PDA

View Full Version : Steve Delk Back Order Updates and Discussion

indydude1
05-05-2011, 02:04 AM
I need help. I cant get ahold of Steve at Adventurebilt. What should I do? I tried to call him and email him with no reply. I really just want to get my hat reblocked

Unlucky Berman
05-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Do you live in Europe? Then maybe Marc can also help you with this. Or he can help to get in contact with his colleague Steve.
http://www.adventurebiltdeluxe.com/

The new mail adress is info@adventurebilt.com and Marc has a new partner (Stefan), who answers mails.

indydude1
07-26-2011, 02:06 PM
Guys I need to get ahold of Steve to get my Ab reblocked but he does not right me back. Does anybody know of any other way to get ahold of him?

Junior
07-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Last I heard Steve was fighting a steph infection. Might still be down in the weather still.

indydude1
07-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Oh maybe thats why. Maybe in a week or two I can give him a call.

indydude1
08-17-2011, 01:40 AM
Has anybody heard from Steve I need to get my hat reblocked but don't want to send it to Penman he is to high for a reblock. I am shooting him one last email.

crismans
08-17-2011, 02:22 PM
I sent him a message when he said to contact him if you hadn't got the hat you ordered (some orders had gone missing). He got back to me within a few days that he had gotten my order. That was around a month or so ago.

Junior
08-17-2011, 03:16 PM
Steve might not have time to do reblocks. His health has been in question for quite a while and as soon as all orders are filled he plans on retiring. I hope he has many years left to enjoy.

crismans
05-27-2012, 10:40 PM
First off, this isn't a bashing thread. I asked the same question about a year ago and got some good response. Steve (through Jnicktern, I believe) told us that his health had taken a really bad turn, but that he was recovering. He mentioned that he had lost a page of orders and anyone who hadn't received their hat needed to contact him. I emailed him what I had ordered and he replied he got my message.

That was about a year ago and I've heard nothing since. I'm not trying to get on the man even if he was completely healthy, which I know is far from the case. But, I ordered my hat in April of 2008 and I'd love to have it. If that can't be done, no big deal. But I would like to get a refund so I can get a new Wested Hero or something else.

So, has anyone heard from him lately?

Edited to add that I have tried to contact him several times in the last year.

deadseascrolls
05-27-2012, 11:49 PM
I too haven't heard anything about him and am hoping he's doing well. I haven't tried contacting him lately but earlier emails to him when I first started to write to him (I say that was 2009/2010) were answered promptly. Ever since, my emails have gone unanswered and my attempts at calling him - both via regular phone and his cell - have yielded no results. I am a procrastinator and that has gotten me into a lot of hot water regarding items as Steve asked me what size the hats I ordered were to be. I was debating over whether to get one Ford sized and the other my size, both my size, etc etc so I never got back to him with a definitive answer. Now that I think I've got my sizing down, I can't reach him to let him know and get the ball rolling on my hats. I ordered mine back in 2010.

As a procrastinator, I've been battling over how to properly and concisely write him a letter as I want to ask him also a few questions regarding some hats I own and the only person with the answers to them are from Steve himself. So I've REALLY got to get the ball rolling on that.

I've heard from a few different people who've actually done this with great results is to slip Steve a check or money order for a couple to few hundred dollars more than what you paid initially for the hat to "expedite" things. Bribery - yes - but I've heard it works.

Like you Crismans, this is not me bashing Steve or AB in any way. I got a good deal on my hats when I ordered them and while I've thought of canceling my order many times to get a refund, I figure for the price I got I'd at least try to contact Steve some more to see if I can get at least an answer on my order. I've only been on this for 2 years - Crismans, you have been waiting 2x as long. And I know it's been mentioned elsewhere, but I think if he could at least get someone in to answer emails and post brief updates, that would help quell things a lot. Heck, if it worked for me and I could find a place to reasonably live down there, I'd offer to move down there myself and help him with that in return for some apprenticeship training on hat-making.

chewie louie
05-30-2012, 03:15 AM
I placed an order for my CS Adventurebilt back in February of 2008. The last time I heard from Steve was June of last year. He sent me a one sentence email that he still had my order. Since then, nothing. I called him once earlier this year and I believe it was his mother that I spoke with. At that time, she said he was doing well. I followed that call with an email. When I did not get a response, I sent another email where I pretty much insisted that he contact me immediately with the status of my order. Again, nothing.

Crismans, you can forget about ever getting a full refund. Steve has stated that he is no longer giving them. If I recall correctly, if anyone wants out, they'll get a partial refund plus a pile of materials. Not exactly what I bargained for when I placed my order, but for the time being I am refraining from taking further action. I may not be at all happy with Steve's business practices, but it is pretty well established that when you order an Adventurebilt, you're gonna have to do some waiting. Again, not what I was told when I place my order back in 2008. In fact Steve told me if I wanted my hat by the end of that year, that I should place my order asap. I did, and well . . . here I am.

And Deadseescrolls, I hope the rumor that slipping Steve a little extra incentive $$$ is just that, a rumor. I am already none to happy with the option he implemented after I placed my oder back in 2008, that anyone willing to pay $650, or whatever the amount is, would get there hat in a couple of months. I saw the pictures and comments someone recently posted at COW. They paid the higher price and got their hat in a timely manner. What was truly galling, was that this individual had prompt and repeated communications with Steve regarding his order, and THAT is what has infuriated me that most . . . the continued refusal on Steve's part to communicate with his long-standing customers.

jnicktem
05-30-2012, 03:26 AM
I last heard from Steve about a month ago. It is my understanding that he tries to read as many e-mails as he can- but doesn't reply. I guess for him he doesn't want to get stuck constantly e-mailing people- which I both completely understand and at the same time don't.

All I do know is that he is still working on hats as much as his health allows. He sees the light at the end of the tunnel- but without wrecking his health it will still take time to get there. I myself am waiting on two hats.

fifthchamber
05-30-2012, 05:44 AM
Chewie...

For what it's worth...I happen to know that the guy you mean didn't have "prompt" emails back from Steve initially...He tricked Steve into emailing by asking about a new "possible" purchase and getting Steve to reply in regards to that...I believe Steve has enough time to email new customers once or twice and let them know roughly what he's doing and what they want....But even that only spreads to a few emails before Steve just leaves it and gets on with the work...While I agree, it's not a good way to deal with customers, it's not true that he's emailing regularly to anyone else....I think it's a fact that he's only sending emails to those who haven't yet decided what to order and need his input on that....

For the record, I happen to think that what the guy mentioned did sucks...I know Steve is hard to get ahold of, but choosing to lie about the email, then cover it up, and then "reveal it all" to Steve, while ordering a hat, and expecting him to be happy about it is pushing things a lot...But that's what he did...So don't feel bad..He only got Steve by lying to him and sending money...Hardly a decent combo.....

I can't really help with your problem outside of that...Has anyone tried writing a letter to Steve? Not an email, but something he can actually hold and keep? That might have some effect? Emails are a little less personal, which might be why Steve misses them? And the phone doesn't work either, so maybe a letter would?

I can't be sure..

djd
05-30-2012, 07:56 AM
It's an uncomfortable situation. I feel very sorry for the situation that steve's in where the dream really seems to have become a nightmare. I think the whole decision to prioritise new customers over old was a big mistake in the first place and I don't see how he's going to get out of it. I myself ordered a rabbit hat from him in 2010, had reasonable comms with him and got the finished product inside 10 weeks. It pains me to think that his reputation is suffering so due to the very reasonable anger of some of his customers. There's a lot of love for the guy but it's difficult

Luisiana Jones
05-30-2012, 09:18 AM
It's an uncomfortable situation. I feel very sorry for the situation that steve's in where the dream really seems to have become a nightmare. I think the whole decision to prioritise new customers over old was a big mistake in the first place and I don't see how he's going to get out of it.

Totally agree. This move was indeed not the best one... its a pity tho.

Regards,

LJ

Topper
05-30-2012, 09:28 AM
A few years back (around 2006/2007) I ordered my first and only AB hat from Steve. I had no idea that there would be a long waiting time. I think I waited about a year... (isn that long compared to today!) but to this date the price for a AB hat was about 230USD! I wouldn't order something again where the waiting time is really YEARS!
In a year so much can happen and who knows if I still need that hat then. Also consider the new price tag is really heavy too.
AB makes great hats (maybe the best) but I don't understand all the hype.
Has anyone asked for getting back the money and actually got it back yet?

Cheers

Topper

crismans
05-30-2012, 11:13 AM
DJD, you're right in that it's a very uncomfortable situation. I always start by saying I'm not bashing Steve because I know from talking to several people who are friends with him, that he's a really good guy. And I know that he has terrible health. Taking these two factors into account, I feel it's only right to give a LOT of slack. But, when I ordered, there was a two year waiting time. Fine, I knew that going in. We're double that now, but I also understand he had some VERY serious health problems. Again, I can handle that.

But, it would be nice to have even a one line email from him letting me know the status of my hat. I fully understand things on his end, but understanding goes both ways and you have people who have paid their money (I paid $450 I think? Right before the last price increase) not having a clue as to what is happening. It's a situation to where, if it wasn't Steve, people would be raising all sorts of hell and would have some justification for doing it.

It's just tough.

djd
05-30-2012, 12:01 PM
I think that's right. It's the 'if it wasn't steve' factor.... There are people of fedoralounge who don't know Steve from a bar of soap and these people do not see any reason to cut him so much slack, understandably. It's a shame to see his reputation damaged so.

jnicktem
05-30-2012, 01:15 PM
I know of someone who is in almost the same shoes Steve is in (except for the health issues). He too, gave up on e-mails. Said it wasn't worth the stress. I was even sent a copy of one person's e-mail- and it was scary to say the least. Basically, the guy waited over a month for his item, and said if he had to he would find where he lives and take it from him. There are some crazy people out there- and I am sure Steve just thought it wasn't worth the stress to answer a lot of those e-mails. He probably thinks as long as he keeps plugging away eventually everyone will be happy.

