PDA

View Full Version : Todd's new shirts

JeffDJ
03-09-2013, 07:59 PM
Got my Todd's shirt earlier this week, from their "new batch" of shirts with the improved colouring. Gone is the yellowy tinge the previous ones had and it looks much nicer. I do think it's a shade or two darker than the product photos on their website, and I even deducted a star rating because of it. However, my initial impression was based on looking at it in artificial & dim lighting. Looking at it now in actual daylight and direct sunlight, it doesn't seem quite as dark.

Here's a pic I just took, and the colour looks pretty awesome to me, though this isn't what it looks like with the naked eye; otherwise, I'd be 99% thrilled!

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/6744/indyshirt.jpg

The other 1% quibble is that the cuffs are quite narrow. I had to undo the buttons on each in order to get my hands through. Otherwise, it's a nice, lightweight cotton shirt that should keep you cool whether you're slogging through steamy jungles, desert dig sites, or y'know, walking up to the corner store in the middle of July. :D

neutronbomb
03-10-2013, 01:55 PM
I also received one of these shirts a couple of weeks ago. I plan on doing a review and compare with an adventurebilt and Noel Howard that I have and some film screencaps. I like the shirt quite a bit, but yes the cuffs are narrow on the XL that I got. My wrist is a little over 8" so the cuffs don't button up. Opened up and splayed out the cuff measured 9.5". The Noel and adventurebilt came in at 10" and can be buttoned.

The thing is I don't mind. I just roll them up anyway plus that's how I normally prefer wearing button down shirts. In fact, just for that type of wearing its more like a feature as it makes it a better fit on the forearms when rolled up.

something to consider for those of us with thicker wrists or that like a looser cuff.

JeffDJ
03-27-2013, 07:01 PM
So, I wore my shirt out in the world today for the first time (albeit under my zipped-up Indy jacket :)) and despite my issues with it, it is a nice shirt, if not the perfect Indy shirt. As I mentioned above, it's a few shades darker than what's depicted on the Todd's website, and the cuffs are tight. Otherwise though, it fits well and looked good with my jeans. One other oddity with the shirt is that despite being 100% cotton, I find that the fabric is quite noisy when it moves. I have tons of shirts that are 100% cotton (t-shirts & button-ups) and none of them have this crinkly sound. I wonder if this is something that will go away with a washing, or it's just the nature of the fabric used? Not great if I'm stealthily moving through an enemy camp -- they'll hear me coming a mile away! :D

djd
05-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Ditto on the cuffs issue... I don't have thick wrists but these just button up. The collar is also rather large and sits very high compared to all my other indy shirts.
Colour wise it's about the same shade as my Azuma LC shirt. A shade darker than my AB Raiders and WPG.

djd
05-07-2013, 02:57 PM
I've just ordered one of Magnolis Adventure shirts.... I think it's the only Indy shirt I've yet to own so I'll let you know! The AB shirt is my favourtite of the lot by some distance still. The WPG shirt would be a nice practical alternative but the sizing seems so odd. The Large is still fairly massive and the Medium (going via the measurements has sleeves that are too short....)

neutronbomb
05-07-2013, 08:06 PM
+1 on the AB.

djd
05-07-2013, 08:14 PM
I'd even rate the AB over the Noel Howard (which I eventually sold), simply because the NH had one button too few and would always gape above the belt line

aggiedevil96
07-16-2013, 05:03 AM
What is an, "AB" ? Is this another way of talking about the Todd's Costume shirt?

I just won an ebay auction on a Todd's costume Indy shirt for $27 (although it's to have a small rip on the upper right arm)..which is fine by me seeing how a jacket will cover it most of the time.

djd
07-16-2013, 05:34 AM
AB = Adventurebilt. The guys that made the hat for Indy IV also did a limited run of Raiders shirts

djd
05-25-2014, 05:31 PM
I had my shipping notification for the latest version of Todds shirt. Fingers crossed it's better than ever

JeffDJ
05-25-2014, 06:46 PM
I also got my shipping notice yesterday. Looking forward to seeing the quality improvements with this new batch.

neutronbomb
05-25-2014, 08:38 PM
So jealous. No shipping notice for me yet.

ThrowMeTheWhip
05-27-2014, 06:18 PM
Just got my shipping notice!

As soon as this arrives, I can start to work with a scissor on my old shirt to make my Temple of Doom shirt. :)

neutronbomb
05-28-2014, 04:21 PM
I got my notice too. Supposed to be delivered today.

djd
05-28-2014, 04:27 PM
Looking forward to seeing it. I don't think there's a good shirt available from any of the regular vendors currently (unless you're the particular odd shape a WPG demands)

RCSignals
05-28-2014, 09:36 PM
Jerry Lee of WPG is a little odd himself. Lol

ThrowMeTheWhip
05-29-2014, 05:15 PM
Just got my shirt. Very nice! All these years I've been wearing the old yellow-tinted Todd's. The colors are so far apart between the two shirts.

