PDA

View Full Version : KOTCS Production Jackets

faststreetsofhongkong
08-19-2010, 08:24 PM
Well, first off, I am happy to see a new Indy forum.

I have always wondered when would be the right time to post about this ...

Just for future generations sake, as well as for Indy fans, I am going to put up some pics of two of my Production Jackets from KOTCS. THESE ARE NOT REPLICAS THAT HE MADE FOR US FANS (YES, I HAVE ONE OF THOSE AS WELL -- AND THERE ARE DIFFERENCES). Tony agreed to let me get two of three that he had. Here is what happened, as Tony told it to me, was that he got three jackets back during Production. For each jacket, he would make a new one and send that one back in its place. This happened on other projects, and sometimes he would wind up with either cast or stunt worn items back. In this case, two of the jackets are Harrison size (those are the two that I have), and one oversized one (which someone else got).

I have the original email from Tony showing me these three jackets, I will not post that email here (or anywhere else), but if this turns into anything, I am happy to have the admin of this forum to review the original email (as long as it is never posted anywhere).

The three photos are:

1) Taken by Tony in his work shop and sent to me of all three jackets:

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu359/sparksr_2009/IMG_2477-1.jpg

2) One of the jackets in a plexi-glass case in my home:

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu359/sparksr_2009/IMG_0592.jpg

3) A Genre Productions jacket bag:

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu359/sparksr_2009/DSC04950.jpg

I won't post full pics of the jacket bag, that would make it too easy for someone just to copy it.

I am sure that possibly someone might flame me for this, but I don't care, what was I suppose to do, never let the Indy community at large know where actual Production used Indy jackets are? I got them from a real friend, Tony, his work deserves to be seen by all.

crismans
08-19-2010, 08:38 PM
Terrific! Thanks for sharing! That would be something to keep for the ages. Both for the fact that they are screen used and for Tony.

Raider S
08-19-2010, 08:44 PM
Great stuff! Thanks for letting us see these!

Did anything about the sizing suprise you?

faststreetsofhongkong
08-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Yes, the sleeves are a touch longer.

Junior
08-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Is the leather similar to the commercial TN jackets? Do they have a shine to them? I ask because in the film you notice they are kinda glossy like something was added to them. ;)

neutronbomb
08-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Great to see you here! Thanks for sharing this. Very generous of you. I must say, very jealous you have TWO production jackets. Would love to hear your story of how you met Tony and of course love to see pics of other jackets you have.

Again, thank you and welcome aboard!

Nefarious
08-19-2010, 10:27 PM
awesome...totally awesome. and thank you for sharing sir. good to see over at this site sir.

i have one question....are those genre bags made of the same CS leather?

Noah
08-20-2010, 01:58 AM
That's awesome!!! Thanks for sharing with all of us! :)

Topper
08-20-2010, 05:23 AM
Woah! Would be really great to read some story about the production jackets. Very kewl stuff!
So you locked them up if Harrison comes knocking? ;)

faststreetsofhongkong
08-20-2010, 06:15 AM
awesome...totally awesome. and thank you for sharing sir. good to see over at this site sir.

i have one question....are those genre bags made of the same CS leather?

I does seem to be the same leather, but untreated.

faststreetsofhongkong
08-20-2010, 06:16 AM
Is the leather similar to the commercial TN jackets? Do they have a shine to them? I ask because in the film you notice they are kinda glossy like something was added to them. ;)

Yes, they both have a shine to them, like they were treated or something ...

Kt Templar
08-20-2010, 07:15 AM
That is amazing. Sometimes you have to be in the right place at the right time.

On another note, have you posted any pics of your early Raiders jacket? I know that some doubt has been cast on exactly how early it is but it would still be very interesting to see it.

faststreetsofhongkong
08-20-2010, 08:10 AM
That jacket is a standard Leather Concessionaires from around 89 to 90 I would guess ... besides the fact that Harrison said "Nice Jacket" when he saw it, there probably isn't that much special about it:

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu359/sparksr_2009/IMG_0177-1.jpg

Kt Templar
08-20-2010, 09:13 AM
'Touched by Ford'

LOL more than can be said for many.

Would still be interested, older Leather Concessionaires jackets show fascinating evolution.

