PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Jones Trousers

deadseascrolls
08-13-2010, 01:11 AM
Hello Todd!

Let me be the first to provide a post as well as welcome you!! :)

I'd love to hear your experiences and status thus far with the Indiana Jones trousers you've been working on, so if you'd be interested in providing a thread on them, I'd be most grateful. I know many fans have been relishing the moment the "day" comes when they will be donned on the Todd's Costumes website.

Thanks and welcome once again! You're a boon to us fans!

indyclone25
08-13-2010, 02:02 AM
well i have beem impressed with todds stuff and i have the video reviews to prove it ;D
so when he does have more news about the pants i will be in line to order those as well.

deadseascrolls
08-13-2010, 02:11 AM
IndyClone -

No doubt! I have Todd's Indy shirt and did have briefly in my possession his replica Mark VII bag but ended up sending it back in return for collateral toward another pair of his "Aldens". I've yet to buy Wade Egan's replica bag, but I was VERY impressed with Todd's - the color was spot on as was everything else on it (i.e. O-rings, side disc, etc). And to have a cost effective alternative to the original Aldens is absolutely wonderful! I've also heard from a friend of mine that his Uptowner Fedora is actually better quality than a Christy's Adventurer! (and they're the same price about)

By the way, it's hard to tell from the pictures on here, but are you "Chewbacca Jones"? Just trying to put faces with the names.

Thanks for the tolerance! :-[

indyclone25
08-13-2010, 02:52 AM
nope im indyclone25 here and the raven forums and indyclone on c.o.w.

deadseascrolls
08-13-2010, 03:07 AM
IndyClone,

I do apologize - my mistake. As I mentioned, it's hard to see what people really look like as the display pictures are really small. But I see now after I wrote that in the Members section that the fellow I know is listed. So thanks for kindly letting me know. :)

indyclone25
08-13-2010, 12:01 PM
IndyClone,

I do apologize - my mistake. As I mentioned, it's hard to see what people really look like as the display pictures are really small. But I see now after I wrote that in the Members section that the fellow I know is listed. So thanks for kindly letting me know. :)

no problem , hope to chat more about todds stuff here

Todd
08-13-2010, 06:16 PM
Yes, trousers.

We've been working diligently. The main problem is the fabric. We made five or six pairs from various weights of wool just to see how they move. You'll note the trousers in "Raiders" make small wrinkles, meaning that the fabric was not thick and not too limp. We've honed in on the weight, feel, and finish. Erri in France sent me a swatch of Noel Howard's old fabric - our tests confirmed that it is the right color and weight. You can see during the marketplace scenes that the fabric has a nice sheen to it - you only get that from fine quality worsted wool with a tight weave.

We had a factory lined up to make these for us, but they turned out to be too troublesome and wasted a lot of our time. She kept insisting that we wanted maternity pants. Now I'm negotiating with about 10-15 factories that seem easier to work with. We want these right the first time.

Oh, yes, and I did have some help from an owner of a pair of Raiders trousers. He was very helpful with some internal details. Unfortunately, the trousers were sold to a collector in Japan, so I won't get to see them in person. Oh, well, I've really got all I need anyway. I can't make them too good or they'll end up in a Profiles in History auction (not kidding - I spotted a lot of bogus stuff in the last auction!)

indyclone25
08-13-2010, 06:29 PM
will the pants come the different waist sizes with a open leg length that we will have to take to a tailor to have hemmed up? since many people may have a similar waist but not a similar leg length? ;D

Todd
08-13-2010, 06:36 PM
I don't know how many standard sizes we'll be able to have. One thing you must know - to make these look great, they must be altered by a good tailor! Fortunately, the originals were made for easy alteration. They will come hemmed. Because of the military hem, you can take them up, but not let them down. At least with the hem in place, your tailor will know exactly what to do.

deadseascrolls
08-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Todd,

Thanks for taking the time to provide an update! :) I am assuming the fabric is 100% wool Cavalry Twill like the originals? Will you be offering only one color, or will you be offering different varieties to suit each film? As you are probably aware, I'm really on the look out for a beige color and tan/khaki color Indiana Jones trouser. So was curious as to what your plans were as mentioned above.

DSS

Raider S
08-13-2010, 09:23 PM
She kept insisting that we wanted maternity pants.

Maybe this was intended for the 'expanding' Indy fan?

Pants sound good - especially if they are the kind of thing that can be used for "normal" wear and not look silly!

