PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Here Win This HJ Poet A Few Months Back?

cropdustdair
02-18-2013, 07:15 AM
I was just curious if any member here on F&G won this HJ Poet back in early December of 2012?
Please PM me if you did. Please.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110963929034

deadseascrolls
02-19-2013, 02:36 AM
Hello.

I believe this was a Herbert Johnson from their current offering as the liner is not period correct to the old HJ's and the ribbon has the large ribbon indicative of the new Poets being sold by Herbert Johnson. A very nice Herbert Johnson but not an original, vintage one.

Are you looking for vintage or would a new one like this work for you?

cropdustdair
02-19-2013, 04:55 AM
I don't believe it's a current model available from HJ. I contacted the seller who had it and he told me it was an older HJ model. I also contacted HJ directly and they told me that they only sell white HJ liners. The person who emailed me said that they have worked there for over 20 years and have never had black liners to their knowledge. It's strange because I've only ever seen them with white liners. I wonder if it's a knock off of some kind?

indydude18
02-19-2013, 06:23 AM
Very doubtful that it's a knock-off. It would be way too time consuming to copy a new HJ. Makes more sense to find a vintage HJ and try to pawn it off as being "screen-used". I have seen some HJ's with black liners before!

cropdustdair
02-19-2013, 06:38 AM
I agree. I have a strong feeling that the particular eBay Poet in question is a vintage older model. So who got it?? I want it!!!

Indiego Jones
02-20-2013, 03:56 PM
The HJ on the eBay link it's one of the hats that sold "Replix" from Germany, back in 2003-04.
Only vendor who ever offered HJ with black liners. Price was about U$D 250.- plus shipping.
I think he used to buy the HJ materials and assembled this fedoras.
Former www.indyfedora.com site. Then, if I'm correct, the same guy opened www.advintagefedora.com.

No Herbert Johnson, or Swaine Adeney shops are involved on the making of that hat.

The felt, sweatband and ribbon are the same of the HJ Todds used to offer.

Mistery solved.

cropdustdair
02-21-2013, 05:52 AM
Thank you Indiego Jones! So does anyone here have one of the Replix or Advintage Poets to sell in a 58cm?
It's funny though, on the Replix site it shows a picture of the liner, only it's white. Not black...hmmmm.
And I've actually emailed advinatgefedora several times inquiring about the Poet in question and I never get a response. I wonder if they don't speak English, even though the site is all in English and not German???
Anyway...who has one of these for me??? Thanks for the info again!!

Indiego Jones
02-21-2013, 12:52 PM
The Replix site sells HJ from adVintage. So, same hats.
He must run out of the black liners (since 2003....), or he stop offering because not many people like it.

deadseascrolls
02-21-2013, 01:03 PM
I know on some of the pages for their hats, there's an option to choose whatever color you want including black. However, that doesn't say that it'll have the HJ logo on it. But if having the logo on the liner is no big issue, they may still be able to get you a black liner with your HJ.

cropdustdair
02-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Thank you deadseascrolls! I've emailed advintagefedora several times over the last 3 months, before I even knew they were the ones who originally sold the HJ Poet with the black liner. However I've never heard anything back from them. I must have sent at least 4 emails. This morning I emailed Replix, but their site is all in German, so hopefully someone there can read my email since it's in English.
Do we have member here who can read & speak German?? :)