PDA

View Full Version : Indy's shoulder bag / satchel mkvii

HENRY JONES JR.
01-03-2013, 02:54 AM
Here's my vintage WW II MKVII (Mark Seven) bag.

I'm going to convert this into Indy's bag by adding a leather shoulder strap.

The bag itself is in perfect condition. I bought it cheaply. I've seen replicas go for more than I paid for this original bag.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/100_3682.jpg

HENRY JONES JR.
01-03-2013, 03:06 AM
Here's the maker's stamp on the inside flap.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/100_3683.jpg

Originally, when I got this bag, it smelled like something old stored in a vintage rusting metal box with grease rags around it or something. I knew I couldn't keep it smelling like that, so I filled the tub with cold water, and I put in about 1/4 of a scoop of laundry soap, mixed it up, and let it sit there fully submerged for about 1 day. When I drained the water, and removed the bag, I let it air dry for a few weeks. It now smells "clean"! I can now put my gear into it when on my adventures!

HENRY JONES JR.
01-03-2013, 03:19 AM
Here's the inside compartments that are still original to the bag.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/100_3684.jpg

I decided that I wish to keep the compartments for when I put things into them, they will be separated, like SONY WALKMAN (yeah, I'm old school) with INDIANA JONES soundtracks, food, pocket knife, map, small medical kit, keys, wallet, camera ....whatever I choose to carry on my adventures!

HENRY JONES JR.
01-03-2013, 03:35 AM
Here's the bottom of the bag. Here you can see the two metal vents on the bottom.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/100_3686.jpg

HENRY JONES JR.
01-03-2013, 03:44 AM
Here's a photo of the side disc.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/100_3685.jpg

Not really sure what this was used for....

HENRY JONES JR.
01-03-2013, 03:52 AM
This is the other side of the bag.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/100_3687.jpg

HENRY JONES JR.
01-03-2013, 04:25 AM
Here's the back of the bag.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/100_3688.jpg

It's just amazingly clean, free of marks, scrapes, rips, dirt....just a great solid bag!

HENRY JONES JR.
01-03-2013, 04:41 AM
This is where the shoulder strap is attached. The original strap is just a tad short for the average person, so I'm looking forward to replacing it with an INDY leather strap.

The metal ring appears to be an "O" ring, as some are "D" rings.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/100_3689.jpg

HENRY JONES JR.
01-03-2013, 05:02 AM
I'm thinking about getting a Todd's Indy bag strap. What is the general opinion of the Todd's strap? Is there something better out there?

Also, is it comfortable to wear the leather strap?

Gunslinger
01-03-2013, 05:34 AM
I got a Magnoli a few years ago, which was made by Todds. I thought it was crap. (They may have changed it by now.)

Either way, just contact Wade Egan. Absolutely top notch. He has no equal in the leather accessories.

oh yeah, the Todds i didnt find comfy because it was too thin andwhile wearing it it had the tendency to kind of bend through its cross-section leaving it feeling more like a rope. Wades is much more substantial and feels great to wear. (i have the ToD version)

HENRY JONES JR.
01-03-2013, 05:41 AM
O.K., how do I contact Wade Egan? Is he on ebay?

Thank you Gunslinger for responding.

-HJJ

Gunslinger
01-03-2013, 05:46 AM
No prob.

Www.wadeegan.com
He's also on Facebook.

HENRY JONES JR.
01-03-2013, 05:50 AM
Gunslinger, dude, seriously, thank you for helping me, and answering my questions! I appreciate it.

I know this guys works, as I've seen his holsters on ebay! Your right, they are VERY high quality. EXPENSIVE....but, you get what you pay for.

Thank you again!

HENRY JONES JR.
01-03-2013, 05:57 AM
O.K., another question: Chicago screw or duel nickel rivets? Grooved edge, or no grooved edge?

I want it like in Raiders.

(Actually, I'm open to the Temple of Doom version also)

Gunslinger
01-03-2013, 06:10 AM
Wade will help you get the totally SA version for whatever movie or you can customize however you want.

HENRY JONES JR.
01-03-2013, 06:20 AM
Wade will help you get the totally SA version for whatever movie or you can customize however you want.

You sold me on it! It's expensive, but I want the best, most comfortable strap for actual use adventuring! Thank you for the recommendation Gunslinger! Indy_cheers

neutronbomb
01-03-2013, 03:03 PM
I have one of Wade's ROTLA bag straps with the grooves. It's been about three years since I got it so I don't remember if the no grooves was an option at the time or not. I guess back in the day the film one was thought to have grooves, but that thinking has now changed since the IMAX and Blue-Ray releases. Like Gunslinger mentioned, you can choose either with Wade depending on which you prefer.

I also like his products. The strap is very comfortable to wear for me. Just a warning though on first appearances. When the strap arrived I thought it looked and felt like cardboard. Like it was cheap. I then broke it in by applying loads of pecards and rolling and twisting the strap with my hands and working the pecards in and suddenly it completely changed the appearance and feel of the strap. I was discussing this with another gear head a few years ago and told him of my first initial mistaken impressions and he said he had the same experience. Thought it was cheap and cardboardy. He said he contacted Wade and told him so and hurt his feelings and then after working with it and applying pecards realized that he was also wrong. It actually is a very good leather. Wade uses good stuff. I also have a holster from him. He custom made it to fit a Springfield 45. He bought a replica in order to get the fit correct. Great customer service. I also recommend Wade.

