PDA

View Full Version : Layer Cake Jacket

Nefarious
09-19-2011, 11:05 PM
hi folks,

i'm currently on the hunt for a good Layer Cake Jacket and thought i'd drop into the forum that has the best collective minds :)

i know there are offerings with wested, magnoli, soul revolver (still?), and dan the man. I think dan has got the closest thing to the real dunhill jacket with the leather lining, but still a little too red.

the beauty of the jacket is that its simple and from first glance, looks like a $100 jacket from the mall :D.....but the beauty of it is in the construction with it's articulated arm panels, leather lining, and subtle decorative stitching. the body does have a double layer of leather to accomodate the inside breast pockets.....I am not sure but maybe even the sleeves are doubled up (instead of just a single hide thats brown on the outside and red on the inside). It also gives it a different character when it drapes, molds, and crinkles.......that's what i like about it :)

considering the actual jacket is not on racks and the fact that $4K is better spent elsewhere....i'm shopping for a vendor ;)

what do you folks think of the LC jacket (i guess LC is a confusing acronym for this forum ;) )......

TheExit148
09-20-2011, 12:56 AM
I believe Dan has/had access to an original Dunhill jacket, and has or is correcting his version to be 100% screen accurate. I'd try Dan for sure.

RCSignals
09-20-2011, 02:22 AM
Yes I agree check with Dan. At this point he should be your best bet for what you are looking for.

crismans
09-20-2011, 02:53 AM
One more vote for Dan. I think he's got closest to the real thing. Although, Kittlemeir has a real Dunhill and is have a reproduction made--is this the one Dan's got access too?

Nefarious
09-20-2011, 03:47 AM
i sent dan an e-mail at logan's closet.....is he good at answering e-mails or is he using the same e-mail system as fedora ;) (kidding!)

TheExit148
09-20-2011, 11:25 AM
One more vote for Dan. I think he's got closest to the real thing. Although, Kittlemeir has a real Dunhill and is have a reproduction made--is this the one Dan's got access too?
Yes I believe that is the one Dan has.

Nefarious
09-20-2011, 05:53 PM
....thought so.

okay, here's my breakdown:

wested layer cake......nice jacket, but sleeves are too barrelly.....and KT, you need to get Peter to change out that model sporting the jacket....he's not making any sales with that picture :D.

magnoli layer cake - 2 to 3 month delivery

logans closet - knowing vanson, it will be a 6+ month delivery

soul revolver - the length on all counts (sleeves and back) will be too long based on their standard sizing

there is only one who can deliver this jacket to me, custom tailored and speced before the white stuff hits the ground........

either that or i say screw it and buy a kelso a2.....LOL

RCSignals
09-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Kelso may have some other offerings up their sleeve that might interest you.

That said Jonathan Logan has made a Layer Cake jacket as well

Nefarious
09-23-2011, 09:01 PM
update....talked to Dan the Man, and he is at the mercy of his tailor who is on another continent. He cannot confirm a 1 month turnaround which is a deal breaker for me. I have ordered jackets in the past where 6 to 8 weeks turn into 6 months. That scenario is too loose for someone who has no patience at all :D

However, through it all, I must say that Dan is a very honest stand up guy who tells it like it is. I have yet to see someone disappointed with one of his products once you account for the wait factor.

I pulled the trigger on an LC jacket today. I will post pics when I get it and you can play 'guess who made it'...

crismans
09-23-2011, 10:45 PM
Yeah, if you are really impatient or on a schedule, then Dan may not be the way to go (with the caveat that he's at Vanson's mercy). But he always straight shoots (and that's actually meant in an era when that phrase is thrown around too much) and, from what I've read and seen through pics, his products are top notch.

Nefarious
10-20-2011, 04:52 AM
i was on the way to work this morning and when i opened the door, a nice parcel was brushing up to my feet :)

i got my layer cake jacket and i am very happy with it. now, i wouldn't be a jacket monger if i couldn't pick it apart to pieces in an SA comparison/dunhill comparison....LOL

first thing to note is the lining. though it is leather, it is not very apparent. the maker used the reverse side of pig suede to harness the thin nature of that particular hide. very interesting. the original definitely showboats the fact that the lining is leather whereas this one is more elusive. i have a feeling however that its leathery nature will come out over time :) secondly, the 2 way zip is brass and not nickel per the original. i am guess that this seems to be a jacket maker rule of thumb - brass zips with brown jackets and nickel zips with black jackets.....a major faux pas if you cross the lines :hellno: and lastly, the sleeves are 3 piece construction....i guess we need to invest more in giving lambs steroids..LOL

all that aside however, the colour, cut, fit, stitching, collar size, sleeve size, hem length, pocket piping....they all combine to seriously overshadow the said shortcomings. in the end, i am very happy to own this unique creation.

she's still settling in and molding to my arnold-like frame (arnold from happy days...LOL). i will try to snap some pics in a couple of days......once i get these pills 3 boxes of pills sold ;).......

RCSignals
10-20-2011, 05:00 AM
Yes, definitely we need photos.

Weston
10-20-2011, 05:41 AM
Forgive me if this is obvious, but what is a layer cake jacket?

Weston

RCSignals
10-20-2011, 05:46 AM
Forgive me if this is obvious, but what is a layer cake jacket?

Weston

If I may, it is a jacket from an obscure British movie featuring Daniel Craig.

Jacket a fashion piece from Dunhill.

Kt Templar
10-20-2011, 10:12 AM
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/layer_cake/

Although somewhat obscure, it is a bit of a cult movie. It features Daniel Craig in what is seen to almost be his audition for Bond and is Directed by Matthew Vaughn who later directed 'Kick Ass' and 'X-Men First Class' as well as produced 'Lock Stock' and 'Snatch' among many others. He also happens to be married to Claudia Schiffer!