Indiana Bugs
05-30-2012, 04:14 PM
I'm only speculating but he may be very much looking forwrad to getting out from under the load, so to speak. Combine bad health with the uncertainty of the tone of some of the emails, and I think I would just be busting my arse to get as much done as possible.

On the other hand, I don't know that I'd b taking new orders to do on my day-off with some much backlog. . . BUT, a guy's gotta make money to live, too, so you gotta do what you gotta do.

All in all, a very difficult set of circumstances. I wish him the best.

chewie louie
05-30-2012, 04:16 PM
Chewie...

For what it's worth...I happen to know that the guy you mean didn't have "prompt" emails back from Steve initially...He tricked Steve into emailing by asking about a new "possible" purchase and getting Steve to reply in regards to that...I believe Steve has enough time to email new customers once or twice and let them know roughly what he's doing and what they want....But even that only spreads to a few emails before Steve just leaves it and gets on with the work...While I agree, it's not a good way to deal with customers, it's not true that he's emailing regularly to anyone else....I think it's a fact that he's only sending emails to those who haven't yet decided what to order and need his input on that....

For the record, I happen to think that what the guy mentioned did sucks...I know Steve is hard to get ahold of, but choosing to lie about the email, then cover it up, and then "reveal it all" to Steve, while ordering a hat, and expecting him to be happy about it is pushing things a lot...But that's what he did...So don't feel bad..He only got Steve by lying to him and sending money...Hardly a decent combo.....

I can't really help with your problem outside of that...Has anyone tried writing a letter to Steve? Not an email, but something he can actually hold and keep? That might have some effect? Emails are a little less personal, which might be why Steve misses them? And the phone doesn't work either, so maybe a letter would?

I can't be sure..

I think I know which incident you are referring to, it was a comment made by Shears at COW in the Vendors sections, but that wasn't the one I was referring to. It was somebody else, perhaps in the Post Your Adventurebilt thread that stated that he ordered his hat paying the higher price option, and that he had several communications with him before he got his hat. That's what really rubs me the wrong way. So I don't have to spend time re-writing how I feel, here is the text of a comment I posted in the vendor section of COW before it was locked down:

"Please do not lecture me and think for one second that I am not sympathetic to Steve's health issues, because I am. I have been actively involved with Team in Training and the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society since 2005. I have seen first hand the devastating affects cancer has on its victims and their families. However, I also know that people can still function even while undergoing chemotherapy, some even train for marathons or Ironman competitions while being treated.

If Steve is currently incapacitated and unable to work because he is ill, then as a Christian I would be among the first to pray for a speedy recovery. And I have said before that health comes before hats. At this point, we don't know that state of his health. We do know; however, based upon responses in the "Post Your Adventurebilt Here" thread, that he is currently taking orders for new hats, and quickly filling orders for those willing to pay $650.00. Personally, I never thought that was fair, even though he allegedly makes those hats on his "days off", but if I knew back in 2008 that it would take more than 4 years to get my hat, and not less than 1 year like he told me it might via email, I may have plunked down the extra coin back then to get my hat quicker. However, I think that policy of his came in to effect a year or more after I placed my order. Yet another reason why I think it's an unfair practice. But I digress.

The main issue here, is not the wait time, but the lack of COM-MU-NI-CA-TION. I'll wait another year or two if I absolutely have to, especially in light of Steve's health issues. But it's the lack of COM-MU-NI-CA-TION that has made this experience completely unenjoyable. Steve himself has stated that some orders have been lost! How do we know if ours wasn't one of them? How do we know if someone's order hasn't leaped someone else in line? How do we get confirmation that orders are still, on order?

We aren't just talking $350 here, we are talking THOUSANDS of dollars from MANY customers, and we have a right to know what the status of our orders are. It is the professional thing to do. It is the ethical thing to do. Please tell me in what other profession or line of business is it perfectly acceptable to cut off communications with costumers AFTER you have already taken their money. Please do not take this the wrong way, but the fact that he has and/or is battling cancer does not excuse his failure to COM-MU-NI-CATE. He owes his costumers a duty to keep them informed about the viability of his company, and he needs to have a contingency plan in place in case the worst were to happen. While it may sound morbid, uncaring or distasteful to those that do not know better, it is simply the price of doing business. If something were to happen to me today, I know my clients affairs will still be looked after.

I'm sorry, but in light of the fact new orders are being accepted and filled, and that Steve is obviously selectively communicating with certain customers while actively ignoring others has me incensed, and I have lost all of my patience.

ALL of the growing frustration, resentment and disappointment felt by his costumers could have easily been avoided with a little COM-MU-NI-CA-TION.

There is no valid counter-arguement. NONE."

And that's pretty much it. I'm not looking to bash Steve, but he has a duty to his costumers that he is not fulfilling. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, he would save himself, and his costumers, a lot of grief, stress, anxiety, anger, etc. etc. etc. if he would just communicate from time to time. A short monthly update on the status of orders either here or at COW, or better yet, on his very own website would calm everyone's fears. I know people have volunteered to act as a liaison of sorts to pass along updates, but nope. Oh well.

-Louis

bendingoak
05-30-2012, 11:39 PM
I wish I could tell you all I know but I can't. It tears me up to read this thread. I understand everyone frustration. And don't blame anyone for your being upset.

chewie louie
05-31-2012, 01:43 AM
I wish I could tell you all I know but I can't. It tears me up to read this thread. I understand everyone frustration. And don't blame anyone for your being upset.

Well, that's not very encouraging. I almost wish you didn't tell us that. Are you sworn to secrecy or something?

The Pawn
05-31-2012, 02:25 AM
I feel for everyone who paid in full and have not received their items. It's probably way too late to make a claim on PayPal or their credit cards. If something happens to Steve, they will most likely lose their money... :-[. I hope Steve gts better.

crismans
05-31-2012, 02:30 AM

I know that Steve is a very good friend of yours, John. And, to be honest, that very reason is why I gave some serious thought before I posted this thread as I didn't want you to think I was going head hunting. That is not my purpose AT ALL. And Jnicktem has a point that I don't know what kinds of emails Steve gets etc. I'm trying to take that into consideration. But, to my mind, it also needs to be taken into consideration by Steve that he has customers that have been waiting four years now for their hats and a simple "Hey, sorry about the wait but wanted to let you know that I'm plugging away" would be all that it would take.

At any rate, I went ahead and posted because I thought maybe someone may have heard from him and had some kind of status update.

The Pawn
05-31-2012, 02:58 AM
COW just reopened their Adventurbuilt thread after locking it because someone posted that his hat was on the way from Steve.

Wow I just read Chewie's post. I've been out of this Hobby since 2008. I ordered and received both my AB's from Steve back then.

How many customers have waited 4 years or more for their hats? Has anyone gotten a refund?

chewie louie
05-31-2012, 03:32 AM
COW just reopened their Adventurbuilt thread after locking it because someone posted that his hat was on the way from Steve.

Wow I just read Chewie's post. I've been out of this Hobby since 2008. I ordered and received both my AB's from Steve back then.

How many customers have waited 4 years or more for their hats? Has anyone gotten a refund?

A LOT of people have been waiting as long as I have. About a year or so ago, I read an account on COW of some guy who had had enough, so he demanded a refund, which he got plus a comment from Steve stating something to the effect that he should have waited as his order was more or less "on deck." Sometime after that, Steve announced he was no longer issuing full refunds.

Gunslinger
05-31-2012, 04:30 AM
Well I'm not sure about the laws in the US, but isn't that illegal? I have a hard time in imaging a court that would think that wait time is reasonable if someone wanted out.

The Pawn
05-31-2012, 11:28 AM
It's been so long since I ordered and received mine that I don't remember, but are the hats paid in full or was Steve taking deposits.

Kt Templar
05-31-2012, 12:57 PM
I ordered my rabbit just as the CS production too off. Eventually it took a year to get it, but I was patient and didn't actually contact him till month 11 and it was basically.... "will be on it's way soon".

I feel sad about the whole situation.

I really don't feel he should have gone the 'price people out of the market' route that some vendors do to try and reduce orders to a manageable level.

Also, no one ever wants to admit that their illness might prevent them completing their work.

My personal feeling is that he should have set a 10 hat or 20 hat list.... or 50 hat list whatever he was happy with then called a halt. make those hats then reopen the list as the pile was reduced down.

bendingoak
05-31-2012, 02:01 PM
It's very easy to Monday morning quarterback what Steve did back then but no one was in his shoes. Doing a list like that doesnt work. Because as soon as you open your doors people pile on. Some people would send money anyway, even if you put a halt to the list. Saying " just put me on a list until you open your doors." the only way was to raise the prices so to cut downhow many people could afford or would pay that price. Steve didn't want to do that because he wanted everyone to be able to get a CS hat from the maker himself. Steve still thinks like a fan. It's Steve's big heart showing and it back fired on him. It was a mistake not raising his prices when he got the Indy 4 deal but that's easy for me to say.

Steve is a one man show not a big company. He's not tryingto siff anyone. He is fighting cancer and putting making hats before his own damn health and all some can think of is getting a lawer. :rolleyes:

Kt Templar
05-31-2012, 02:14 PM
I'm sorry John, but I really do not agree with the trying to price people out of the market approach. That comes from the cynical advice of The Discredited One and is a horrible way to do things.

Yes, I agree that i's hard to draw the line. But to price people out not the best way to go about it. I understand that you don't want to turn away trade, but how does pandering to the rich folk make it fairer?

And I know how things are, I have watched 2 close people battle cancer now.

bendingoak
05-31-2012, 02:32 PM
So, it's much better to do what Steve has done now and have people be frustrated at him. You just don't understand the amount of orders that came to him in a very short period. Also $650.00 price tag is almost what his prices should have been a long time ago. He should be higher then that. That's what his hats are worth based of his work and knowing what he pays for supplies and the labor he puts into them and the level of craftmenship you are getting. Steve should have looked out for himself. He would have made some real money, not have so much health problems, not work 16 hour days 7 days a week, and no one looking to hang him.

