to be my beater hat. I don't really care what happens to it. Dirt, dust, scrapes, water, warping, stretching, who cares. It's going to be my SOC / dragged under a truck hat.