It also features a ton of well known, and less well known, British actors such as Michael Gambon, Colm Meany and, for an Indy link, George Harris (Katanga) has a very meaty role in this film.

Weston
10-20-2011, 06:37 PM
Thanks! I hadn't heard about it before, but it sounds good.

Weston

Nefarious
10-21-2011, 01:40 AM
i actually thought the movie was quite entertaining......gotta watch it at least twice as the plot is....yes....'obscure'....LOL

i didn't think twice about the jacket when i first saw the movie....the appeal of the jacket (for me) is that daniel craig kept one from the movie way back when....and still wears it around everywhere and anywhere :)

....camera batteries are charging..i'll grab some pics.

Nefarious
10-22-2011, 01:46 AM
.....welcome to the layer cake son..... 8)

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m212/indiana_g/DSC03115.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m212/indiana_g/DSC03116.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m212/indiana_g/DSC03112.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m212/indiana_g/DSC03113.jpg

RCSignals
10-22-2011, 02:20 AM
Looks quite good, it should take better form, like a second skin, after wearing it for a while.
That first photo has a illusion going on with one sleeve, it looks huge, but obviously isn't.

I wonder if the double stitching was a little closer together on the original, but it may just be how it appears in the photos.

Nefarious
10-22-2011, 02:36 AM
Looks quite good, it should take better form, like a second skin, after wearing it for a while.
That first photo has a illusion going on with one sleeve, it looks huge, but obviously isn't.

I wonder if the double stitching was a little closer together on the original, but it may just be how it appears in the photos.

i didn't notice the phantom big sleeve LOL.......the jacket is on the bed and my camera is tilted down.

you are right though, the original dunhill's stitching is tighter and with thicker thread (and the leather was alot darker)........i'm not complaining though as this jacket has made me quite happy :)

Weston
10-22-2011, 06:08 AM
That does look good!

Kittlemeier
10-26-2011, 08:55 AM
Nice looking jacket. If you were willing, a coating of some sort of leather conditioner along the front edges/panels may give it the original's shiny, cracked look, but, like you said, I'd let wear and the oils and dirt that it will collect over time do that.

What do you mean when you say three piece sleeves? The Dunhill has three piece sleeves but they're all vertical. The trimmed seam is kind of in the middle of where a full panel would be and there are still two normally placed seams totaling three, if that makes sense. But if your's has the often used horizontal seam on the back sleeve panel, then no, it wouldn't be correct.

Is it a Heron? Looks very good whatever it is.

And it wasn't quite $4K. :crazy:

By the way, Dan hasn't actually physically examined the jacket as I'm not willing to ship it. Don't trust the shipping companies enough. I had hoped to catch him at DragonCon. As I live in GA it would have been convenient but he wasn't able to attend this year. I've answered questions he had as well as questions that others have had but no one has actually seen the jacket in person yet. I'm hopeful that when work slows in the winter I'll be able to really get the ball rolling, maybe do some visiting. Unfortunately when I received the jacket work was already heavy and will be for a couple more months. I'd love to see a couple of screen accurate versions available with differences in price dependent on quality of materials.

Nefarious
10-28-2011, 04:35 AM
Nice looking jacket. If you were willing, a coating of some sort of leather conditioner along the front edges/panels may give it the original's shiny, cracked look, but, like you said, I'd let wear and the oils and dirt that it will collect over time do that.

What do you mean when you say three piece sleeves? The Dunhill has three piece sleeves but they're all vertical. The trimmed seam is kind of in the middle of where a full panel would be and there are still two normally placed seams totaling three, if that makes sense. But if your's has the often used horizontal seam on the back sleeve panel, then no, it wouldn't be correct.

Is it a Heron? Looks very good whatever it is.

And it wasn't quite $4K. :crazy:

By the way, Dan hasn't actually physically examined the jacket as I'm not willing to ship it. Don't trust the shipping companies enough. I had hoped to catch him at DragonCon. As I live in GA it would have been convenient but he wasn't able to attend this year. I've answered questions he had as well as questions that others have had but no one has actually seen the jacket in person yet. I'm hopeful that when work slows in the winter I'll be able to really get the ball rolling, maybe do some visiting. Unfortunately when I received the jacket work was already heavy and will be for a couple more months. I'd love to see a couple of screen accurate versions available with differences in price dependent on quality of materials.

hey kittlemeier, thanks for the compliment......and thank you for sharing your pictures of your dunhill at FJ. it was very big of you to do that and that is what helped me and milos alot :).....yes she's a custom from Original Leather Factory. he did a great job.....again :) it's amazing what the man can do with pictures. your lucky to have that dunhill as she is oozing with unconventional leather craftsmanship. that 3 pc sleeve that you mention is another strange thing that i haven't heard of......i don't mind my 3 piece sleeves as the wrinkling that has set in has almost made the seam invisible :)

she's breaking in very nicely and i am going to wear her all winter long......with an overcoat of course ;)

Kittlemeier
10-30-2011, 01:22 AM
No problem at all, it was fun to finally see how differently the jacket was put together from others.

Here's a pic of the inside of the cuff to help explain the "three piece" construction. Each of these seams run the entire length of the sleeve, like a normal(for us) two piece sleeve would be made.

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx192/omcglamery/IMG_3644.jpg

crismans
10-30-2011, 12:48 PM
Thanks for sharing these, Kittlemeier. It's very generous, especially considering what you paid for your original, to put up pics and for being willing to work with Dan to get a totally accurate repro out there. A lot of people would have put this in the vault and not let anyone share.

Kittlemeier
10-31-2011, 12:23 AM
Yeah man, it's a real hassle every time someone has a question I have to go to the bank to get it out of the safe deposit box. ;)