I understand everyones frustration but it's not helping to try and Monday morning quarterback him. I have two hats on order from him and been waiting 4 years myself. At this piont I don't give a shit about the hats. I would rather see him recover. I'm not saying that's what everyone else should do, I'm not. All I know he is working on the remander of that list the best he can with the way his health is now. He is a very honest man and is busting his ass to get to everyone. He has never stiffed anyone to date. I know that really doesn't help much but that's all your going to get.

chewie louie
05-31-2012, 03:26 PM
I would be satisfied, and I'm sure many others would be as well, with just a brief monthly update on the Adventurebilt website regarding the current status of orders. It could be something as simple as this:

"Dear costumers and friends, I just wanted to let you know that all is well. At the present time I am working on orders that were placed on or around <insert general time frame here>. Please know that I am making every effort possible to fill your orders as quickly as I can. I appreciate your continued patience and understanding. Sincerely, Steve"

That's it, and I'm sure it would allay the fears and frustrations of so many, and in turn reduce everyones stress levels, most importantly, Steve's.

Is this really asking too much?

bendingoak
05-31-2012, 03:34 PM
There is no way for him to give you updates other then that he is working on that list.

Indiana Blooze
05-31-2012, 03:39 PM
As a reference, I just checked on the wait time for Randall Knives. As per their webpage, they are now filling orders for delivery in 2017. If I am not mistaken, this has been the case for years. I think there are probably similar wait times with some custom gunsmiths also. If you want the best, sometimes you are just going to have to wait.

I too have crossed the four year mark, waiting for my new AB grey CS hat. Well, so be it. I'll get it when it's done. Steve's health is more important than a couple hundred dollars I spent years ago. I am well past the point of feeling the pain of having spent the money. If somebody is still feeling the pinch, maybe they should not have ordered one to begin with. With the amount of money fans shell out for gear, especially jackets and replica props, this sum of money is a drop in the bucket.

We live in a society of instant gratification. When dealing with artists and craftsmen, the priority should not be with the cost or delivery time, or else you'd be getting your gear from Ebay or Walmart. It is the quality of the product you are purchasing.

Can you imagine the onslaught if Ferrari started selling their Scuderias for $20,000. Yeah $20k is a lot of money to me, but for a custom Ferrari.... I'd scrape it together some how. This is essentially what Steve did, all the while doing what he thought was best for the common Indy fan. What was best for the fans was not necessarily what was best for Steve. Throw the health issues on top of it, and it's easy to see how he got jammed up.

One day I will find a box from Mississippi at my back door, with one of the finest handmade hats ever crafted. Until then, I'm just going to live my life.

Gunslinger
05-31-2012, 08:57 PM
It's very easy to Monday morning quarterback what Steve did back then but no one was in his shoes. ...
Steve is a one man show not a big company. He's not tryingto siff anyone. He is fighting cancer and putting making hats before his own damn health and all some can think of is getting a lawer. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying to get a lawyer. I'm saying that as unfortunate as the situation is, people would be legally entitled to a refund. So at the very least, id be making damn sure I communicated with people who gave me money years earlier.

For what it's worth I agree with his price rising strategy. I just don't see why it's so hard to do a regular 'no reply' mass email.

The Pawn
05-31-2012, 10:44 PM
Depending on which State's law is applied, but in Mississippi there is a three years statute of limitations for breach of contract which may run from the date of sale or discovery by the buyer that a breach has occurred.

Is Steve still sick and taking new orders from customers while maintaining his current 4 year backlog?

bendingoak
05-31-2012, 10:55 PM
It's very easy to Monday morning quarterback what Steve did back then but no one was in his shoes. ...

I'm not saying to get a lawyer. I'm saying that as unfortunate as the situation is, people would be legally entitled to a refund. So at the very least, id be making damn sure I communicated with people who gave me money years earlier.

For what it's worth I agree with his price rising strategy. I just don't see why it's so hard to do a regular 'no reply' mass email.

Can't send out mass email when he works differently then I do. I have digital copies of order as well as paper. It would take him more time to do that. Even if he sent out emails to everyone. It wouldn't change anything but delay your hat even further.

Gunslinger
05-31-2012, 10:59 PM
Administration is part of business. For less than the profit he makes on one full priced hat he could have someone set up a system to get it done.

crismans
06-01-2012, 02:28 AM
Well, I didn't mean for this to get ugly. I probably should have realized it might, but I was genuinely curious as to whether anyone had heard from him. Like I said, it's a bad situation and I can see the points from both sides. I think Steve made some mistakes with some of this, but, like John said, it's easy to look back and judge the decisions. No one had ever been in Steve's place before so there was no model to go by.

I'll just wait and hope I suppose. Mainly that Steve health returns and, to a lesser degree, that I get a box from Mississippi. If Admin wants to close this before it gets ugly, I certainly don't have a problem with that.

chewie louie
06-01-2012, 03:25 AM
Administration is part of business. For less than the profit he makes on one full priced hat he could have someone set up a system to get it done.

A lot less. Some people have even stated they would volunteer and help him out for free. And I don't think this thread has gotten ugly. It's been really frustrating to see Adventurebilt threads at COW get locked down. I was under the impression things were a little different over here. Please, let's keep this open so people can have a place where they can voice their concerns respectfully, and/or announce when they get their AB.

crismans
06-01-2012, 03:58 AM
I was under the impression things were a little different over here. Please, let's keep this open so people can have a place where they can voice their concerns respectfully, and/or announce when they get their AB.

They are. The admin won't lock down a thread here because it gets a little heated (or to cover tracks for that matter). However, I have some good friends who are good friends with Steve and I don't want to have a thread I started turn into a mudslinging thing (not that it has yet, but it could easily). I am frustrated and think i have a right to be, but I can see the other side as well. It's just a bad situation all the way around.

Gunslinger
06-01-2012, 05:19 AM
I don't think anyone's going to start throwing mud. It'd just be the wrong thing to do in the circumstances.

The Pawn
06-01-2012, 11:43 AM
I feel for you Chewie, I paid several thousand dollars for a Star Wars studio scale prop back in 2007 from a member on the RPF. I have not heard from him since 2008 after repeated emails and unanswered phone calls. Supposedly he went through a divorce, had health problems, his dog died, etc... All I know, I'm out my money. No matter what anyone else says, 4 years is way too long to wait for an item when paid in full. That's why Icons went out of business and eFx only takes deposits.

It sounds like Steve is relying on new sales to pay for material for old sales. If he doesn't get enough new sales, then he can't buy material to make the older ones, that's why he cannot offer refunds as the cash flow has died up. I find it disturbing that under current conditions, anyone would recommend purchasing a new AB until Steve's health and business is back in order.

bigrex
06-01-2012, 08:04 PM
I waited around two years and could see the handwriting on the wall, I sold my place in line to someone else for the value of what I paid for the hat. We both managed to contact Steve about the change of position and he gave his blessing to it so to speak. Still we just got lucky as far as contacting him. The wait time was advertised as being a little over a year at the time I made my purchase, maybe in early 2008, since then the wait time keeps getting longer. If the poor gentleman can't even see properly how can we expect him to make significant daily headway on hat orders? I just have to shake my head and pray for his well being and improved health. What everyone on the waiting list is going through must be a trifle compared to what he is going through.

admin
07-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Yes. He is a spammer. I have banned him and will clean up his posts. It looks like we need to reset up the membership registration system again. Apparently anyone who wants to register can do so with no verification at this time.

chewie louie
07-24-2012, 06:33 PM
Looks like someone at COW who placed an order in 2007, got their AB.

Gunslinger
07-25-2012, 01:25 AM
Jesus, that's hard core.

chewie louie
09-20-2012, 08:13 PM
Anybody out there hear anything from Steve lately? I'm starting to lose it again. I don't think I'll see my hat or my money again. I know that a bad feedback thread at COW promptly locked down. Someone posted this link: http://www.scaminformer.com/scam-report/adventurebilt-hat-company-adventurebilt-hat-company-steve-delk-adventurebilt-hat-c40773.html

bendingoak
09-24-2012, 07:44 PM
I just responded. I hope that helps.

neutronbomb
10-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Indy_cheers

chewie louie
11-02-2012, 04:56 AM
Well, somebody at COW recently posted that when he placed his order back in March of 2008 he got his hat in September of that same year. This is without question, one of the most infuriating experiences in my entire life.

Indiana Bugs
11-10-2012, 10:49 PM
That was around the time that CS was released so demand wasn't what it would be shortly after that time. And then add in his subsequent health issues, and, well, we all know the story.

chewie louie
11-13-2012, 04:22 PM
That was around the time that CS was released so demand wasn't what it would be shortly after that time. And then add in his subsequent health issues, and, well, we all know the story.

Yeah, except I ordered mine before that guy, so it makes things all the more frustrating. Anyway, I called Steve a week or so ago and actually spoke to his mom. She says he's doing well. Gave me his cell phone and I called and left a message. No response. No surprise.

djd
05-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Shocked to read the January post from Steve (copied at the Raven from a post at COW). Poor guy.

steambot
05-28-2013, 12:29 AM
Shocked to read the January post from Steve (copied at the Raven from a post at COW). Poor guy.

You know, I haven't really followed all of this over the years because I'd never particularly had any intention of ordering an AB - not because I don't love the CS hat, but it had more to do with money (I do love John Penman's hats, and they're definitely more affordable) and, um, well, there was also some stuff between myself and Fedora going back more than a decade. But I tracked down the post you're referring to (don't post at any other boards, currently) and something about it really got to me - and the fact that for once I had enough free money to buy one of these expensive hats... well, I ended up ordering one. I contacted Steve via email before ordering and he quoted a couple of weeks, and that's what he delivered. I actually received great communication from him every step of the way, too.

Now, like I said, I hadn't really been following all of this too closely, and can't speak for the things he's gone through, or the business decisions he's made, or what's going on with the people who'd ordered years ago or can't get into contact with him, but personally I believe he's completely on the up-and-up with absolutely no intention to deceive or rip anyone off. More than that, obviously, I couldn't say, having no knowledge of anyone else's experiences (although I also put a lot of stock in John's opinions since I've had nothing but stellar experiences with him).

But, it's a beautiful hat. I think the shape actually works better for my face than any other hat I have, too. I'll try and get a decent picture sometime...