After I applied pecards and worked it in, I immediately started wearing it. It left stain marks on my shirt(s) for a few weeks until it was completely absorbed and dry. No problems of course since then, and it seems the stains went away after a wash. Anyway, if you choose to oil the strap you may want to let it completely dry and wear with an old shirt you don't care about until it stops leaving marks.

Gunslinger
01-03-2013, 09:22 PM
Yes it's a pleasure to deal with someone who is a great crafsman but who also uses REAL leather. Mine didn't feel cardboardy, but I got the ToD, which was very wrinkly and just great straight out of the box. Very nice, super thick solid cowhide. Love it.

Indiana Bugs
01-04-2013, 12:51 AM
This is where the shoulder strap is attached. The original strap is just a tad short for the average person, so I'm looking forward to replacing it with an INDY leather strap.

It seems short because the original way of wearing a MkVII was around your neck so you could get the gas mask out and on quickly in the event of an air raid gas attack.

HENRY JONES JR.
01-04-2013, 12:55 AM
I have one of Wade's ROTLA bag straps with the grooves. It's been about three years since I got it so I don't remember if the no grooves was an option at the time or not. I guess back in the day the film one was thought to have grooves, but that thinking has now changed since the IMAX and Blue-Ray releases. Like Gunslinger mentioned, you can choose either with Wade depending on which you prefer.

I also like his products. The strap is very comfortable to wear for me. Just a warning though on first appearances. When the strap arrived I thought it looked and felt like cardboard. Like it was cheap. I then broke it in by applying loads of pecards and rolling and twisting the strap with my hands and working the pecards in and suddenly it completely changed the appearance and feel of the strap. I was discussing this with another gear head a few years ago and told him of my first initial mistaken impressions and he said he had the same experience. Thought it was cheap and cardboardy. He said he contacted Wade and told him so and hurt his feelings and then after working with it and applying pecards realized that he was also wrong. It actually is a very good leather. Wade uses good stuff. I also have a holster from him. He custom made it to fit a Springfield 45. He bought a replica in order to get the fit correct. Great customer service. I also recommend Wade.

After I applied pecards and worked it in, I immediately started wearing it. It left stain marks on my shirt(s) for a few weeks until it was completely absorbed and dry. No problems of course since then, and it seems the stains went away after a wash. Anyway, if you choose to oil the strap you may want to let it completely dry and wear with an old shirt you don't care about until it stops leaving marks.

Again, I know this is the right place to be, as so many members here have so much experience, and willing to share it. I have product that I use for my leather WWII flight jackets (it has lanolin and mink oil) so I'll most likely use that. It makes things buttery soft. I appreciate your advice on the idea of letting it dry before wearing it, then, wear an old shirt in case it causes stains. I'll take that advice!! Thanks NeutronBomb! :goodjob:

HENRY JONES JR.
01-04-2013, 01:01 AM
It seems short because the original way of wearing a MkVII was around your neck so you could get the gas mask out and on quickly in the event of an air raid gas attack.

Interesting knowledge. Thanks for sharing that Indiana Bugs! I was thinking about keeping the original strap because I thought it may be more comfortible to wear, but it was a bit short for that, and I bought the bag as an INDY bag, not a War collectible, so I'll replace it. Still trying to make up my mind if I want a Raiders, or TOD style strap.

neutronbomb
01-04-2013, 12:02 PM
I know when I got mine that Wade offered for a bit more money the Raiders strap pre-aged where he worked it by hand himself. I wonder if he did that for your TOD strap.

Yes it's a pleasure to deal with someone who is a great crafsman but who also uses REAL leather. Mine didn't feel cardboardy, but I got the ToD, which was very wrinkly and just great straight out of the box. Very nice, super thick solid cowhide. Love it.

@HJJ yeah it's a tough decision. I would say that you have to decide what kind of a guy you are. The kind that really wants to replicate gear from Raiders as close as possible or the kind of guy that's happy mixing and matching to his visual preference. Not always, but I've found many times this translates to whether someone wants the gear for display or for wearing occasionally as an "exact" costume and really only they will ever care or really appreciate it vs making it part of their daily wardrobe and wearing what they like since it's likely no one who ever sees them is going to know the difference anyway. I'm both actually, but really wanted to replicate the Raiders gear as closely as I could across the board so I went that route. However, I find myself wearing Tony's personal CS jacket a lot for everyday. I don't know why since I dislike the way Indy's wardrobe looks in CS. Maybe because it's made from the same batch of hides that the film was and made by the original maker and I think that's cool, but more likely it's because it's actually a great jacket on its own and I've just wound up liking to wear it. I also prefer the look of the darker leathers in TOD personally.

I suspect most people wind up happier in the long run with mixing and matching gear they like and visually prefer and incorporating it into their own personal wardrobe that sees active use than in simply attaining an "exact" costume to cross off their bucket list. Some of those guys work so hard to complete it only to sell the whole shebang a short time later. Unless of course you're wired to be more of a pure collector and enjoy displaying props.

