PDA

View Full Version : Which Hat Looks More Screen-Accurate?

deadseascrolls
03-25-2012, 03:29 AM
I want to get your opinion on a couple of hats I have, especially one of them in particular. Following are two pictures of the hats - the reddish colored hat is an Adventurebilt in the so-called "Ford Felt"; the other is a regular CS AB. I'd like to sell one of them as I've got my sights set on another hat that I'd like, but I'd like to know which one you think is the most SA for the CS color. I LOVE the Ford felt hat as the felt is not only that rich reddish-brown color but also is thicker and more dense than the regular AB's. I've been told that one of the key characteristics of the Ford felt (which I've also been told is NOT the same felt used in the production [and I have to agree with that after my experiences with this hat]) is that you can shape the brim any way you want it and it holds its shape and boy is that true! You can make the brim wavy and it'll hold that shape, etc etc. However, I'm more for SA and would like to keep one of these (for now anyways) but want to keep the one that's the best for the CS look in terms of color.

I look forward to your input and help and forgive me if this sounds like a weird inquiry - I'm kind of groggy. Thanks!

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab77/IndyRiv/HPIM1668.jpg
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab77/IndyRiv/HPIM1666.jpg

jnicktem
03-25-2012, 03:52 AM
Well the AB CS is 100% screen accurate. However, I used to own a "Ford Felt" AB and know how awesome that felt it. I regret letting it go. It's not often you see/feel that kind of felt anymore. I would hang on to that one if I were you.

deadseascrolls
03-25-2012, 04:08 AM
Well the AB CS is 100% screen accurate. However, I used to own a "Ford Felt" AB and know how awesome that felt it. I regret letting it go. It's not often you see/feel that kind of felt anymore. I would hang on to that one if I were you.

Thanks jnicktem for your input.

I do like the Ford felt fedora but as it currently stands, it doesn't fit me. It needs a thorough cleaning and reblock and I'd like to have it done by John or Steve but Steve can't be contacted and John isn't taking reblocks anytime soon. I may send it off to another hatter but I worry that actually might hurt the sale of the hat as most like either Steve or John to have done the reblock on hats such as this.

They say the felt on this hat (the Ford felt) is more reminiscent of the 1930s/40s "Mercury" felts.

The other crux is that I'm not sure if I'll ever be receiving the 2 hats I ordered from Steve so with the CS AB I have now, I know it's the real deal for same felt and bash.

If I could definitively get someone to tell me that the Ford felt isn't the same felt used in the film, my choice would be set as I'm actually leaning towards getting rid of the Ford felt but don't want to make the mistake of selling it only to find they did use that felt after all. It doesn't react the way the movie felt does, so that's what's making me believe it wasn't and as I said - I'm more for true accuracy over a felt that feels and looks nice.

Does that make ANY sense? ??? :crazy: :D

jnicktem
03-25-2012, 04:39 AM
I too have 2 hats on order with Steve. It is my understanding that he has had severe health problems but it still plugging away on hats. I think I heard he tries to get a hat done a day.

Steve told me that the "Ford Felt" run that was done in 2006 is not from the same run as the movie hats. Basically someone told him that he could get a hat to Harrison Ford and Steve had a special run of felt made to make that hat, and then offered the rest of the run as "Ford Felt." Turns out Ford never got that hat. And later on when Steve did make the movie hats, a few hats were made from the same run.

deadseascrolls
03-25-2012, 07:32 PM
JNicktem,

Thanks for the update on Steve. My worry was not with his health (although it IS still very much a worry) but more with the fact that he at one time said for everyone to contact him who ordered a hat(s) as his records were not as good as they used to be. Therefore, I am hoping my order was not lost in the shuffle - we've all seen how a paper lost in the shuffle can be lost for a very long time (if not forever). I'm not worried about the time frame of getting the hats just as long as I know my order is still in place is all. Steve can take as much time as he needs.

