PDA

View Full Version : Wested "Hero" now up

crismans
06-23-2011, 06:36 PM
Jnickterm posted about this over at FJ. I've not gone over the pics with a SA fine tooth comb yet :afro: but it looks pretty darn good from what I can tell. Plus it's always nice to get a new offering of shrunken lamb. Someone mind going over the difference between this and the other offer, the crispe? I'm having trouble recalling the difference.

http://www.wested.com/indy-hero-jacket-501-p.asp

jnicktem
06-23-2011, 06:47 PM
This is the one jacket that might get me to buy another raiders jacket. I could use a nice back up to my TNO.

For what I understand, the crispe leather is more scaley, kind of like dino-hide as some people call it.

RCSignals
06-23-2011, 06:55 PM
As I recall the Crispe originally posted (elsewhere) way back when was cowhide.

crismans
06-23-2011, 07:34 PM
This is the one jacket that might get me to buy another raiders jacket. I could use a nice back up to my TNO.

For what I understand, the crispe leather is more scaley, kind of like dino-hide as some people call it.

I'm with you on this one. I had a Nowak shrunken lamb but it was the Mark II "fingerpucker" style. I love the jacket but could never warm up to the pattern of the leather. I would have rather had either his first version (which Tony said matched the jacket he examined) or the striated leather that I think RC worked on getting. At any rate, I sold that jacket and used the money to get my Nowak Raiders in 747.

But I've always had a hankering to get a Raiders in striated lamb. I'm not a big fan of Wings anymore after all of the Cooper business, but was almost to the point of breaking and getting a legend. This offering is right up my alley though!

Kt Templar
06-23-2011, 09:30 PM
As I recall the Crispe originally posted (elsewhere) way back when was cowhide.

Seems that the 'crispe' process can be applied to Cow and to lamb. It is that enzyme/chemical shrinking process that causes the largish pebble cells.

The other is a normal shrinking process that produces somewhat thicker tougher skins, with a bit of grain. I think Peter is trying to say is that as it is not heavily topcoated the colour can be slightly variable. Sort of rustic! Dirk has a ToD made out of it, it's very Indy.

RCSignals
06-23-2011, 09:39 PM
Dirk has a ToD made of which? Crispe?

Maybe he'll post it here. Lots of grain on a ToD would be interesting to see.

Yes, it may just have been the large hide earlier shown that was cowhide. The enzyme process will have different effect on different species depending on the grain of the skin. We see this in the different species of sheep/lamb where there is "bubbling" on some and "scales" on others. The amount of enzyme used makes a difference and can result in a subtle or extreme effect (neutronbomb's jacket).

Raider S
06-23-2011, 09:52 PM
I'd rather buy a jacket from Wested than USW.

From the photos I don't see the scales clearly, but I'm viewing on an iPod.

RCSignals
06-23-2011, 09:57 PM
I'd rather buy a jacket from Wested than USW.

From the photos I don't see the scales clearly, but I'm viewing on an iPod.

Only the 'crispe' has exaggerated 'scales'. The 'shrunken lamb' looks much like some of the variations TN had.

Kt Templar
06-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Dirk has a ToD made of which? Crispe?

Maybe he'll post it here. Lots of grain on a ToD would be interesting to see.

Yes, it may just have been the large hide earlier shown that was cowhide. The enzyme process will have different effect on different species depending on the grain of the skin. We see this in the different species of sheep/lamb where there is "bubbling" on some and "scales" on others. The amount of enzyme used makes a difference and can result in a subtle or extreme effect (neutronbomb's jacket).

Dirk's is the shrunken lamb. Not Crispe. I don't think he posts here.

crismans
06-24-2011, 02:34 AM
Hmm, don't know if I'll be able to get this one or not. The sizing only goes to a 44 right now. I've lost about 15 pounds as of late, but there's no way I'll ever be able to get into a 44. If Peter will take this up to 48, I'm in!

PLATON
06-24-2011, 10:49 AM
doesn't look bad at all

crismans
06-24-2011, 03:03 PM
Got an email back from Gemma saying that 44 is as large as they can go right now because of the size of the lambskin. I'm hoping they'll be able to change this in the future. Tony was able to wrap my fat butt in shrunken lamb!

Oh, she did say that you could get the pattern in another hide and get larger sizes, so that might be just the ticket for some. For me though, it's the shrunken lamb or bust.

hovitos loincloth
06-24-2011, 04:31 PM
I got one in Pre dis cowhide and they seem to have followed the specs form the Nowak Raiders 000- at least on mine anyway. Storm flap is 1 3/4". I don't know if this is upscaling as I got a 46" with 27" back and 28" arms. The other "heros" have 1 1/2 storm flaps. The pattern seems to have had a warm response. It's a pity the Wested site pics don't really do the hides justice.

RCSignals
06-24-2011, 06:59 PM
Got an email back from Gemma saying that 44 is as large as they can go right now because of the size of the lambskin. I'm hoping they'll be able to change this in the future. Tony was able to wrap my fat butt in shrunken lamb!

Oh, she did say that you could get the pattern in another hide and get larger sizes, so that might be just the ticket for some. For me though, it's the shrunken lamb or bust.

They need to learn how to work with the 'shrunken' lambskins. They aren't 'shrunk' as in permanently shrunk.
Tony not only made yours but his own which was even a larger size. I'm sure Wested and Peter can do it.

bigrex
06-29-2011, 03:57 AM
Anyone know if access to photos of the various leathers exists?

crismans
06-29-2011, 01:34 PM
They need to learn how to work with the 'shrunken' lambskins. They aren't 'shrunk' as in permanently shrunk.
Tony not only made yours but his own which was even a larger size. I'm sure Wested and Peter can do it.