HENRY JONES JR.
05-28-2013, 12:55 AM
Financially, he's terrible. And with his health problems, he's not feeling well either. I'm suprised you got him to get a hat made, when others still don't have thiers, or thier money.

I feel for the guy.

I for one, would LOVE to see your new fedora!

crismans
05-28-2013, 02:53 AM
Now, like I said, I hadn't really been following all of this too closely, and can't speak for the things he's gone through, or the business decisions he's made, or what's going on with the people who'd ordered years ago or can't get into contact with him, but personally I believe he's completely on the up-and-up with absolutely no intention to deceive or rip anyone off. More than that, obviously, I couldn't say, having no knowledge of anyone else's experiences (although I also put a lot of stock in John's opinions since I've had nothing but stellar experiences with him).

But, it's a beautiful hat. I think the shape actually works better for my face than any other hat I have, too. I'll try and get a decent picture sometime...

Did you order this fairly recently, Steambot? If so, that would really put me out. Not at you, of course!! I hope you enjoy your fedora, From what I hear they are truly a thing of beauty.

See, this whole thing is just a bad taste in my mouth. I really feel for Steve and the health problems he's had. Plus, I have the upmost respect for John Penman, who is a close friend of Steve's, and someone I consider a friend as well. It's for these two reasons that I keep my mouth shut on this topic most of the time. But sometimes it's all I can do not to vent a little.I ordered my CS in April of 2008 (when the quoted waiting time was around two years). I didn't hear a thing back, despite repeated attempts to contact until it was posted here that Steve had lost some orders and that we needed to reorder with him. I contacted him and he emailed me back that he had my information for the order. This was in June of 2011.

It's just a bad situation all the way around. From most things I've heard, Steve is a great guy who has had a lot of health problems. I feel for him and hope that his health turns around. But I've basically had to write off $400 +. I understand that he got swamped with orders and no one could have predicted that. I knew when I ordered that the wait would be two years, but I didn't think five. Obviously his health took a downswing and that can't be predicted. But, I think the thing that upset a lot of people (I don't understand it myself) is why he charged a premium to work on his day off and produce hats for those willing to pay it to jump line. I would have much preferred him to enjoy his day off and work on his back orders on his working days.

HENRY JONES JR.
05-28-2013, 04:18 AM
Two weeks as opposed to a five year wait does seem unfair. Can't say I can blame you for your view.

djd
05-28-2013, 05:11 AM
To put things in perspective, in January Steve posted about his serious health and financial issues. He said he needed half a dozen new orders to get him on track. Then he could get on with his back log. It was a very difficult and honest post I thought. Steambots would have been one of these I imagine.

crismans
05-28-2013, 01:53 PM
That does help put things in perspective a little. To be honest, I've not seen his post and perhaps I should have inquired more into its contents before I posted. Thanks djd!

djd
05-28-2013, 02:53 PM
It seems his health care costs have completely wiped him out poor fellow. Makes me glad that we have our 'socialist' health service over here.....

steambot
05-31-2013, 01:09 AM
To put things in perspective, in January Steve posted about his serious health and financial issues. He said he needed half a dozen new orders to get him on track. Then he could get on with his back log. It was a very difficult and honest post I thought. Steambots would have been one of these I imagine.

Yeah, after seeing that a few weeks ago I contacted him and asked about it, and he said he'd only sold 3 of the 6 needed (4 now, with mine).

steambot
05-31-2013, 05:41 PM
Well, anyway, here's a couple of pics.

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb431/crambeast/hat1.jpg

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb431/crambeast/hat2-1.jpg

djd
05-31-2013, 07:20 PM
Nice. Different ribbon to that on my Raiders AB

New Yorker Jones
06-22-2013, 04:50 AM
Just ordered a beaver Crystal Skull from him today; I emailed him yesterday and I heard back within 24 hours.

bendingoak
06-22-2013, 08:33 AM
Just to pop in and try to shed a little light for you guys and dolls. The list of health issues is long. Heart problems, diebetes, retna detachment to loss of vision in one eye, colon and prostate cancer. As it was stated he posted about how it wiped him and any money he had. No health insurance.

I sent him as much as I could afford and put up some hats for sale that I have and sent the profit to Steve to help him. I hope it was enough to hold him until things get kicking in gear but I'm afraid that even with him getting past the cancer his health isn't that great and he has good and bad days. You can't really go by what his mothers says because he tries to protect her by keeping her out of the loop.

I think after the weekend I'll try posting the few hats I have left to see if I can help him some more. I was a little put off that no other hat maker has tried to help him. Especially the ones he helped get into the biz.

djd
06-22-2013, 08:39 AM
Thank you for the update John. You're a a good man

crismans
06-22-2013, 01:54 PM
That's great, John. You are truly someone that a friend would want in his corner. As I usually do, I've mouthed off before learning the whole story. I always understood that health issues became a big problem but did not understand the extent. And I now understand (I believe) his reason for "leap-frogging" some orders. At any rate, my hat order pales in comparison to what Steve has been facing.

I wish Steve the best and hope that his health improves and his financial difficulties improve.

bendingoak
06-23-2013, 01:05 AM
That's the thing that really sucks. His illnesses bankrupt him. I find it funny if you commit a crime and can't afford a lawer will be provided for you. Get sick and your screwed.

indydude18
06-23-2013, 01:19 AM
John, you're so right. No insurance = you're fucked. My mother is going through something similar, chemotherapy with radiation. Her chances are 50/50.

Now, I'm not religious, but I do believe in the "spiritual being". I believe a positive perspective/outlook is the most important thing when a person is going through something as horrible as this. My entire family has a positive outlook regarding my mothers treatment, and so does she. I'm thankful to see that she's pulling through strongly.

If Steve has a positive attitude, he WILL get better. No if, ands, or buts. Steve, hopefully someone will pass this message along to you. Keep a positive attitude, and you'll see wonders. We're all rooting for you. We want you around for years and years. I wish you a speedy recovery and all my best regards Steve.

New Yorker Jones
06-23-2013, 01:48 PM
Seems like Steve already has that positive attitude and keeps the faith. This is his response to my email:

Hey Jim. I sure appreciate it. Yes it would help me out tremendously. I prayed last night for a sale and it looks like God heard me. As he heard the multitude of prayers sent His way in my sickness that he cured me from. These days I am worth much more dead than alive! LOL. So yes sir, I thank you so much for your consideration. Just place the order at www.adventurebilthats.com and I get the hat made and to you in July. Thanks and may peace be with you. Steve

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 9:01 AM, James Cembrook <jcem99@aol.com> wrote:

Hello Steve,
I hope you are doing well. I just saw your last post on COW. I would like to help you out and order a beaver Raiders hat. Please let me know if this is still feasible as I know you have a huge backload of orders. But if it can help you to help them, please let me know. Thank you and God bless!

Jim Cembrook

neutronbomb
06-24-2013, 04:20 PM
This post is certainly not meant to offend anyone. I also want to add my best regards and well wishes for his health to Mr. Delk.

By all accounts and Steve's close friends have mentioned this more than once, Steve is an honorable man with the best intentions. Still getting to his workshop to work on his backlog despite his battle for his health. Maybe one day he'll finish it. Maybe he won't. Time will tell and nothing can change that. No amount of complaints. No amount of badgering. No amount of hindsight or backseat driving. What's done is done.

After carefully going through all the information that's been posted on this situation, this is how everything appears to read:

Steve took orders from individuals back in 2008 to make them custom made fedoras. He charged them the full price at the time upfront when they placed the order. Herein lies the issue and its not just with Steve. It's with any vendor who charges full price upfront when the order is placed. I believe the fact is there is always an element of risk and a gamble for the consumer on this type of transaction or order. Unless you take the candy bar to the counter and exchange money for it and take it with you, then you must accept the risk. That the vendor won't die or go bankrupt or take the money and run before the order is complete and sent to you. I myself had to pay several thousand dollars upfront with Tony Nowak when I commissioned him with my families jacket project. It was for the batch of skins, materials, labor, overhead, and profit. All upfront. Otherwise he wouldn't do it. The vendors perspective is they can't take the risk to spend all of the above and then get stiffed. So the consumer has to decide whether to accept their whole side of the risk equation. It was the only way to get my families jacket project commissioned and that's just the deal. Otherwise I don't ever get the jackets. And I love those jackets. I really, really.....really wanted those jackets. Still a bit of a gamble though no. Because Tony was already showing signs of congestive heart failure back in 2009 when I met him. He'd start wheezing and gasping and have to sit down. I tried to talk to him and tell him to take care of himself and go get checked out and stop working 18 hour days, but who am I. He's going to do what he's going to do. If he'd had his heart attack before he ordered my batch of skins or finished making the jackets or had them shipped to me, I very may well have lost all that money. That is the inherit risk and gamble to the consumer when they agree to pay upfront.

Unfortunately, it reads like this is the situation that happened with Mr. Delk. That he received all of the money for the order upfront. For materials, supplies, labor, and profit. For lots and lots of orders. Now clearly it would seem best to have all this money in a business account and to be able to track it and account for it. To not claim it or consider it as the vendors until the order is completed and shipped to the consumer so refunds on an order can take place if a vendor is unable to complete it. Only part of the money spent as necessary for supplies and material as the order goes through to completion, etc. But from what's been written, it sounds like it didn't happen this way. Steve's health took a turn for the worst and he found himself in a situation where his life was on the line and apparently all the order money was spent on medical bills. In order to try and save his life. This would mean basically that he spent money that wasn't his to spend and this is why he isn't able to complete orders or give refunds. He did it to save his life. Now he's in a situation where he needs new orders at a price that can cover materials and supplies for both new and old orders. He must prioritize the new orders first and complete them and make sure the customer receives them as soon as possible or else he won't receive any more new orders and thus won't be able to continue working on his backlog.

bendingoak
06-25-2013, 02:29 AM
There is a risk to the vendor if he doesn't take money up front. Last time I checked you can't buy anything without paying for it first.

neutronbomb
06-25-2013, 06:58 AM
That part of my post must have got lost in there somewhere with the candy bar and Tony Nowak story. But you're right of course. I agree that there's risk to the vendor if they don't take money up front and you do have to pay for pretty much everything.

chewie louie
07-09-2013, 03:12 AM
If anyone is still waiting on order they placed with Steve, please PM me.

