PDA

View Full Version : Marketing Picture Question

Kredepops
07-19-2012, 10:10 AM
So did anyone receive this with your jacket?

http://s15.postimage.org/sbaj63657/IMG_2457.jpg

Reason I'm asking is that I'm the artist who drew the picture and Bill Kelso didn't bother to ask for permission to use it. I'm a bit angry because it's only been posted on Sideshow collector's forum and it's quite easy to contact me through that forum here's my original post: http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81588.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/Kredepops/Indiana%20Jones%20collection/concept%20drawings/LC_premium.jpg

The image has also been clumsily edited to remove the machinegun and so has my signature - oddly enough. Yeah it's *just* a drawing but drawing and painting is my livelihood, and they are using my work to sell some pretty expensive jackets, and I don't get a dime or any recognizion. Making a living doing this is hard enough as it is without people stealing your artwork.

I've written to them, asking for some sort of compensation or that they at least stop using my art. You can't just rip any image from the net and use for your own gain. It just doesn't work that way.

PLATON
07-19-2012, 10:54 AM
Hi,
Nice that you brought this up. I have close ties with Bill Kelso and enquired about this matter. They say that the picture they use (the one shown on top of the jacket) was provided by their web designer who is responsible for the all their graphics/art stuff. They didn't bother to ask him if he made it himself or where he found it, as they didn't even think about it.

When I notified them of your post they did ask him and his reply was that he found the image in his hard drive and he altered it a little to use in the BK add. The image was saved in his hard drive previously, he said he found it somewhere on the www but he could remember where as he didn't keep record of where he found it. As such he could not contact the artist. He thought the image was in the public domain so he used it.

Bill Kelso also said they have not received any message from you, but they like to talk to you to offer you to make a new custom image for them as they really like your work.
Please contact them at sales@billkelsomfg.com

HWaltonJonesJr.Phd
07-19-2012, 05:16 PM
I smell BS...

PLATON
07-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Yeah, it's BS, I will let you know more soon.

Kredepops
07-19-2012, 08:44 PM
Alright, Thanks Platon. We'll work something out.

Kevin Anderson
07-19-2012, 09:33 PM
Kredepops, can you, as an artist, even legally profit from a piece of work that uses a copyrighted/protected likeness like Indiana Jones?
I don't know how these things work, but wouldn't Lucasfilms protest?

indymassilia
07-19-2012, 11:48 PM
I think this is just a misunderstanding..People at Bill Kelso are intelligent and very open,i 'm sure Kredepops you will find a good solution to this little problem!!
In life i'm also a illustrator and i understand you very well,it's a hard job and don't pay very well,hard to live with it,but when you post a illustration on the internet/forum,sometimes this kind of situation happens...after ,it's a good drawing/sketch but not a masterpiece...look at someone like Frank Frazetta,his work is always devious.
Is this Indy-illustration was a comission/order for a customer with a legal employement contract or just for the fun?

indymassilia
07-19-2012, 11:58 PM
For example of my work,there are some littles sketch i send with the jackets i sold in the parcel to my customers:

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t494/georgesmassilia/sketchindy.jpg
http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t494/georgesmassilia/Joe1b.jpg
http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t494/georgesmassilia/indy-1.jpg
http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t494/georgesmassilia/Indysketch.jpg

I will very happy if BK choose one of my sketch,it make me some great publicity,ahaha!:storm:

ronin
07-20-2012, 04:29 AM
Wow! What awesome artwork! You boys are giving me ideas...

Oildale Jones
07-20-2012, 07:40 AM
Said BK: "WE HAVE ALREADY PAID FOR THIS ARTOWK." (sic)

So by that logic, I could buy a stolen car and be completely legit, because it's not my responsibility to ensure that it wasn't stolen.

They make a really nice jacket, but their customer relations liaison needs to stop taking things so personally.

fifthchamber
07-20-2012, 11:11 AM
Agrees with Oildale....

Entirely....Right is right, and however this came about, what was needed was using a decent graphic designer, not paying an idiot who simply stole other people's art and edited it..

What is needed now is a recheck of the customer relations and perhaps a going over on the "extras" bit of the jacket...The actual product is lovely, but the random things that come along with it have been enough to put a question mark onto my head about the company...

Not saying it's all messed up..It's a mistake anyone could have made...But own the mistake, admit it, and develop a way to never let it happen again..That's all that's needed now...I'd say..

Regards.

neutronbomb
07-20-2012, 01:09 PM
Did I miss a post or something. I'm lost on the already paid for it reference. I thought they were working it out.

I agree with gunslinger. We have some really talented members here.

Oildale Jones
07-20-2012, 05:53 PM
I pulled that quote from the already locked discussion on COW. Was that a breach of etiquette? Anyway, yeah, evidently they're working it out. Having been in customer service for many years, I'm very sensitive to the way a company treats its customers or potential customers. However this happened, BK's defensive reaction to it really soured me on the company. The world's most successful companies didn't get there by blaming someone else when problems arise.

I'm done.

Gunslinger
07-21-2012, 03:07 AM
I don't think any of us can have a problem with making reference to COW here. :D

Yes, I absolutely believe that a company will truly be able to show how great it is when things go wrong. Not making excuses for him, but I have the impression that BK isn't as particularly seasoned as some of us when it comes to that sort of thing. Sometimes when you've been in business or a particular vocation it's easy to forget when things weren't second nature. Hopefully BK can consider this sort of situation a lesson learned on a couple of levels.

PLATON
07-25-2012, 03:40 PM
All that Bill Kelso said was that the artist should have come to them first. They would have paid him. All this negative publicity was not needed.
It would be justified only if BK refused to pay. These are delicate matters should have been dealt with quietly. Making such a mess doesn't help. Also let's not forget that the artist wants to be paid for an image the rights of which could easily belong to others who are getting nothing is this case. I am no lawyer but I don't think that the artist is actually entitled to charge for 'stolen' artwork (to use the terminology of the example with the stolen car).

If you buy a stolen car that you didn't know was stolen, have you committed any crime?

I pulled that quote from the already locked discussion on COW. Was that a breach of etiquette? Anyway, yeah, evidently they're working it out. Having been in customer service for many years, I'm very sensitive to the way a company treats its customers or potential customers. However this happened, BK's defensive reaction to it really soured me on the company. The world's most successful companies didn't get there by blaming someone else when problems arise.

maybe some free jacket help you change your mind?