PDA

View Full Version : Favourite smoke then?

fifthchamber
06-07-2012, 07:29 AM
Okay...Well then....Since this'll be the first thread here, let's start from the basics?

Favourite cigar to smoke, any reasons why and what, if any tipple you like to indulge in with it?

Since I've started it, I'll go first eh?

Mine is a Montecristo no. 1, or a Punch Punch....Either of which are lovely smokes in most any weather, although perfect on a slightly colder day...I've found my choices vary between Montecristo, Romeo y Julieta and Punch...Although I have tried Cohiba (found them rather heavy, and they linger far longer than I, or my girlfriend were ok with..Heh), and Davidoff too...The Davidoff were to see why Arnold enjoyed them, and they're certainly a decent cigar, although a little softer than I like in comparison with the Cuban selection I'm most familiar with...

As for whiskey....I love a good single malt...A friend (runs a pub in Chelsea, London so has access to decent choices and brings them over to Japan when he comes) brought me some rather lovely Macallan (18 year old single malt Sherry oak cask) which was amazing....I've recently been given a sherry 12year as well, and the last time he visited he brought some Bushmills (he's an Irishman), and some rather more potent Poitin...Which rather goes against the whole "drink for taste" thing I had aimed for..LOL..The Sherry cask was a delicious Whisky though...Really fruity, and well flavoured when matched with a cigar...Delicious stuff....

The Macallan is a favourite...Although Laphroaig is high among my Islay malts....

There's actually a bar near my house here in Tachikawa, Tokyo, that offers nothing BUT whiskeys and cigars...They have an entire wall of single malts and others that is worht the visit just for the oogle...The cigar selection is decent too...With a selection of Cuban cigars that really hit the spot for a slow weekend...

If any of you DO end up in Tokyo and want a guide, or just someone to chat Indy with while getting drunk slowly on 18year olds, do let me know....I would be glad to show people my town!!

Ok! Over to you! Let the posting commence!! :)

fenris
06-07-2012, 10:03 AM
I don't smoke anymore...

I VAPE!!!

neutronbomb
06-07-2012, 11:35 AM
I really wish I could drink whiskey so I could experience the single malts everyone always talks about. A really stupid first time drinking experience at 18 at a party that involved a fifth of Jack and a 12 pack of Budweiser ruined it for me. Just like that the entire whiskey tree and all it's relatives.......gone forever. Can't get near the stuff to this day.

I do love fine tequilas though. Went to Nicaragua a few years ago. Totally amazing experience. Brought back a box of their Cigars and Flores de Cana 21 rum. Absolutely everyone should experience sitting around an outdoor fireplace with a couple of friends for a few hours smoking Nicaraguan cigars and sipping "Vente Uno" at least one time in their life.

djd
06-07-2012, 11:40 AM
I used to enjoy a cigar or two after a night out, back in a hotel bar. Never a smoker apart from that and now that you can't smoke anywhere apart from standing outside, I really don't have the opportunity sadly.

Indiana Bugs
06-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Some of my favorite cigars are Belindas - the Vintage Cuban Coronas, in particular, Excalibur X, and Macanudos when I want something lighter.

As for drink, I like Merlots and Cabernets, and if I'm going to go harder, I like vodka, Finlandia, in particular.

fifthchamber
06-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Decent! DJD, yeah...My friend Steve had said that...He runs a pub, but the laws are so odd that he complains about not being able to easily smoke even there...(He smokes smokes though...So maybe that's a part of it..)

I was always the same as you in that regards (and my dad actually), one cigar lasts me about a half year or so....I don't like to smoke often, since it messes with my fitness, and smoking more often means you lose the "high" that a good cigar can give you...A couple of times yearly and it's still quite a buzz like that..One of the benefits to being slightly less addictive eh?

Wines I enjoy with a decent meal....But honestly, I've never been much of a drinker...Being in Japan and NOT being a drinker is a rather hazardous thing to do, since they LOVE drinking here, and throw it in with any excuse (Cherry blossom? Oh! Drinks! Soccer team won a game? Let's get plastered! Finished Mario? Wow! Drinks then!! Kinda thing..), but I don't usually drink unless I'm with mates... And not many of my mates like drinking enough to bother...It's usually only when Steve comes over from the UK that I "indulge"...LOL..

My girlfriend likes getting me plastered...But she usually ends up slightly drunker than me, which always makes it a fun night...And she doesn't especially hate the cigar taste, so I get away with it..

LOL....Vodka eh? The poitin was like that...No REAL taste as such, just a lovely "aftershock" that really hit hard.....Mind you...95% proof really SHOULD "hit" eh?

It also bleached the floor where it spilled...Impressive..LOL

What about "other than Cuba" cigars then? Anyone have any experience with any decent ones outside of the Davidoff's? I've always tended to stick to what I know I like...Which means it's all been Cuban really...Anyone else?

Indiana Bugs
06-07-2012, 01:40 PM
I also love hot saki.

tomek9210
06-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Bugs, Finlandia is the best vodka available on the market, really. I'm from Poland and I know that from autopsy :) There is a saying -'It's Poland here and we drink (alcohol) here'. What vodkas have you tasted guys?
Come here and go to any party - vodka and beer are served in enormous volumes. Even better are self made alcohols, usually over 70%.
As for beers, local ones are the best for me. I especially love the one with honey.

fifthchamber
06-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Bugs!

