PDA

View Full Version : Raiders novelisation

djd
06-01-2012, 08:10 PM
Here's a question for you guys.

The RotLA novelisation contains some scenes that aren't in the finished film. In particular I'm thinking of the bit where we find that Indy is having a fling with one of his college students. Now old George must have approved this (and the novel went out in his joint name originally). Did this stem from an earlier version of the script in the same way that the star wars novelisation contains quite a bit of genuine George cut material? I'm aware of the script that contains the 'harlowesque' female at his home when Marcus arrives but is there something more explicit than that in another version?

Junior
06-01-2012, 08:25 PM
The novel is based on the 5th draft screenplay. I have a copy of it and it's exactly like the novel. Alot of material was filmed and cut during editing as I've seen stills of it. In other cases dialog and such was changed at the spur of the moment because Spielberg had some better ideas.

djd
06-01-2012, 08:41 PM
So the thing with his student is in the script? I wonder how that would change our perceptions of Dr Jones?

Junior
06-01-2012, 08:51 PM
[quote=djd ]
So the thing with his student is in the script? I wonder how that would change our perceptions of Dr Jones?
[/quote

It is. They filmed it. The student he's having a fling with is the one with LOVE YOU written on her eyelids. She's actually in another room when Marcus visits Indy's house to tell him the news. If they had left the film as scripted your perception of Dr. Jones would change. He's more like Bellog than you think selling to the highest bidder, womenizing. Not the clearcut goodguy. More like Harry Steele in Secret Of The Incas.

djd
06-01-2012, 09:00 PM
So another case of GL getting more sugary and less interesting as he goes along? Interesting junior - thank you

crismans
06-02-2012, 01:47 AM
I seem to remember that Campbell Black ran out of time on the novelization. You can tell this when you read it. The first half is really good, full of characterization and interesting extras (for instance, the two top German officers, whose names escape me right now) talking in Berlin before they embark on their quest for the Ark, a really good description of the temple scene. The latter half was much too quick with only 7 pages (I think) devoted to the Well of the Souls and no mention of the truck chase (which I suppose wasn't in the 5th version of the script?).

Junior, I had always heard that the student he's having a fling with is the one outside his classroom, the one that Marcus briefly checks out before entering.

Weston
06-02-2012, 06:15 AM
I liked his insights in to the character of Belloq. I agree, it seemed a bit rushed as it went along.

ravencrow
06-05-2012, 05:34 PM
I was always under the impression the Indy would call the Bantu Wind,m to reload the ark and get his things back because he clearly leaves his hat on the ship. In the book Indy losses his hat completely .. I finally just read all the novelizations..

KidHuevos
06-06-2012, 11:27 PM
I was always under the impression the Indy would call the Bantu Wind,m to reload the ark and get his things back because he clearly leaves his hat on the ship. In the book Indy losses his hat completely .. I finally just read all the novelizations..

Don't forget, he also lost the whip when he jumped off the German sub, forgetting to untie it from the periscope. :'(