So I'd say unless you're one of those particular types of collectors, to buy what you're most visually attracted to. Keeping in mind that from what I can tell for the most part wardrobe put together the costume in the movies as a coherent visually pleasing design with the trim more or less matching each other and complimenting the base. For instance, to me it looks like in Raiders the bag strap, holster, and jacket have some reddish color tones. Whereas in TOD the bag strap, holster, and jacket look to me to be a much darker color. This is the trim. With the base of course being the hat, shirt, and pants.

crismans
01-04-2013, 07:38 PM
I agree with NB on this. It's what you want from the gear. If you are a pure collector, then you might want to match the costume from whatever movie best floats your boat. If you're going to be wearing it daily, then I would just go with what you like best.

I'm a little of both but tend to go more toward what I would use. To that end, it's mainly the jacket and hat and then the bag since I wouldn't wear the whole shebang unless it was Halloween or something.

Weston
01-05-2013, 02:34 AM
Man, that bag was an excellent find. I have an original as well, but not in anywhere near as good shape as yours is. Very nice!

HENRY JONES JR.
01-05-2013, 03:24 AM
@HJJ yeah it's a tough decision. I would say that you have to decide what kind of a guy you are. The kind that really wants to replicate gear from Raiders as close as possible or the kind of guy that's happy mixing and matching to his visual preference. Not always, but I've found many times this translates to whether someone wants the gear for display or for wearing occasionally as an "exact" costume and really only they will ever care or really appreciate it vs making it part of their daily wardrobe and wearing what they like since it's likely no one who ever sees them is going to know the difference anyway. I'm both actually, but really wanted to replicate the Raiders gear as closely as I could across the board so I went that route. However, I find myself wearing Tony's personal CS jacket a lot for everyday. I don't know why since I dislike the way Indy's wardrobe looks in CS. Maybe because it's made from the same batch of hides that the film was and made by the original maker and I think that's cool, but more likely it's because it's actually a great jacket on its own and I've just wound up liking to wear it. I also prefer the look of the darker leathers in TOD personally.

I suspect most people wind up happier in the long run with mixing and matching gear they like and visually prefer and incorporating it into their own personal wardrobe that sees active use than in simply attaining an "exact" costume to cross off their bucket list. Some of those guys work so hard to complete it only to sell the whole shebang a short time later. Unless of course you're wired to be more of a pure collector and enjoy displaying props.

So I'd say unless you're one of those particular types of collectors, to buy what you're most visually attracted to. Keeping in mind that from what I can tell for the most part wardrobe put together the costume in the movies as a coherent visually pleasing design with the trim more or less matching each other and complimenting the base. For instance, to me it looks like in Raiders the bag strap, holster, and jacket have some reddish color tones. Whereas in TOD the bag strap, holster, and jacket look to me to be a much darker color. This is the trim. With the base of course being the hat, shirt, and pants.

Good point. I can go both ways I suppose, when it comes to mixing and matching. I guess I lean more in the "stolen off the set" crowd, and love it to look as close to SA as possible. I think I'll get the Raiders strap (without grooves). If I choose to use a leather sofener (like my very trusty mink oil with lanolin cream), it will make it appear a tad bit darker at first, but won't stay that way.

I love learning from you guys!

HENRY JONES JR.
01-05-2013, 03:35 AM
I agree with NB on this. It's what you want from the gear. If you are a pure collector, then you might want to match the costume from whatever movie best floats your boat. If you're going to be wearing it daily, then I would just go with what you like best.

I'm a little of both but tend to go more toward what I would use. To that end, it's mainly the jacket and hat and then the bag since I wouldn't wear the whole shebang unless it was Halloween or something.

Yeah, that makes sense.

I have the U.S. WINGS 30th Anniversary antique lambskin legend Indy Jacket (which I love!), and the cowhide signature series collectors edition vintage cowhide (too heavy for me, I never wear it, although it looks great) a bullwhip (o.k. to the average person, but not close to the real deal) two Herbert Johnson fedoras, and the shoulder bag. Still don't have any of the other gear yet.

I can see me wearing the shirt and pants, perhaps with the hat, but no jacket. Or the hat and jacket, but like you, I'd never wear all of them at one time unless it was a costume. I DO plan to wear the hat and the shoulder bag on hikes, tours, etc.

I think I'll go with the Raiders strap, as I seem to be going the way of ROTLA in the way of clothes and props. Raiders is my favorite Indy movie.

HENRY JONES JR.
01-05-2013, 03:41 AM
Man, that bag was an excellent find. I have an original as well, but not in anywhere near as good shape as yours is. Very nice!

Thank you! I must admit, I got lucky. I seem to have luck when I buy right before Christmas, as people are looking to buy Christmas gifts, and can't afford them, and other cool collector stuff as well. Plus, people are distracted during the Holidays, so I take advantage of that.

It was amazingly clean to start with (except for the heavy musty smell), but when I soaked it in water (submerging it with laudry powdered detergent) for a day, and let it dry, it looks super clean, and smells like it was new. It has a clean, out of the clothes dryer smell (I let it air dry). The condition was perfect to start with, now it smells clean!

HENRY JONES JR.
02-16-2013, 05:35 AM
Let's look inside my INDY SATCHEL, and see how I use it on hikes, and what's inside!

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/100_3845_zpsc5553dc5.jpg

This section holds my CD's (only Indiana Jones film soundtracks!)

