PDA

View Full Version : Crushable wool indy fedora question

HENRY JONES JR.
03-11-2013, 03:10 AM
Just curious if anyone has any experience with this. I have a replica INDY style fedora. It's one of those wool crushable, all weather types. This one has the brim that on the edges is folded, and sewn back onto the brim. Not sure if it's called a welted brim, mode edge, or some other term, but I bought it for the winter to wear in cold, rainy weather. It's pretty water resistant, and doesn't seem to shrink. It can be crushed, and it will pop back into shape (My car actually ran over it with the back tire, and the front tire when I accidentily dropped it in the driveway...and it poped back into shape as though it never happened! Had to clean off the tread marks though...lol).

My question is, can you, or has anyone tried cutting around the folded edge of the brim to trim that away, so it has a raw edge like on Indy's hat? Can it be done without it falling apart? Basicly, will the wool hold together, or come unraveled?

jlee562
03-12-2013, 12:35 AM
That would be a welted edge, either overwelt or underwelt depending on which side of the brim it's on. The welt does add some shape to the brim, especially with a wool felt hat, but I don't see any reason to believe that the wool will suddenly become unfelted if you trimmed it off. There's nothing structurally integral to the felt in the welt stitching.

HENRY JONES JR.
03-12-2013, 01:18 AM
That would be a welted edge, either overwelt or underwelt depending on which side of the brim it's on. The welt does add some shape to the brim, especially with a wool felt hat, but I don't see any reason to believe that the wool will suddenly become unfelted if you trimmed it off. There's nothing structurally integral to the felt in the welt stitching.

The curves on this brim makes the wearer look like he's a Ferengi from Star Trek! WAAY over the top wave. Indy's hat never looked like this. I've already reshaped the crown, as it was not exactly accurate (it's not an official Indy trademarked hat), but the brim is driving me crazy.

jlee562, I sure appreciate your correct term on the welted edge, and your opinion!

Any more opinions to throw out there before I do this?