When I'm ready to pull the trigger, I might call Peter and talk it over with him. Nothing against Gemma, but sometimes you can work something out with Peter that she doesn't know about. I did it with my oil pulled cowhide ToD (my favorite Wested, by the way).
When I'm ready to pull the trigger, I might call Peter and talk it over with him. Nothing against Gemma, but sometimes you can work something out with Peter that she doesn't know about. I did it with my oil pulled cowhide ToD (my favorite Wested, by the way).

Anyone know if access to photos of the various leathers exists?

I think that's a very needed feature. And BIG photos too. Wested has some pics of the crispe and shrunken lamb up but they're too small to make out any details.

jnicktem
06-29-2011, 04:10 PM
I e-mailed Gemma about getting some better pics of the leathers and she said that all they had were the ones on the website. Which kind of stinks since I want to see more of the crispe leather before making an order.

RCSignals
06-29-2011, 09:11 PM
'Crispe' is just the French term for the shrunken grain process Tony Nowak talked about as was used in his 'shrunken lamb'

An Internet search should bring it up. Wested's 'shrunken lamb' from the photo appears to use the same process.

bigrex
06-30-2011, 02:29 AM
I e-mailed Gemma about getting some better pics of the leathers and she said that all they had were the ones on the website. Which kind of stinks since I want to see more of the crispe leather before making an order.

Anyone live nearby and can make a field trip for leather research purposes? Do they keep the leather on hand at the shop?

Titus
06-30-2011, 01:56 PM
Doesn't look bad at all. I may be getting in on this one.

Kt Templar
06-30-2011, 02:37 PM
BTW if you 'right click' on the little image of the leather a much larger image can be accessed.

RCSignals
06-30-2011, 07:18 PM
Doesn't look bad at all. I may be getting in on this one.

I agree it looks quite good.

As I recall a while back Peter said this jacket would be his Swan song, so who knows how much longer it (and Wested) will be available!

jnicktem
06-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Well I just ordered a Wested Hero in the shrunken lamb. I hope it turns out the way I am hoping it does!

crismans
07-01-2011, 02:05 AM
Well I just ordered a Wested Hero in the shrunken lamb. I hope it turns out the way I am hoping it does!

So you fit under the magic 44, jnickterm? I'm not trying to be smarmy toward Wested. I just wish they would work on making bigger sizes. If Tony could do it, I know Peter could. Is Saturday mornings (his time) still the best time to get in touch with him? Sometimes, he'll agree to work on something that Gemma (only saying what she's been told, I'm sure) says can't be done.

jnicktem
07-01-2011, 05:30 AM
Yeah I'm a 42. For what I hear, Gemma said they don't make larger sizes because the leather they have is not big enough. I would talk to Peter as I am willing to bet he can do it.

RCSignals
07-01-2011, 05:34 AM
I'm sure they've figured out how to work with it.

The panels that take the largest pieces are actually the front. Take a look at your TN Raider and you'll see.

jnicktem
07-01-2011, 05:38 AM
Oh I know- but I also know someone else was told what I said above.

Kt Templar
07-01-2011, 08:07 AM
Longest pieces are the front, but it's the width that is the problem and the main back piece comes up against that hurdle.

You also have the issue that some of the really big sizes need talls as well.

RCSignals
07-01-2011, 09:09 AM
They need to learn how to stretch and cut the skins, and keep cut shape. It's the cell structure that is 'shrunk' up and becomes elastic. The actual skins are not (much) smaller.

Kt Templar
07-01-2011, 09:19 AM
I'm sure they know that RCS. :)

The shrunk lamb does actually have quite small skins. If you need a big jacket there is always cow, and they have some lovely lightweight cowhides now.

RCSignals
07-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Oh I agree there are a lot of good reasons to go with another skin. The only way to get 'the look' though is with that shrunken lamb skin.

PLATON
07-05-2011, 06:59 AM
someone pls post as worn pics

RCSignals
07-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Someone has to have some new photos of this jacket.

jnicktem
07-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Still waiting to get mine.

Kt Templar
07-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Give them a ring to make sure it hasn't fallen between the cracks.

SL is now sold out BTW.

RCSignals
07-15-2011, 08:11 PM
SL is now sold out BTW.

that's good and bad. Means jackets have been ordered and sold, and means some will have to wait for more SL.

But there has to be some photos out there yet...

crismans
07-18-2011, 12:12 AM
KT, tell Peter to get some larger SL hides! Like I said, if Tony could get some for my paunch, then Peter can! I don't want to go the Wings route for obvious reasons.

As an aside, I hear that a certain blockhead is starting up on this jacket. Apparently, he didn't get a freebie?

DocWeeks
07-18-2011, 03:01 AM
He's certainly begging for one.

Kevin Anderson
07-18-2011, 09:15 AM
KT, tell Peter to get some larger SL hides! Like I said, if Tony could get some for my paunch, then Peter can! I don't want to go the Wings route for obvious reasons.

As an aside, I hear that a certain blockhead is starting up on this jacket. Apparently, he didn't get a freebie?

Even if they had larger hides, Peter has said he'll only go two sizes up and two sizes down from the original '40', to maintain (roughly) the proper proportions of the jacket.
I for one applaud this decision, though I understand it might be a bit of a headache for the larger or smaller guys. Wested have shown their not too good at upsizing
or downsizing; their larger TOD's in particular looked plain terrible, and just wrong. So, better to just produce the 'Hero' jacket they way it's supposed to look, in my opinion.
There's always the regular Raiders or LC I guess, if they can get larger shrunken lamb hides. Is that what you were after Crismans?

crismans
07-18-2011, 01:10 PM
If they would do the regular Raiders in a SL hide, I would definitely look at it. And then probably have to get a Hero in dark, soft goat. ;)

While I understand the reasoning behind Peter's decision, it is a bit disappointing. I've lost around 15-20 pounds so far, but I'll never hit a 44. I'm just not built for it.

jnicktem
07-18-2011, 07:22 PM
It looks like my Wested Hero in Shrunken Lamb shipped today. Hopefully customs doesn't decide to hold onto it like every other package from Wested I have received.