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/100_3846_zps8bc499ed.jpg

This one holds my CD player and batteries (Hey, I'm 46, so I'm old school)

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/100_3847_zpsda4c5a8d.jpg

This section holds my camera (It's empty because obviously, I'm using the camera for the photo! I'm not always old school, as my camera is digital)

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/100_3848_zps07bc332d.jpg

And finally, these last two compartments hold my Granola/energy bars.

Just take'in a break.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/100_3850_zps2d283027.jpg

JeffDJ
02-16-2013, 12:27 PM
The camera compartment looks like the perfect size for a Sankara stone if you happened to stumble upon one in your travels. You never know, right? :D

JeffDJ
02-16-2013, 06:52 PM
HJJ, I remember when my Mark VII bag looked as...well, not nearly as good as yours, but a fair sight better than it does now. It's really taken a hit where the O-rings are. In the first pic you can see the ring is literally being held in place by 6 threads. The rest of that area has deteriorated almost completely!

http://imageshack.us/a/img46/8907/indybag1.jpg

Here's the other side:
http://imageshack.us/a/img855/8427/indybag2.jpg

And here's another shot showing the stencilling on the inside of the flap and what seems to be the rank(?) & name of the original owner at the bottom of the image. (I'm assuming "L/A" is a rank, though I couldn't find anything on Google. Closest I found was "L/Cpl", so I have no idea what L/A could be).
http://imageshack.us/a/img706/3295/indybag3.jpg

HENRY JONES JR.
02-17-2013, 03:43 AM
The camera compartment looks like the perfect size for a Sankara stone if you happened to stumble upon one in your travels. You never know, right? :D

LOL! The space for the CD player would be big enough to hold my Golden Idol!

HJJ, I remember when my Mark VII bag looked as...well, not nearly as good as yours, but a fair sight better than it does now. It's really taken a hit where the O-rings are. In the first pic you can see the ring is literally being held in place by 6 threads. The rest of that area has deteriorated almost completely!

http://imageshack.us/a/img46/8907/indybag1.jpg

Here's the other side:
http://imageshack.us/a/img855/8427/indybag2.jpg

And here's another shot showing the stencilling on the inside of the flap and what seems to be the rank(?) & name of the original owner at the bottom of the image. (I'm assuming "L/A" is a rank, though I couldn't find anything on Google. Closest I found was "L/Cpl", so I have no idea what L/A could be).
http://imageshack.us/a/img706/3295/indybag3.jpg

JeffDJ, I'm so glad you took pictures to show your Indy bag! Thank you! Yeah, well, perhaps it's time for a new bag. Looks like you gave it some good use. Mine was mint when I bought it. I felt kind of bad cutting off the original shoulder strap, as I collect Military items, as I preserve them, but I did it because there was no reason for me to buy it if I didn't use it. Also, if I didn't use it as an indy bag, someone else would have bought it and turned it into one anyway. There were tons made, but they are getting harder to come by now, because Indy fans like us keep buying them and altering them.

HENRY JONES JR.
02-21-2013, 12:04 AM
BEWARE!! THIS COULD HAPPEN TO YOU!

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/100_3886_zps5140c94e.jpg

Part of the fabric that holds the metal O ring fell apart. I started a hike today wearing my bag. Thankfully, I was only about 50 yards from my car when the strap holder broke. I couldn't believe it! I was a bit shocked. It's only the second time I have used it!

The bag is in mint, unused condition, yet the fabric holding the O ring came apart without warning. Not sure if it already had a flaw, (can't image having too much weight in it, as I don't cary much) or wasn't sewed on correctly, or it simply is too fragile. After all, according the the 1942 date stamped on it, it is 71 years old!

I went to a trusted fabric store and had the lady there help me pick out a thread that would be right for fixing it. She suggested I remove the fabric that held the O RING, but because it's an Indy bag, I told her I couldn't do that, but will simply sew it back really well, and I will renforce it, and will do the same with the other side.

Let this be a lesson to us all. I think this may infact be the weakest part of the bag. Take all nessary precautions when using them for adventuring purposes.

neutronbomb
02-21-2013, 02:13 AM
Already has happened to me. With mine the strap got caught on the gearshift. Haven't got it fixed yet. I have a second I've been using. Been waiting til I figure out how to replace the buckle on a wade Egan strap.

HENRY JONES JR.
02-21-2013, 02:52 AM
Already has happened to me. With mine the strap got caught on the gearshift. Haven't got it fixed yet. I have a second I've been using. Been waiting til I figure out how to replace the buckle on a wade Egan strap.

Thankfully, I have fixed mine now. I just sewed it securely in place, and then I re enforced the other side, just in case. That appears to be the bags weak link. It was only meant to carry a light weight gas mask, and wasn't intended to carry anything with weight to it. Also, it wasn't designed to last 71 years and counting! The bag itself is very strong. If it ever comes apart again (I don't think it will now that I sewed it in place, and strengthened it with stitches) I think I'll use part of an Indy military web belt in the same color as the O RING holder!

I stitched it everywhere for strength. I used every available space. Well...not into space, into the space between spaces. (tried to find a way to work that in. ;)!)

Louisianna James
02-21-2013, 02:55 AM

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/100_3886_zps5140c94e.jpg

Part of the fabric that holds the metal O ring fell apart. I started a hike today wearing my bag. Thankfully, I was only about 50 yards from my car when the strap holder broke. I couldn't believe it! I was a bit shocked. It's only the second time I have used it!

