PDA

View Full Version : My DIY nylon whip...

fenris
02-15-2013, 02:21 PM
I finished a 7ft nylon paracord whip a few weeks ago. It has 2 bellies and a 12-plait overlay (which I think should've been 16).

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s96/kac_fenris/Indiana%20Jones/whips/My_Gear02b_zps012160ec.jpg
It's the lighter colored one in the picture above... (and our gate isn't really rusty, that's just the magic of Photoshop)

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s96/kac_fenris/Indiana%20Jones/whips/my_whip03_zps93553447.jpg

It's ugly as hell, but at least it cracks well. There are bulky parts where I did my strand drops and a little gaps. I didn't know how to make a turks head knot so I just sculpted a handle butt using epoxy putty and put a little coin at the end.

After about a week or more of finishing this whip, I decided to roll it between the floor and a board. I stepped on the board and kept rolling the whip from the tip to the handle. I was surprised at the results! The bulky parts were gone and the whip looked way better than before. All pics above were taken prior to rolling.

At least for my next whip, I know now to roll it after finishing each layer and not after finishing the whole thing.

neutronbomb
02-15-2013, 02:44 PM
I'm liking the magic of photoshop. Pretty rad photo. You should get that photo done on one of those services that convert it to a canvas picture. I think you email or upload your photo in and they have some program that spray paints it on a canvas. It's just a really cool photo and would look great as a painting hanging on your wall.

fenris
02-15-2013, 03:01 PM
The original pic looked too bland without the rust effect. It was just a light-cream colored gate... very boring. That's why I added the rust.

As for having it printed on canvas... naaahhh... Didn't make a hires copy of the photoshopped pic since I knew I'd only be uploading it on forums and FB.

I did make it into a cover photo for my local whip enthusiasts club on FB. Here's a pic of one of our whip meets... small turn-out, but that's okay. It was only our 2nd meeting.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s96/kac_fenris/Indiana%20Jones/whips/PWE_EB02b.jpg
Whips (from L to R): 2 nylon whips by Steve Koliski, 1 nylon whip by Tomek9210, 1 Todd's whip, and a bunch of locally made nylon rope whips (big and heavy whips, I might add)

HENRY JONES JR.
02-16-2013, 03:01 AM
I finished a 7ft nylon paracord whip a few weeks ago. It has 2 bellies and a 12-plait overlay (which I think should've been 16).

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s96/kac_fenris/Indiana%20Jones/whips/My_Gear02b_zps012160ec.jpg
It's the lighter colored one in the picture above... (and our gate isn't really rusty, that's just the magic of Photoshop)

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s96/kac_fenris/Indiana%20Jones/whips/my_whip03_zps93553447.jpg

It's ugly as hell, but at least it cracks well. There are bulky parts where I did my strand drops and a little gaps. I didn't know how to make a turks head knot so I just sculpted a handle butt using epoxy putty and put a little coin at the end.

After about a week or more of finishing this whip, I decided to roll it between the floor and a board. I stepped on the board and kept rolling the whip from the tip to the handle. I was surprised at the results! The bulky parts were gone and the whip looked way better than before. All pics above were taken prior to rolling.

At least for my next whip, I know now to roll it after finishing each layer and not after finishing the whole thing.

Congrats! Very cool whip! I haven't taken my whip out for years. And yes, I learned to crack it.

fenris
02-17-2013, 11:47 AM
Thanks! Maybe my next whip will be better and have actual turks head knots... I hope.

HENRY JONES JR.
02-18-2013, 02:09 AM
Thanks! Maybe my next whip will be better and have actual turks head knots... I hope.

How long does it take to make one?

fenris
02-18-2013, 12:37 PM
This whip actually took forever to finish. Hahaha!

I started doing the core first (obviously), had to wait for my order of paracord to arrive then plaited the first belly (4 plait). Left it like that for a month or two then plaited the other belly (8 plait). I ran out of paracord to finish the overlay as I had cut my strands too short for the overlay. It was like that for months. I attached a fall and cracker to it and used it as a short whip (4.5ft) which my daughter absolutely loved to crack.

It was only a few weeks ago, after buying more paracord, that I decided to finish the overlay. But if I did the whole thing in one sitting, it would've probably took me the whole day... probably finishing around midnight or so.

Now I have to make my daughter another whip. So I'm gonna use the old paracord that was too short for the overlay on the other whip and make them into the belly. I just hope the remaining 100ft of paracord would be enough to properly cover it. I'm only gonna make a 4 - 5ft whip for my daughter anyway, so I guess that would be enough.