My only complaint is that I wish the shirt were a hair longer and that the wrists weren't so tight and hard to button. But that aside, this seems like a definite step up.

djd
05-29-2014, 05:29 PM
My last one from a year or so ago had the tight wrist issue too but wasn't the yellow variety. The major problem I had with it was the peculiar fit of the collar, which wanted to be too uptight somehow. I've gone for a size larger this time to see if that helps

ThrowMeTheWhip
05-29-2014, 05:59 PM
The collar is a bit stiff. Was thinking that may disappear with a steaming, but then... maybe not?

JeffDJ
05-29-2014, 09:01 PM
Hm, not thrilled to hear that the too-tight wrist issue wasn't resolved after all. :-[ What's the material of the shirt like? That was apparently improved upon this time 'round.

ThrowMeTheWhip
05-29-2014, 10:19 PM
Thick but not heavy. Feels super durable. I like the material a lot.

neutronbomb
05-30-2014, 04:59 AM
I got a L and an XL. I found the wrists on the Large to be too tight, but then, I have 8" wrists. Still I couldn't even get the button close to fastening on the last one which was an XL. The wrists on the new XL I thought fitted fine.

Also, they have high armholes which I like. Maybe a hair tight in the L size. I would consider myself broader than average though through the shoulders. The L is totally wearable and probably fits more snug like Indy's, the XL feels more comfortable and is probably the better fit overall. However the shirts feel like they are more cut and built like a work shirt vs a dress shirt and they are not slim fittng like the Noel Howard's is. The size difference between them is significant. The material is thicker and more durable feeling. Maybe stiffer or something. Again, reminded me of a work shirt.

Compared against the Noel Howard in terms of color it is night and day. The Todd's appear almost grey. Or lighter. A light beige maybe. I might actually prefer the previous shirts, just with wider cuffs. Also, the L is most close in size to the NH that I have that is an XL.

On the other hand I also received my new bags from Todd. MINT condition! And ...we're lucky to have the vendors we do making these shirts. I would love to find a tailor locally that could take one of my slim cut dress shirts that fit really well and that I think would give a good raider vibe and have a tailor tweak the pattern and make me a custom raiders shirt. I haven't had any luck so far.

djd
05-30-2014, 09:38 AM
It sounds like Todd has moved back to something like the old WPG shirts he used to sell? The material was OK on the last batch, a thicker material certainly wasn't required. It sounds disappointing but I'll wait and see how mine looks when it arrives.

djd
05-31-2014, 09:54 AM
I received mine today. Fit wise the large is good on me, better than the large from WPG anyway. Colour,has a slightly pink hue to it, close to magnolis current adventure shirt and a fair way off either the NHe or the AB. The material is very thick compared to all the competitors, including the current version from WPG. It's a nice shirt but unlike my AB, I wouldn't want to wear it in Tunisia. I'll post a comparison picture later.

djd
05-31-2014, 03:36 PM
http://i58.tinypic.com/2eej70l.jpg

Comparison of color to my AB

- - - Updated - - -

http://i62.tinypic.com/34g925c.jpg
And to the last version of Todds shirt

Kt Templar
05-31-2014, 07:26 PM
Color!!??!!

djd
05-31-2014, 07:44 PM
Auto correct.... Colour!

neutronbomb
06-01-2014, 06:45 PM
I love the AB shirt. I somehow got wet jeans to bleed onto mine and ruined it. I shouldn't have thrown it away as I could have used it for compare photos. But I think your photo does a very good job on showing the color contrast. Man, there is a lot of pink in the Todd's. I have to figure out how to get another AB in XL. I did the same thing to my previous Todd's. So fair warning. For whatever reason these shirts are very easy to bleed color into from wet clothes.

