PDA

View Full Version : Offset sleeve back seam/yoke seam

RCSignals
07-26-2010, 11:16 PM
the raiders jacket of Indiana Jones has an off set sleeve/yoke seam. (except maybe the sitting at the dockside Bantu Wind dockside scene jacket)
Most jacket makers do not do this, it is more of a correct detail to align these seams. The Temple of Doom, Last crusade and Crystal Skull jackets all have aligned seams

Can anyone think of other jackets having misaligned seams? The most common is probably a jean jacket.

crismans
07-27-2010, 12:06 AM
Really, the Raiders jacket is the only jacket I've noticed that has this feature (I'll have to look at some jean jackets as I've not noticed this detail with them before).

Pretty much every jacket maker I've spoken to refers to the offset seams as a "flaw" in the construction.

Kt Templar
08-01-2010, 10:18 AM
The default setting is to make the seams line up... perhaps that is machinists wanting to be tidy.

I'm not sure in this case it was decided either way. But the oval of the top of the sleeve should dictate how it is fitted into the armhole.

I've noticed that on OTR's the seam can deviate from above the yoke seam to below it and the size of the jacket may have some bearing on this.

The errors Nowak saw in the jacket he examined may have been exaggerated by time, damage during filming or by mis-storage. I've tried on one of his R1's and the front back swing is quite pronounced.