The bag is in mint, unused condition, yet the fabric holding the O ring came apart without warning. Not sure if it already had a flaw, (can't image having too much weight in it, as I don't cary much) or wasn't sewed on correctly, or it simply is too fragile. After all, according the the 1942 date stamped on it, it is 71 years old!

I went to a trusted fabric store and had the lady there help me pick out a thread that would be right for fixing it. She suggested I remove the fabric that held the O RING, but because it's an Indy bag, I told her I couldn't do that, but will simply sew it back really well, and I will renforce it, and will do the same with the other side.

Let this be a lesson to us all. I think this may infact be the weakest part of the bag. Take all nessary precautions when using them for adventuring purposes.

I can tell from that bag that you've been encountering an villain on a broken bridge and chanting some magic words and made burning sacred jewels burn through that bag and burns the villain hands and falls to his fate, thats what i was probably assuming :D.

"you betrayed Shiva, tum Shiva ke, tum Shiva Skchateo, YOU BETRAYED SHIVA!!!!"
-an angry Indiana Jones :D

HENRY JONES JR.
02-21-2013, 03:17 AM
I can tell from that bag that you've been encountering an villain on a broken bridge and chanting some magic words and made burning sacred jewels burn through that bag and burns the villain hands and falls to his fate, thats what i was probably assuming :D.

"you betrayed Shiva, tum Shiva ke, tum Shiva Skchateo, YOU BETRAYED SHIVA!!!!"
-an angry Indiana Jones :D

Dude! How did you know?? I was afraid to say anything for fear nobody would believe me, but it's true!!

JeffDJ
02-21-2013, 03:19 AM

Wow, that is surprising, HJJ! Your bag looked in such great condition. Although at 70+ years, I guess in this case it probably was the years, rather than the mileage. Ha! :whip:

HENRY JONES JR.
02-21-2013, 03:21 AM
wow, that is surprising, hjj! Your bag looked in such great condition. Although at 70+ years, i guess in this case it probably was the years, rather than the mileage. Ha! :whip:

lol! You nailed it!! :D :goodjob:

deadseascrolls
02-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Wade Egan offers a service to accurately repair these bags. He's sourced out the exact same material/color/etc and reinforces them when he fixes them. Seeing as you're in Canada, it may cost a bit more to ship it down to him, but I guarantee it'll be worth it if you really like your bag and want it truly to last for ages. His work is impeccable!

JeffDJ
02-21-2013, 04:16 PM
^ Cool, thanks for the tip. I may have to look into that! :)

HENRY JONES JR.
02-22-2013, 03:35 AM
Wade Egan offers a service to accurately repair these bags. He's sourced out the exact same material/color/etc and reinforces them when he fixes them. Seeing as you're in Canada, it may cost a bit more to ship it down to him, but I guarantee it'll be worth it if you really like your bag and want it truly to last for ages. His work is impeccable!

This is good to know! Great information, and it's posted in the right thread. Hopefully, other members who have an interest in these bags will read this info on this thread.

Thanks for sharing this information!

HENRY JONES JR.
02-28-2013, 05:29 AM
OH CRAP!! NOT AGAIN! HERE WE GO AGAIN...

The strap holder that broke (and I thought I fixed) broke again on today's hike.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/100_3928_zpsccd721ac.jpg

I then hooked the strap to the one remaining good strap holder, and after about 100 yards....it also broke!

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/100_3931_zpsd683ea5c.jpg

I was five miles away from my car, and now I was holding my bag.

I'm going to replace these O RING straps completely myself, and do it right. After all, they are ripped, and can't be repaired any longer. It may have weakened over it's 71 years due to chemicals, UV rays, or just because it's really, really old and brittle.

Other than that, it was a nice day, and a nice hike.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/100_3922_zps19a373a6.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/100_3924_zps816f0ff8.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/100_3925_zps2f1e220f.jpg

JeffDJ
02-28-2013, 12:40 PM
Oh man, that sucks with the double-whammy break! Good luck with the repair (again!). And it did look like a very nice day for a hike. Hopefully there weren't any Thuggee guards on the other side of the bridge! :D

DocWeeks
02-28-2013, 02:58 PM
Oh man, that sucks with the double-whammy break! Good luck with the repair (again!). And it did look like a very nice day for a hike. Hopefully there weren't any Thuggee guards on the other side of the bridge! :D

Yeah, good luck chopping that bridge down.

HENRY JONES JR.
03-01-2013, 04:09 AM

Yeah, good luck chopping that bridge down.

Luckily, there were British troops on the other side, and they shot them all with their rifles. ;)

HENRY JONES JR.
03-12-2013, 05:15 AM
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/rareindy78_zps21ee6cc3.jpg

LOL!

JeffDJ
03-12-2013, 12:53 PM
In other words, it's not a "man purse"! :D

Indiana Bugs
03-17-2013, 11:44 PM
The webbing is considerably more fragile than the bag material, itself. Once they rip like that, they are irreparable.

HENRY JONES JR.
03-18-2013, 01:44 AM
The webbing is considerably more fragile than the bag material, itself. Once they rip like that, they are irreparable.

Yep. I'm going to replace the webbing with a sturtier fabric. Most likely the webbing from a web belt like Indy wore. That won't rip.

