PDA

View Full Version : New order of jackets in

crismans
10-08-2011, 01:39 PM
I got an email from Todd's Costumes that a new batch of standards are in. The price has went up to $199 (I remember Todd telling us this would be the case as his costs have really skyrocketted as of late) but I still think that it's one, if not the, best deals in the Indy gear world. Hopefully, Todd will check in and let us know what the leather is on this run and if the small details have been corrected from the last batch.

Todd
10-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Yes, these jackets FINALLY are perfect, IMO. Except on the next order I'd like them to use a wire slider instead of the cast ones they're using now. Zippers are great, all the contruction is perfect. And the leather... I think it's just right (for a replica Indy jacket, that is. This is not leather you'd find on a $600 jacket, but it feels great, moves right, and has the right amount of grain).

Unfortunately, the cost of leather is going up, especially NZ lambskin is in short supply and high demand. Also, freight costs have skyrocketed. The world's economic problems have finally caught up with us.

-Todd

RCSignals
10-08-2011, 07:11 PM
That's good NEWS Todd.

I heard somewhere the shortage of lambskin, high demand, and skyrocketing price was because China is buying up all the worlds leather supply.....

Todd
10-14-2011, 01:42 AM
Word.

Scott-round
07-31-2012, 11:58 PM
I got a new Todd's jacket last October. The leather is great and has similar striations as the Relic Hunter. It's not that awful dino-hide... It's more subtle. The Todd's jacket is a great alternative at a great price. I did some experimenting with distressing the jacket, and I think it looks great.

crismans
08-01-2012, 01:04 AM
I got a new Todd's jacket last October. The leather is great and has similar striations as the Relic Hunter. It's not that awful dino-hide... It's more subtle. The Todd's jacket is a great alternative at a great price. I did some experimenting with distressing the jacket, and I think it looks great.

Pics please!

neutronbomb
08-01-2012, 05:25 AM
+1

cm289
08-02-2012, 01:36 AM

Nice avatar! ;)

Scott-round
08-02-2012, 02:23 AM
I've never posted images before, so I'm not sure if this will work or not.

It may take a few tries, but 'm sure i'll figure it out.

Please be patient with a newby.

Indy_surrender

crismans
08-02-2012, 03:28 AM
It's really easy. Just upload your pics to photobucket (there are other sites as well but I've always used photobucket). After uploading, you can look at the pic and it will have an image (IMG) tag. Copy and paste that tag in a message here and you're done.

Scott-round
08-02-2012, 01:32 PM
Thanks Crismans! I'll give it a try when I get home from work tonight.

Scott-round
08-03-2012, 12:55 AM
Here are some pictures.

When I ordered the jacket, I asked for the grainiest leather they had, and said that I was OK with it being thicker (since I live near Edmonton). I also told them that I didn't want dino-hide!!! This is what I got. Needless to say I was very pleased. $199 is a lot easier to swallow than $800+.

This is my first Indy jacket, and I'm in no rush to get another one because this one turned out so great. At least I think so.

I'm not sure why more people don't talk about the great leathers that the Coyle jackets are using.

Feel free to ask questions if you want.

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o599/Scott-round/IMG_8740.jpg
http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o599/Scott-round/IMG_8739.jpg
http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o599/Scott-round/IMG_8735.jpg
http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o599/Scott-round/IMG_8733.jpg
http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o599/Scott-round/IMG_8730.jpg
http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o599/Scott-round/IMG_8726.jpg

crismans
08-03-2012, 01:27 AM
I have to say that that is some sweet looking leather! My first reaction is that's a game changer if Todd can consistently produce jackets that look that good! I honestly find myself reaching for my Todds (the one with the yoke and sleeve seam matched) because of the light weight. If I can get one like this, I would be in heaven.

neutronbomb
08-03-2012, 01:35 AM
For those who wish to do so they can also click on the image button (tree in the picture frame) on the message toolbar and then click on 'From URL' (always this one NOT from COMPUTER) and insert the URL without the IMG on the ends. Make sure that the 'Retrieve remote file and reference locally' checkbox is marked and then hit the OK button at the bottom.