RCSignals
07-19-2011, 12:23 AM
It is actually the carrier that makes the decision re Customs processing. They can make the decision to send on to destination or process for Customs fees and duty.
in my experience Fed Ex has been best, followed by UPS, and the worst for getting hit with customs and duty fees, DHL.
mail has been good and services such as Parcel Force and Airsure out of the Uk have been good.

jnicktem
07-19-2011, 02:10 AM
Damn, the notification I received was from DHL. :doh:

crismans
07-19-2011, 02:18 AM
Not trying to put fuel on the fire, but I've never had any trouble with UPS or FedEx finding my house. DHL couldn't find it and ended up leaving my ToD from Wested at Dad's house.

jnicktem
07-19-2011, 02:22 AM
I've never had any experiences with DHL so this should be interesting. I just gotta keep looking at that tracking number I got and see when it's delivered... and if it's not on my front step I gotta go out hunting for it.

bendingoak
07-20-2011, 04:11 AM
Just placed my order for a raiders hero in the crispe hide. I'll post pics and a review when I get it.

jnicktem
07-20-2011, 04:13 AM
Ah so you went for the crispe? I can't wait to see it and get your thoughts on it! As soon as I get my shrunken lamb I will do the same.

TheExit148
07-20-2011, 06:10 PM
Just placed my order for a raiders hero in the crispe hide. I'll post pics and a review when I get it.
I think the crispe looks very nice, maybe better then the shrunken lamb. Looking forward to your pics and info.

RCSignals
07-20-2011, 06:31 PM
The Crispe may better represent the leather of jacket Tony Nowak had to duplicate if that is the look one is after. That jacket was not of 'striated' lamb, as the jacket supposedly in George Lucas office is.
'Cripse' is just the French term for the 'shrunken grain' process anyway, so other than what Wested is using probably being 'sheep skin' rather than 'lamb' it is essentially 'shrunken lamb' anyway.

jnicktem
07-20-2011, 11:10 PM
Well I just got my Wested Hero in shrunken lamb just a few minutes ago. First impressions: it's a very nice jacket. The design is a lot like my Nowak. The leather is very soft, not a ton of character (except for a dent that almost looks like a long cut), and it actually reminds me a lot of the washed goat I used to have. The jacket was made just like I asked, which is very nice.

Here are some pics:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/jnicktem/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_7200.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/jnicktem/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_7201.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/jnicktem/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_7205.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/jnicktem/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_7208.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/jnicktem/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_7211.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/jnicktem/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_7213.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/jnicktem/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_7202.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/jnicktem/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_7203.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/jnicktem/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_7207.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/jnicktem/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_7209.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/jnicktem/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_7212.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/jnicktem/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_7214.jpg

crismans
07-21-2011, 03:06 AM
I do like that pattern. Maybe wetting the leather will bring out some more "character"?

jnicktem
07-21-2011, 04:25 AM
That's what I'm thinking. I plan on wearing it in the rain a few times and see what happens.

RCSignals
07-21-2011, 04:33 AM
It does look good. Quite smooth for shrunken grain lamb but as said. wearing it in the rain may help that out.

jnicktem
07-21-2011, 04:36 AM
That's actually why I ordered it with some extra length. I do plan on letting this get soaked.

jnicktem
07-21-2011, 07:31 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/jnicktem/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_7221.jpg

Kevin Anderson
07-21-2011, 11:30 PM
If they would do the regular Raiders in a SL hide, I would definitely look at it. And then probably have to get a Hero in dark, soft goat. ;)

While I understand the reasoning behind Peter's decision, it is a bit disappointing. I've lost around 15-20 pounds so far, but I'll never hit a 44. I'm just not built for it.

Heh, I must apologise Crismans; seems I wasn't quite right. Wested's Hero pattern is available in pretty much any size, but still only 36-44 in the Shrunken lamb...so....it is a matter
of not having large enough hides to suit. Nothing to do at all with keeping the proper proportions and correct look of the jacket, as I was informed.

crismans
07-22-2011, 04:19 AM
Got you, Kevin. Which brings up the question of why Wested can't get hides large enough to suit. Nowak did (I had one) and Wings can get them too. I really wish that Wested could as well. I'd get a Hero in the shrunken lamb in a second.

bendingoak
07-22-2011, 04:07 PM
I think the hide is different. I got a swatch of the crispe and its like Tony's shrunken.

RCSignals
07-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Well 'crispe' after all is shrunken grain process. Tony did have lambskins.

Zane
07-22-2011, 05:06 PM
Wow nick your jacket looks awesome! I like the look of the overall appearance. How does it fit snug or loose? I really can't wait to watch your jacket age and get weathered looking! I'm curious about buying one of these. March is usually the best time to buy from Wested; meaning the sterling is usually at it's lowest.

Thanks for posting, I'm glad it's a perfect fit!

hovitos loincloth
07-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Looks as nice as the Nowak without the "crocodile handbag" texture. :toast:

Kt Templar
07-22-2011, 05:29 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/jnicktem/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_7221.jpg

So digging those pocket flaps. :toast:

I think that will look fantastic with a bit of wetting and wearing. These skins are like a blank canvas, the character is in there, it just needs to be released!