Indiana Bugs
03-27-2013, 05:42 PM
And when the bag eventually fails completely, get a replica from a place such as What Price Glory. I've had mine for about 5 years no and it's still going strong. I wear it every day. The back is beginning to get a small hole where it rubs against me, which I'm gonna patch with an iron-on. Other than that, it's in great shape.

HENRY JONES JR.
03-27-2013, 06:06 PM
And when the bag eventually fails completely, get a replica from a place such as What Price Glory. I've had mine for about 5 years no and it's still going strong. I wear it every day. The back is beginning to get a small hole where it rubs against me, which I'm gonna patch with an iron-on. Other than that, it's in great shape.

I'll consider it, but I prefer to use an original. The canvas is in unused, perfect shape, and I see no reason to not use it now. The webbing was weak after 70+ years, but the canvas is too nice to now not use (I only bought it a little while ago). The replicas I've seen capture the spirit of the original, but are usually the wrong color, and the front snaps have designs on them etc.. I'm going to sew on new, super strong straps. When I'm done with it, it will function like new!

HENRY JONES JR.
04-23-2013, 02:33 AM
Here's a few more photos of some of the places I visited wearing my Indy satchel and Fedora. As usual, I haven't figured out a way to work in photos of my hat and satchel on these adventures, as I go alone.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_3932_zps8f0a6f9b.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/steven-spielberg/media/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_3932_zps8f0a6f9b.jpg.html)

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_3842_zps051ce4a8.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/steven-spielberg/media/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_3842_zps051ce4a8.jpg.html)

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4044_zpsd8c2b296.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/steven-spielberg/media/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4044_zpsd8c2b296.jpg.html)

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4045_zpsdc6917de.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/steven-spielberg/media/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4045_zpsdc6917de.jpg.html)
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4049_zps593452ff.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/steven-spielberg/media/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4049_zps593452ff.jpg.html)
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4051_zpsb16797df.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/steven-spielberg/media/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4051_zpsb16797df.jpg.html)
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4052_zps6d7fd671.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/steven-spielberg/media/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4052_zps6d7fd671.jpg.html)
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4073_zps366a91fc.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/steven-spielberg/media/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4073_zps366a91fc.jpg.html)
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4075_zps99fb5b0e.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/steven-spielberg/media/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4075_zps99fb5b0e.jpg.html)
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4078_zps91fb8934.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/steven-spielberg/media/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4078_zps91fb8934.jpg.html)
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4079_zpse49e81d0.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/steven-spielberg/media/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4079_zpse49e81d0.jpg.html)
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4080_zps4fc018fb.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/steven-spielberg/media/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4080_zps4fc018fb.jpg.html)
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4081_zps655c65b8.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/steven-spielberg/media/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4081_zps655c65b8.jpg.html)
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4082_zps85558a26.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/steven-spielberg/media/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4082_zps85558a26.jpg.html)
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4077_zps2b61ac4f.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/steven-spielberg/media/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4077_zps2b61ac4f.jpg.html)

Tenured Professor
04-23-2013, 10:33 PM
Henry Jones Jr., That bridge in your picture sure looks familiar. Is that over the American river near Sacramento State University
by chance? The bike trail looks like the one near there too......ahhh college!!:drink:

HENRY JONES JR.
04-23-2013, 11:17 PM
Henry Jones Jr., That bridge in your picture sure looks familiar. Is that over the American river near Sacramento State University
by chance? The bike trail looks like the one near there too......ahhh college!!:drink:

That's the very one!

Many of the photos on this thread are on the American River Bike Trail. It's fantastic! I walk on both sides of the river (one side is just the levy, and not paved for bikes. I don't own a bike, so I hike it. It takes days in order to hike the 30 plus miles, so I start at one point, walk it, and then the next time, pick up where I left off.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4049_zps593452ff.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/steven-spielberg/media/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4049_zps593452ff.jpg.html)

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4050_zpseee1e470.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/steven-spielberg/media/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4050_zpseee1e470.jpg.html)

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4046_zps5390d124.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/steven-spielberg/media/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4046_zps5390d124.jpg.html)

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4048_zps96898f6f.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/steven-spielberg/media/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4048_zps96898f6f.jpg.html)

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4047_zpsaa3ee89d.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/steven-spielberg/media/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4047_zpsaa3ee89d.jpg.html)

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4053_zps60e766f1.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/steven-spielberg/media/newest%20photos/brand%20new%20photos/100_4053_zps60e766f1.jpg.html)

Tenured Professor
04-23-2013, 11:36 PM
I had a feeling..:D It looks a little more faded since I went there....Jeez, that's what..17 years ago!! ?? I transferred to San Francisco state after that, but sure do miss Ol' Sac town. We used to ride all the way out to Folsom lake on that trail. Thanks for the memoriesIndy_cheers

HENRY JONES JR.
04-23-2013, 11:49 PM
I had a feeling..:D It looks a little more faded since I went there....Jeez, that's what..17 years ago!! ?? I transferred to San Francisco state after that, but sure do miss Ol' Sac town. We used to ride all the way out to Folsom lake on that trail. Thanks for the memoriesIndy_cheers

Yeah, but now, if you live in the San Fran area, you can see the REAL Golden Gate Bridge, and not just the small Sacramento copy! Indy_cheers LOL! It is a bit faded isn't it?

I think the trail ends at Beals Point at Folsom Lake.