I personally feel that the NH is the best color out there to date to match the actual film shirt. Just check out macs photo in the fedora ribbon debate thread of the BTS Hawaii photo. And also the Take4 BTS Hawaii photo. It almost seems the color altered BTS Hawaii photo that Mac brought to light that the raider.net uses is the color blueprint some of these vendors try and copy. Or the lighter appearance of the shirt as it appears in places in the film. I'm way backed up on compares, but I'd like to get some up of this.

djd
06-01-2014, 07:01 PM
As I said the new Todds colour is most like Magnolis version, although that has even more of a pink tone to it. I heard that Azuma is supposed to be doing a raiders?

djd
06-01-2014, 09:44 PM
Follow up.... Washed it today and the colour has lost some of the pink. Also shrunk noticeably!

djd
06-01-2014, 09:59 PM
About an inch off each measurement.

neutronbomb
06-01-2014, 10:13 PM
Oh jeez....did you dry it too.

djd
06-01-2014, 10:17 PM
Nope

djd
06-01-2014, 10:43 PM
To be honest, the colour is much better and aside from not being able to button the collar the shirt still fits

neutronbomb
06-01-2014, 11:00 PM
The model used for these shirts must have a thin neck and wrists.

djd
06-02-2014, 05:29 AM
Yes I'd love to see the guy... 48" chest and a 15" neck...

JeffDJ
06-03-2014, 12:53 AM
I got my shirt today! I like the lighter colour (I don't see any pink in it at all), new cotton fabric (now it feels like a "real" shirt), and I'm pleased to say that I didn't have to unbutton the cuffs in order to get my hands through.

Only downside is it could be a little longer in the length. And as someone who's never had to iron anything before in his life, this thing was quite the wrinkle fest out of the package! :D

neutronbomb
06-03-2014, 01:08 AM
I don't know if ironing is must. I find hand washing in cold water with some woolite by itself, rinsing, buttoning up, hanging to dry after straightening out the shoulder tabs, collar, etc., and then wearing is the way to go.

ThrowMeTheWhip
06-03-2014, 05:01 AM
I use a steamer. Nice and delicate.

djd
06-03-2014, 09:21 AM
I never iron my indy shirts. They never looked ironed on him! The pink is only apparent against other, more khaki shirts

RCSignals
06-04-2014, 05:01 AM
Neutron. The area you live in should have custom shirt makers. You in particular really need that for best fit

You could take your shirts in with you and I'd think could get a superb Indy shirt custom made for yourself

ThrowMeTheWhip
06-04-2014, 05:04 AM
I bought a new shirt with the goal of cutting up my old one for a Temple cosplay. Now I'm seriously considering cutting up the new one. I just really don't like the damned collar or cuffs. Sooo soo tight. Went out to get some photos in gear today and my wrists just felt super restricted. I wore the shirt to a Raiders screening the other day and it didn't bother me. Now I'm wondering if just the act of sweating in it shrunk it a bit. Because the wrists are way way way too tight.

Kt Templar
06-04-2014, 08:00 AM
Is there any room to move the buttons outwards a 1/4 or 1/2 an inch, that might make a difference?

Or wear them unbuttoned like Ford in CS...

djd
06-04-2014, 12:47 PM
It's also worth saying that the buttons are just regular, pearl type buttons, rather than the larger ones we're used to seeing on indy shirts, including Todds older versions.

ThrowMeTheWhip
06-04-2014, 05:22 PM
Mine shrunk in the wash. I washed it in cold water and hung it to dry. It's much much too small. Lost about a half in in the sleeves.

djd
06-04-2014, 09:17 PM
I posted that mine had shrunk on Todds Facebook page. He said the material was supposed to be pretty shrunk... You might want to add your post

ThrowMeTheWhip
06-04-2014, 09:24 PM
Yup. That was my post you commented on. Sue was great about issuing me an exchange.

neutronbomb
06-04-2014, 10:26 PM
Mine shrunk in the wash. I washed it in cold water and hung it to dry. It's much much too small. Lost about a half in in the sleeves.

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt235/neutronbomb_photos/Miscellaneous/A3E75735-0030-4A7A-9143-D9AA8C8CD009_zps8sb290fv.jpg

ThrowMeTheWhip
06-05-2014, 01:03 AM
Pretty much.

At least Sue made exchange a breeze. I've dealt with her twice recently. First to resolve an issue with my account a few weeks ago before ordering the shirt. Very good customer service. Very helpful.

ThrowMeTheWhip
06-09-2014, 10:56 PM
Anybody having issues with the stitching on the sleeves popping out in the wash? That's now happened both with the first one and now the replacement they sent me.

I bought this shirt to replace my old one so I could turn my old one into a Rope Bridge shirt. But considering the right sleeve on this one is already coming loose, I may just rip up the new one instead. :L

neutronbomb
06-10-2014, 12:16 AM
I noticed the stitching on the Large that I ordered was loose and undone in several places. The XL seems to be ok. Personally, I know these things can happen with outsourcing and are probably some of the biggest headaches our vendors have. I just take to my tailor and have them repair. This seems pretty common with buttons coming off all the time. Happened with the Noel Howard. Happened with the Todd's pants. I'm not saying how others should feel about this. But, I just....I guess expect it.