PDA

View Full Version : Crystal skull jacket. Am i the only member that likes it?

HENRY JONES JR.
04-15-2013, 02:13 AM
My favorite jacket is the ROTLA jacket. But my second favorite is the Crystal Skull jacket.

Not a lot of members talk about it, as the majority (including myself) like the Raiders jacket the best.

I own an 30th Anniversary
Antique Lambskin Legend Jacket
Featherweight Antique Lambskin
and really like it. It's lightweight, and is very comfortable.

I also bought the U.S. WINGS Crystal Skull style Collectors Edition
Signature Series™ Indy-style
Vintage Adventurer Jacket made of soft cowhide.

I'm used to wearing goose down jackets which weigh a few ounces, so when I bought the cowhide jacket, I was disapointed at how heavy it was. I was not used to that. But, I started wearing it everyday, and now, I find that I'm just not wearing anything else, and I've grown accustomed to the weight. It doesn't feel heavy anymore.

I always liked it's vintage leather look. It's roomy, and comfortable. When I saw Indy wearing it (when he arrives in Peru, and is walking with Mutt) I just loved the jacket. I wanted one like it, so I bought one. Personally, I think U.S. WINGS does a nice job with the jackets. No, it's not movie perfect, but they are nice jackets, and very well made. The cowhide jacket feels rugged enough to last a lifetime, and not fall appart like some cheap store leather jacket.

The Raiders style lambskin jacket is cut differently. The length is waist length, and the CS jacket is longer, and goes past the waist.

The CS style signature series jacket is expensive, but a really nicely made jacket. I'm wearing it every day.

Am I the only member who loves the look of the CRYSTAL SKULL jacket?

HENRY JONES JR.
04-15-2013, 03:32 AM
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/WINGS9_zps9b7b3e09.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/steven-spielberg/media/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/WINGS9_zps9b7b3e09.jpg.html)

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/WINGS8_zps34834400.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/steven-spielberg/media/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/WINGS8_zps34834400.jpg.html)

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/WINGS10_zps11b74188.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/steven-spielberg/media/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/WINGS10_zps11b74188.jpg.html)

deadseascrolls
04-15-2013, 04:47 AM
No, you're not the only one. This is, by far, my favorite jacket with LC being in 2nd.

I also love the USW CE jacket. It is, as you say, an expensive jacket and I remember how I had gut-aches for weeks after I bought it as $400+ for a leather jacket was an outrageous sum for me. Now, however, I don't regret it as it's a very nice jacket.

I also am on #4 for TN jackets I own - ALL of them CS jackets! So if that doesn't say how much I love the CS jacket, nothing will. :o

djd
04-15-2013, 06:40 AM
I think they're nicely made, practical jackets but I hate how it looks in the film. Looks stiff as a board and the total antithesis to the light, flexible Raiders jacket. For me the jackets got worse with each film. The temple jacket is my second favourite after Raiders

HENRY JONES JR.
04-15-2013, 02:16 PM
No, you're not the only one. This is, by far, my favorite jacket with LC being in 2nd.

I also love the USW CE jacket. It is, as you say, an expensive jacket and I remember how I had gut-aches for weeks after I bought it as $400+ for a leather jacket was an outrageous sum for me. Now, however, I don't regret it as it's a very nice jacket.

I also am on #4 for TN jackets I own - ALL of them CS jackets! So if that doesn't say how much I love the CS jacket, nothing will. :o

Here here! Yeah, that is a heafty sum to pay, but I also agree, while expensive, (originally $509.00 + $19.95 shippiong) it's worth it. The uneven, distressed color of the jacket looks wonderful! It's thick leather, but veeery soft and flexable. Thanks for your post!!

I think they're nicely made, practical jackets but I hate how it looks in the film. Looks stiff as a board and the total antithesis to the light, flexible Raiders jacket. For me the jackets got worse with each film. The temple jacket is my second favourite after Raiders

I agree with you on a point you made. In most of the film, I agree, it does look stiff as a board, and not lived in, or broken in enough. Not many scrapes or anything.I think they should have made it look more used and lived in. To me, that's the fault of the wardrobe dept, not the jacket itself. It's drape doesn't look great on film. However, I like it's color, at least in person. Some scenes it doesn't look too good, in others it looks real nice.

What you don't see in the film is that it is a buttery soft leather, and is really comfortable, and flexible. It's really rugged, but it doen't wrinkle easily, thus giving it a stiff look (which it really isn't, it's just the drape) and it's color is really nice in person.

You brought up a really good point.

djd
04-15-2013, 03:48 PM
I think a lot depends on what you want in an Indy jacket.... I want a jacket that makes me think of Raiders (as that's the REAL jacket for me). Within that, I'm keen that it looks just as tatty as the original, fits as badly as the original, etc. If I'm after a practical real world jacket then I'm almost certainly going to be wearing something else. It's a different customer base in my opinion. The most practical leather jacket I own is a replica WW1 German flying jacket. It's warm and long enough to keep me snug on a winters day. It also looks a lot smarter than any Indy jacket and fits in with the vintage style clothes that I often like to wear.

I like wearing my Indy jackets but I rarely do so with any practical thoughts in mind :)

fifthchamber
05-17-2013, 06:23 AM
I love the Raiders jacket the best of all...It's "the" jacket for me...

But having recently gotten a Nowak Crystal Skull, I can agree that as a jacket, rather than as an Indy jacket, I prefer it to most of the others I own..It's heavy, but not too heavy, and soft enough to wear and move in easily...The Raiders I have is a little more uncomfortable, but not ridiculously, so it's a toss up between them...On colder days I usually end up with my Nowak on...And because it's a touch roomier, I prefer it in winter, since I can load up several layers...But the Raiders is still a touch ahead in "looks" for me...

I have to agree about how it looked in the scene leading up to mental hospital....I love the look of the jacket there....Really good stuff...Bigger, roomier and way different from Raiders, but it still suited an older man rather well.....And I can see it as a logical progression from the Last Crusade jacket into the Crystal Skull one...So I think it makes sense there....

I'm a fan, although I prefer the Raiders...

crismans
05-18-2013, 01:22 AM
I like the jacket quite a bit. I think the Raiders looks much cooler on screen, but the CS is more practical for real world adventures. My one complaint is that the sleeves aren't tapered enough. They are too barrel shaped for my taste.