PDA

View Full Version : Leather Announcement

PLATON
05-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Hi, I know that this should go in another section, but if I post here for everybody to see and then after a week or so the Admin can move it without any problems I hope. Thanks for admin's understanding.

The announcement is that Bill Kelso has access to leathers such as CRISPE, SHRUNKEN LAMB and DINO but chose to go with the STRIATED LAMB because the latter is more SA.

If the fans want the above mentioned options, Kelso can make them available.

Thanks,

crismans
08-01-2012, 01:22 AM
Have there been any pictures of the grainy lamb?

K-Wad
08-01-2012, 02:38 AM
Chrismans,

I emailed BK about the grainy lamb, but, unfortunately they did not have any pics.
They said it was just a chrome tanned lamb and did not sound very enthusiastic about it.

For some reason, Wested's authentic lamb keeps coming to mind, but, I'd still love to see a picture of it too.

neutronbomb
08-01-2012, 05:19 AM
Is the striated also shrunken with the enzymes.

PLATON
08-02-2012, 10:56 AM
maybe I can help

here's an image showing the striated lamb (top) and the grainy lamb (bottom)

http://s9.postimage.org/75f98mad7/scan0033.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/75f98mad7/)

click on image to enlarge

the striated lamb is 100% natural
no enzymes there

neutronbomb
08-02-2012, 11:50 PM
I don't see the striations on the top one. What am I missing? Also, honestly the grain looks a lot the same on those two in much of the areas.

K-Wad
08-03-2012, 02:26 AM
OK, now I'm confused.

I asked BK if they had any photos of the grainy lamb and was it anything like the SL (minus the striations). They said they did not have any photos of the GL, it was chrome tanned and it was nothing like the SL in feeling or appearance.

When I checked the options on the check out page, it is listed as "Grainy VEG Tanned Lamb" and from the photo above they appear to have a similar texture.

So is the grainy lamb Veg tanned or Chrome tanned?

PLATON
08-03-2012, 07:55 AM
Hi
I discussed this with Andy of BK.
He says it's veg tanned. He meant to say it's not aniline dyed like the SL. It's semi-aniline.

The above is not like a photo. It's two pieces of skin which I put in my scanner.
When you look at the two pieces they look almost exactly the same. But when you look at the jackets made from each skin, they are completely different!!! Very strange!!!
That's what Andy meant when he said it's nothing like SL in appearance.

Yes, the top piece does not have striations. You can expect the whole skin to have striations. The striations are in the middle of the skin. This is a piece cut from the edge of the skin.

The grainy lamb is a top quality hide and makes a great jacket. I have seen the grainy lamb and it's much better than leathers from other makers, but the jacket made from it is not as SA as the SL jacket.

neutronbomb
08-03-2012, 02:28 PM
Well hells bells Planton. Why did we have the photo/scanner dealio in the first place. I thought you were trying to help :)

So what BK is sure of with the leathers is this:

1. Grainy lamb - Not shrunken, Not striated. Just...grainy
2. Shrunken lamb - Shrunken, Not striated
3. Striated lamb - Not Shrunken, Just striated.

Is this correct?

You also mentioned Crispe and Dino. How are these different than the shrunken. I'm assuming its the level or amount of the Shrunken Lamb process since that's what those three all are and it's the appearance that your giving the naming to.

Additionally, your killing me with the "SL". Shit dude. For freakin years it's meant shrunken lamb in our hobby. Now your using it to mean striated lamb sometimes. Do you realize that from now on I won't know which one you mean when you use "SL".

I personally think it would be better to go with "RM" for Ribby Merino for the striation lamb choice. Do what you want. It's your rodeo. But hopefully people can pick the right choice of what they really want when ordering.

I was looking at gunslingers NZ lamb jacket. It looks very, very similar to the photos of BK's striated lamb. However according to gunslinger his is shrunken whereas according to BK their striated is not. Weird.

PLATON
08-03-2012, 06:15 PM
hi, sorry for the confusion.
your 1,2,3 is correct. BK offers 1 and 3 only.
they have access to the others but I don't know any details.
Every time i used SL I meant striated lamb.
gunslinger's jacket looks a lot like BK from the photos but I can't know for sure unless I handle it.
the BK striated lamb is 100% natural stuff. As natural as it gets, veg tanned (natural) and aniline dyed (the natural way)

K-Wad
08-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Hi
I discussed this with Andy of BK.
He says it's veg tanned. He meant to say it's not aniline dyed like the SL. It's semi-aniline.

The above is not like a photo. It's two pieces of skin which I put in my scanner.
When you look at the two pieces they look almost exactly the same. But when you look at the jackets made from each skin, they are completely different!!! Very strange!!!
That's what Andy meant when he said it's nothing like SL in appearance.

Yes, the top piece does not have striations. You can expect the whole skin to have striations. The striations are in the middle of the skin. This is a piece cut from the edge of the skin.

The grainy lamb is a top quality hide and makes a great jacket. I have seen the grainy lamb and it's much better than leathers from other makers, but the jacket made from it is not as SA as the SL jacket.

OK, that makes more sense.
Thanks for clearing that up Platon.

PLATON
08-03-2012, 07:52 PM
I heard also that in the fall the dark brown striated lamb will be also available
they 're not sure, I guess it will depend on demand