Junior
08-20-2010, 02:02 PM

Thanks! That's what I thought. I remember someone went to Tony's shop several years back and compared the commercial jackets with a film jacket Tony had. They said you couldn't tell the difference as they were identical. ;)

hatch
08-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Great pics and info, thanks...........would love to know what the 'coating' was ....just to speculate oil/Pecards type material both to improve appearance on film and to help with continuity/protection for all the 'water scenes' in the movie ...any thoughts out there ?

faststreetsofhongkong
08-20-2010, 03:23 PM

Thanks! That's what I thought. I remember someone went to Tony's shop several years back and compared the commercial jackets with a film jacket Tony had. They said you couldn't tell the difference as they were identical. ;)

I believe that the differences were mostly added by the Production people, the shine and unique weathering. The liner is different as well.

faststreetsofhongkong
08-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Great pics and info, thanks...........would love to know what the 'coating' was ....just to speculate oil/Pecards type material both to improve appearance on film and to help with continuity/protection for all the 'water scenes' in the movie ...any thoughts out there ?

I have no idea, Tony never mentioned to me what might have been used by the Production team.

RCSignals
08-20-2010, 04:34 PM

They are identical in pattern and leather. The 'commercial' jackets have small details inside, unseen, which make the jackets more durable.
They did do further distressing to the film jackets, getting them wet, putting them on 'dummies of sorts, pushing up the sleeves, etc.
Wear your 'commercial' jacket, wear it a lot, in the rain, etc etc. See what happens to it. The jacket will get better and better. You should see John Penman's jacket!

Remember though, no two jackets will be exactly the same. Have you seen the rack of 30 jackets in teh 'extra' video? Every one a slightly different shade of brown.
this is why it is humourous when people start talking about one shade of brown being more 'SA' than another. The leather used for the movie jackets is the leather Tony offered as standard. He also had a 'darker' version of the same leather he offered for the 'commercial' jacket. In that it is just preference.
Yes the 'commercial' jacket uses a better more durable lining.

Canyon
08-20-2010, 05:41 PM
faststreetsofhongkong, firstly, welcome to the board. ;)

It's awesome that you own production jackets, and I love the pictures, but most of all, its so cool that you were such good friends with Tony, and also, come on, this is me were talking about! :P That picture of you and Harrison is awesome! ;) You are so lucky. :) I have met several people who have worked with him, and all of them have said that he is a really nice guy. Please can you share with us what your experience of meeting and/or working with him was like. :)

Thank you. ;D

neutronbomb
08-20-2010, 07:39 PM
That jacket is a standard Leather Concessionaires from around 89 to 90 I would guess ... besides the fact that Harrison said "Nice Jacket" when he saw it, there probably isn't that much special about it:

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu359/sparksr_2009/IMG_0177-1.jpg

Hey, do have any video of you wearing this jacket?

faststreetsofhongkong
08-21-2010, 05:13 AM
Rob Sparks Fan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TexeqqAGo6I&feature=player_embedded#)

Gunslinger
08-21-2010, 11:36 AM
Well, as we know, any delusional nutjob on the Internet can claim to have a connection to coolness...

...but my god you are clearly not that guy! ;) :D

So come on Robert, backstory please...?

faststreetsofhongkong
08-21-2010, 12:06 PM
Rob Sparks Fan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TexeqqAGo6I&feature=player_embedded#)

These people were super nice to me, and I slowly got to know some of them over time. There are many cool stories there, but I am thinking about a book for that later in Life (I like writing).

I also want to say how much I am enjoying the positive energy here on FORTUNE & GLORY. There is just a feeling here that we all Love Indy and that we can share in that together and all of the fun stories from real Life that spring from that. Be positive and support each other. To quote Bruce Lee: "Life is too short for negative energy."

And just for the record, if Harrison saw me today in a restaurant, the only thing he might say to me is: "Excuse me, we ordered that cappuccino like 20 minutes ago." He was nice enough to do some autographs and take that picture. But to be clear, I never spoke to him at any length ...

RCSignals
08-21-2010, 08:25 PM
So Robert. Can we get that photo now in colour or just the B+W? ;D

neutronbomb
08-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Wow :o That's pretty cool! Do you have other Indy related videos?

It's too bad you've had a negative experience elsewhere. It's sounds like your enjoying this place and liking the vibe so far. A fun, enjoyable, supportive place to hang out and share our gear and experiences.

