PDA

View Full Version : Hats off to Akubra

Gunslinger
05-05-2013, 04:31 AM
http://www.news.com.au/business/companies/its-hats-off-to-akubra/story-fnda1bsz-1226635275120

Now ~that's~ how to block a hat! :)

RCSignals
02-09-2014, 03:13 AM
That guy should wear trousers Haha

Is that blocking still considered 'by hand' ? :D

bendingoak
02-09-2014, 03:22 AM
I like the stretch but I don't like the lack of water or the amount of water not being used.

Gunslinger
02-09-2014, 03:59 AM
May I ask how you know how much water is or isnt being used by that shot?

RCSignals
02-09-2014, 05:33 AM
Is that steam I see? Steaming the block?

bendingoak
02-09-2014, 06:14 AM
I know the machine.

Gunslinger
02-09-2014, 07:56 AM
I don't know if I'd be using a posed publicity shot as an indication of anything. They probably had the poor bastard standing there like that posing for the previous 5 minutes.

RCSignals
02-09-2014, 11:40 AM
Besides, he's not wearing pants.

bendingoak
02-09-2014, 03:26 PM
I don't know if I'd be using a posed publicity shot as an indication of anything. They probably had the poor bastard standing there like that posing for the previous 5 minutes.

Doesn't change the machine. By that logic you can't make the comment "this is how to block a hat."

Gunslinger
02-09-2014, 08:30 PM
Mine was a figure of speech - as in, "that's a big mo+&@$?ucking machine being used by an employee in a large factory manufacturing facility that makes watching someone using a brim flange seem like quite p&$$?ish by comparison." Maybe you need to picture Samuel L Jackson or someone saying it.

bendingoak
02-09-2014, 09:18 PM
That's not how I read it. I have seen machines like that so that wasn't nothing new and I don't use a flanges to block a hat.

I guess it's how it worded and who's reading it.

RCSignals
02-09-2014, 11:37 PM
Yes i took Gunslingers' comment that way, a figure of speech with a sprinkle of sarcasm on the method

Gunslinger
02-10-2014, 05:37 AM
Yes. :)

Gunslinger
05-25-2014, 09:47 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/landline/content/2014/s4011429.htm

Here we go; a shitload of water / steam shown in a recent video report. Those production numbers boggle the mind.

djd
05-25-2014, 09:59 PM
I feel rather sorry for the rabbits after watching that but Akubra make tough, quality hats for the money

HENRY JONES JR.
05-25-2014, 10:59 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/landline/content/2014/s4011429.htm

Here we go; a shitload of water / steam shown in a recent video report. Those production numbers boggle the mind.

12 Rabbits to make my grey Akubra Fed 4 hat. Wow. It's a by product, as the meat is eaten.

Aside for some kind of very fancy dining dishes, or sophisticated dishes, Americans don't eat Rabbit. Oh, sure, some hunters will, and very fancy diners, but it's not mainstream here. Most Americans wouldn't eat Rabbit, as they are mostly viewed as pets here. Here, it's Beef and Chicken. Even Emu just never caught on. Yes, there are those who eat Rabbit, but on average, it's not eaten.

I absolutely love my Akubra hat.

Can anyone tell me why it has a reputation as being durable, tough, and well made? Why are they better made than other hats? Do they do something different that other hat makers aren't doing? Mine sure looks like extremely high quality.

Gunslinger
05-25-2014, 11:21 PM
They've kept the quality up there the whole time. They haven't sold out for cheaper methods or outsourced materials, even when it means cost pressures. As the news report shows, they process all the pelts inhouse, and are still the same family owned, locally operated company after all this time. For a business that exports such huge numbers internationally, that's amazing.

HENRY JONES JR.
05-25-2014, 11:29 PM
They've kept the quality up there the whole time. They haven't sold out for cheaper methods or outsourced materials, even when it means cost pressures. As the news report shows, they process all the pelts inhouse, and are still the same family owned, locally operated company after all this time. For a business that exports such huge numbers internationally, that's amazing.

I agree. My Akubra Fed 4 fedora is my favorite hat. I just love it. QUALITY!

It's just ...perfect.

Outsourcing makes inferior hats? Is there something specific they do to make Akubra longer lasting than other hats, such as say....Christie's of London? Akubra has a reputation to be able to take a beating, and still hold up. Other hats don't have that reputation.Why is that? Now that I own a Akubra, all I can say is I'm a believer!

djd
05-26-2014, 05:38 AM
Whilst my Akubra isn't my favourite hat, it's certainly the toughest. The felt isn't particularly soft or pliable - which are often seen as marks of quality in dress hats. Akubra felt feels particularly dense which is why it's so tough I guess. It's the one hat I'd wear in the rain if I had to.

Gunslinger
05-26-2014, 11:32 AM
Yeah it's not so much that outsourcing equals bad, just that keeping things inhouse shows a commitment to controlling their supply chain and the quality of the product. So many companies just look at how to make the most profit at the smallest outlay but you can tell that Akubra takes pride in their traditions.

They are a slightly "harsh" hat to me, but can be pounced to as soft as the most luxurious vintage hats I've ever felt.

djd
05-26-2014, 01:54 PM
Harsh is a good way of describing it :-)
Slightly cardboard like.
By far the two softest and smoothest finished hats I own are both German 1950s vintage. Streets ahead of any modern hat I've owned.

crismans
05-26-2014, 02:00 PM
As I've said elsewhere, I have really liked the Akubra's I've owned as far as quality/durability. I think, out of the box, they would make one of the best everyday wear or, especially, work hat. Like DJD, it's one hat I'd wear in the rain without a second thought. My big problem with the Akubra is with the block shape. If I'm trying to get an Indy look, I can never get the top dent deep enough without it riding on my head. Maybe it's my own styling problem, but I've not had this issue with other hats. Come to think of it, I think my "plane" hat that I had Gunslinger modify for me was a Fed III so maybe it's just the Fed IV that I have this problem with. Anyone want to send me a Fed III for me to experiment? :)

HENRY JONES JR.
05-26-2014, 10:44 PM
Harsh is a good way of describing it :-)
Slightly cardboard like.
By far the two softest and smoothest finished hats I own are both German 1950s vintage. Streets ahead of any modern hat I've owned.

Yeah it's not so much that outsourcing equals bad, just that keeping things inhouse shows a commitment to controlling their supply chain and the quality of the product. So many companies just look at how to make the most profit at the smallest outlay but you can tell that Akubra takes pride in their traditions.

They are a slightly "harsh" hat to me, but can be pounced to as soft as the most luxurious vintage hats I've ever felt.

Whilst my Akubra isn't my favourite hat, it's certainly the toughest. The felt isn't particularly soft or pliable - which are often seen as marks of quality in dress hats. Akubra felt feels particularly dense which is why it's so tough I guess. It's the one hat I'd wear in the rain if I had to.

Yes, stiff or cardboard like is a good way of describing it. My grey Akubra Fed 4 is a dress hat, and I'd like it to stay in the shape that it is. The fur surface is incredibly smooth. If I had a brown Akubra Fed 4, I may not want it to be too stiff, but as Gunslinger mentioned, it can be made soft and plyable if you want it to be.

They sure know how to make a quality hat, that's for sure!