PDA

View Full Version : Alterations, collectibility and resale value

Oildale Jones
06-24-2012, 02:37 AM
A question for the group: How much, if any, effect would altering a jacket have on its collectibility and/or resale value? I just came into possession of a jacket that has potential collector value within the Indy community and it's in the shop for minor alterations, but I'm having second thoughts.

If I wanted to immediately flip it, I wouldn't alter it, but I plan to wear it and I want it to look good on me. But someday down the road, who knows?

(Sorry to be cagey. All will be made clear soon.)

deadseascrolls
06-24-2012, 03:06 AM
It depends on what type of jacket it is. Any chance of letting us know what exactly it is?

As far as alterations vs. collectibility/profit goes, it all depends on various factors. For ME, most of my jackets are bought with the intention of display (either/all privately or publicly) and preservation, so I'm looking more at all the nuances and details that would make it superbly SA. I really don't pay much attention anymore to average jackets outside the SA realm (that includes jackets that are not SA for measurements) unless they'd fit me and are fairly cheap to purchase. Otherwise, I'm content with general off-the-rack Indy jackets.

Take, for example, a TN jacket --- unless it was my size and I intended on buying it to wear, I wouldn't pay near as much for it if it was altered nor would I give them much consideration as I'm looking to buy for display and for my collection and not as a wearable jacket.

It really is a toss-up. I'd need to know the jacket and maker before I could help you out more to tell you what I'd suggest. But I'd say unless it's a pretty rare or unique jacket, altering it probably wouldn't make that much of a difference. The key, if at all possible, however, is to see if it can be altered in a way that can be successfully reversed later on and not damage the jacket (such as folding the sleeves up some or the back of the jacket to shorten it. This would give potential buyers some peace of mind in knowing that it can be reversed if they so choose.

A long ramble and not much help. Sorry! :-[

K-Wad
06-24-2012, 03:35 AM
Curtis,

I say you let the man make the jacket fit you and wear the hell out of it.
Seriously, how many people can say they have a jacket that cool, with that much connection to the hobby, that they can wear and enjoy (well, besides Brian. I think he's got you beat there :D )

I hope the little guy enjoyed his surprise!

-Keith ;)

-Kevin

Oildale Jones
06-24-2012, 04:08 AM
Thanks, Kerwin. ;) Since the cat is sort of out of the bag... I met up with neutronbomb and K-Wad at Tony Nowak's shop today. I bought one of Tony's personal Raiders jackets and per nb's suggestion, left it with Luis to have it tailored a bit to fit me better. I'm just wondering if that was the right move.

(I'll start a new thread after I pick it up.)

The little guy won't get his for a week or so, but I'm sure he'll like it for the few minutes I let him wear it.

K-Wad
06-24-2012, 04:31 AM
Cactus,

I don't think it will affect the value much at all.
I think if anything, it might help the resale value as you are a much more common size than Tony was.
The re-size Luis did on NB's old goat came out looking fantastic! He took the whole jacket apart, put it back together again and you can't even tell it has been altered!

neutronbomb
06-24-2012, 05:26 AM
I actually agree with k-wad. It was Tonys personal jacket. Made of vintage goat. Which is truly bad-ass I may add. It has his inscription with his number. It was his very most favorite personal Indy jacket. He loved that hide. Loved it. Had it sized down a bit to get a better fit. Cannot even tell the difference.

This way it's still a cool jacket. Still all of the above. And if someone (me, I get first dibs) buys it down the road, then they're getting that cool jacket and likely because it fits them. They get to wear Tony's personal jacket, plus it fits better.

I don't see how you could ever give it up though. It'll be one of the best Indy jackets you could ever have.

However, who knows. Maybe there's one guy who would pay more money because he's never going to wear it and it's just a collectors piece and he sees more value in it being exactly as Tony made it.

Maybe some others have more of an idea on this, but I'd say get it to fit and yeah..wear the hell out of it.