Raskolnikov
08-22-2010, 08:03 AM
Great video and story. About the jackets: I always thought they had being treated with some dressing after Tony sent them. It looks like that in the movie.
By the way, and just out of curiosity. Do the film jackets have the reinforced horizontal stitching that nowaks show in the handwarmers, or is this one of the features Tony added later?
I mean this stitching:

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss286/Raskolnikov_photo/P1010427.jpg

Regards,
Rask

Nefarious
08-22-2010, 04:10 PM
fsohk, that video was awesome ;D.......i'm also a big star trek TNG fan and that was very cool watching you interact with the heroes that got me through my university days!

i asked about the genre bag because i'm willing to bet that she's made out of the 'dirty oil' cow leather that my last raiders jacket was made out of :)

faststreetsofhongkong
08-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Great video and story. About the jackets: I always thought they had being treated with some dressing after Tony sent them. It looks like that in the movie.
By the way, and just out of curiosity. Do the film jackets have the reinforced horizontal stitching that nowaks show in the handwarmers, or is this one of the features Tony added later?
I mean this stitching:

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss286/Raskolnikov_photo/P1010427.jpg

Regards,
Rask

Rask,

Your Tony KOTCS replica has an orange tint to it, just like mine. I did a side by side so you can see, but neither the Production jacket or my Tony Replica has that style of special stitching on the pocket. Each jacket that Tony made was unique in it's own way. We are all just lucky to have original Tony jackets!

Also, please notice the color differences between the two jackets:

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu359/sparksr_2009/Screenshot2010-08-23at121205AM.png

faststreetsofhongkong
08-22-2010, 04:39 PM
fsohk, that video was awesome ;D.......i'm also a big star trek TNG fan and that was very cool watching you interact with the heroes that got me through my university days!

i asked about the genre bag because i'm willing to bet that she's made out of the 'dirty oil' cow leather that my last raiders jacket was made out of :)

Looks like the Production jacket leather ... just untreated.

Also, I was a big TNG fan, but after spending time watching Brent smoke, Patrick being more charming than any other man on the planet could be, and just watch these people in their "zone", I realized that this was a special time and I was happy to see it, even from an outside perspective (meaning that this was a long time ago and I was working in the mailroom, my place to interact with them was at their trailers, I was only on Stages 8 & 9 three times in my Life -- but I would see people, depending on their schedule, at least 3 times a week). One thing sticks out from that time, a complete lack of snobbery from these people.

Raskolnikov
08-22-2010, 11:51 PM
Rask,

Your Tony KOTCS replica has an orange tint to it, just like mine. I did a side by side so you can see, but neither the Production jacket or my Tony Replica has that style of special stitching on the pocket. Each jacket that Tony made was unique in it's own way. We are all just lucky to have original Tony jackets!

Also, please notice the color differences between the two jackets:

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu359/sparksr_2009/Screenshot2010-08-23at121205AM.png

Great colour comparison! Thanks a lot. Could you check again the stitching? I think I'm seeing it in that picture, and in both jackets:
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss286/Raskolnikov_photo/Screenshot2010-08-23at121205AM.png
Sorry to bother you so much for something that has no real importance: just mere curiosity.

faststreetsofhongkong
08-23-2010, 02:34 AM
Your right.

Gunslinger
08-23-2010, 02:53 AM
I believe this is one of Tony's little additions to the design - just a way of making the pockets more durable. He brought it in with KOTCS, and tended to add this to the other movies' jackets as well, which Riley and the boys has continued with. Duncan knows more about this, I think?

RCSignals
08-23-2010, 04:46 AM
I asked Tony about this after I received my CS jacket. He said some for the movie had that pocket stitch some didn't, most did. I suspect they all did. The stitch adds strength to the handwarmer opening, and is a TN addition.
The jackets made after the movie though, (all of ours) do have strengthening points inside the jacket which are unseen from the outside, that the movie jackets did not.
Every movie jacket though was unique in colour and probably a few other things, even though the same leather from the same source. Remember that rack of 30 jackets, all different.

Neither of my Raiders jackets nor Temple of Doom jacket have that pocket stitch line though.

edited for spelling

Raskolnikov
08-23-2010, 07:24 AM
Your right.

Great. Thanks again.

And thanks for the information, guys.