New Yorker Jones
07-31-2013, 04:10 PM
Since I placed my order with Steve, I have not heard from him. Granted I've only been waiting 5 weeks compared to those waiting 5 years. Just that he said it would be done in July. I emailed him twice the past week and a half but no response. I just hope he's busy getting older hat orders out. That's one reason why I placed the order. I don't wear fedoras often and I thought it would be cool to have a KOTCS fedora made by the man himself. So I wanted to pay it forward and help him out to help others get their fedoras. We'll see.

HENRY JONES JR.
08-01-2013, 04:12 AM
Since I placed my order with Steve, I have not heard from him. Granted I've only been waiting 5 weeks compared to those waiting 5 years. Just that he said it would be done in July. I emailed him twice the past week and a half but no response. I just hope he's busy getting older hat orders out. That's one reason why I placed the order. I don't wear fedoras often and I thought it would be cool to have a KOTCS fedora made by the man himself. So I wanted to pay it forward and help him out to help others get their fedoras. We'll see.

I just don't understand why he can't just answer an email. Please keep us posted on if you hear anything, or nothing at all. I sure hope you get it.

Gunslinger
08-01-2013, 07:05 AM
It's just rude, I'm sorry. If I didn't answer client emails I wouldn't be in business very long. You take someone's money you owe them communication. If you can't do that stuff yourself you organise a solution.

HENRY JONES JR.
08-02-2013, 03:54 AM
It's just rude, I'm sorry. If I didn't answer client emails I wouldn't be in business very long. You take someone's money you owe them communication. If you can't do that stuff yourself you organise a solution.

He's asking for people to send him money to make a hat (they are very expensive hats) to help him out for his situation, but he's certainly not instilling confidence in those that do send him big bucks. After hearing this, people may think twice about sending him money. This sure is a risk now. I sure hope New Yorker Jones gets his hat. I hope everyone in the past who ordered one years ago gets thier hats as well.

C'mon steve....send back an email to your fully paid up front customer.

New Yorker Jones
08-02-2013, 01:23 PM
Still no word from him. I emailed him twice in the past two weeks, I don't want to be a pest. I know others have been waiting A LOT longer than me. I was doing it to help him out to help others. Some people in this hobby helped me out when I was down, and I was very appreciative of their generosity. So I wanted to pay it forward. I just don't want to be a sucker when I got this email from him:

Hey Jim. I sure appreciate it. Yes it would help me out tremendously. I prayed last night for a sale and it looks like God heard me. As he heard the multitude of prayers sent His way in my sickness that he cured me from. These days I am worth much more dead than alive! LOL. So yes sir, I thank you so much for your consideration. Just place the order at www.adventurebilthats.com and I get the hat made and to you in July. Thanks and may peace be with you. Steve

HENRY JONES JR.
08-03-2013, 03:21 AM
Still no word from him. I emailed him twice in the past two weeks, I don't want to be a pest. I know others have been waiting A LOT longer than me. I was doing it to help him out to help others. Some people in this hobby helped me out when I was down, and I was very appreciative of their generosity. So I wanted to pay it forward. I just don't want to be a sucker when I got this email from him:

You are kind hearted. Pay it forward is honorable. How much did you pay him?

In over two weeks he hasn't checked his email? I bet if someone was looking to buy a hat from him, he's see THAT email.

Did God tell steve that July is over, and it's August now?

New Yorker Jones
08-03-2013, 03:47 AM
Thank you. Well some people helped me out and I wanted to help others.

Paid him $695 with shipping.

Yeah, well we'll see if he backs his word, or uses his predicament as an excuse to get money.

HENRY JONES JR.
08-03-2013, 05:44 AM
Thank you. Well some people helped me out and I wanted to help others.

Paid him $695 with shipping.

Yeah, well we'll see if he backs his word, or uses his predicament as an excuse to get money.

$695? Ouch. His hats are superb, and he's got an Indi film to back it up. I have a lot of respect for his work, however, at this point, I think he should stop asking for money for making fedoras, as he seems to be getting in deeper, and won't even answer customers emails. He sees them. He just chooses to ignore them. Perhaps he can't bring himself to make more excuses.

This is borderline fraud.

Does he have an address that someone can visit?

djd
08-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Visit? Visit and do what? The man's been very sick. I dont agree with some of his business choices and I have every sympathy with those waiting for hats but I also have some sympathy for Steve or anyone else who finds themselves bankrupted through ill health

HENRY JONES JR.
08-04-2013, 03:49 AM
He shouldn't be taking any new orders. I too feel bad about his situation, and health, but what he's doing is not right. If someone owed me $695, and didn't come thru with his promise, and didn't answer any of my emails, I'd visit to find out what's going on. "Hi. I'm just checking to see how the progress is going on my hat. Being you haven't answered any of my emails, and promised my hat to be delivered last month, I'm just checking to see if it's done, as I'd love to have my hat. Can I see what it looks like?"

If he's too sick to make hats, then he should never take people's money. With all due respect to the man, it's not fedora fans responsibility to take care of his medical needs under false pretences.

Gunslinger
08-04-2013, 04:32 AM
That's pretty much my opinion as well. I have nothing but sympathy for the circumstances of his illness and the incredibly cruddy healthcare system in the U.S. (which astounds me) but there are a few lines that you can't cross. Taking people's money has strings attached - if not just legal but practical ones if you want to be able to continue to trade. If you are reliant on goodwill, then people need to know you are going to make good, and communication goes a long way.

Over the years I've lost money when business deals have gone bad when a client has gone bust. Nothing incredibly huge but still in 5 figure territory - enough to set back my own business for at least a year through no fault of mine other than taking people at their word. The lessons I've unfortunately had to learn are 1) never deal with startups (unless you are actually a friend); 2) don't cut people too much slack unless you are 100% willing to consider whatever money they owe you or that you've given them a charity. Because chances are you may very well not get it back. (got one guy who fits that category for me to the tune of $5k at the moment, actually). 3) Be ~very~ aware of what people tell you, under what circumstances, and why they are doing so. This also goes for when they do /don't communicate. Only communicating when they are accepting money or talking their way out of giving it to you, with no communication any other time? When I'm doing accounts, that signals Big red flags, alarms, sirens. Etc. Here, I don't ~think~ so, but the behaviour makes it impossible to tell.

So I don't for a second think Steve is full of crap or anything, and absolutely think that the guy does need help, but he'd be doing himself a massive favour by being much more transparent about what's going on, and updating everyone involved regularly.

HENRY JONES JR.
08-04-2013, 04:55 AM
That's pretty much my opinion as well. I have nothing but sympathy for the circumstances of his illness and the incredibly cruddy healthcare system in the U.S. (which astounds me) but there are a few lines that you can't cross. Taking people's money has strings attached - if not just legal but practical ones if you want to be able to continue to trade. If you are reliant on goodwill, then people need to know you are going to make good, and communication goes a long way.

Over the years I've lost money when business deals have gone bad when a client has gone bust. Nothing incredibly huge but still in 5 figure territory - enough to set back my own business for at least a year through no fault of mine other than taking people at their word. The lessons I've unfortunately had to learn are 1) never deal with startups (unless you are actually a friend); 2) don't cut people too much slack unless you are 100% willing to consider whatever money they owe you or that you've given them a charity. Because chances are you may very well not get it back. (got one guy who fits that category for me to the tune of $5k at the moment, actually). 3) Be ~very~ aware of what people tell you, under what circumstances, and why they are doing so. This also goes for when they do /don't communicate. Only communicating when they are accepting money or talking their way out of giving it to you, with no communication any other time? When I'm doing accounts, that signals Big red flags, alarms, sirens. Etc. Here, I don't ~think~ so, but the behaviour makes it impossible to tell.

So I don't for a second think Steve is full of crap or anything, and absolutely think that the guy does need help, but he'd be doing himself a massive favour by being much more transparent about what's going on, and updating everyone involved regularly.

That is exactly how I feel about this.

New Yorker Jones
08-04-2013, 07:14 PM
I filed a claim with Paypal and within 36 hours, I had a reply from Steve saying it would be done by August 21st. Coincidence? We'll see how it goes now. Why couldn't he have done this before when I just wanted to know the timeline of my hat? And what happened to being done in July? He could've had just responded that to me and avoided this.

Gunslinger
08-04-2013, 10:07 PM
That's great to hear, NYJ. At least Paypal gives you some insurance / leverage.

HENRY JONES JR.
08-05-2013, 03:30 AM
I filed a claim with Paypal and within 36 hours, I had a reply from Steve saying it would be done by August 21st. Coincidence? We'll see how it goes now. Why couldn't he have done this before when I just wanted to know the timeline of my hat? And what happened to being done in July? He could've had just responded that to me and avoided this.

- - - Updated - - -

Coincidence?? Not on your life. He doesn't want the money to be refunded.

I'm sorry, but he brought it upon himself.

Just like you said, all he had to do was email you, and let you know what was going on. That's all.

You did the right thing.

Oildale Jones
08-08-2013, 06:26 AM
Um, hi. I was looking for the thread about Steve and his hats?

Last year, yet another thread popped up on COW about this and I offered my opinion. For that, and for not having a dog in the fight, I was banned for a week. That was the last time I posted on COW.

neutronbomb
08-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Yeah, now I'm going to have to split this thread. We've done a good job of keeping it interesting and not devolved into a political argument fest. So good job on that.

An now we have to ban Oildale. Once again he's crossed the line. JK. :)

BYW - does PayPal have a time limit on when they will give a refund? Like 45 days or something.

bendingoak
08-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Steve, just had another surgery. I think this is why he hasn't responded. Thanks everyone for your understanding.

