PDA

View Full Version : Role-Playing Adventurers?

DocWeeks
05-22-2012, 07:36 PM
Anyone else here have a local gaming group that meets to indulge in their own fantasy story-telling? My wife and I do, and I thought I'd post this here to see what other members of the community had to say or thought.

I only recently discovered table-top RPG's, and have enjoyed the chance to be with friends and create our own stories instead of mindlessly watching repeats of pointless television. I know most people immediately think about Dungeons and Dragons when this topic gets mentioned, but my wife and I are playing a pulp game from the Savage Worlds system and greatly enjoying it. So does anyone else partake with a group? What have been your thoughts or experiences? What kind of characters have you created?

Lets see some discussion, and if you've never played but have questions I'll try to answer whatever I can.

I'm also very excited for Amazing Adventures to come out from TrollLordGames: http://trolllord.com/anvil/index.html
I think it's exactly what I need out of a pulp gaming system.

djd
05-22-2012, 10:12 PM
Gosh ! I used to play a lot of rpg's when I was younger. These days I tend to buy them every now and then in the vague hope my step son might want to play them at some point in the future. Savage Worlds is probably as good a system as any for Indy type adventures. Airship Pirates is a fun system for steampunk stuff - which is a genre that also interests me

KidHuevos
05-22-2012, 11:01 PM
I still game frequently, but usually just AD&D. Never really delved into pulp too much, as the few times I did the experience was unsatisfying. (This was because we were all maybe 13 or so at the time. I did actually play the Indiana Jones RPG on occasion.)

crismans
05-22-2012, 11:41 PM
I used to play some RPGs (some AD&D but mainly Star Wars). Love to get into it again, but there's not that much going on around me that I know of.

DocWeeks
05-22-2012, 11:52 PM
That's the problem we had when we moved was finding a new decent group to game with.
I'm looking for a decent Star Wars type system without a whole lot of fiddle faddle extras that bog down game play.

I think 13 players is way to many for any game system. I think if you scaled it down, you would find it a lot more enjoyable. Did you play the Indiana Jones TSR system or the one offered by West End Games? I own both, but my problem with playing something specifically Indiana Jones is that it seems like no matter who you create, you're going to be secondary to the hero.

Since you play D&D, what are your thoughts on 4e and the upcoming 5th edition?

KidHuevos
05-23-2012, 12:11 AM
That's the problem we had when we moved was finding a new decent group to game with.
I'm looking for a decent Star Wars type system without a whole lot of fiddle faddle extras that bog down game play.

I think 13 players is way to many for any game system. I think if you scaled it down, you would find it a lot more enjoyable. Did you play the Indiana Jones TSR system or the one offered by West End Games? I own both, but my problem with playing something specifically Indiana Jones is that it seems like no matter who you create, you're going to be secondary to the hero.

Since you play D&D, what are your thoughts on 4e and the upcoming 5th edition?

If you're referring to me, I only play version 1.0!!! (I'm VERY old-school- I allow some 2.0 rules if I'm DMing, otherwise NONE of that new-fangled upgrades for me!)

*puts on checkered pants, sits back in rocking chair with pipe*

I'm not sure which game I played- it might have been the TSR version- whichever one based its modules off the Marvel comics- which made messing with the module easy! If we knew Marion's perfume was going to anger a hippopotamus in the jungle, we would take Wu Han with us instead! (Drove the gamemaster nuts!)
:D

DocWeeks
05-23-2012, 12:23 AM
Right on, I'm not a big fan of what I call "fiddle faddle", that's why I hate Pathfinder. Too constrained and doesn't allow for true role playing.
A friend of mine ran a first edition game and we had a blast then he made me read an introduction to role playing (i think was the title) and from then on I gave up on all that extra nonsense.

Weston
05-23-2012, 12:55 AM
I've got the West End Games Indiana Jones RPG. I bought it years ago, and have never played it. It comes with two decks of cards, and two books; The World of Indiana Jones, and the system book. My little girl is getting old enough, we might grab a couple more people and give it a go sometime. I like that it has a generic system book that we can apply to any genre we want as well.

Weston

KidHuevos
05-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Just on the topic of assorted RPGs, I was never a fan of the Star Wars game, for two reasons:

One, it seemed that the guidelines were fairly determined to force people to play a very sanitized, watered-down game utilizing the "Greedo shot first" philosophy- no hard edges here, and no matter how rough you wanted to be, you pretty much were supposed to have a soft heart of gold, pulling your precocious Ewok sidekick out of danger at every turn. The dark, hard edge you saw in Empire Strikes Back? No such atmosphere there! It was simply not allowed.

The second reason is a bit more important: the game is supposed to take place after "A New Hope" but before "Empire"- giving the players a chance to fight the Empire. To what purpose. I ask? No matter what your characters do, they will NEVER get a chance to strike at the heart of the Empire, because "historically" Luke and Co. took care of that. If that's the case, then why bother?

DocWeeks
05-27-2012, 10:52 PM
That's why I'm generally a fan of my own universes, star wars or indiana jones style. What's the point in doing anything if you know that ultimately the real heroes and the ones who get the glory are just han and luke.

KidHuevos
01-25-2015, 12:53 AM
Just posting this for the heck of it; I was talking about using pen & paper on another board and the subject of role-playing came up. I still use pencil and paper to write down the campaigns I create,and also use colored pens to simulate battlefields for the players to wreak havoc on. Recently I'm using Adobe Photoshop for more realism... as far as a fantasy game goes, anyway. ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/Glurrk/Part%20III/DandDFields_zps86a75824.jpg

These are sample of my older and newer work- a bridge over a lava pit and a small chapel are hand-drawn, and a garden path and a mud-pit are the digital creations I'm using lately.

neutronbomb
01-25-2015, 11:30 PM
And just when I was going to kill all these threads no one uses.

KidHuevos
01-26-2015, 12:42 AM
And just when I was going to kill all these threads no one uses.

You can kill any threads I'm not posting in; I won't mind.

;););););););););)

(Although seriously, I do try to hunt around to see if there are other threads I can breathe some life into.)

neutronbomb
01-27-2015, 01:17 AM
I meant sections rather than threads. Like all the books, rogues, museum, etc. Maybe I'll combine some of them somehow.