RCSignals
08-13-2010, 09:39 PM
I agree about normal wear. But if done right the should be fine for normal wear or with a blazer or something. It would be nice to get use out of a piece of clothing like this outside of a whole 'costume'

bigrex
08-13-2010, 11:19 PM
She kept insisting that we wanted maternity pants.

Oh my, some people when they get an idea stuck in their head. :'( ??? :laugh:

Noah
08-16-2010, 04:45 AM
Thanks for the update Todd! I'm really looking forward to these.

Nefarious
08-17-2010, 01:12 AM
todd, where are my manners....welcome to the board and it's great to see you here. you've been giving the fans what they've wanted for years (especially me!). i look forward to your trousers once you start marketing them :)

Gunslinger
08-17-2010, 01:33 AM
Todd, I just want to say thank you for being such a stickler for detail and getting things right, and also for being so open about the whole process. I for one love to see all the thought and effort that goes into such offerings and it makes me want them even more.

I have literally zero use for a pair of Indy pants as I am into the various items for practical purposes rather than costuming, but I think I'll get a pair when they come out anyway. I'll give it a shot at seeing how they work as part of my already-eclectic wardrobe.

Todd
08-19-2010, 08:47 PM
I'm insisting on 100% worsted wool cavalry twill. I want the good stuff - nice and smooth feeling. Cheap stuff feels itchy on your legs. Good wool is amazing pants material. In fact, some tailors insist that it is the ONLY pants material.

Wool can be light as a feather, or heavy as lead. It can be cool or warm. It's great. And cavalry twill is especially tough wearing fabric. That's why it was used for military riding pants and is still used for uniforms. It's actually a good choice for outdoor wear. The downside - dry cleaning.

To get the Indy look, it's got to be wool. It's the drape. There's nothing like it.

Color will be Raiders taupe - that's the best way to describe it. It's warm grey-brown.

I'll be sending out my design sketches tonight. We'll see how the potential vendors respond.

Oh, yeah, and you could wear these dress up/dress down. You'd have to put in a crease, though.

indyclone25
08-19-2010, 10:46 PM
getting excited about this news!!!! ^-^

Junior
08-21-2010, 04:26 PM
getting excited about this news!!!! ^-^

I concur! :) This is the last piece I need to finish my ROTLA costume.

scot2525
11-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Any new about the pants yet Todd?

Todd
11-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Yes, the prototype is approved and we are scheduling the fabric weaving now. I'd think Spring as an arrival date.

deadseascrolls
11-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Yes, the prototype is approved and we are scheduling the fabric weaving now. I'd think Spring as an arrival date.

Must hold my bladder I'm so excited to hear this news! I'll DEFINITELY be ordering a pair of these ASAP. How many pair are you planning to issue on the first run Todd? As you're aware, there are quite a few people interested in them, so I wanted to estimate what my chances are acquiring them before the first run run's out? Not that it's overly important; I mean, I've waited this long so I can wait for the 2nd run to come in later if I should miss out on the first.

Thanks so much again for the update! Keep up the great work and gear!

DSS

Todd
11-23-2010, 03:57 PM
We're doing 300 pairs. The size distribution is yet to be determined. It will take about 3 months for the fabric, so there's plenty of time before we have to make those decisions.

deadseascrolls
11-23-2010, 03:59 PM
We're doing 300 pairs. The size distribution is yet to be determined. It will take about 3 months for the fabric, so there's plenty of time before we have to make those decisions.

That sounds like a decent amount Todd. Thanks again! DSS

TheExit148
11-23-2010, 04:55 PM
Put me down for a pair!

Noah
11-24-2010, 04:59 AM
I'm DEFINITELY up for a pair too!

djd
11-24-2010, 09:31 AM
Hopefully Todd can work his usual miracle on price too! Magnoli's pants are nice but just too expensive for me

deadseascrolls
11-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Hopefully Todd can work his usual miracle on price too! Magnoli's pants are nice but just too expensive for me

Granted, the pricing of Magnoli's trousers SEEMS expensive at first look, they actually are the most accurate and most reasonable thus far to the originals. They are tailored to the exact design of the Noel Howards, which, I am convinced, are the most SA trousers as far as drape, bagginess, etc goes. The pricing also includes shipping to you already, so the actual cost of the trousers is probably more like $75-80. As such, you get them tailored exactly to your measurements or the measurements of your favorite pair of trousers, and you can choose from a variety of different colors and textures (i.e. cotton, wool/cotton blend, pure wool, cavalry twill, etc)

As one whose done an extensive amount of research in searching out pure wool cavalry twill fabrics and the trousers in general, I have found only ONE place that carries pure wool cavalry twill at a price that is almost comparable to the PRICE of one of Magnoli's trousers completed. Most cavalry twill fabrics, alone, will run you over $300 just for the fabric alone. Then there's the shipping to Magnoli plus the $75 cost to have them made with the fabric you've sent, so you'd be looking at $380-390 for sure for a pair of pure wool cavalry twill trousers if supplying your own theoretically.