Tibor
08-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Thanks John. That's good to know. Best wishes, Steve.

neutronbomb
08-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Here's that post made in January. That was 7 months ago. It sounds like from reading it that he has the supplies as far as hat bodies go anyway to make hats. But it's also very sad to hear in his own words how dire his financial straits are. Basically living out of a camper with nothing else really and severely ill. At the time he posted this his water was getting shut off and his family couldn't help him out anymore. Additionally, except for his hat shop located on his mothers property with at least some materials, the only thing he had left was to go on COW as a last resort and ask Indy fans for more orders or charity. Maybe they're the same thing at this point. It's difficult to fathom what he's going through and how it must be impacting him.

And now (thank you for the update John) he's unfortunately had to have another surgery. It sounds like money is so tight that it's a miracle he could get that surgery. Hopefully it was an already planned surgery and not something unexpected. It really hit home John when he says he didn't know a human could suffer like he has and that the insurance policy that his daughter has kept up would pay for all the refunds and then that he was surprised he hadn't already been turned in for fraud. Man, at what point do you have to become so destitute that you now qualify for the free medical care that the unisured are able to get according to what some of the guys on here have been talking about.

"Originally Posted by Fedora
Hello all. I am sure most of the fans here know I have suffered from cancer and have been really sick for a long time as we fought it. I have suffered like I did not know a human could suffer but it seems that I have it beat, I think. I am in remission. My immune system is still weak and I seem to catch everything that goes around and even a scratching a bump turns into a huge infection. I am now finally recovering from the flu with pneumonia which the flu turned into and have had to deal with that since Dec.

But this long illness has left me devastated financially which has effected the business of getting hats made on old orders. And so I am here with hat in hand begging for some help. I really need to sell 6 beaver hats in order to get the production moving again. And while I have pride I will accept charity too as I am in dire straits today. I have lost everything but my hat shop which is still on my mom's land. I live in a 30 ft camper, having lost my house but the only money that I owe are hospital bills, chemo bills and of course I owe people hats. I paid my utility bill this month but my water will be cut off the 20th of this month. My family basically can help me out no more and so I am appealing to you guys.

I went from being on top of the world with making the last Indy hat to almost dying and losing everything. My life insurance policy would have cleared up the old orders by refunds which would be handled by my daughter so no one would have lost a thing upon my death. My daughter has kept that paid up for me thankfully.

So if 6 people would please purchase a beaver hat real soon it would save me and I would get these made within 4 weeks as I have a huge cache of hat bodies bought several years ago when times were good and before I became ill.

I am a proud guy but I have had to lose that pride with this illness and so I will take charity if no one wants a hat. This is killing me to have to come here in this way but it is my last resort. I feel that if something does not happen to turn this around I very well could be charged with fraud or something similiar. I am frankly surprised it has not happened already, but being as sick as I was that was not my top worry. Living longer, or not dying was.

My email is sdelk@cableone.net if anyone can donate to old Fedora and I will thank you ahead of time. Also anyone that wants to email me you can do so at that address. You guys know my website so I won't post that.

I want to get back on top of things and gain some respectability again yet that will require some help from the fans, and I hope I am not asking too much. God Bless all of you and I hope this is a good year for all of us.

Oh, I have a cell phone, but no service right now. If I can sell 6 hats and get some charity help, I can get it on. My number is 662 570 5873 and I will post here when I get it on so if anyone wants to talk they can call me. I am not at the site phone number as that is my mom's phone and I no longer use it. Thanks! Steve Delk"

Gunslinger
08-08-2013, 11:11 PM
It's really horrible.

crismans
08-09-2013, 02:00 AM
It does really put things in perspective. When I learned some of this (I haven't read Steve's post before now so I didn't know the full extent), I thought that not getting my hat wasn't that big of a deal anymore. I am sometimes quick to judge and it was a lesson that hit me between the eyes.

HENRY JONES JR.
08-09-2013, 03:24 AM
Um, hi. I was looking for the thread about Steve and his hats?

Last year, yet another thread popped up on COW about this and I offered my opinion. For that, and for not having a dog in the fight, I was banned for a week. That was the last time I posted on COW.

Why were people treated so poorly on that site? I almost joined there, but I chose to come here first. Sounds like a terrible owner /mod with a complex.

Why are grown men punished over there?

Oildale Jones
08-12-2013, 06:43 AM
BYW - does PayPal have a time limit on when they will give a refund? Like 45 days or something.

Yes, 45 days. Which is why you'll find that unethical sellers (or straight rip-off artists) will try to string you along past the 45-day limit so you have no recourse. So if you hit 44 days, file a claim. You can always cancel it if the seller comes around.

Oildale Jones
08-12-2013, 06:56 AM
Why were people treated so poorly on that site? I almost joined there, but I chose to come here first. Sounds like a terrible owner /mod with a complex.

Why are grown men punished over there?

Evidently there are other Indy-related sites out there, but COW was the only one I joined. I enjoyed the discussions and the people, although some of them could be a little arrogant. Then there was the whole Patterson incident and I came over here. (Sort of a dual-citizenship deal.) There's just a lot of secretiveness, and a feeling of trying to protect their little kingdom, as evidenced first and foremost by their restricted forum. Anyone can browse here, for example, but you have to register to browse the forum there. Like they're trying to control the information stored there.

I think their attitude is like the government's: "We don't care; we don't have to." They feel like they're the only site that counts, so no matter how members are treated, where else are they going to to? Plus there was a lot of circling the wagons when the Patterson deal blew up, and they didn't like being challenged on it. Fortunately, there's F&G as well as several Facebook groups.

Why are some of the mods dicks? I don't know, but maybe having dominion over a little piece of the Internet has gone to their heads. (Never mind that in the real world, it counts for almost nothing.) For more in-depth discussion on this, see http://www.fortuneandglory.org/forums/forums/25-The-Last-Stand

New Yorker Jones
08-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Got my hat today;D. Looks awesome, will post pics later when my wife gets home. As Steve apologized for the delay in emails, he stated last week what John confirmed:

The hat was supposed to be completed and shipped out in July but I was admitted to the hospital the 10th of July and had two surgeries and then had to recuperate. I have your hat on the block and will work it up this week. I will send you a tracking number when I ship it this week. Sorry for the confusion, my fault. Steve

crismans
08-12-2013, 10:46 PM
Glad you got your hat! And I wish good fortune to Steve that his surgeries are behind him and he can get his financial worries behind him too.

HENRY JONES JR.
08-13-2013, 01:25 AM
Glad you got your hat! And I wish good fortune to Steve that his surgeries are behind him and he can get his financial worries behind him too.

Totally ditto to the above! Indy_cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Evidently there are other Indy-related sites out there, but COW was the only one I joined. I enjoyed the discussions and the people, although some of them could be a little arrogant. Then there was the whole Patterson incident and I came over here. (Sort of a dual-citizenship deal.) There's just a lot of secretiveness, and a feeling of trying to protect their little kingdom, as evidenced first and foremost by their restricted forum. Anyone can browse here, for example, but you have to register to browse the forum there. Like they're trying to control the information stored there.

I think their attitude is like the government's: "We don't care; we don't have to." They feel like they're the only site that counts, so no matter how members are treated, where else are they going to to? Plus there was a lot of circling the wagons when the Patterson deal blew up, and they didn't like being challenged on it. Fortunately, there's F&G as well as several Facebook groups.

Why are some of the mods dicks? I don't know, but maybe having dominion over a little piece of the Internet has gone to their heads. (Never mind that in the real world, it counts for almost nothing.) For more in-depth discussion on this, see http://www.fortuneandglory.org/forums/forums/25-The-Last-Stand

Thanks for the information Oildale Jones. When I tried to join COW, my username (the one I use here) was already in use, so an email said it was taken, and to try a new one. I then joined here, and my username had not been used, so was able to use it when I joined. I got another email from Cow that said the same about my username, then another, and another, and another! I was thinking.....man....perhaps they are desperate for members. LOL.

admin
08-14-2013, 12:05 AM
The U.S. health care discussion as been split from this thread and moved to here http://www.fortuneandglory.org/forums/threads/2203-US-Health-Care-Discussion

METKISS
03-19-2015, 04:18 PM
Can someone please give me some idea of the current status of the Adventurebilt Hat company and it's elusive founder Mr Steve Delk?... I know this might be going over old territory for many people on this website, but........................... My 2008 order has still not arrived....my last contact with him was late 2013 when the hat was promised by the end of 2014 (SIX YEARS after the order was placed!!!!!)..... as of now ,March 2015, NO Hat! .. I've emailed five times this year without any answer....I am fully aware of all the financial and health problems surrounding Steve Delk, however I am now losing patience with him... I have requested that the money I sent in 2008 be returned, but still no reply from him!.... this really is getting beyond a joke!!!!
Any news from you guys out there regarding what's going on would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks

neutronbomb
03-19-2015, 06:20 PM
I moved your post to the Steve Delk thread located in other purveyors of Indy gear. The last info in the thread was that he needed to charge more money to make new hats, complete them, send them out, and then use the extra money from the increase in prices to work on old orders. We had one member order a new hat at the increased price and receive it. This was sometime ago and so far we haven't received any updates on how that plan has been working for Steve. I get the impression that most of those back orders from years ago have just given up and hope someday a hat from Steve shows up.

Bending Oak/John Penman is your best bet for getting any sort of current update, but be warned he defends Steve with a vengeance despite the facts pointing to Steve simply taking all the order money over a significant period of time, spending it on personal bills, and not making the hats. Without any updates from anyone saying they received their hats, there's little left to think except that Steve is flat broke and unable to make hats. Speculation, but possibly the reality?

Ram Man
03-19-2015, 10:49 PM
Just a few questions; Are not Marc Kitter and Steve partners in this affair? Are they two completely different companies? Could Marc not assist Steve in providing for the 'customer'? Trust me, I am not one to fight over money and if it was me I probably wouldn't even ask for it back considering Steve's circumstances but out of respect for those who provide his bread and butter....communicate with them!!! Even if it means humbling yourself and pleading for understanding from those your indebted to!! It's not asking a lot from a person no matter his circumstances. We all suffer hardships in life both physically and financially but that doesn't absolve anyone from responsibility. No one is asking for his head on a platter, just some courtesy to which he could entrust a friend or family member to deliver on his behalf. That would go a long way in preserving one's integrity. People would even rally to support a man of integrity but unfortunately that seems to be a quality this is lacking in todays world...

