PDA

View Full Version : WWII Veteran's Leather Jacket FS

deadseascrolls
03-15-2012, 02:25 AM
Hello.

I'm interested in selling a leather jacket I bought at a WWII veteran's sale over a year ago. It's in tough shape as you'll see in the pics and seems to be a hybrid of an A-2 and a G-1(?). It's not a US Govt. issue as I could find no tags on the jacket anywhere that attest to it being as such, only the tag as shown in the pic. However, I wrote to the auctioneer and they gave me the veteran's son's email address. I contacted him and he wrote back to me with a very brief story of his father's service (he served stateside) but couldn't tell me much about where his father got the jacket from, only that it was one of two jackets that he remembers his father owning, the other one being an authentic A-2 with all the paintings on it (what I wouldn't give to get ahold of THAT thing!). However, he said that his father left it somewhere (can't recall where off-hand now) and it got stolen. I have the email yet and will provide it with the jacket to add whatever little provenance I can to it.

I, regrettably, paid $100 for this jacket and would like to get that out of it if I could. It's hanging in my garage (away from all bugs/other factors of a garage setting) and I'd like to find it a good home. My original intention was to send it off to get it refurbished and fixed, but I just don't see it being worth that.

Here's the pics:

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab77/IndyRiv/WWIIJacket.jpg
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab77/IndyRiv/WWIIJacket3.jpg
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab77/IndyRiv/WWIIJacket2.jpg

Gunslinger
03-15-2012, 09:45 AM
Well it LOOKS awesome - what's wrong with it?

Sizing?

RCSignals
03-15-2012, 10:03 PM
I is not a military jacket but us horsehide according to the label, and not a bad design.

Replacement knits are availalble. Des the wast knit have a bi-weave? that is the top 1 r so inch weave is a different weave from the bottom ?

deadseascrolls
03-16-2012, 12:36 AM
Well it LOOKS awesome - what's wrong with it?

Sizing?

It does look really cool. The sizing may be a little big for me - I actually never tried it on. There's a variety of problems that come with age - the wool lining is ragged, the right pocket is torn towards the bottom (which may be a hard, if not impossible, task for a leather jacket company to fix), and the wool collar is a slightly ragged as well. Also, there's some slight white spots as you can see in the pics which I'm pretty sure is paint. The leather might also need a cleaning as it definitely hasn't been kept in good storage for years. It definitely needs a good dose of Pecards but I personally don't see the justification of doing so to it myself. I really don't know what it's worth, but as it's not a military issue jacket, I don't think too much.

I guess I'd rather try to get my money out of it and save up for an authentic, WWII era A-2. They cost way more, but I'd rather have one of those if I was to own a military jacket for my collection.

I is not a military jacket but us horsehide according to the label, and not a bad design.

Replacement knits are availalble. Des the wast knit have a bi-weave? that is the top 1 r so inch weave is a different weave from the bottom ?

I guess I'm not familiar with a bi-weave. Do you have any pics of what that looks like RC? I'd love to see some if possible to expand my knowledge of these types of jackets. Is that something that should be looked for in a vintage A-2 jacket? The weaving on the bottom goes vertically and all weaves are exactly the same. Hope that helps. If not, let me know and I'll check on what I may be missing when looking at the weave.

RCSignals
03-16-2012, 03:22 AM
The bi-weave would be fund on Navy jackets, and some civilian ones. A2 used a knit as yu described with all vertical ribbing

Replacement knits should be easy t find.

deadseascrolls
03-22-2012, 02:13 AM
The bi-weave would be fund on Navy jackets, and some civilian ones. A2 used a knit as yu described with all vertical ribbing

Replacement knits should be easy t find.

Hello RC,

Thanks for the reply and info on the weaves. Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you.

deadseascrolls
03-22-2012, 02:14 AM
BUMP

$100 including shipping in the USA

Anyone interested in an old vet's jacket? ;)