Good times! :drink:

Tenured Professor
04-24-2013, 12:01 AM
Actually I left the city by the bay for Seattle a few years back. Miss it, but I get back there a couple times a year. Yeah, I actually grew up in Granite Bay, so I know Beals point quite intimately:D Spent many summer days there. Last time I went to Folsom, it looked like a sad muddy pit. :o Those were the days when I used one of my moms old brown purses as a satchel!!!:D Hey, I did put a rifle sling on it that I bought at Wild Sports up on Greenback though!;) That place still there? Man, memory lane here!!! Thanks junior!!:toast:

HENRY JONES JR.
04-24-2013, 12:10 AM
OMG! That is SOOOOOO funny that you mentioned Wild Sports, it just burned down just a few days ago!!!!! Can you believe that? Funny that you brought it up.

Those in Sacramento want to keep the Kings, and Seattle wants our team. This is looking like a soap opera now. They should just give Seattle a brand new expansion team, and everyone will be happy.

Does all the rain in Seattle bother you?

Tenured Professor
04-24-2013, 12:21 AM
Ahhh man, that sucks for Wild Sports!!!!:wtf: Used to go there pretty frequently!! Nah, it doesn't rain as much in Seattle as people lead you to believe. You get the occasional shower, but it doesn't really get to me. I like all the green mountains and water myself. It's not unlike San Fran weather actually. Just gotta layer!!;D I dunno about them Kings, man...I'd say they're on their way up here!! I'm heading out of work for the day, but thanks again for the Sac update, Junior! Catch you later!:whip:

HENRY JONES JR.
04-24-2013, 12:29 AM
Ahhh man, that sucks for Wild Sports!!!!:wtf: Used to go there pretty frequently!! Nah, it doesn't rain as much in Seattle as people lead you to believe. You get the occasional shower, but it doesn't really get to me. I like all the green mountains and water myself. It's not unlike San Fran weather actually. Just gotta layer!!;D I dunno about them Kings, man...I'd say they're on their way up here!! I'm heading out of work for the day, but thanks again for the Sac update, Junior! Catch you later!:whip:

I looked it up, and I was thankfully wrong, it was ADVENTURE SPORTS on Ardern and WATT that went up in flames.
http://blogs.sacbee.com/mt/mt-search.cgi?IncludeBlogs=36&search=adventure+sports&keywords=adventure+sports&aff=5

I'll make a gentlemen's bet with you that the Kings will stay. I truly believe they will. We did everything the NBA asked of us, and we matched the offer. Also, the NBA hates moving teams. Who knows.... We'll just have to see!

HENRY JONES JR.
04-30-2013, 12:34 AM
I dunno about them Kings, man...I'd say they're on their way up here!! I'm heading out of work for the day, but thanks again for the Sac update, Junior! Catch you later!:whip:

I'll make a gentlemen's bet with you that the Kings will stay. I truly believe they will. We did everything the NBA asked of us, and we matched the offer. Also, the NBA hates moving teams. Who knows.... We'll just have to see!

GO KINGS!!!

The NBA owners' committee voted to unanimously recommend that the Kings stay in Sacramento.

HENRY JONES JR.
12-17-2014, 05:13 AM
Can anyone recommend a satchel bag strap that WON'T bleed onto a shirt when one sweats on long hikes? The cheap one I bought keeps staining the shirt with it's strap dye. I've grown tired of constantly cleaning my indy shirts, and fear wearing the strap and bag with any other shirt for fear or staining it.

For recommendations, I know there are several out there, but my main objective is looking authentic, AND WILL NOT STAIN A SHIRT by tranfering leather strap dye to a shirt if it's hot out and you sweat on you long hot adventures.

Please, I need several recommendations by different members, and would be interested if there is one that really stands out from experience.

Thanks,

HENRY JONES JR.

Kt Templar
12-17-2014, 09:30 PM
One way to minimise the problem is to seal the back of the strap. I've used PVA glue in the past to good effect. Give it a go, can't hurt.

There are many higher cost strap makers out there but I've never bought one TBH!

JeffDJ
12-18-2014, 07:55 PM
I don't go on sweaty adventures so I haven't encountered your problem yet, HJJ, however the strap from Todd's is very nice and has that great Raiders look. I don't know how it would hold up to the dye-bleeding issue though.

HENRY JONES JR.
12-19-2014, 03:25 AM
I'd like some more suggestions from members on this. I'm gonna shy away from todds at the moment, as they have messed up my order on my first two trys, so I'd like to try someone else. I'll consider PVA glue, as that may be a good option, but I'd like some more suggestions for venders that sell straps that don't have dye bleeding transfers to my shirts. When it's hot out in summer, like 100 degrees out, and I'm out on mountain hikes, (I really use it on day adventures, and not just as a costume) I sweat quite a bit, and it's just horrible what the strap dye does to my clothes. You can see right where the strap was on my shirt, front and back.

Does anyone own a strap that won't do this due to personal experience?

KidHuevos
12-20-2014, 02:41 AM
I don't know how much good this is, but my bag & strap is from What Price Glory.

http://whatpriceglory.com/shopexd.asp?id=2251&bc=no

I've had my satchel since 2004, and it has not ever stained (and I've been on some high-heat hikes), but I've never colored it- but you'll notice my strap is a red color, not screen accurate. However, the strap in the link reportedly is Dark Brown. This might be what you're looking for. :)

HENRY JONES JR.
12-20-2014, 03:45 AM
Thanks! This is what I want, everyone to chime in with what they suggest, and the experiences they have with thier bag straps. More suggestions everyone, please.