Now I'll admit I'm guilty as well as I have the fabric ready to send to him but just haven't done it yet. As such, I haven't bought a single item from him directly yet and my first pair of Magnoli trousers have been bought second-hand from someone. But my real reasoning for not buying from him yet is the worry about getting my measurements right from someone to send to him. Sure he has a guide online to follow, but I still have worries about myself getting things right for sure.

But I see your point DJD on pricing. However, as Todd will be making these out of pure wool cavalry twill, and unless he can find a miracle vendor who can sell him the right fabric cheaper than $100 a yard, I would imagine the possible price of these trousers to be at AT LEAST $150. Just an educated guess.

DSS

djd
11-24-2010, 03:01 PM
Wasnt saying they were too expensive DSS, just they're too expensive for me at the moment! I have a pair of magnoli pants from a few years back and they're very nice. That said my favourite Raiders trousers are my Westeds. Not too far off the colour of the NHs I've seen. They were second hand from eBay so I was lucky there! Whether or not I can affford Todds I'm sure they'll be great as his stuff always is in my experience :)

deadseascrolls
11-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Wasnt saying they were too expensive DSS, just they're too expensive for me at the moment! I have a pair of magnoli pants from a few years back and they're very nice. That said my favourite Raiders trousers are my Westeds. Not too far off the colour of the NHs I've seen. They were second hand from eBay so I was lucky there! Whether or not I can affford Todds I'm sure they'll be great as his stuff always is in my experience :)

Hi djd! :) I fully understood your meaning behind writing that and hope my reply didn't come across as condescending, questioning, or rude. I was simply taking the opportunity with my post to reach out to the broader viewing audience and provide all the benefits of Magnoli's trousers for those that may feel his trousers are too expensive period. I am in the same boat you are djd as there are many things I would love to buy but are too expensive for me as well as the time. Not that the items are too expensive period, just that they're out of my price-range at this time. So please note my reply wasn't to bash or criticize you. ;)

I agree with you that, so far, my favorite trousers are my Wested's. I am one of the lucky few who have skinnier legs, so the taper is not near as prominent as it is with some people's. The coloring is more of a rosy pink than the Noel Howards which are fairly lighter and match more with LC and CS. Overall, for $130 shipped to you, they still cannot be beat. Granted, there are a few aspects which are not totally correct (such as the pocket flaps), but they're still a wonderful pair.

Hmmm.... you say you got your pair on Ebay recently, eh? Was the fellow who sold you them named "jtmcdow"? If so, you should be thanking me! :D I say that because I was the original buyer of them but admit I chickened out and asked him if he'd allow me to back out of the trousers and give the 2nd highest bidder a chance at them. He did and told me they took them in a heartbeat. I was really stupid at the time and regret my decision as they were a great pair of trousers and were still cheaper than order another pair from the UK. So if you were the other fellow, I extend to you my congratulations! You honestly deserved them more than I did.

All the best to you djd!

DSS

djd
11-24-2010, 07:41 PM
I got them about a year ago I think. I was lucky that the guy I got them from had already hemed them and was the same size as me - not the correct type of hem but that has never bothered me.

I didn't think you were getting at me mate. I just didn't want anyone to think I was getting at magnoli or his prices. His stuff is great quality and if money was no object I'd go to him ! I'd also have a load of other things from his store for that matter!

deadseascrolls
11-24-2010, 08:12 PM
As always djd, thanks for your reply. Indeed I wasn't getting at you. And I didn't gather that you were getting at Magnoli so I think you're perfectly fine there. As for the trousers, I'm pleased you got the perfect pair already and at a great bargain I'm assuming. And thus I'm gathering it was not you that got the pair I passed up. Schucks but still, the fellow/lady who DID get them got a great pair.

DSS