Do you know off-hand how many hats were made for the film using this same type of felt? You had mentioned that the felt was not from the same run used in the film - yet you also mention at the end that a few hats were made using the same run so just wanted to find out a little more on that. I'm sure while Steve, if he did make a few hats, used this felt, it wasn't actually used on screen as I just haven't been able to pinpoint any felt on screen that reacts as malleably to touch as this felt does.

Your comments have helped me greatly JNicktem and, while I love the felt and color of this hat, I've decided to part with it. But still, anyone that wants to chime in on what you think of the two hats - I'd love to hear what you think! :)

RCSignals
03-25-2012, 09:49 PM
Basically someone told him that he could get a hat to Harrison Ford and Steve had a special run of felt made to make that hat, and then offered the rest of the run as "Ford Felt." Turns out Ford never got that hat.

Sad for Steve to have gone through that trouble for 'someone' But we have come to see that sort of bluster from certain quarters

jnicktem
03-25-2012, 11:25 PM
Oops- sorry I must've misspoken. What I meant was that Steve and Marc both sold hats using the same run of felt used for the movie. That felt was not this "Ford Felt."

deadseascrolls
03-26-2012, 12:23 AM
Basically someone told him that he could get a hat to Harrison Ford and Steve had a special run of felt made to make that hat, and then offered the rest of the run as "Ford Felt." Turns out Ford never got that hat.

Sad for Steve to have gone through that trouble for 'someone' But we have come to see that sort of bluster from certain quarters

Indeed, how many of the wonderful vendors of CS have been railroaded by immoral, greedy people. :mad: I've read about Tony and still get sick every time it comes up. I didn't have much interaction with Tony but I can still remember the ONE email I sent him when I found it it was he who made the CS jackets. He wrote back and I "HOPE" I've still got it somewhere as he was super nice and there's some emails that ooze through who a person truly is as if you met them in person and his emails were just that.

The same goes with Steve Delk. I'm sure Harrison Ford would've loved the hat with this particular felt and it's a shame that some greedy unscrupulous individual absconded with it. What's worse is that Steve got hit with an undoubtedly high expense for ordering that run of felt that's not quite what he's used to dealing with for a felt body type. And what's worse with relation to Steve's experiences is that I don't think incidents of that sort were just one-time things.

It's really a shame that people can ruin and destroy the beautiful morality and generosity that still exist in this world by taking advantage of such caring, and selfless individuals such as Tony and Steve. They worked hard to get where they got and yet never think of themselves but always are willing to open themselves up to people.

So to Steve and the family of Tony - keep up the great work and know that there ARE people out there who truly appreciate what you do and how you or Tony exemplify the good in this world yet.

deadseascrolls
03-26-2012, 12:28 AM
Oops- sorry I must've misspoken. What I meant was that Steve and Marc both sold hats using the same run of felt used for the movie. That felt was not this "Ford Felt."

Hey, no problem jnicktem! :toast: I just wanted to see if I wasn't understanding things correctly. What you said above correlates with what I've always heard and known in that both Steve and Marc sold hats using that run of felt (which people also sometimes refer to as Ford felt so it can get a little confusing as what is the true "Ford Felt" and which isn't but is the true "film" felt). So this heavier density reddish-brown (a key characteristic of telling apart the REAL "Ford Felt") felt is the true infamous "Ford Felt".

Thanks again for your clarification! :)

jnicktem
03-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Here is a pic of the "Ford Felt" hat that I used to have:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/jnicktem/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_4616-1.jpg

djd
05-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Beautiful colour to that felt

bendingoak
05-01-2012, 02:27 PM
What size is the ford felt?

deadseascrolls
05-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Here is a pic of the "Ford Felt" hat that I used to have:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/jnicktem/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_4616-1.jpg

Seeing that picture makes me SICK now that I sold my Ford Felt fedora. Although the felt wasn't SA to CS, it still was a very nice color and felt. I knew it though that I'd feel sick if I sold it, but the need to downsize and obtain funds for other projects trumped my gut feeling. :'(

At least it went to a good home.