HENRY JONES JR.
12-22-2014, 02:20 AM
Still need help with suggestions.

Brave Starr
12-22-2014, 02:48 AM
Hi Henry,

I have two bags, one original WWII bought at a local surplus store in New Zealand (strap added later) in 1999 and two bought from Magnoli Clothiers (2014). The first bag from Magnoli I ordered with the strap and the second without! The strap was great in colour however I found it to lightweight and flimsy which made it to not sit snug through the slide buckle. I then polished it to make it make it a tad darker (ROTL look rather than LC) which was a bad idea, the wax would melt on hot days and leave a mark.
The original bag I got I had a strap added at a local leather shop, nice light brown leather which I only oiled from time to time and never left any marks. The magnoli bags are great in design & colour, however the canvas are a bit soft and can tear easier than normal army canvas.
The most recent bag I got from Magnoli I had the snaps removed (the snaps they come with have rings inside them) and had new rounded brass snaps installed to make it more SA and also for the strap I went to the saddlery and guy gave me a leather strap for free! Beautiful dark brown cow leather. My suggestions is don't polish it but get the colour strap you want in the first place and just oil it.

HENRY JONES JR.
12-23-2014, 02:31 AM
Thank you Frederick for your info and story. I appreciate it. Welcome to the site!

I need more suggestions from members before I can decide what is the best course for me to take. I just simply need something that won't bleed dye onto a shirt. My belts don't bleed color, this can't be too tough of a request. I'm still hoping for some of the more experienced members to chime in on this with strap recommendations, and where to get ones that don't transfer color on a shirt.

Gunslinger
12-25-2014, 11:11 AM
Wade Egan all the way. But I'm not sure that he's making them anymore, so if you can score one secondhand, that's what I'd suggest.

HENRY JONES JR.
12-26-2014, 02:22 AM
I've heard it's one of the very best! Do you know from experience that the color dye won't transfer onto clothes, even if sweating during the summer?

Gunslinger
12-26-2014, 08:14 AM
Yes I can only speak to my own experience but I have had nothing but good experiences from his belts /straps from daily (non costuming) use.

HENRY JONES JR.
12-26-2014, 04:36 PM
Thanks! ....now I need to see if I can locate him, and see if he still makes them.

HENRY JONES JR.
12-26-2014, 08:27 PM
Gunslinger, can't find him. I did find this about him...

http://www.therpf.com/f9/where-wade-egan-192213/

https://www.etsy.com/shop/wadeegan

Guess he's not doing it anymore. Couldn't find anything current either.

What's the next best satchel strap suggestion?

HENRY JONES JR.
12-29-2014, 04:09 AM
I decided to have one custom made for me by MAKEITJONES. He was willing to help with my strap dye bleed problem. I explained my problem, and asked if he could make mine without dye on the back, and no dye on the sides. I also asked for size Medium which would be right for me as I'm about 5' 7"- 8".

Didn't know he was a member here, but he's gotten very good reviews here!

http://www.fortuneandglory.org/threads/2253-Welcome-to-F-amp-G-makeitjones-!-!-!-!?highlight=makeitjones

I'll let you know how mine turns out!

HENRY JONES JR.
01-11-2015, 06:04 AM
I recieved my MAKEITJONES leather satchel bag strap today. It was made by MAKEITJONES out of the UK. The reviews of his work and products on this site were excellent, so I wanted to see if I would get the same results.

When I ordered my strap on ebay, I asked him if he could customize it for me. He immediately wrote me back and said he could. I described that I wanted it Medium in length, no dye on the back, or on the sides, and I'd like it to be the Raiders of the Lost Ark strap color.

He delivered!

First of all, when I opened the package, the strap was tied together with a thin leather strap of it's own to keep it wound up in the shipping bag. Pretty classy I must say. Not sure if he does that for everyone, but I was sure impressed. I then looked at the leather. It was a thick, strong, and high quality leather (unlike the cheap, thin crap I bought from a competitor). It smelled leathery, and brand new (I love the smell of leather!) It wasn't too thick or thin. It was just right.

MAKEITJONES also included all three styles of strap buckles so you can customize it anyway you wish! What an added bonus! The buckles were made of a high quality solid metal.

The dye color was a very nice Raiders brown color.

How was my overall impression of his work? He exceeded my expectations.

His communication was excellent, and even sent me a notification on ebay to let me know when he sent it.

This is a man who knows his craft, and will customize it if you request it.

He makes his straps with high quality leather.

If your looking for a strap for your Indy Satchel MKVII, look no further than MAKEITJONES.

https://sites.google.com/site/makeitjones//indiana-jones-gear

His web address is above, and he works in the UK.

Thank you David for your wonderful job, and top quality craftsmenship.

It's nice to know there is still someone out there that knows how to do it right!

He comes highly recommended by me,

HENRY JONES JR.

makeitjones
02-18-2015, 10:12 PM
Many thanks for the kind words - always glad to hear my gear fits the bill.

The bit of leather round straps and belts is standard for me - it's a nice little touch and if there's one thing I have a lot of it's little bits of leather!

Happy to accommodate custom requests wherever possible - that's the benefit of being small scale and making everything from scratch to order.