PDA

View Full Version : Coloring a whip

crismans
06-22-2012, 05:05 PM
Guess I'll flood this section. I have an 8" Gus Caiedo (sp?) that I really like and is well made. My only complaint is it's more of a natural color and I would like it to be more of an Indyesque brown. Any thoughts on how to achieve this?

K-Wad
06-22-2012, 08:49 PM
Hey Crismans,

If it is made of un-dyed veg-tanned leather, a little Pecard's and some direct sunlight will give it that golden-brown color you see in the first three movies, but, it does take a while.

You could use Fiebings or another brand of leather dye, but, it is really tricky to get the color right without going too dark.

Got any pics?

Kt Templar
06-22-2012, 08:54 PM
Another option is to make up your own shellac in the the right colour and shellac it. I guess the super blonde stuff would be a good starting point.

crismans
06-23-2012, 02:12 AM
I rubbed a little dark shoe polish back in the day. Helped some but got it darker around the edges of the strands but not on the strands themselves (I'm sure my vocabulary is way off).

Weston
06-23-2012, 05:12 AM
How long have you had it? Natural tan whips darken up nicely over time, but it has to see plenty of sunshine. When I got my first EM-Brand whip, it was very pale. Now it's a nice rich golden brown. My best advise is; don't try to force it.

K-Wad
06-23-2012, 05:29 AM
Another option is to make up your own shellac in the the right colour and shellac it. I guess the super blonde stuff would be a good starting point.

I agree, shellac would work well. However, I'd go with the amber color instead as the blonde wouldn't darken the leather any (the whip more than likely already has a coat of blonde shellac on it).

Just make sure to cut the shellac so it is thin and only apply a few thin coats. Apply it too thick and it will flake off when the whip is flexed.

However, I still say you give it a coat of Pecard's and some sunshine.
The results will be much better and it is a lot less sticky than shellacking a whip.

crismans
06-23-2012, 12:32 PM
I've had it for a while (two or three years) but it's seen very little sun. I'll probably go the Pecard's and sun method. I plan on starting to crack it again anyway, so two birds and one stone and all. ;)

I've had De Longis' videos recommended. Any others that would be good for a rank amateur?

Oildale Jones
06-23-2012, 05:01 PM
This is a goatskin Todd's before...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/Max_Deployment/Indy/DSC07107.jpg

and after a light coat of Obenauf's, plus Pecard's and sunlight.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/Max_Deployment/Indy/DSC07378.jpg

This is a kangaroo Todd's before...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/Max_Deployment/Indy/DSC07490.jpg

and after Pecard's and sunlight. (Not as dramatic a difference as the goatskin, but give it some time.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/Max_Deployment/Indy/DSC07524.jpg

You'll see the edges of the strands start to darken first, but eventually it evens out as the strands soak up the dressing.

crismans
06-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Very nice, Oildale! How are the Todd's whips for cracking. I'm just starting out, so I wouldn't need the highest quality, but I want it to be decent so it will crack more easily (I have a hard enough time as it is).

Oildale Jones
06-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Hey, we're back! I'm also just starting out, and based on my personal experience, I wouldn't start with a Todd's if cracking is your primary focus.

If you want something that primarily looks great on your belt and you don't want to spend a lot, then they're a lot of bang for your buck. My first whip was the 8-foot and it was so light and unbalanced that I got tennis elbow from trying to crack it. (Everyone at my doctor's office laughed when I told them I got bursitis from whipcracking.) The newer 10-foot is heavier, but harder for me to crack due to the length.

Since you want crackability, I highly recommend Dusty Damrel's Crease-N-Corral whips. This is my 8-foot KOTCS that I got on eBay from a COW member. It's a heavy beast, but due to the weight and balance (and steel cable core) it's very easy to crack, and his prices are excellent. Sometime in the future I'll trade in my economy models on a Raiders from CNC.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/Max_Deployment/Indy/DSC07525.jpg

indyclone25
06-30-2012, 09:04 PM
when you start cracking you want to satr with a smaller whip like a 6-8 ft whip , i had a 6 ft whip when i was a teenager and learned with til i broke it down ,basically.
then when the kotcs came out i bought to 10 ft whip from ebay from jrzjoes , it was a good cheap whip to get back into cracking again. then i got a Todd's 8 ft it was the next gen that wasn't for show and it cracked great ( still does , too) and then i got a Todd's 10 ft whip , awesome whip. i haven't had any problems with mine except having a cracker come off from time to time. the newer whips from Todd's are built a lot better than before. but like i said if you want to lean how to crack start small ....:)

crismans
07-02-2012, 01:46 AM
Thanks for the tip, Oildale! That's a beauty and you're right about the prices being very reasonable (I looked them up on his site).

Indyclone, I was going to get another 8 foot to learn with. How did you do with the jrzjones? I got one of his cheap ones and dang near put my eye out trying to crack it!

indyclone25
07-02-2012, 09:34 PM
it was hard at first with the jrzjoes, it was heavy and it took me weeks to crack it. and it was just because it had no strutre to it , it seemed in some parts of the whip it was real tight and other parts were to loose. but it never came apart , then my son used it and he cracks it all the time , but now he uses a caciedo 6fter. :)
well good luck with that 8fter , just remember to oil it up a few times to get it from being tight .