It makes it look like an oversized thumbnail, but when you click on it it opens up into a cool viewing window that allows you to click through all the pics in the post and view them in that window. I think it's pretty rad and looks clean. Check out a few below I did with Scott-round's photos.

K-Wad
08-03-2012, 02:07 AM
My wife has a Todd's jacket from the new batch and it is a great feeling and looking leather.
Hers has a few light striations, but, nothing like that! WOW! You hit the jackpot on that one!

crismans
08-03-2012, 08:34 PM
For those who wish to do so they can also click on the image button (tree in the picture frame) on the message toolbar and then click on 'From URL' (always this one NOT from COMPUTER) and insert the URL without the IMG on the ends. Make sure that the 'Retrieve remote file and reference locally' checkbox is marked and then hit the OK button at the bottom.

It makes it look like an oversized thumbnail, but when you click on it it opens up into a cool viewing window that allows you to click through all the pics in the post and view them in that window. I think it's pretty rad and looks clean. Check out a few below I did with Scott-round's photos.

Showoff. ;)

crismans
08-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Well, based on Scott-round's pictures, I called Todd's yesterday and ordered a jacket. Todd said that he had a lot of jackets that had the type of grain of Scott-round's and they would do their best to match one up. Like I said before, I find myself reaching for my old Todd's a lot because of the weight. It's perfect for Spring and Fall where my Nowaks or Westeds are too heavy. So if I can get one that has that degree of "SAness" , I'll be a happy camper indeed.

Scott-round
08-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Good luck with the Todds, Crismans. Hopefully you get the great leather as well. Send some pics when your jacket arrives.

There's nothing like the beef jerky smell of a brand new Coyle jacket!

Cheers!

crismans
08-10-2012, 03:30 AM
Got my jacket from Todd's yesterday. Good service as always and I'll post pics in the next few days. But, for now, I thought I'd briefly go over my intial impressions.

First, a little background. Ever since I saw RCSignals striated lamb from Tony, I wanted one. I sold my 2nd generation Shrunken Lamb to help fund one from Tony. As they often do, bills crept up, however, and I ended up going with a Nowak in 747. Now, I love that leather. It's one of my absolute favorites. But the desire for a striated lamb was still there.

I got a Wings import, but the way the collar stand/storm flap is arranged was too "non-SA" for me to ever like it. I didn't want to spend $600 on a US version because I thought that was too much for an OTR that still had pattern problems. So, I had been looking at getting a Bill Kelso. I still might get one later on, but, for now, I can say that my jacket search is over (I only say for now, because I know how I am and how this jacket stuff goes ;) ).

First of all, the leather reminds me A LOT of the Wings striated lamb at a third of the cost. It has much the same look and feel. Way superior to my other Todds (which was made circa 2010?--it has the collar stand out on both sides and the aligned shoulder and yoke seams). The pattern is really, really good. The above mentioned problems are gone now. It really looks the part. I am totally happy with this jacket. Does that fact that I only paid $216 shipped add to my happiness? Absolutely, but I would still be happy if I had paid $300-$400 for it (don't take that as a license to raise your prices though Todd!).

If you've not checked out any of the new batch of Todd's jackets, you really owe it to yourself to do so. I think you would be very pleasantly surprised. I don't think any better value is to be found in our hobby.

And, like I said, pics over the weekend.

neutronbomb
08-10-2012, 02:46 PM
congrads Crismans. It's exciting to get that package every time. Even more so when you open it up and it's everything you hoped it would be. Good for you. Can't wait for pics Indy_cheers

Scott-round
08-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Congrats Crismans! Can't wait to see the pictures.

crismans
10-05-2012, 01:19 AM
Okay, after far, far too long, I've finally getting to putting some pics up. My pics look a lot like Scott-round's but I wanted to show just how good and consistent this round of Todd's jackets are. I've had quite a few Indy jackets but this is one of my favorites. The pics you see here are after some casual use and one fairly good rain soaking.

I think we (at least I used to) overlook Todd's unless we're looking for a "bargain" Indy jacket. While they are certainly a bargain, this new iteration can stack up to the big boys in terms of leather and pattern. The construction seems pretty hefty as well. The first pic is a comparison between the new jacket and the previous incarnation of Todd's.