RCSignals
07-22-2011, 06:47 PM
Looks as nice as the Nowak without the "crocodile handbag" texture. :toast:

They don't all have "crocodile handbag" texture. LOL But it is the nature of the grain of some Lamb/sheep skin

Actually Wested's photo of the Crispe did, good to hear it was a bad photo.

Can't wait to see what nick's does after getting wet.

hovitos loincloth
07-22-2011, 10:26 PM
Dunno if Peter's adoption of the "Crispe" hide is related to what he thinks is a desired hide choice from the jacket buying public but it just doesn't say "Indy" to me in any incarnation of the jacket. The SL just rocks tho' and a good deal cheaper than the TNO/Riley product.

RCSignals
07-22-2011, 11:53 PM
Crispe is a misleading term. It's all 'Shrunken lamb' in essence. From what I've been told the actual 'Crispe' is not as 'Crocodile' as the photo.
Peter has said in the past that the leather he used was grainy, and used as is, without cutting out the bits that normally would be. You can see the different grain effects in movie jacket, but most people view the old poor quality video and grabs as being ultra smooth. A reason Wested met the public demand for ultra smooth leather on some previous offerings.
Some people will always 'see' ultra smooth in the Raiders jacket, and that's fine.

bendingoak
07-23-2011, 12:34 AM
I received a swatch of crispe in the mail a couple of days ago. I compared it to the ones I got from Riley and they are the same.

Dunno if Peter's adoption of the "Crispe" hide is related to what he thinks is a desired hide choice from the jacket buying public but it just doesn't say "Indy" to me in any incarnation of the jacket. The SL just rocks tho' and a good deal cheaper than the TNO/Riley product.

jnicktem
07-23-2011, 04:39 AM
Well I soaked the jacket in the shower today and wore it dry (mostly dry). I will let it finish drying tonight and take a look at it in the morning and see if there are any changes. As of right now I am really liking this jacket... and that's saying something.

bendingoak
07-23-2011, 04:45 AM
Can't wait to see the results Nick.

Zane
07-23-2011, 05:36 AM
Me too! :toast:

RCSignals
07-23-2011, 05:43 AM
me three :sheep:

Glad to hear you are liking the jacket Nick

jnicktem
07-23-2011, 10:14 PM
Well now that the jacket has dried completely I have decided that I made a good decision in getting the shrunken lamb!

The grain popped out a bit... nothing exciting, just more "pebbly" if that makes sense. And I have noticed a few striations that I didn't see before. I bet if I do a few more water treatments it will pop out even more.

Also, it is fitting MUCH better! Especially in the sleeves (more narrow).

crismans
07-24-2011, 01:18 AM
Well now that the jacket has dried completely I have decided that I made a good decision in getting the shrunken lamb!

The grain popped out a bit... nothing exciting, just more "pebbly" if that makes sense. And I have noticed a few striations that I didn't see before. I bet if I do a few more water treatments it will pop out even more.

Also, it is fitting MUCH better! Especially in the sleeves (more narrow).

Glad to hear it! You guys that fit the offered sizes are making me jealous.

bendingoak
07-24-2011, 02:33 PM
pics Nick, Pics.

crismans
07-25-2011, 02:39 AM
Yeah, Nick, we need pics of the jacket now that you've wetted it. And John, be sure to post pics of the Crispe leather when you get your jacket. I know that crispe is another "form" of shrunken lamb, if I'm understanding correctly. It is offered in the bigger sizes so that might be my outlet if it has many of the SL characteristics.

bendingoak
07-25-2011, 02:30 PM
Yeah, Nick, we need pics of the jacket now that you've wetted it. And John, be sure to post pics of the Crispe leather when you get your jacket. I know that crispe is another "form" of shrunken lamb, if I'm understanding correctly. It is offered in the bigger sizes so that might be my outlet if it has many of the SL characteristics.

I have a swatch of the crispe from wested and 3 swatches from Nowak and they are the same. The only difference is how grainy or how pebble they are nut the 3 from Nowak are different from each other. I think that was the reason 3 were sent to me.

jnicktem
07-25-2011, 10:32 PM
I wish I could get better pictures taken, because these aren't really showing what I see. But if you look at my original pictures from when I first got it you will notice that the leather is mostly smooth. Now after wetting it a few times the leather is starting to gain some character. There are striations developing and it is beginning to have the pebbly look that my Nowak in shrunken lamb has.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/jnicktem/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_7242.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/jnicktem/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_7243.jpg

And I haven't even had this jacket for very long. I wonder what it will look like in a month?

Zane
07-26-2011, 12:13 AM
Awesome Nick! Looking better ever day! :banllama:

PLATON
07-26-2011, 10:28 PM
looks like nowak and nothing like the movie :(

Raider S
07-26-2011, 10:48 PM

I think that's called throwing gasoline on the campfire...

indydude18
07-29-2011, 07:25 AM

Hmm why do you say that Platon? :wtf:

Raider S
08-04-2011, 07:54 PM
So Platon, are you going to explain your comment or just act like a little bitch and take cheap shots for no reason?

RCSignals
08-04-2011, 08:35 PM
That isn't a new opinion for Platon. It's OK it's his opinion. Peter must think it's right, (the jacket that is) he made the originals.