Sorry for venting and maybe this isn't my place but there is such a decline in moral values in this world and bad behavior is excused more and more without accountability for the sake of tolerance. There has to be accountability...

METKISS
03-19-2015, 11:33 PM
A few years ago I moved home and I emailed Steve Delk to give him my new address, I asked him to email me back to confirm that he had received my new address. After sending Four or five emails and not getting any reply, I contacted Marc to ask him if he would pass the info to Steve and ask him to contact me.... The Message I got back was: "usually Steve and I have a STRICT agreement on not being each others “secretary”, but in this particular case, I’ll make an exception and let him know J "..... I would guess that their business enterprises do not overlap very much :) Steve did emailed me to confirm my new address had arrived....! Not too much has happened since :(

METKISS
03-21-2015, 03:11 PM
.. just to keep everyone in the loop.... I've emailed seven times this year to find out the status of my 2008 order...which was eventually promised in 2013 to be sent to me by the end of 2014...
I've since asked for my $420 to be returned..... all the emails I send are ignored, the money is not forthcoming, I have request the money to be paid back to me
through Paypal, this request has also been ignored....I have now emailed Steve Adventurebilt Delk, insisting that he answers my emails....

"As you go through life you meet many different types of people, you try to be nice to all of them...... The problem is, Some of them just won't let you!"

HENRY JONES JR.
03-22-2015, 03:36 AM
Thanks for the update. I'm so sorry this has happened to you. $420.00 is a lot of money. I'd want my money back too. He may have problems, but it shouldn't be your problem. I have a sad feeling that you will not hear from him. I hope I'm wrong. I really hope I'm wrong.

METKISS
03-22-2015, 09:32 PM
I Emailed John Penman to see if I could get some definitive answer as to the status of my outstanding order....
He says he has no way of contacting Steve... Because of health issues Steve is broke.... He was almost homeless because of his battle with cancer with no health insurance.... He has no internet or phone..... He is living a basic existence.... and living on the charity of friends etc... So nothing new to report there, and no real answer to my question as to what's happening regarding Adventurebilt Hats and the outstanding orders ..Although Mr Penman did add : Quote... "He is working when he is able to. I know Steve to be a honourable man and he does all he can to fulfill all orders"
Make of that what you will..... Being ever the optimist, I will keep fingers and toes crossed that one day my Hat will arrive, or failing that, i'll get my money refunded..... I somehow think that I might be fooling myself...
If I get any updates to report, I'll post them here, and I trust that If Steve Delk reads this, he might be good enough to tell us what's happening about all our missing orders....

He is working when he is able to. I know Steve to be a honorable man and he does an to fulfill all orders.

neutronbomb
07-11-2015, 07:05 PM
This discussion is driven by member request directed to the site. It's a difficult discussion to be sure. However, one of the responsibilities we have. We all know the background, so I'd personally not like a rehash. The situation has been posed and it's we as members that need to provide input as to what action to take, if any.

The issue before us is whether we need to remove Penman Hats as a vendor. The situation that has brought us here is the acquition and use of the Adventurebilt name by Penman Hats. Additionally, the Penman Hat's procurement of Adventurebilt hat making equipment i.e blocks and the advertisement and sales of Adventurebilt hats by Penman Hats.

The issue is whether we wish to continue supporting Penman Hats while for all intents and purposes Adventurebilt has taken money from our members for hat purchases that have gone unfulfilled for 7+ years with a discontinuation of communication, status updates, or refunds to our members. And now with Penman Hats acquiring Adventurebilt in name, licensing, and hat making blocks the appearance that Steve Delk is now completely unable to fulfill his obligation to our members who purchased his products.

This thread is open to your thoughts, comments, and advisements.

KidHuevos
07-11-2015, 08:38 PM
Does that mean that Penman Hats will fulfill the remaining orders left behind by Delk?

(I also am not waiting in limbo for an Adventurebilt, either. I'm just curious to see what happens now.)

Ram Man
07-11-2015, 08:50 PM
Just a few questions; Are not Marc Kitter and Steve partners in this affair? Are they two completely different companies? Could Marc not assist Steve in providing for the 'customer'? Trust me, I am not one to fight over money and if it was me I probably wouldn't even ask for it back considering Steve's circumstances but out of respect for those who provide his bread and butter....communicate with them!!! Even if it means humbling yourself and pleading for understanding from those your indebted to!! It's not asking a lot from a person no matter his circumstances. We all suffer hardships in life both physically and financially but that doesn't absolve anyone from responsibility. No one is asking for his head on a platter, just some courtesy to which he could entrust a friend or family member to deliver on his behalf. That would go a long way in preserving one's integrity. People would even rally to support a man of integrity but unfortunately that seems to be a quality this is lacking in todays world... There has to be accountability...

This was and still is my opinion on the matter. As an entity, regardless of who owns the name, it would seem to me that Adventurebilt is responsible and obligated to fulfill its contractual agreement toward it's paying customers. I will admit that I don't know the LEGAL obligations that Penman hats would be under in assuming the Adeventurebilt name etc but it seems reasonable that Adventurebilt as an entity would not be absolved from its obligation to its clients unless Chapter 11 applies perhaps. I know nothing of U.S. law but I think the only recourse paying customers would have is a class action lawsuit....

crismans
07-12-2015, 03:40 AM
I am one of those who have an outstanding order with Adventurebilt. It's a bad situation all the way around, and one that has caused me a lot of frustration. I eventually wrote off ever getting a hat a long time ago. It was the only way to move on.

For transparency, I consider John a good friend so that will color any opinion I have. I'm not sure on the legal issues of the situation, but, with all respect to the others with outstanding orders, while it would be great if John could make good on those orders, I don't think it's reasonable to expect him to be able to. It was Steve who entered into the agreement with the customers, not John.

To answer the question however, I think Penman Hats should absolutely still be on the vendor list here. John has always delivered quality merchandise in a professional manner. His acquisition of Adventurebilt does not change that fact.

Ram Man
07-12-2015, 05:13 AM
while it would be great if John could make good on those orders, I don't think it's reasonable to expect him to be able to. It was Steve who entered into the agreement with the customer. I think Penman Hats should absolutely still be on the vendor list here. John has always delivered quality merchandise in a professional manner. His acquisition of Adventurebilt does not change that fact.

I agree and hopefully that's what came across in my post. I was trying to indicate that it is Adventurebilt who is under obligation and not John. That being said I am uncertain what legalities would apply to this situation...I remain neutral as to making a decision to remove Penman as a vendor as I feel it's not my place but my feelings on the matter remain the same as before.

METKISS
07-12-2015, 12:07 PM
My 2008 order is still awaiting completion (joke), so i have an Iron in this fire.....
until recently I had no idea what was happening with regard to Steve Delk, Adventurebilt Hats, and any connection to future use of company name and equipment by Penman hats. All I was aware of was that i was unable to access the AB website, and that the name 'Adventurebilt' was now appearing on the Penman company website... Everything else that has been gleaned is from Hearsay and secondhand information, so some official info from those in the know would not go amiss...having said that >>>>>>>
My opinion , for what it's worth, is this.....
Firstly, I think an explanation is required as to what has actually happened to the Steve Delk version of the Adventurebilt Hat Company, and if Mr Delk is intending to refund customers who have already paid up for orders that he will now not be completing, a refund that can now be paid with any monies recieved from Mr Penman that have been paid for equipment, and Good Will for the company etc..if indeed this is actually what has happened [citation needed] ), .. Or will Mr Delk be taking the money for his personal use, dumping any back orders in the bin, and disappearing into the long grass? Indeed further to this question, are there more recent orders paid at the higher price that are still waiting to be filled, if so,who is going to be making these?..
Secondly, I think that it would be fair to assume that if John Penman is now using the Adventurebilt name and logo to trade with, then a certain amount of responsibility and commitment is due to Steve Delk's existing customer base, and any outstanding hat orders, ...that would seem to me to be the honorable course of action .....
Thirdly, It has been mentioned about any liability regarding Marc Kitter in this matter,.. Marc has always distanced himself from the trading practices of Steve Delk and made it quite clear that his is a different company... In the case of John Penman however, he is acquiring an existing company (if that is the case), and I would think it fair to say, not only it's Name, Notoriety, and Fame, but also it's past Commitments to customers...
Some people have said that if back orders are not received, then it should NOT be down to the person who takes on that company, and to gain redress, legal action should be taken by the individual... firstly I disagree with the notion that a buyer of a company does not bear some responsibility to existing customers, And also taking legal action against a U.S. citizen from outside the country, (in my case the U.K.), is pretty much impossible....Believe me, I would have done it a long time ago if i was able to...
Lastly, apart from the seemingly, shall we say 'unorthodox' approach to dealing with paying customers, by this i mean taking money and not producing the goods, not communicating with people either on the company website or in person, making promises and not keeping them, using company funds for purposes other than for what they are intended, continuing to take thousands of dollars worth of orders when there is absolutely no way of completing them, and then disappearing without a trace, and not bothering to tell people what is going to happen to oustanding order, and hoping to get away with it ..is I must say..Beyond belief.... and this is a man that John Penman has described to me as 'Honorable'..... Hopefully Mr Penman will come forward to let us all know if he intends to take the 'Honorable' course of action and make good any outstanding debt left by Steve Delk and his company, that it would appear he has now acquired....
So before jumping in with both feet and banning people from this site, let's take a more measured approach to this... JP is I'm sure a reputable trader, and by all accounts a great hat maker, and I'm sure would relish the opportunity to restore his friend, Steve Delk and Adventurebilt's, good name by making some gesture to let down, out of pocket past customers if not by refunding their money, then by making their hats for them....apart from the apparent dodgy dealings, mismanagement, and unfair /underhanded business practices connected to the AB company in the past, one of the main issues hs always been lack of communication, so I would say, let's put these and any other questions people might have, to John Penman before making any move to ban people from this site, and let John tell us what he proposes to do......
Metkiss..

bendingoak
07-13-2015, 07:06 AM
Where to begin.
- should I start with that those few outstanding orders were made before fortune and glory was started.
- should I start with that Steve isn't a member here and never advertised or been a part of this forum.
- should I start with that Steve has replied to people on COW and thats where those customers came from.
- should I start with how a respectful e-mail should have been sent to me asking what might be going on with Steve and Adventurebilt.

