PDA

View Full Version : I don't really like the Last Crusade jacket...

StarFighter
12-22-2011, 07:04 AM
It's my favorite of the movies but the jacket looks too squared off, almost suit-casual instead of adventurer... and the way they had distressed it, it had like a red undertone and was very matte... I didn't like it!

I think I like Raiders.. very fitted, unique and shiny..

Raskolnikov
12-23-2011, 11:41 PM
In my opinion, the LC jacket has a very cool looking appearance. I like it, most of all, in the MOTB episode. But yes, I prefer by far the Raiders and TOD fit. On the other hand, the suit-casual look probably has something to do with the tie... And I have to admit that the tie was another thing I liked in that movie.

Dagda
01-13-2012, 01:50 AM
Yeah, the tie was cool. I like the LC jacket best of all, but also like the others,too. I especially like the Raven's Bar jacket from Raiders. The Wested Hero seems to really capture that look for me. Something about the LC jacket just always seemed sharper and cooler, but I can see how a person who really likes the Raiders look might not go for the LC. They really do differ.

neutronbomb
01-13-2012, 01:46 PM
I also love the way The Main Hero looks in the Raven Bar scene. One of my favs:
http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt235/neutronbomb_photos/ravenbar1.jpg

Dagda
01-14-2012, 01:25 PM
It is awesome, but that photo just shows you gotta be noodle-thin to pull off that look. Guess I'm gonna have to start skipping those bloomin' onions at the Outback if I'm gonna get a Wested Hero some day.

Returningson
03-03-2012, 03:17 PM
I think everyone is drawn to the Raiders because it has that "beat to shit", lived in look. I mean, it really does like Ford actually slept in it a couple of times, the wrinkled leather and the way it so casually drapes off his frame. The LC always seemed to be too artificially distressed and yes, too sqaure-ish....like Indy went out and bought a poorly fitted Dockers leather jacket or something. The Raiders (and even the more fitted TOD) is, in my mind, the definitive Indy.

Indiana Bugs
03-03-2012, 09:36 PM
The LC jacket always screamed COSTUME to me. The Raiders jacket looks like the real thing.

crismans
03-03-2012, 11:51 PM
The LC jacket always screamed COSTUME to me. The Raiders jacket looks like the real thing.

I have to agree even though I do like the LC jacket. The whole costume in Raiders is so cool in that it doesn't look like a costume. Every thing looks like it is something Indy has worn on all of these adventures. Everything looks lived in.

deadseascrolls
03-04-2012, 03:44 AM
I really can't explain "why" I do, but I've always loved the LC jacket. In fact, other than the CS jacket (blasphemous I know as many can't stand that jacket) my favorite would be the LC jacket. I guess I just like the color of a more brownish jacket coupled with how the distressing marks around the collar, storm-flap, and pockets give off that nice undertone to the leather. To me, this jacket looks like it's been on a lot of adventures and just seems to me to be the quintessential Indy jacket. But that's just my 2 cents talking.

Indiana Bugs
03-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Does anyone think that the distressing to the LC jacket was done as a plan? Iow, LC takes place 2 years after RotLA, so one would assume that the jacket has been through another two years of aging as only Indy can age a jacket. So, was the jacket aged with this in mind (regardless of the success or lack thereof), or did the person doing the distressing just 'go at it,' so to speak?

neutronbomb
03-04-2012, 02:13 PM
I bet they figure that we'll "understand" Indy has to replace items from time to time and we're just picking him up in the next film at a snapshot in all his day to day adventures.

Kt Templar
03-04-2012, 02:41 PM
I know there is a bit of a consensus to disregard the LC jacket because of the 'obvious' distressing, but I still love that jacket. In a way it's the jacket that most people truly remember as Indy's jacket. It's only when you become a Indy 'aficionado' does the Raiders jacket become 'the' jacket.

Kt Templar
03-04-2012, 05:36 PM
It also seems the 'go to' jacket for Lucasfilm PR dept....

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/7856/47241947.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15/47241947.jpg/)

crismans
03-04-2012, 06:51 PM
In my mind, the Temple jacket falls apart shortly after that film. He leaves the Raiders jacket on the Bantu Wind so the LC jacket is another jacket after two years of strenuous adventures.

jnicktem
03-04-2012, 09:13 PM
I know there is a bit of a consensus to disregard the LC jacket because of the 'obvious' distressing, but I still love that jacket. In a way it's the jacket that most people truly remember as Indy's jacket. It's only when you become a Indy 'aficionado' does the Raiders jacket become 'the' jacket.

That is true with me. It was the LC jacket that go me interested in Indy Gear. For some reason- the scene at the end of the motorcycle chase when Indy and his dad are arguing about which direction to go: THAT is the scene that I fell in love with the jacket! After awhile and a little exploring I fell more in love with the Raiders jacket... but the LC jacket will always have a place in my heart.