Ahhh...Atsukan eh? Warmed Sake? It's lovely.....Although you need the right kind of sake to carry it off...The cheaper types are nasty however hot they get..Heh...There are some lovely shops here actually (obviously) that sell local "Nigori", which is a cloudy sake...Lovely stuff...And imojochu which is Potato Whiskey essentially...Strong, but with a slightly deeper taste than the usual shochu...

I have to admit loving Atsukan myself...It's perfect in winter...And with a really good Ginjo (The higher class of sake here) it's one of the best and tastiest drinks here....Agreed!

djd
06-07-2012, 02:08 PM
I'm a great fan of Zubrowka. I love that herb flavour in the vodka. It's the only vodka I enjoy drinking without a mixer

tomek9210
06-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Zubrowka is nice. There is one more great herbal vodka - Zoladkowa Gorzka ("bitter vodka for the stomach").

Any Russians here? Any lovers of their rocket fuel :D?

kiltie
06-07-2012, 03:50 PM
Favorite cigar: with the ban on all things Cuban here ( and I am able to get my hands on them from time to time ), anything from the Arturo Fuente Hemingway collection.

Backing it up with straight booze, it'd be Bushmill's or Jameson ( in that order ). If it's scotch - 10yr Aberlour, which for my money is the best investment:payoff ratio.

fifthchamber
06-07-2012, 11:17 PM
I don't really understand the continuing ban on Cuban goods in the U.S., it's a real shame that most of the more decent cigars are off limits (legally) to most citizens..

Ok, what about the American cigars then? Anything worthy of smoking in the northern zones? My dad had always wanted to try a cigar like those Columbo smoked in the TV show... I believe he once got given one like it by a friend and thought it was "horrible"... But I must admit I'm a little intrigued by them..

Does anyone know the brand of those used in the show by the way?

Regards..

Gunslinger
06-07-2012, 11:26 PM
Bugs!

Ahhh...Atsukan eh? Warmed Sake? It's lovely.....Although you need the right kind of sake to carry it off...The cheaper types are nasty however hot they get..Heh...There are some lovely shops here actually (obviously) that sell local "Nigori", which is a cloudy sake...Lovely stuff...And imojochu which is Potato Whiskey essentially...Strong, but with a slightly deeper taste than the usual shochu...

I have to admit loving Atsukan myself...It's perfect in winter...And with a really good Ginjo (The higher class of sake here) it's one of the best and tastiest drinks here....Agreed!

I have to heat them all. I can't stand the taste of cold sake - to me I feel it robs it of its essential kick and flavour. I know the better they are, it's meant to be good cold, but I really like it as a winter drink. When I was in Japan I picked up a great set of traditional cups and the little jugs, etc. free on the side of the road in Kyoto like the locals leave out (got to love those little things about Japan), and do drink it properly occassionally, heating it in a pot on the stovetop, etc. but more often than not end up just nuking it for 30secs in the microwave. Very traditional and culturally sensitive.

I love the booze vending machines in Japan, though. Nothing beats being able to pick up whatever you feel like for $2 outside your guesthouse!

Kt Templar
06-07-2012, 11:46 PM
Sadly the 2 sakes I know are Sawanotsuru and Gekkeikan, both probably low end I need to find someone to teach me! I have tried the cloudy stuff once and it was very nice.

fifthchamber
06-08-2012, 12:16 AM
There are several levels of "quality" in Japanese sakes...The higher ones being a form of Ginjo "??"... The higest is the "Junmai dai ginjo"...But I've never drunk that! Honestly, any sake that comes in at "Ginjo" can be assumed to be very smooth, easy to drink, and delicious... The "Junmai" (??) are the more common levels of Sake sold..

Some of the most decent Sake I've drunk here have been "Jizake" types..Kind of like "Home brew" or "microbrewery" beer back home...There's a local brewery near me here in Western Tokyo dating back to the Edo Jidai (1600 to 1868) and it sells some of the best jizake and beer as well actually..Lovely stuff..

The "Nigorizake" (???) is good, (cloudy stuff) and nicer than the clear stuff in my opinion, but not to everyone's taste...

One other type of sake usually sold in winter is "Amazake" (??), which is a sugared, sweet and alcoholic drink with rice in it..Kind of like a watery rice pudding, but very sweet....It's bloody delicious, and served hot...There's a local jinja near me in Takahata Fudo san that makes and sells it for the winter festival...And there's very little better than one of those when it's cold..Well worth looking out for!!

If you have the cash though, ask for the Ginjo class of sakes and you'll find something more than decent...They're not so expensive, but definitely a class above the "usual" stuff...Well worth the look..

Regards..

fifthchamber
06-08-2012, 12:17 AM
Ah, it won't copy the kanji out...Let me know if anyone wants to see the Japanese letters and I can send em' along by email instead!! :)

Kt Templar
06-08-2012, 12:24 AM
LOL alcoholic rice pudding.... I think you should market that at the OAPs.... perfect audience.

fifthchamber
06-08-2012, 12:28 AM
Heheh...Not a bad idea....