I'm just curious what it is Platon sees differently in the movie

Raider S
08-04-2011, 08:44 PM
It's his opinion. Whoopee. At least flush the toilet if you shit in it.

neutronbomb
08-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Maybe it has to do with the pocket picture below of the Wested Jacket. There's a couple of threads floating around where's he's commented about whether there's piping or not on the pockets of the movie jackets.

http://www.fortuneandglory.org/index.php?topic=1593.0

and specifically the "Raven Bar" jacket thread of his: http://www.fortuneandglory.org/index.php?topic=1138.0

I disagree with him as I believe the Raven Bar and Flying Wing jackets are the same jacket, The Main Hero Jacket. Or maybe it has to do with the pocket size. He started a thread about that awhile back: http://www.fortuneandglory.org/index.php?topic=1190.0

Either way, he managed to pack a lot of insinuation into a short comment. That Nowak didn't have an actual film jacket to copy because to him it looks nothing like the jacket(s) in the movie and that Peter must have directly copied a Nowak jacket because it looks just like one.

hovitos loincloth
08-07-2011, 06:55 PM
I can't fathom why the "crispe" is included as a premium leather choice when it's one of, IMO, the least SA leathers out there. Every time I see it, and the TNO jackets that have the same huge cell pebbling all it brings to mind is this:

http://www.daryljoyce.co.uk/media/22659/doctor-who-and-the-silurians-cave-monster-2.jpg

What's the appeal guys?

Kt Templar
08-07-2011, 09:15 PM
The appeal is that it's the closest to the striations or ribs seen on the Flying Wing and the Truck Chase jacket. I think 'Crispe' probably over emphasises it. I maintain that the ideal leather is a non artificially shrunk sheep leather with merino in the mix somewhere giving it the striated ribby character.

Kt Templar
08-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Wow, the edit button goes away quick!

This sort of leather if you can find it in good enough grade, the stuff I have here tends to be full of holes.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/7154/merinoi.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/27/merinoi.jpg/)

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/9594/merino2.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/163/merino2.jpg/)

hovitos loincloth
08-07-2011, 10:09 PM
KT, striations, yes I can see that it on the movie jacket. Huge areas of crocodile skin? Nope. Seems overkill to get a certain effect that only appears on a small percentage area of the screen used jacket. The samples you've shown look great. The crispe jackets I've seen must've been made with jurassic sheep. ;D

Kevin Anderson
08-08-2011, 02:04 AM
Gotta agree with Hovitos Loincloth; some texture is great (KT's leather above looks perfect), but when you receive a jacket made up entirely of 'texture', it can be a little.. alarming.
My Nowak in Shrunken Lamb reminded me of some sort of 'Pimp' jacket every time I put it on! :D
I think I've said it before, but in my opinion Gunslingers first Nowak Raiders got it really right. The second, while it does seem to fit better, not so right. Too crocodile.

jnicktem
08-08-2011, 03:27 AM
My Nowak in Shrunken Lamb doesn't really have that crocodile texture to it... it just has a lot of striations. To me it looks perfect for a Raiders jacket.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/jnicktem/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_5046.jpg

RCSignals
08-08-2011, 03:31 AM
It is all about what someone wants and what they think they 'see' as opposed ot what was. Some people want an absolte baby's butt smooth hide, and that's fine too.

The original jacket Tony Nowak had did have that course type of graining, although not as course as how Kevin's jacket turned out. It didn't have much if any 'striations', although as we know there was at least one jacket that did have quite noticably.
Kt's leather there is shrunken grain, although a milder sample, and of Merino. The amount of grain can be adjusted in the tanning process, Kt's being in on one end, Neutronbomb's on the other. What Kevin received was possibly from some of neutronbomb's leather. (It was exactly what Neutronbomb wanted, and so extreme in process the tanner refused to do it ever again)
Different breeds of sheep produce a different result, only Merino and MerinoX having the 'striated' lines effect. The jackets made for Raiders were most obviously a mix of types of sheep/lamb breeds.

bdgsi11
09-03-2011, 04:40 AM

John, did you receive your jacket yet? If so, can you post a pic or two of you wearing it? Also, what do you think of it?

jnicktem
09-29-2011, 03:32 AM
Not the best pics, but here are a couple of pics of my Wested Hero in Shrunken Lamb. This jacket has been completely soaked several times, and has developed some great character and has formed well to my body.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/jnicktem/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_7298.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/jnicktem/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_7295.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/jnicktem/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_7296.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/jnicktem/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_7297.jpg

indydude18
09-29-2011, 04:20 AM
Nice! Looks alot like your Nowak Nick ;D

jnicktem
09-29-2011, 04:33 AM
Thanks! It does resemble my Nowak quite a bit! Which is really saying something.

PLATON
09-29-2011, 05:14 PM
Hi,
this is the first time I visit this thread after my last post.
I haven't explained my opinion because I totally forgot about it

this is the reason why

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/716/yellowhj.jpg

Peter has tried to replicate the Nowak pattern (I don't blame him) and not re-create the film jacket pattern.

The film jacket (be it the main hero, the imam, the hawaii or whatever) has the following main differences compared with the Nowak

1. It is longer
2. It is baggier
3. Due to the fact that it is longer, the pockets appear to be smaller, (if we take it for granted that the Nowak pockets are the right size)

I personally still don't believe that the Nowak jacket was patterned after an original.
I am sorry but the 'cause I said so' explanation days are over. Long time.

Also, the amount of lies all these years have created a big big pile
http://amazingdata.com/mediadata8/Image/amazing_fun_science_technology_20090729121303156.j pg

TheExit148
09-29-2011, 05:46 PM
Sorry man, but the mannequin is angled differently then the screen shot, its not the same angle making it look shorted. Your HF screencap is so blurry you can't see where the jacket ends. You get a better quality shot of HF in the same stance, and I'll match it to my TN jacket with same back length; 23".

RCSignals
09-29-2011, 05:47 PM
You've shown those two photos before for comparison, but I don't think they are valid for that comparison of those details. The perspective is off, and especially for the screen grab.

