PDA

View Full Version : World's worst licenced indiana jones hat!

HENRY JONES JR.
02-12-2013, 04:04 AM
This has GOT to be the absolute WORST licenced Indy hat..ever.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/rareindy61_zps794f3e3a.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/rareindy62_zpsf12bf33d.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/rareindy59_zpsd818eec5.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/rareindy58_zps20f8a119.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/rareindy63_zpsb98079f9.jpg

SO.....WHAT DO YOU THINK???

fenris
02-12-2013, 11:03 AM
There are worse hats... the ones that come with Rubies costumes! Hahaha! Can't get any worse than those, I think.

HENRY JONES JR.
02-12-2013, 10:57 PM
There are worse hats... the ones that come with Rubies costumes! Hahaha! Can't get any worse than those, I think.

Really? Look at the design of this terrible hat. The pinch and bashes suck, not anywhere close to an accurate Indy hat. The ribbon is warped into the bashes. An Indiana Jones logo on the front ribbon?? Also on the front ribbon, it's printed, "TM & Copyright 2008 LFL"....on the front ribbon, are you kidding me? Who designed this hat? Better question, who would WANT this hat?

I still think over all, it's worse than Rubies (which you are correct, it does suck). This one sucks BIG TIME.

Any other comments?

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/rareindy62_zpsf12bf33d.jpg

JeffDJ
02-12-2013, 11:03 PM
It is a pretty sad looking hat. It doesn't even really look like an Indy hat. Looks like one of those knock-offs you might win as a prize at some summer fair: "Knock down the pins and win an Indiana Jones hat!" ...and that's what you get. And that ribbon...oh my. :D I suppose it might be okay for a child's first Indy hat, but certainly not for the discerning collector of Indy gear. Where did you find that gem, HJJ?

HENRY JONES JR.
02-12-2013, 11:19 PM
It is a pretty sad looking hat. It doesn't even really look like an Indy hat. Looks like one of those knock-offs you might win as a prize at some summer fair: "Knock down the pins and win an Indiana Jones hat!" ...and that's what you get. And that ribbon...oh my. :D I suppose it might be okay for a child's first Indy hat, but certainly not for the discerning collector of Indy gear. Where did you find that gem, HJJ?

It's listed on ebay right now!! C'mon, buy it. It's only $14.99 :D Nobody has bought it yet!! LOL

fenris
02-13-2013, 12:18 PM
It looks like it's been sat on or something. Hehehe.

What's it made of? The Rubies hats seem to be made of craft felt. Looking at the pic, I can't tell if it's wool or that craft felt stuff I see in most costume hats.

indydude18
02-13-2013, 04:54 PM
Well, look at it this way. If you're a 3 year-old getting this hat with your Happy Meal, you could care less right? :crazy: RIGHT?

HENRY JONES JR.
02-14-2013, 12:51 AM
It looks like it's been sat on or something. Hehehe.

What's it made of? The Rubies hats seem to be made of craft felt. Looking at the pic, I can't tell if it's wool or that craft felt stuff I see in most costume hats.

I think it's costume felt. It looks too cheap to be anything else. :D

Well, look at it this way. If you're a 3 year-old getting this hat with your Happy Meal, you could care less right? :crazy: RIGHT?

Very good point! LOL! I think the happy meal should be worth more than this hat! :D

Oildale Jones
02-14-2013, 05:38 AM
I think it's very fitting that this is an official CS hat. ;)

HENRY JONES JR.
02-14-2013, 05:45 AM
I think it's very fitting that this is an official CS hat. ;)

Almost as good as an Adventurebilt :whip: .....not! :D

Indiana Bugs
03-18-2013, 12:31 AM
I find it incredibly ironic that the worst IJ hats are the officially licensed ones, in both design and quality..

HENRY JONES JR.
03-18-2013, 01:42 AM
I find it incredibly ironic that the worst IJ hats are the officially licensed ones, in both design and quality..

I've always wondered that too, and thought about bringing it up earlier. In fact, just about any hat that is supposed to look like an Indy Style hat (most are licenced) is all wrong. I'm guessing that LUCASFILM doesn't want one that looks just like it's iconic character on purpose, to differenciate itself. His is to be special, and not like everyone else's.

Just my guess. Anyone agree?

jlee562
03-18-2013, 08:39 AM
Look at it this way, hats simply aren't produced open crown anymore. The look of the Indy hat is essentially defined by being a hand creased, open crown hat. Basically all modern production hats, outside of a handful of exceptions (Borsalino's Alessandria model for one, The Fed IV, etc), have their shapes set on pre-formed blocks. These blocks are in far greater supply, and much easier to replace (many of them, are in fact metal, and therefore much less prone to wear than old wooden hat blocks). And these hat blocks, by virtue of having post-dated the era of open crown hats, have lower, tapered crowns, as was (and is) largely the fashion of the time. Unfortunately, the common "center dent" block looks very little like a hand creased hat, but that is what is readily available to manufacturers.