It really is though..You can chew on the rice too...Delicious stuff...Maybe I could set up an import business for old people back in London eh? 8)

K-Wad
06-08-2012, 01:43 AM
I don't smoke anymore...

I VAPE!!!

Same here.
I smoked non-filters Camels and the occasional cigar or pipe.
Switched over to E-cigs 1 year ago and have no desire to go back to smoking.
I'd LOVE to dig out one of my vintage pipes and grab a pouch of Captain Black's, but, I promised myself "no more smoking"!

Right now I'm vapeing "Aces & 8s" by V4L.com.
I'm really digin' the tast of this one. Kind of a cross between a cigar and a mellow pipe tobacco.
Washing it down with a diet Pepsi.

Yep, it's official. I'm boring... ;D

Gunslinger
06-08-2012, 01:56 AM
I used to love a Cuban cigar every few weeks / months back in my uni days, but between living in an apartment with kids and having no mates that smoke, even on poker nights, it makes it kind of tough. Sometimes boringness is inflicted on us, it seems.

fifthchamber
06-08-2012, 02:46 AM
Strangely, I found myself smoking a lot more last few months due to being in a crap job, having low funds (ironic, what I DID have went to cigars..LOL), and being angry a lot...Smoking helped me relax for an hour or so and forget it...

I was up to about one a week.....Now I'm off them again, having found a good job, better pay, and, even if I do say so myself, a rather stunning woman to spend time with....

That said, cigars are NOT about solving depression!! LOL...

Just, better them than alcohol I figured.... :drink:
(Never been that much of a drinker..)

bendingoak
06-12-2012, 04:44 AM
Oban single scotch whiskey. My favorite. At $16 a shot I haven't had much of that recently.

Cigars, there are a couple of Cubans that are on top of my list but don't really get them often. Monticrisco, cohiba , punch

like big ring Ganges, and the darker the better

Non Cubans
Black label partagus
La Gloria R series

kiltie
06-12-2012, 05:21 AM
Cigars, there are a couple of Cubans that are on top of my list but don't really get them often.

One lucky American enjoyed a Cuban at work, tonight.

fifthchamber
06-12-2012, 08:31 AM
John, actually...

I'd put some thought into that one....Since they probably don't overly check normal letter sized boxes too thoroughly, I could probably send a couple in a small box easy enough...Maybe throw in a Japanese brush or something so they can see it's a gift from Japan and it'll go through ok?

I was vexed at them stopping the last one...I think it would work....Let me have another go when I get paid...

Punch and Monticristo do you?

bendingoak
06-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Either is great.

kiltie
06-12-2012, 12:49 PM
John, actually...

I'd put some thought into that one....Since they probably don't overly check normal letter sized boxes too thoroughly, I could probably send a couple in a small box easy enough...Maybe throw in a Japanese brush or something so they can see it's a gift from Japan and it'll go through ok?

I've heard from more than one person, that when carrying them two or five at a time, to simply remove the bands. Then everyone can just claim ignorance. I'd do that via mail, too.

By the way, John Penman: I'm gonna give you a call later today. I found a letter addressed to you behind the piano from about a year ago that never quite made it out...

fifthchamber
06-12-2012, 11:23 PM
Yeah, that makes sense....I'd been considering not declaring them on the form...Just leaving them as is and including something else to see on the scanner....But that might not be so wise?

Declare them as "cigars"? Or leave them off entirely? Thoughts?

patchcamel
06-12-2012, 11:57 PM
Well I gotta make a first post sooner or later. This thread looks as good as any. My favorite smoke at the moment is probably a Don Sebastian Lonsdale or a Gran Habano Corojo #5. My humidor is actually stocked mainly with Mata Hari's from Thompson Cigars since I got 3 boxes of those as a gift from a friend not long ago. As far as whiskey, I keep it simple. I usually drink Makers Mark on the rocks and relax in the back yard with a nice cigar or one of my pipes filled with cigar blend from the local tobacco shop. Of course the trick is finding the time to do that.

Louisianna James
03-01-2013, 04:36 PM
lol i always smoke a marlboro with my hat on, i sometimes prevent the smoke from going upwards into the front brim felt so that my hat doesnt smell like cigarettes 8)

fifthchamber
03-05-2013, 11:20 PM
lol i always smoke a marlboro with my hat on, i sometimes prevent the smoke from going upwards into the front brim felt so that my hat doesnt smell like cigarettes 8)

I hate to be the one to tell ya...But that won't stop the hat smelling like cigarettes.....If you smoke, the clothes you smoke in will smell of smoke....Felt especially will pick up the odour and keep it...

Once you stop smoking, you'll notice how much you didn't notice when you did smoke..But there's no way you can block the smell out....It's one of those things...

Indiana Bugs
03-18-2013, 12:03 AM
I'm not much of a liquor snob. I just have to like something, regardless of price.

djd
05-10-2013, 08:16 AM
New years resolution was to start smoking a pipe...

Pipes are cool. Honestly

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/132/img20130110214556.jpg