Unfortunately the purveyor of tall tales and lies has polluted the story of the jacket Tony Nowak had to examine. He wants people to think he was implicit in TN getting the jacket and knows where the jacket came from, who delivered it etc etc. He doesn't, his claims are all the pile as in the the photo you posted. Despite his insistance, it was not the jacket in George Lucas office (if there even is one). That should be clear simply by reading his description of the jacket in GLs office, and also noticing how that description changes with the current story of the day. The story was also set off track by the story of the jacket ' Mr Sparks' had sent to Tony Nowak. Further muddying the issue are all the jackets made by TN that have custom requested changes which get shown as ' pure Raiders'
That said, the jacket TN had was a screen used hero worn Raiders jacket which can be seen in the Hawaii scene and other scenes as have been outlined in various threads here.

All that aside you and everyone else are entitled to believe whatever you choose.

TheExit148
09-29-2011, 06:11 PM
Ok this is as close as I can get with the pictures available to me. This is pretty 99% accurate. HF jacket is slightly lower due to it sitting off his shoulders more then mine is. My jacket is also zipped up, where HF's is unzipped. I drew the bottom line from the lowest point on HF jacket to mine. It matches almost 100%. You can even see the way I'm standing, the yoke isn't straight across, just the bottom goes up at an angle ever so slightly.

http://i.imgur.com/19NvU.jpg

PLATON
09-29-2011, 07:46 PM
Sorry for my pic, I couldn't find any better.

Dear TheExit148, your photo is VERY convincing really. I take back everything I said.
This a 99% or 100% match. I cannot remember seeing any better.

Now please answer this question.
What size jacket do you normally wear and what size is the jacket you wear in this photo?
and especially, what is the back length? 23 in ?

indydude18
09-29-2011, 07:49 PM
TheExit148,

Is this the Nowak you sent me?

If it is, I'd be willing to take detailed measurements to whoever is interested.

RCSignals
09-29-2011, 10:53 PM
Sorry for my pic, I couldn't find any better.

Dear TheExit148, your photo is VERY convincing really. I take back everything I said.
This a 99% or 100% match. I cannot remember seeing any better.

Now please answer this question.
What size jacket do you normally wear and what size is the jacket you wear in this photo?
and especially, what is the back length? 23 in ?

He posted above the back length of his is 23"

Sorry man, but the mannequin is angled differently then the screen shot, its not the same angle making it look shorted. Your HF screencap is so blurry you can't see where the jacket ends. You get a better quality shot of HF in the same stance, and I'll match it to my TN jacket with same back length; 23".

[/quote]

TheExit148
09-29-2011, 11:04 PM
Indeed it is my Nowak that I sold to you indydude. Back length is 23" same as the storm flap length. That jacket was a 38 basically or 39; 21.25" across the chest.

Honestly, the TNO Raiders jacket is super weird. When you wear pants that are "old school" and are higher waisted it looks longer. When you wear it with jeans or most of today's pants, it looks shorter. If the angle isn't right and is off slightly, it looks different.

neutronbomb
09-30-2011, 01:39 AM
Very good posts Exit.

neutronbomb
10-01-2011, 02:07 AM
I made a present for you Platon. I didn't even stamp it. It's yours to have and to love forever and ever.

click and then click again for 100% and then save as your desktop.
http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt235/neutronbomb_photos/ROTLA%20-%20Short%20Jacket/th_platon-1.jpg (http://s615.photobucket.com/albums/tt235/neutronbomb_photos/ROTLA%20-%20Short%20Jacket/?action=view&current=platon-1.jpg)
http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt235/neutronbomb_photos/ROTLA%20-%20Short%20Jacket/platon-1.jpg

I like the fit of your new jacket jnicktem.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/jnicktem/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_7298.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/jnicktem/Indiana%20Jones/IMG_7295.jpg

bdgsi11
10-07-2011, 04:17 AM
My resized Crispe lamb arrived on Monday from Peter and I am very excited about it! He did an absolutely fantastic job based upon only the photos that I sent him. I am really, really impressed and I'm very happy with the Crispe lamb. It's a very nice leather that can easily be molded to hold any shape and it doesn't feel heavy at all, but like a very substantial quality leather jacket. Can't wait to have this one broken in and I've already worn it in the rain. Hats off to you Peter, thank you!

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv184/Bdgsi11/d1476e5a.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv184/Bdgsi11/94e6dd2a.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv184/Bdgsi11/567de8db.jpg

RCSignals
10-07-2011, 04:52 AM
Looks really nice bdgsi11. Wear it continuously for a while and it should become "yours" quickly.

From what I can tell the Crispe is really just another shrunken grain lamb. Crispe is the French term for that process.
I suspect the difference between it and the other shrunken lamb Wested used is their 'crispe' doesn't have 'striations'

Anyway, looks like it should break in nicely. I like it.

Kt Templar
10-07-2011, 09:10 AM
'Crispe' has the shrunken cells and also merino striations.

The 'Shrunken Lamb' is more akin to the washed goat from a little while ago, it is a veg tanned sheep leather it doesn't have the usual pigmented topcoat so the colour of the leather is more 'organic'. It often shows the natural ceases and some occasional areas of grain. I don't think it was a merino breed so haven't seem much in the way of ribs on it.

Of the 2 the Crispe feels/looks like a dressier leather out of the box and the Shrunken Lamb more rustic.

Gunslinger
10-07-2011, 09:43 AM
KT, I notice Peter doesn't seem to be offering the Hero on the website anymore. Do you know if he's out of the Shrunken Lamb or something?