Topper
03-04-2012, 10:03 PM
IMO the LC jacket always looked most spectacular to me. The biggest detail (the distressing, snaps on the stormflap) was also noticeable without any Screenshot study. Even to an untrained Indy Film watcher.
When I was a kid the LC jacket was for sure different then the jackets in the first two Indy films.
The Raiders/TOD jacket just looked like a normal jacket to me. I'm talking about my very first opinion.
The real beauty of the raiders jacket just comes out after watching the movie frame by frame :crazy:

IfAdventureHasAName
03-05-2012, 12:23 AM
For me, "The Last Crusade" jacket has always been my favorite Indiana Jones jackets. Probably due, in part, to sentimental reasons for I remember purchasing my first "Indiana Jones" jacket when "The Last Crusade" was release back in 1989. It was the "Neil Cooper" jacket that I purchased at a higher end department store. Loved that jacket so much, I ended up purchasing two...one which ended up in one my older sisters' possession. :doh:
I think my niece has the other original one. As I got older and my body grew, I ended up purchasing two more from the Adventure Outpost at Disneyland. Both of which I still have today.

The "Last Crusade" jacket, to me, has that "been there, done that, and then some, and still survived" vibe to it.

But, I have learned to appreciate the "Raiders" jacket much more, along with the "Temple of Doom" jacket, as I got older and as my "Indiana Jones" hobby grew. As for the "Crystal Skull" jacket, nice jacket but, not to my liking.

Returningson
03-05-2012, 02:11 AM
It also seems the 'go to' jacket for Lucasfilm PR dept....

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/7856/47241947.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15/47241947.jpg/)

probably because even they cant their hands on a Raiders hero lol

djd
05-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Sorry to dig up this old thread (but there's not much else going on). I agree with the original poster that the LC jacket looks too square. Sadly it's also the way Indy jackets tend to look on me! The difference I suppose is that the raiders and temple jacket have that really splayed collar that causes them to essentially hang straight down from the shoulders leaving the entire shirt front exposed. The LC fits like a normal jacket and basically covers indy's chest whether it's zipped or not. That's how they always sit on me and makes them look very square to my eye

Indiana Bugs
05-11-2012, 10:36 PM
In my mind, the Temple jacket falls apart shortly after that film. He leaves the Raiders jacket on the Bantu Wind so the LC jacket is another jacket after two years of strenuous adventures.

I like to think that Sallah got and sent him his stuff off the BW after the conclusion of RotLA.

Gunslinger
05-12-2012, 01:48 AM
The difference I suppose is that the raiders and temple jacket have that really splayed collar that causes them to essentially hang straight down from the shoulders leaving the entire shirt front exposed. The LC fits like a normal jacket and basically covers indy's chest whether it's zipped or not. That's how they always sit on me and makes them look very square to my eye

It's an excellent point.

I really think its this aspect of the cut that is the "X factor" that people are unconsciously processing when they put on a "raiders" jacket and it doesn't -quite- look like a Raiders - even though most of the details are right. That amount of visible shirt is a huge part of the (rugged)look. Maybe also a part of why LC Indy isn't quite as cool - he's literally more square! :D

Had you thought about having a proper custom made to counteract this Derek?

djd
05-12-2012, 06:29 AM
Oh I've thought about it pal! But a) I can't justify or afford spending $1000 on a jacket and b) there's still no guarantee that it'd be right!

The raiders fit as I see it, is like hanging a scarf or shawl around your neck, with the two ends just hanging down in front of you. All that stops the scarf falling off is the presence of your shoulders and the natural inclination of the scarf is for the two hanging ends to move as far apart as possible. The raiders jacket is essentially this scarf but with sleeves attached... So how do you get a jacket to perform this way? It's not as simple as a standard set of measurements as it will behave differently depending upon the shape of the persons shoulders. For a person with relatively narrow, sloping shoulders the jacket will be much more inclined to fall off them. If you're like me and have quite broad, straight shoulders (great if you want clothes to hang on you properly!), then I think it's more difficult. It's true that you require a jacket with a large collar opening but it's not as simple as saying the collar has to hang off the back of the neck in my opinion. In the scarf analogy the scarf can be fairly snug to the back of your neck but the ends will still want to push out towards your shoulders. For me the trick is a jacket with a badly constructed shoulder, one that offers no support for the rest of the garment. The collar must be designed to allow the weight of the garment to pull it wide without any resistance from the shoulder - much like an open bath robe. Now for all that rambling I'm still not clear how to achieve that!