I'll start with this as there are a few people here that are in the dark.

Steve has suffered with prostate and colon cancer. He has lost vision in one eye, he is diabetic and had a stroke.This all came about from working 18 hour days 7 days a week post the Indy 4 success. Im beginning to hate that damn film. He has had no insurance so he is flat broke. I have tried to help him stay on his feet during this trying time in his life. He has fulfilled most of the outstanding orders. He works when he feels up to it but sometimes he doesn't have the strength to get out of bed.

He plans to re-tire after he finishes the last hat he owes to customers. I have begged him to just close his doors and file for chapter 11 but he wants to fulfill these orders.
Steve wants me to take over AB for him but I can't run two full custom made hat companies. He asked me to take care of his re-blocks because he doesn't have in him to do it anymore. I said sure but the cost of having the supplies for the AB name was too costly just for re-blocks. Thats When I came up with the idea of the AB legacy. It is a collection of very specific indiana Jones hats as to limit how much stock I will need to invest in and I can take care of Steve customers for re-blocks. This way it will warrant the extra expense of AB materials and also not take from any new sales from Steve. As I'm not offering anything Steve or Marc is offering. a percentage goes to Steve of every sale to help him keep his lights on, to keep groceries on his table, etc, etc.

Just to be clear. Steve Delk is Adventurebilt , Marc Kitter is Adventurebilt Delux and John Penman is Penman hats with Adventurebilt Legacy collection which right now is two hats andy no options. Steve still has all his blocks and tools. I have a set of his two indy 4 hats which I am not offering until he retires. I have his raiders block as well but thats it. The idea is when he retires I will keep the AB name alive by providing re-block/re-furbish services to any AB customers, His Indy 4 hats, and a couple Indy specific hats with no options though the AB Legacy collection. Right now I'm am working to switch over his site to under my control to update his site. To help Steve out and to update Steve's customers.

if you want to take me off of this forum for trying to help out a fellow human being and someone this indy community owes a lot to. when life has ran all over him so do it. I find it damn funny that everyone here loves a character who always does the right thing over fortune and glory but doesn't gives a rats ass about a human being who hit rock bottom.

Just make sure you take every single thing that has to do with me or Penman hats off of here.

TheExit148
07-13-2015, 03:53 PM
Yeah I'm not really sure we should be crapping on Penman hats for all this, as it's not his fault.
He's "taken over" AB to an extent, but didn't have any of the previous purchase agreements with Steve's customers. Unfortunately for Steve, had a horrible hand dealt to him and he couldn't keep up with orders. Health comes first, and this situation could happen with any vendor or business for that matter.

I hate to say it but people are going to have to suck it up and come to terms that they probably aren't going to be getting a AB Crystal Skull hat they ordered many years ago.

The only recommendation I would say for John is to maybe offer these customers (valid customers) the hat at cost maybe or something. Just to ease the burden of shelling out more $$$ to acquire a hat.

I don't think we should be removing Penman as a vendor.

crismans
07-13-2015, 05:39 PM
I agree with the Exit. Like I said, it is just a bad situation that arose with no one really/fully at blame. From all reports, Steve is a great guy and you hate to hear about someone having an ordeal like that. At first, I was upset about the hat, but there are things far more important than a hat. Good quality of life is very much ahead of it, and I wish Steve well.

RCSignals
07-14-2015, 10:05 PM
Anyone who has an issue with their order from Adventure built does not have the issue with John Penman, they have it with Steve Delk and certainly with COW. COW is where they should be addressing this, and COW has an obligation in helping them I think

I don't know what member of members here brought this up, but it has no place here. If an individual has questions on the matter of Adventurebuilt bring them to John Penman and he will no doubt explain the relationship.

Weston
07-15-2015, 12:34 AM
I've never heard of John failing to fulfill and order, and I've never heard anyone say his craftsmanship was anything less than superb. He has passion and pride in his business, and knows more than most of us what's been up with Adventurebilt. I don't think a solid case has been made for removing him as a vendor.

deadseascrolls
07-15-2015, 02:45 AM
I cant seem to find the thread at either site, but I recall John pointing out he acquired the rights only for the AB name. He made it clear he didnt acquire the backlog of orders - nor should he. I personally would never expect the new owner of a company to fulfill a previous owners orders or pay off any debts.

As such, his friendship and connection with Steve have given us the best updates we ever have of Steve and the current situation of things. Hes been very willing to inform us of his own free will of things as well as now working extra to keep the AB site going just so people have a way of gaining more current info.

To lose John is to lose the clone of Steve himself in craftsmanship. As such, if you demote him as a vendor, you lose the only link we have with Steve as far as ive ever seen thus far.

Keep John here. He should not have to suffer the pain for the unfortunate situation Steve got involved in. Steve was just too generous and kind-hearted in his prices and it very well might be that generosity that "kills the cat" so to speak. I really hope not though!

bendingoak
07-16-2015, 07:44 PM
Due to the treatment I have been receiving here, I would prefer to no longer be associated with this site any longer. Please remove all mention of me and my company from this site www.fortuneandglory.org as soon as possible.

Thank you in advance
John Penman

fifthchamber
07-16-2015, 11:03 PM
John just posted this over on COW.....I can see it's beside the point in all regards now, but here it is anyway...

Since there has been some confusion to who owns AB. I will run this down one more time. specially since the site went down for a few days there have been some concerns.

Steve Delk still owns AB, Just as Marc Kitter is his own entity Adventurebilt Delux. I do NOT own Steve's company. He asked me to take it over when he retires but I told him I can NOT due to it being to overwhelming to stock and run two completely different handmade/custom made hat companies. He wanted his customers to have access to re-bocks/re-furishing for AB. He wanted the Indy 4 hats to still be able to be offered after he has hung up his hat at hat making. Steve is a fan of Indy and he wants his fellow indy fan to have what he didn't when he wanted that Raiders hat back in the day.

I still wanted to help out Steve in his desires for AB so I said I will offer re-blocks/re-furshing but needed to stock sweatband, liners, etc. etc. Just like Marc I decided that with permission from Steve I would have the rights to make Adventurebilt Legacy but unlike Marc I don't or can't do a whole entire line of hats. It would be too overwhelming. Thats why I limited that permission to just a few very limited and no option line of hats. This way I can help my friend and still not be overwhelmed with two hat companies. Also by doing it this way I don't compete with Steve or Marc as I don't want to take money out of their pockets.

right now the Legacy collection is limited to two hats that steve doesn't offer and with no options. This way I can limit how much stock I need to buy and stock.I am in NO way obligated to pay him any money but do so out of friendship as I feel I owe him for all his help and support of me becoming a hat maker.

I can NOT use his Indy 4 blocks. I can NOT use them until after he retires. His plan is to continue as AB until he finishes off his back orders. even with Steve being in recovery he still isn't the same man he used to be. He still has his bad days and the illness has bankrupted him. He has no phone, no internet and Im doing everything I cash do to help him. In return hopefully helps customers who are waiting for their hats. I took over the website as the time on it was running out and someone had to pay for the fees. That is the reason I had to take it over as to keep it up and running. Since I have control over it I will be updated it and hopefully we will have something posted about backorders when I get word from Steve. Speaking of words with Steve. I do NOT hat a bat phone to Steve or a secret way of getting in contact with him. once in a while he meets up with his daughter and checks in on e-mails. Sometimes he gets mine and sometime he does NOT.

At some point when Steve does retire we will rethink how AB will stay around. It could very well just be the Legacy collection with a few specific indy hats and Marc ABD. That mean the AB original will be no more and Marc and Myself will continue in our way but AB the original. We might revamp and do entire different thing for AB. It all depends on how long Steve needs to work to get things fulfilled. Where I am at in my life of hat making. Things change all the time. for right now the plan is AB will shut down and the indy 4 hats will live though the AB legacy collection as well as the brand with Marc and myself. Adventurebilt hats will always be Steve Delk because lets face it Steve Delk is Adventurebilt and no one will replace him.

I will answer questions for a limited time so please get them out now. This has taken up more time then I have.

John

neutronbomb
08-24-2015, 07:12 PM
The most recent updates and discussion concerning Steve Delk's status in completing backorders are located in this thread. A few notes:

1. Several emails have been sent to the site concerning backorders from Steve Delk. This is the thread to find out the most recent information we have on the subject and to update it if you have current information.

2. Pertinent posts were copied from the John Penman thread into this thread in order to provide the most recent status updates for Steve Delk and some context.

3. Just because we have free and open discussion does not mean that anything can be posted. Admining of posts can and do occur. It occurs rarely, but nevertheless, there is subject matter that is not tolerated. As a reminder:

Please remember, Fortune and Glory does not tolerate discussion or the use of language and/or terms that are of a discriminatory and derogatory nature in regards to a person or groups age, gender, sex, ethnicity, creed, race, sexual orientation, religion, political affiliation, culture, etc. and/or for extreme use of language and offensive, graphic references towards others. Additionally, threats of physical violenice, stating as FACT with no proof the slandering of the site and members and other vendors will NOT be tolerated.

Moving forward, posts that are in violation of our posting guidelines will be edited or deleted. They do NOT stay up for everyone's viewing pleasure. Sometimes I post a reminder of what the guideline is. If it continues unabated, then posting privileges are suspended for a day or two. If it still continues, membership may be terminated.

4. Per his request, John Penman is no longer a member at F&G. However, as has been the case from F&G's inception, despite numerous attempts over the years to control and dictate the content on our site with the latest coming from Penman himself, discussion is as always open on all things indy gear and vendor related.

5. http://www.fortuneandglory.org/threads/235-Welcome-Steve-Delk!

- should I start with that Steve isn't a member here and never advertised or been a part of this forum...

KidHuevos
03-14-2017, 12:44 AM
Heard about this, went to investigate to confirm & took a screenshot:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/Glurrk/DelkFate_zpscqbd5rlv.jpg