Kt Templar
10-07-2011, 10:10 AM
I think both of those skins are out of stock at the moment, he is offering the Hero in the other standard leathers.

bdgsi11
10-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the comment, RCSignals. Here are just two more shots with some gear thrown together. Sorry about the poor image quality.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv184/Bdgsi11/1c5e76ae.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv184/Bdgsi11/dfa2ae91.jpg

TheExit148
10-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Still looking good. What a difference in colour lighting can make. This is a prime example.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv184/Bdgsi11/d1476e5a.jpg http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv184/Bdgsi11/1c5e76ae.jpg

crismans
10-08-2011, 12:22 AM
I'm really impressed with the Crispe. I would dearly love if Peter could source more striated lamb and in sizes enough to accomodate me, but this is very, very nice too. It reminds me quite a bit of the leather Tony Nowak used for his first Raiders.

Gunslinger
10-10-2011, 07:25 AM
Anyone had a go at distressing the shrunken lamb version? Or beat it up a bit? I'm curious to know how well it would reveal undertones.

jnicktem
10-12-2011, 11:06 PM
I've slammed my shrunken lamb hero to the ground several times to rough it up a bit. It has also been completely soaked several times as well.

PLATON
10-18-2011, 10:32 AM
You will love this shot of the back

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/1117/heroback.jpg

TheExit148
10-18-2011, 03:17 PM
I see your photo, and submit one for comparison! My back length is 23.5". I measured last night. It's not at the exact same angle, but close enough to get the idea.

http://i.imgur.com/QwfXi.jpg

RCSignals
10-18-2011, 07:40 PM
You will love this shot of the back

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/1117/heroback.jpg

Looks short, even though he's looking up and leaning back slightly, which should make it look like it is hanging longer at back

djd
11-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Here's a few pics of my Hero in crispe. Love the pattern. The crispe is a bit OTT in terms of texture but I like it and it's quite like some of the TNO shruken lamb I've seen. As others have said, the colour is very different depending on the light. It goes from redish brown in natural light (very like the Raven bar scenes) to much darker under strong light. Very cool jacket and at approximately one fifth of what a TNO would have cost me I'm very pleased.

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/2935/imagetl.jpg
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/2841/imagewkao.jpg
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/940/imagelcu.jpg
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/343/imageujba.jpg

On PLATONs point- I went for a 26" back length on this one and it's the first Indy jacket I've had that actually feels long enough there. Might just be my body shape though - I just don't like the feeling that its a bomber jacket as that's not waht I see on screen in Raiders

djd
11-19-2011, 07:44 PM
Incidentally , I'm not knocking the price of the TNO jackets here - I'm just saying that I couldn't have afforded one!

RCSignals
11-19-2011, 07:55 PM
That looks very good djd, I think it's the best Raiders jacket you've had so far.

djd
11-19-2011, 08:09 PM
Yes for sure RC. The pattern is great and I think that it actually fits me properly - which helps. More luck than judgement mind you as getting accurate sizing info out of Wested was tricky...

As I say, the leather is OTT but I'm usually trying to make the flat stuff more interesting through distressing so at least I don't have to do that with this one! This pattern shows me how much too small the pockets and collar are on my Magnoli (for all the 'expert' help he got with that...)

djd
11-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Just a few more shots to give you an idea of fit and the length. I'm 6' and about 200lbs at present. Chest is currently about 46. This Wested is a 44 with a 26" back and 25.5" arms.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/2849/imageext.jpg
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/1202/imagecmd.jpg
http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/2742/imageuvd.jpg
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/5259/imagekvs.jpg
http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/751/imagesrp.jpg

RCSignals
11-20-2011, 09:16 PM
I think the back length might be slightly long compared to the movie jacket, but that doesn't matter. What matters is how comfortable it feels to you, that you like it, and you will wear it whereas you wouldn't wear it shorter.

Gunslinger
11-20-2011, 09:56 PM
Yeah, I was about to say the same thing re the back, but the length front and back is actually better on you proportionally the way it is. Just the perfect body-sleeve height ratio.

djd
11-21-2011, 05:33 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't argue with you regarding the actual length of the film jacket but I'm with platon when it comes to thinking most replicas look too short on people who aren't Ford. To me the jacket I see comes to a point half way down the buttock. If its any shorter than that then if I were to replicate the raven bar fight pose the jacket would end up above the belt

RCSignals
11-21-2011, 05:46 AM
With the movie jacket it's all in it's unusual cut. People don't understand it until they have one of the Raiders jackets in it's original cut and size configuration. Before experiencing it the given measurements defy reason.
Of course that size doesn't fit everyone, and that's where proportioning comes in.

hovitos loincloth
11-21-2011, 05:48 PM
Yes for sure RC. The pattern is great and I think that it actually fits me properly - which helps. More luck than judgement mind you as getting accurate sizing info out of Wested was tricky...

As I say, the leather is OTT but I'm usually trying to make the flat stuff more interesting through distressing so at least I don't have to do that with this one! This pattern shows me how much too small the pockets and collar are on my Magnoli (for all the 'expert' help he got with that...)

Yay, Derek's back. Good looking jacket, gotta agree that the crispe looks like Silurian skin.

crismans
11-22-2011, 12:02 AM
Great looking jacket, DJD. Since it's way up in the air when Peter will be able to source the SL again (and even then, if it would be available in my size), I've thought lot about getting a Wested in this hide. Like many have said, it looks a lot like the original jacket that Tony made that he said was close in grain to the one he had.

RCSignals
11-22-2011, 05:29 AM
the crisp is shrunken grain lamb. Actually so is Wested's 'shrunken lamb' except from photos it appears to be a different breed of sheep, as Tony's 'second' SL was. Remember Crispe is just the French word for the shrunken grain process. 'shrunken lamb' was Tony's term for it.
Maybe nefarious can post about his visit to tony and meeting the Frenchman who used to operate the tannery in France that Tony bought from in the '80s.