Gunslinger
05-12-2012, 07:53 AM
Yeah, it's an interesting problem you've got. Irritating for you I'm sure. So I take it this is even with Peter's "Hero" copy-of-a-copy pattern that should be correctly incorrect? Maybe in re-copying the Nowak, the incorrectness of the pattern was at least partially detuned? Because I can't say I'm anything near the specimen of manhood that you are (awkward silence, ~cough~ :D) but I'd say I'm fairly broad and ok built as some sort of vague benchmark. A Wested hangs on me "correctly" - very LC-ish-ly, but the Nowak slides all over the shop.

I ~kind of~ get your scarf analogy, but to me my Nowaks feel like the centre of balance is just off - it's too far forward in relation to the cut of the whole shoulder area, so it rides back while splaying open to reach that balance point. In doing so, it isn't anchored in by the shoulders anymore, so then loses lateral stability as well, so the thing just slides all over the place.

It's a shame you couldn't at least try on another UK-based gearhead's Nowak in an approximate size to test the effect and get more of a handle on how it plays out on your frame to know what to adjust. (Peter's daughter's meant to do "proper" custom jobs, isn't she?)

djd
05-12-2012, 08:08 AM
Lol! Oh yes I'm a fine specimen! I'll be comparing fantasy bench presses with Fatterson next.

What you say about the TN makes perfect sense, I just wonder how they achieved that? My Wested hero was better but their solution seems to have been to make the shoulders oversized and have it hang off that way. The problem with that is that although I have fairly big shoulders even on me I thought the shoulders were way beyond what I see in the film jackets. Look at pictures of ford with his jacket partially zipped. The shoulder seams are on his shoulders. Sure, when the collar is spread and hanging off the shoulder seams are off his shoulders by an inch or two. With the Wested, even with the jacket zipped the seams are off my shoulders by a good couple of inches. That just doesn't look right. That's why I'm now going to try the next size down (which should really be way too small) to see if that's any better. It MAY be that a slightly too small jacket will cause the front of the jacket to gape more? I was struck at how snug fords jacket looks when zipped in the raven bar scenes and it got me thinking about whether this would help. Certainly I see a much fuller jacket in CS which creates an effect exactly opposite to what I want...

PLATON
05-12-2012, 08:11 AM
Does Wested still have the original (film used) pattern for LC jacket or no?
What's the best leather for LC jacket and did TN sold his LC jackets distrtessed?

Han Jones?

Kt Templar
05-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Basically no. It's been replaced by the pattern they made whilst pitching for the CS jacket.

They make an LC/CS which has the CS double stitched armholes/leather facings and topstiched hem and back sleeve seams.

To get a LC takes a bit of work.

Gunslinger
05-12-2012, 09:56 AM
With Wested, cant you specify each of the distances to make sure it nails the right spots on your frame? Then the problem is still the cut itself, and as you mention; whether it sits correctly in a zipped vs unzipped state. Maybe it's worth you swinging by Wested for a proper fitting next time you're in London? That way you could try on a few to see if you're likely to get what you're chasing.

Platon, my impression is that all Wested can still do a good LC but I'm not sure if a really accurate one is technically still available if you ask, or just the CS/LC hybrid. Maybe KT could clarify?

Gunslinger
05-12-2012, 09:59 AM
Oops, double post. That's a bummer, KT! One day I'd love a LC in wested's shrunken lamb. (not the crispe) I reckon it'd look great distressed.

djd
05-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Yes you're right Kurt I should pop down their way if I get the chance. In the meanwhile i'll just cross my fingers and hope to get lucky with an off the rack job! The cut certainly is a mystery though. It makes you wonder how on earth they ended up with a jacket like that in the first place?

indymassilia
05-12-2012, 10:21 AM
...I don't want to interrupt this discussion but for me the problem with the Wested Last crusade jaket is the sleeves are too wide compared to the jacket Ford wore in the movie..
I asked Wested if they could make the sleeves more tapered,but they explained me it's actually impossible because of the pattern of the jacket..
But very good thing,there is no problem to remove the inside leather facings like i do on my Crusade jacket in chestnut lambskin:

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t494/georgesmassilia/crusade5c.jpg

Gunslinger
05-12-2012, 10:29 AM
No problem! That's a shame about the sleeves - I just don't get this sort of thing - why isn't the replica jacket pattern the same as the movie jacket? Should be a no-brainier. But I guess if it's modeled on the CS now...

crismans
05-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Does Wested still have the original (film used) pattern for LC jacket or no?
What's the best leather for LC jacket and did TN sold his LC jackets distrtessed?

Han Jones?

I had a TN LC jacket that I've since sold (one of the only jackets I've regretted letting go of during the years--whoever has it, let me know and I'll buy it back ;) ). It was in the darker "CS" colored leather and he did a superb job distressing it. Also, it had the more tapered sleeves which was really nice. My main problem with the CS design is that the sleeves are too big. The more tapered sleeves on the LC were a big improvement.

neutronbomb
05-12-2012, 03:00 PM
I don't understand why Wested now bases their LC off of their CS submission. Didn't they make them prior to CS. I thought Christian Slaters jacket was a Wested LC from the 90s or so. I would've thought that would be based off the film pattern. Anyway hasn't wested made a lot of LCs before CS. What pattern did they use for that. What happened to it.