The other factor to consider is that the proportions of the Indy hat really don't work on everyone. The un-tapered crown and wide brim can also be a little bit intimidating to first time hat wearers. On contrast, the lower crown height and tapered crown of the licensed hats tends to be more much forgiving with face shape. From a marketing standpoint, if you figure someone might look a bit off in the mirror with a tall crown, straight sided, wide brim hat, they might have second thoughts about buying it. But you give them something a bit more forgiving, and something that is less anachronistic in terms of style, people might be more apt to buy it.

Judging from the amount of licensed hats I saw last trip to Disneyland, from a marketing standpoint, it's hard to argue that most people care that much about the differences anyway. They sure sell those things like hot cakes.

HENRY JONES JR.
03-19-2013, 12:38 AM
Look at it this way, hats simply aren't produced open crown anymore. The look of the Indy hat is essentially defined by being a hand creased, open crown hat. Basically all modern production hats, outside of a handful of exceptions (Borsalino's Alessandria model for one, The Fed IV, etc), have their shapes set on pre-formed blocks. These blocks are in far greater supply, and much easier to replace (many of them, are in fact metal, and therefore much less prone to wear than old wooden hat blocks). And these hat blocks, by virtue of having post-dated the era of open crown hats, have lower, tapered crowns, as was (and is) largely the fashion of the time. Unfortunately, the common "center dent" block looks very little like a hand creased hat, but that is what is readily available to manufacturers.

The other factor to consider is that the proportions of the Indy hat really don't work on everyone. The un-tapered crown and wide brim can also be a little bit intimidating to first time hat wearers. On contrast, the lower crown height and tapered crown of the licensed hats tends to be more much forgiving with face shape. From a marketing standpoint, if you figure someone might look a bit off in the mirror with a tall crown, straight sided, wide brim hat, they might have second thoughts about buying it. But you give them something a bit more forgiving, and something that is less anachronistic in terms of style, people might be more apt to buy it.

Judging from the amount of licensed hats I saw last trip to Disneyland, from a marketing standpoint, it's hard to argue that most people care that much about the differences anyway. They sure sell those things like hot cakes.

I agree. I also bought an Indy hat while at Disneyland (forgot to bring a hat, and figured, what the hell). I do agree with you, However it wouldn't hurt if Lucasfilm frought out a limited edition hand creased fur felt fedora with the same standards that they use for their film hats for us Indy hat enthusiasts. They make very expensive Darth Vader and Stormtrooper supreme edition costumes and helmets... Indy fans should have a quality licenced Fedora.

Tibor
03-19-2013, 09:43 PM
This has GOT to be the absolute WORST licenced Indy hat..ever.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/rareindy63_zpsb98079f9.jpg

SO.....WHAT DO YOU THINK???

Better off to wear the bag, leave the hat for the dog to play with...

HENRY JONES JR.
03-20-2013, 03:48 AM
Better off to wear the bag, leave the hat for the dog to play with...

Dogs would prefer a higher quality hat to play with. lol

indydude18
03-20-2013, 04:44 AM
Any idea where this hat came from though? Is it being sold as a "costume hat", is it being marketed as being a toy, or an "official licensed" hat?

HENRY JONES JR.
03-20-2013, 06:09 AM
Any idea where this hat came from though? Is it being sold as a "costume hat", is it being marketed as being a toy, or an "official licensed" hat?

The hat is in ATHENS GREECE. That's pretty much all I know about it. I feel bad for those in Greece having THIS as an Indy hat.

Oildale Jones
03-20-2013, 08:58 AM
Well, here's who made it: http://www.rdp-creative.com/index.php/our-products/

Probably promo/giveaway stuff. I can't imagine that being included with a Happy Meal.

As for who is responsible... ?

JeffDJ
03-20-2013, 06:42 PM
^ Probably some evil Nazi scheme to shine a poor light on our beloved hero. Nazis...I hate those guys. ;)

HENRY JONES JR.
03-20-2013, 06:57 PM
Well, here's who made it: http://www.rdp-creative.com/index.php/our-products/

Probably promo/giveaway stuff. I can't imagine that being included with a Happy Meal.

As for who is responsible... ?

They have a "CONTACT US" section. Perhaps we should ask them why they made the very worst INDY hat ever imagined.