Ravenswood
01-14-2012, 01:24 AM
Hello all!
Here's a sneak preview VIDEO of my Hero jacket as it appeared right out of the bag. It's a chrome tanned lambskin, and I gotta say that it's a tougher lambskin than I have received in Wested Raiders jackets prior. That doesn't bother me a bit. I am all for proper drape in the front panels, but I also want something slightly thicker, to last me through the ages. I think with some breaking in, some good front wrinkles will begin to appear. If not, so be it! ;)
Also, I got it a bit long. Certainly long in the sleeves, because I have monkey arms, but also longer in the body, as I have a longer torso. I think it worked out great! Still short enough to look more like an adventurer's jacket than a sport-coat!
Trying on the Wested Raiders Hero Jacket for the first time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiXLUN9Fk6s#)
I will post pictures once I get it back from the Leather tailor's, as it is currently getting trimmed in the sleeves.
Hope you dig it!
Thanks
Ravenswood

RCSignals
01-14-2012, 02:04 AM
I think it looks good. Did you wear it a bit for the sleeves to take up some before having them shortened? Anyway much better to start with too long sleeves than the other option.
The back length might e a touch long but still looks OK and may take up a bit after wearing, wearing out in the rain etc etc.

Anyway enjoy that jacket!

Ravenswood
01-14-2012, 03:42 AM
Thanks RC! :)
I wore it around a few days to let the sleeves crinkle up and conform, although no shrinkage has taken place. I strongly cautioned the tailor not to exceed cutting off 1.25 inches... I took into account a little shrinkage down the line. I gotta tellya, I am biting my nails down to the cuticles, waiting for it! :banghead: LOL

K-Wad
01-14-2012, 04:25 AM
DJD,

That jacket looks good!
The longer back length works for you.

Ravenswood,

The new jacket looks much better on you.
Is the chrome tanned lamb a different hide than what they are calling the "Seal brown" in the drop down menu?

Ravenswood
01-14-2012, 05:53 AM
Thanks K-Wad!
And OOPS Yea, correction: I meant SEAL brown, not chrome tanned.
Lol, I always confuse the two terms in my mind :doh:

Ravenswood
01-14-2012, 06:13 AM
YEa watch. My next jacket will be made from:
http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy33/Ravenswood70/cp36-1.jpg
Chrome Seal!
:D ;)

tomek9210
05-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Hi, I'm Tomek, some of you guys can know me from COW. I have been reading F&G for some time now and I finally decided to join.

I've received my Hero in dk brown lamb a couple days ago. First thought - amazing. I love the collar width and length, that's what I was looking for in Indy jacket. Second plus - Wested followed my pocket size specs. I ordered them a bit bigger. The back without collarstand was as long as the stormflap with collarstand, another win in my book.
There was one problem however. Last time I've measured myself, it was 6ft 3.5" (191+cm) so I've ordered it with 26" back and 27.5" sleeves. Sleeves were perfect length, but I think that the jacket was simply too long.

I've measured it and guess what I got.
The back measured 64.5 cm (25.4") without collarstand, 67 cm (26.4") with collarstand, the front along sotrmflap measured 64.5 cm (25.4") with collarstand.

I contacted Gemma about it and asked about return. She wrote back, that I can return it, send a charge and they will make me a new jacket. So how could I refuse that :) ?
I've sent it few days ago and included a note regarding what I would like to change.
I wrote that I'd like to have back 61 cm (24") without collarstand, 64 cm (25.2") with collarstand and the front along stormflap with collarstand at 61 cm (24").

Keep fingers crossed! I really liked the Hero fit and I think it will be perfect!

djd
05-25-2012, 06:27 PM
Its definitely their best version of the jacket I think. What size did you ask for the pockets to be on yours? I thought they were already a fair bit larger than the old Wested pockets?

tomek9210
05-25-2012, 07:32 PM
I requested 8.5"x6.5" pockets.

djd
05-25-2012, 07:54 PM
They're 7" by 8" on my hero. How do these sizes compare to the TNO raiders?

RCSignals
05-29-2012, 12:35 AM
I don't think that other than size this Hero jacket needs custom specification of details.
Unless of course there is some personal reason for it.

tomek9210
06-28-2012, 07:58 PM
I received my new Hero few days ago. Let the pics speak for me:
http://fotoo.pl//out.php/i293727_dsc01887.jpg
http://fotoo.pl//out.php/i293728_dsc01888.jpg
http://fotoo.pl//out.php/i293729_dsc01889.jpg
http://fotoo.pl//out.php/i293730_dsc01890.jpg
It's a dark brown lamb, but in that light it looks like Raven bar chocolate jacket. I love it. It needs some breaking in. I think I made good decision with the back length, I just feel that it is the Raiders jacket.
What do you think?

Gunslinger
06-28-2012, 08:54 PM
I think you nailed the dimensions perfectly for you. I think it will be an awesome looking jacket after you've broken it in properly. Personally at this stage I'd be wetting it thoroughly (if not chucking it in the washer) and wearing it until it dries. But that depends on how into the craziness you are! Congrats! (If you do wet/wash it, just be sure to keep tugging at the cuffs while it dries to stop the arms from shrinking)

Mr. Furious
06-28-2012, 10:46 PM
AWESOME Tomek. That looks totally customized to you. You got all the proportions right. Did you bug Wested or did they just comply with what you asked. I am really impressed. Especially on the fit.
AND the yoke is really cool ;)

tomek9210
08-27-2012, 08:34 AM
I wear my Hero nearly everyday (when the temperature outside allows of course). I'm so glad that I exchanged it for shorter one. It's just perfect for my height and built.

I have a question. Is there a possibility of editing my own posts? I would like to edit the previous one with photos. They're dead and I want to bring them back.

admin
08-27-2012, 06:25 PM
There's a time limit on editing posts. Please post a new post with the photos/links and I will edit the original post.