*Bryan, I tried your trick for the oversized thumbnails but it came out with the big pics. I couldn't find the boxes to check, for example, so that might have been the reason. Feel free to modify my post to save space!*

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q421/crismans_photos/DSCN0315.jpghttp://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q421/crismans_photos/DSCN0314.jpghttp://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q421/crismans_photos/DSCN0313.jpghttp://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q421/crismans_photos/DSCN0312.jpghttp://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q421/crismans_photos/DSCN0311.jpghttp://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q421/crismans_photos/DSCN0310.jpg

K-Wad
10-05-2012, 01:31 AM
WOW!! Where has all this great leather been coming from?
Seems like every vendor lately has stocked up on the coolest skins.

Hmmm....I just spent $200 bucks on electric guitar pickups as an early birthday present to myself.
Do you think it's too early to be buying myself early Christmas presents? ;D

I'll be seeing Todd at the COW summit in November. I'll see if I can't pick out a nice one for myself then.

IfAdventureHasAName
10-05-2012, 01:39 AM
That's a jacket from the new batch at "Todd's Costumes"?!? :o Nice. VERY nice. Thank you for sharing the pictures, "Crismans". Very much appreciated. :goodjob:

Been "eyeing" a new "ROTLA" jacket, possibly in a lighter weight than my Wested Leathers "Hero" jacket in soft seal cowhide, which is actually a very light and thin cowhide, and have been looking at several vendors. But, after seeing these pictures, looks like "Todd Costumes" has just been added as a potential vendor.

I previously owned a "Todd's" "Raiders" jacket but, the leather definitely did not look like that.

K-Wad
10-05-2012, 02:31 AM
That leather feels even better than it looks. So buttery soft, yet still meaty with a good density.
Awesome stuff!

Some times when I get things out of the closet, I'll stop and take a second to feel up my wife's jacket....wait, that didn't sound right.

Gunslinger
10-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Yeah, awesome looking stuff.

djd
10-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Great looking leather!

crismans
10-06-2012, 01:03 AM
Thanks guys. You're getting a lot of jacket for your $200 bucks with this one. K-Wad is right in that the leather feels terrific. The other Todd's standards I've owned have felt sort of thin (like a Sears jacket or something). These feel very substantial.

neutronbomb
10-06-2012, 02:25 AM
Hey Crismans. Your pics are fine. I tried using that method again and I'm not having success either. Something must have got turned off.

Wonderful jacket. Any pointers on the fit or sizing. What did you go with.

K-Wad
10-06-2012, 04:46 AM
I was at the mall today and stopped by a Wilson's leather and they had jackets there that looked and felt like the Todd's except it had evenly placed striations on the chest panels of EVERY jacket of that design (like the striations were part of the design and not randomly placed).
Looks like we're ahead of the fashion curve!;D

Scott-round
10-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Congrats, Crismans. Looks like the leather on my jacket was not a fluke.

Wear it in good health.

Weston
10-07-2012, 06:45 PM
Very fine jacket Crismans! Is the leather lighter in weight than the Wings import you had?

I still have my Todd's Raiders jacket from 2008; near perfect pattern and details in my opinion, but the leather is a bit bland in terms of character. I'd go for this in a heartbeat if the details are the same.

crismans
10-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Thanks again for the kind comments! And thanks for posting pics of your jacket, Scott-round! It was your pics that caused me to pull the trigger. Big kudos!

NB, the sizes are much more standardized than they used to be. I wear a 48-50 so went with a XXL. Fit well through the shoulders but a little wide in the waist so I worked the straps and got a good fit. If you're good with OTR sizes, you'll have no trouble here.

Weston, if I remember the weight of the Wings right (I sent it back pretty quickly), this is quite a bit lighter than that jacket. I think the jacket's details are spot on for all but perhaps the most zealous SA'er. ;) The collar stand and yoke/shoulder seam problems from the previous batch are fixed. Really good pattern in this iteration.

Weston
10-07-2012, 09:09 PM
That's good to know. My main concern was the yolk/shoulder seam configuration. Thanks!