PDA

View Full Version : Leather Sole Indy Boots

DocWeeks
05-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Has anyone had problems with their Alden Indy's or Leather Sole Alden Indy's? I recieved my pair early January this year and yesterday I noticed that some of the stitching from the boot to the sole had popped loose and the boot began to seperate from the sole. I feel like 4 months is way too early for a problem like this to show up. My first pair of regular Aldens last 7 years before they began to fall apart. I don't wear my LS Indy's everyday, maybe three times a week, I always at least give them a days rest before wearing again regardless. I don't wear these boots hiking considering how expensive they were and how hard it was to get them, I wear them to class and work only.
What does anyone suggest? I'm about to fire an email to Leather Soul Hawaii, since maybe it's just a defective pair of boots and they can take care of that.

Has the quality of Aldens gone down drastically? Because after the new models were announced, I immediately ordered a pair of the 403, and was so happy with them I wore them every day, went hiking in them, wore them in the rain and mud, on my honeymoon to disneyworld, they went literally everywhere and whatever I went through. They began experiencing heel and stitching problems in the sole after a year and a half. I was disappointed but just assumed I was too rough on them (still feel that may be the case), but the problem with these Leather Soles I think is a little inexcusable. They haven't seen any hard wear, they regularly get rested, I keep them clean, but the stitching has torn after only four months.

djd
05-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Sounds like you have a bad pair to me. They shouldn't fall apart at the price they are. My 405s are still going strong after about 6 years and show no sign of letting me down. Definitely worth an email or call to alden I think

DocWeeks
05-06-2012, 01:57 PM
I just sent an email to Leather Sole detailing much of the same information here. Depending on whether their response is positive or negative to my experience I'll be forwarding all of my information to Alden and go from there.

neutronbomb
05-06-2012, 03:52 PM
I think it may be random somehow. There's got to be a reason, though I'm not sure exactly what it is. It must be the thread quality or something. Maybe the stitcher. I'm not sure there's a rhyme or reason as even the ones I got from Marc aren't immune. This exact thing also happened to me after 3 months. Same thing. I just did what I figured Indy would do and dropped them off at the local shoe repair shop. I know for some their perspective is that for the price this type of thing just isn't acceptable. For me, I look at this situation whether it's shoes or the bag or whatnot as an opportunity for the item to develop it's own character unique to me. The item starts off new and then I go from there. I really believe in the quality of these boots though. They just seem to get better and better as they age and break in. I just have to change the oil and rotate the tires from time to time. Whether it's three months or 3 years. I've also had the heels changed out as I wore them down after like a year and half. To me this is different than getting a lemon or something that's just made with terrible quality and making excuses or living with it. It's a line for me that I don't I think I can explain the way I'm thinking about it, but the shoe repair guy said they were one of the best made pairs of boots he'd ever seen, despite having to repair the stitching. He said after 50 years in the business he doesn't have an answer. It just happens sometimes.

For sure there's going to be different perspectives on how to view this issue and maybe having a stitching issue in that amount of time is unacceptable for others. I personally don't view it much differently than the shoelaces constantly breaking or the color coming off the speed lacing hardware. I've read that some of wested's jackets have the stitching come undone too soon. Others go years with never an issue. Some get livid about this. Others just get a new stitch put in for a few bucks. Some say 50% of the quality of the jacket is the stitching. Others say thread sometimes breaks or comes undone and that's just the deal.

For me, I was wearing my boots regularly. Putting pressure on them through walking. They got damp a few times. Some rain drops. banging them on a grocery cart. Whatever. Some regular wear. One stitching job might last forever with that amount of "abuse". Another, a few months. It's a matter of perspective on what is acceptable I guess for when an aspect of gear gets a flat tire, but sometimes........ you just get a flat tire. However, I would be PISSED if I bought a new lexus, drove it off the lot, turned the corner and a tire goes flat with no nail or anything obvious. PISSED.

You've sent an email to Leather Soles so their response I'm sure will set the tone for how you view this issue. It'll be interesting to hear what the owners take on this is. I really don't think you got a total lemon of a pair of boots and your not alone with having this issue. I also don't think it would be unreasonable to want to exchange them from what you've described. Wishing you the best of luck with getting this resolved to your satisfaction.

DocWeeks
05-07-2012, 03:27 AM
I'm worried about local shoe repair shops on really expensive shoes. The last pair of Aldens I had the stitching redone on and he sewed through some of the upper part of the boot and near the toe, fucking up the fit making it feel like a half size smaller. And when he replaced the heels and when I walked I could feel the heads of the 'nails' poking my heel. He refused to repair his 'work' and to refund the money so I sent them to Alden for their restoration service and they said there was nothing they could do to fix what he had done. I wish I'd taken pictures of his hack job before giving them away.

I've moved to a new town, but my terrible experience with the other guy gives me pause to ever trust local people again.

neutronbomb
05-07-2012, 05:13 AM
Yeah. I'd feel the same way. Sounds like Alden should fix them. Hopefully the owner of leather soles will help set something up.

djd
05-07-2012, 06:22 AM
If I buy a pair of high quality brogues , such as Loakes, there is no way that either I or Loake would expect the stitching to fail. These are expensive shoes - VERY expensive shoes! Alden should fix them

HWaltonJonesJr.Phd
05-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Long ago I had to send back three pair of 405's because they kept separating at the welt. I bought them through 'Schmidty' on COW and the third time Alden just trimmed the sole back to the stitching, claiming there was just too much sole. I could see right through the sole, and their bullshit. I got dinged yet again on the shipping and said good riddance. A few months later I spotted an Alden sign in a store downtown and bought a pair. They are tough as nails and no problems 3 years later. :afro:

djd
05-07-2012, 01:02 PM
That's disappointing from such a high-end company.

DocWeeks
05-09-2012, 01:18 AM
I recieved an email back from Bryan at Leather Sole yesterday, he was very apologetic about the problem and is working to make sure my boots are fixed properly.

djd
05-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Good news. That's what I'd expect

DocWeeks
06-26-2012, 04:14 PM
Got a package from the Alden Restoration Service yesterday. The boots look as great as the day I bought 'em. In fact, the soles look better than they did originally I think. Great looking boot, now even better. When my wife gets back into town I'll take photos.

neutronbomb
06-26-2012, 07:05 PM
Yes please. Photos. Also, a description of all they did to repair them. Did they replace the stitching.

Sounds like a happy ending.