Yes tony distressed his LCs. Per customer request.

djd
05-12-2012, 03:03 PM
I assume that KT is saying that they've switched their standard pattern to the CS style. No doubt they still have the old LC one but it's not what their cutters are using?

crismans
05-12-2012, 04:52 PM
I assume that KT is saying that they've switched their standard pattern to the CS style. No doubt they still have the old LC one but it's not what their cutters are using?

That's what I gathered but, to be honest, I don't understand why the change. Peter, better than perhaps any other maker, knows the "rabidity" of us when it comes to these bits of leather. I would think that a true LC design, especially with the provenience behind it, would be a better seller than an LC/CS design. Or better yet, why not offer both?

djd
05-12-2012, 05:23 PM
I agree with you entirely . Seems particularly daft to move to the design for a) the weakest film b) the worst jacket and c) the one they had nothing to do with !

Kt Templar
05-12-2012, 08:14 PM
I think they didn't want to add another iteration when a combined CS/LC suffices for most customers. The extra stitching and facings are for the 'tank' fans. Bit like the 'Raiders' version of the jacket with all the after movie changes, for the 'tank' fans too. IMO.

Kt Templar
05-12-2012, 08:26 PM
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/833/81666459.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/521/81666459.jpg/)

But yes, my last 'LC' order was modded to be an LC jacket. 1) I forgot to ask for single stitched shoulders 2) I ordered it a tad too short, so with the higher pockets, they don't work that well as pockets!

IfAdventureHasAName
05-12-2012, 08:43 PM
"Kt Templar", IMHO, you have one of THE best "Last Crusade" custom jackets that has been produced by Wested Leather. :goodjob:

djd
05-12-2012, 09:27 PM
KT has most of the best wested's ever produced!

Kt Templar
05-14-2012, 10:42 AM
Heh!

BTW this just appeared on theRaven. Pretty cool.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5849/bhslc.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/96/bhslc.jpg/)

Gunslinger
05-14-2012, 12:55 PM
Interesting to see the stunt guy is wearing what in my head was the LC hero jacket. Note the clear distressed "nick" across the storm flap.

Kt Templar
05-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Yeah, interesting isn't it?

We discovered that the horizontal mark is a artefact of wet distressing, when you wet the flap and then sand it, the leather rucks up and you get those horizontal marks. There is one just visible on my jacket.

Returningson
05-14-2012, 04:02 PM
I just love how the stunt Indy and Sean Connerys look nothing like their real life counterparts... :P

Indyoriginal
05-31-2012, 11:51 PM
Digging up an old thread here, but I'm new here, so everything is (relatively) old to me ;)

The LC jacket is by far my favorite, and I've always defended it against the decries of "obvious and overdone" distressing. I will agree that if you look directly at the actual jackets used in the movie, they do look too obviously distressed for my taste - but the effect on film is fantastic! This isn't to bash on the Raiders, which would probably have to be my close #2, but I've always loved how the LC jacket looked thicker and more substantial than Raiders' "leather windbreaker," like something a "real" Indy would have actually worn in the 40s. I've gone back and forth in my mind about which hide I believe the LC was cut from. Over on COW, there are definitely a plethora of opinions. I know (don't remember from where) that the standard accepted hide is lamb. Our communal favorite alumni COW member said he saw it in person and it "screamed cow," for whatever it's worth. And I also believe that many still believe it is lamb, but was soaked (don't remember if it was supposedly in water or some sort of oil?) so as to achieve that thicker look that I appreciate so much. I'd guess that it was some form of lamb, although I have no idea why it looks the way it does. Guess I need to do some more reading up.

Anyway, definitely my favorite jacket. WAY better than that terrible fitting TOD jacket, whose fit looks like something made in the 70s :) (Just to incense you TOD-jacket-lovers out there a bit more, it was Patterson's favorite jacket) ;) Just joking though, guys, the TOD has its moments.

Oildale Jones
06-01-2012, 12:20 AM
Late to the party here, but I'm glad to find like-minded folks. The LC jacket looks to me like a pale imitation of the original Indy jacket. The distressing jumps out at me as glaringly artificial. I'm OK with the idea that Indy bought a new jacket after Raiders, but I wish they'd taken more care to make it look natural. And you know what else? I hate all those dry, lifeless cowhide jackets! The best thing I ever saw anyone do to an LC jacket was soak it in Obenauf's...and it still came across as an attempt to replicate the look of lambskin.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Indyoriginal
06-01-2012, 01:31 AM
Haha Oildale! But HF asked for cowhide in CS specifically! I know what you mean though - the CS cow jacket is unfailingly lifeless.